Save big on fuel costs: State government unveils exclusive discount for Seniors Card holders

In a move that's sure to bring a sigh of relief to many, one state government has announced a new fuel discount scheme for Seniors Card holders.

This initiative, in partnership with United Petroleum, will allow over 415,000 eligible seniors to enjoy a discount of four cents per litre on fuel purchases at select service stations across South Australia.

The discount is exclusively available at United fuel stations, with 26 sites in metro Adelaide and six sites in regional South Australia participating in the scheme.

The four cents per litre discount can be used once a day for a maximum purchase of 150 litres in a single transaction.

SDC 5.jpeg
Seniors in South Australia can avail of a four-cent discount per litre at United Petroleum fuel stations. Image source: United Petroleum.

To be eligible for a Seniors Card and this fuel discount, you must be a permanent South Australian resident aged over 60 and work less than 20 hours per week.

This initiative comes at a crucial time when household transport costs have been on the rise.

In June 2023, it was reported that household transport costs had risen by a staggering 7.4 per cent throughout the first three months of the year, outpacing the inflation rate of 1.4 per cent over the same period.

The average Australian household now spends more than $400 each week, or 15.8 per cent of its income, on car-related expenses such as car loans, insurance, fuel, and maintenance.

This is a significant increase from the previous three-month period when the figure stood at 15.1 per cent.

Adding to the financial strain, the Australian government recently raised the fuel excise.

The latest increase on February 5, 2024, took it from 48.8 cents per litre to 49.6 cents per litre before GST.

While the 0.8-cent per litre hike may seem small, it can add up quickly, potentially costing an extra $64 for a refill for a large SUV with an 80-litre fuel tank—before GST is applied.

In similar news, a recent move by the federal government could save Australians up to $1,000 a year in fuel costs.

The new standards, which will apply to new passenger and light commercial vehicles, are expected to encourage car makers to sell more electric and fuel-efficient vehicles.

This move is not only beneficial for consumers' wallets but also for the environment, as it promotes the use of vehicles that emit less carbon dioxide.

You can read more about this news here.
Key Takeaways

• South Australia has announced a fuel discount initiative for Seniors Card holders in partnership with United Petroleum.
  • Eligible Seniors Card holders will receive a discount of four cents per litre at 30 select United service stations across the state.
  • The fuel discount can be applied once daily for a maximum of 150 litres in a single transaction.
  • The relief package comes as household transport costs increased by 7.4 per cent in the early months of the year, with the average Australian household spending over $400 weekly on transport-related expenses.
What are your thoughts on this new fuel discount scheme? Do you think it will make a significant difference to your budget? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Editor’s Note: This story initially listed the maximum amount of fuel available for discounting as 15 litres. It has since been corrected to indicate the correct limit of 150 litres. We regret the oversight and thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Should that be 'minimum' purchase of 15 litres? Who would refuel only 15 litres for a grand saving of 60 cents? Perhaps the decision to leave SA 20 odd years ago for the QLD lifestyle was a wise choice :)

Are you serious 60 cents savings for $100+ expense? I would spent more petrol to drive to United petrol station. Just another gimmick .

Reactions: Helenmac
Makes very little difference.
I have had a 4c per litre discount through Richmond football club.
It was great when I was working and driving around all day.
But now retired $50 diesel last up to a month and I get $0.80c - $1 discount every time!

ITS A CONthe nsw gov scrapped the $250 voucher which was of more use than 4c a litre off at united , i wrote to the premier about this and just got fobbed off saying it had nothing to do with gvt it was uniteds idea, i have to travel a 140 kms round trip to save4c a litre and as for the $1000 saving this comes from a minister who wants to close all of our mines besides who can afford a new car, dont get me started roy

I'm in NSW and normally get E10 at my local Woolies as it's normally cheaper and then I've got 4c off from them and 4c off from my energy supplier, so always 8c off a litre. That suits me🙂

And there didn't seem to be a lot of publicity about the fuel tax being sneakily raised?😕 Works out about 55c a litre now

I can't stop laughing, WHO spends $7.00 at the petrol pump. Tomorrow you want me
to do it again as I, like many dont live near a servo, and every time you are on the road, you have a high risk of accident,road rage or car stolen ALL TO SAVE 60 CENTS, P L E A S E

Ooooh, lucky South Australians!!! Up to 60 cents a day saving on probably less than a third of a tank of petrol. I find that most places that have 4cents discount are more expensive in any case, so don't use them.

Reactions: Bunyip57
To all you whingers. Geez you certainly love to whinge and moan don't you...even about a GIFT!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You shouldn't criticize a gift, even if you don't like it very much. A gift is a gift that didn't have to be given.

You complainers must be a joy to be around (100% sarcasm). Now go sit in your naughty corners and behave like adults not petulant children.