Sailor Jessica Watson shares emotional Instagram post after her partner's shocking death

Australian sailing sensation, Jessica Watson, took to Instagram to pour her heart out in the wake of her partner Cameron Dale's sudden and shocking death. The world-famous sailor, who captured everyone's attention when she successfully circumnavigated the globe solo at just 16 years of age, shared her grief over the loss of her beloved boyfriend.

Cameron Dale passed away unexpectedly in 2021, aged 29, due to a catastrophic stroke resulting from undiagnosed high blood pressure. Watson's emotional outpouring came in the form of an open and honest admission on World Hypertension Day on the 17th of May.

1684471967117.png
Cameron Dale and Jessica Watson. Source: Jessica Watson/Instagram

'Did you know hypertension (high blood pressure in plain speak) is the leading risk factor of stroke?' Watson wrote on her Instagram post.

The couple had been together for a decade, and while looking back at Cameron's unexpected passing, Watson urged her followers to make time for regular health checkups, specifically blood pressure screening.

'Australia's Biggest Blood Pressure Check is running throughout May... and I'm making the pledge to check my blood pressure,' she shared.

'It's actually not something I've asked my doctor to check recently. Of all people, I should know better!'

1684471967217.png
Watson pleasantly surprised her followers by sharing a never-before-seen photograph of Cameron, revealing a special moment captured between them. Source: Jessica Watson/Instagram

Watson's candid message resonated with her millions of fans. She encouraged them to not only check their own blood pressure but also to remind their friends and family members as well.

'Please do the same and remind (or better harass, nag, insist!) your mates to—no matter how young and healthy they are.'

Reinforcing the importance of regular monitoring, Watson revealed the devastating consequences of her partner's undiagnosed hypertension.

'Cam was only 29 when he suffered a fatal stroke as a result of undiagnosed hypertension in 2021,' Jessica shared.

'I've said it before, and I'll no doubt nag you about it again. It's such a simple, painless thing, and it could save a life.'

In the heartfelt post, Watson also included two never-before-seen photographs of her and Cameron, including a touching image of the couple sharing a tender moment.

Appearing on The Morning Show back in February, Watson spoke to hosts Larry Emdur and Kylie Gillies about her partner's tragic passing and the difficult time she had been going through.

'It's been an extraordinarily tough year-and-a-half, in a way that you can't quickly describe, but obviously sailing has been an extraordinary lifeline through all of that.'

Watson's message managed to hit home with many, including The Morning Show host Kylie Gillies, who noted: 'I read your story on the weekend about the high blood pressure and actually went and checked my blood pressure, as a direct result of reading your story.'

Understanding High Blood Pressure​

High blood pressure (or hypertension) is an important yet silent condition, which is why it can be so dangerous when left unchecked. Hypertension is caused when the force of blood against artery walls is too strong and can even lead to a fatal stroke, as was sadly the case for Jessica Watson’s partner Cameron Dale. The causes and symptoms of high blood pressure are many, so it’s important to understand them in order to catch and manage it as early as possible.

Age is a major factor contributing to high blood pressure, as the risk increases with age. Therefore, it’s a good idea to start keeping track of your blood pressure as soon as possible. Other risk factors include family history, obesity, smoking, lack of exercise and nutrition, and diabetes. Hypertension can also be caused by stress, anxiety, depression and even hormonal imbalances.

The symptoms of high blood pressure vary but most often have no visible signs or symptoms, making it a ‘silent killer’. That’s why it’s important to get regular blood pressure checks, as that’s the only surefire way of knowing.

In some cases, high blood pressure can cause symptoms such as headaches, shortness of breath, chest pain or nosebleeds. It’s easy to take your blood pressure at home, too (or visit your doctor), so be sure to get it checked if you experience any of these signs.

Key Takeaways
  • Australian sailor Jessica Watson shares an emotional message on Instagram after the shock death of her partner, Cameron Dale, due to a catastrophic stroke caused by undiagnosed hypertension.
  • Watson encourages everyone to check their blood pressure regularly and raise awareness about hypertension, regardless of their age and health.
  • Watson credits sailing as an extraordinary lifeline during the incredibly tough times she's faced since her partner's passing.
  • Jessica's message about checking blood pressure has resonated with many, including The Morning Show host Kylie Gillies, who was prompted to check her own blood pressure after reading Watson's story.
Heartfelt and thought-provoking, Jessica Watson's emotional Instagram post serves as a timely reminder for all our Senior Discount Club members to make sure they put their health first and have their blood pressure checked regularly. Members, what advice would you give to fellow seniors who may struggle with prioritising their health and well-being?

Sponsored
I’m appalled by the number of doctors who don’t check blood pressure as a basic part of every consultation, no matter the reason for the visit. My previous doctor always did, even if I went in for a sore finger! When he retired it took me about two years to find a doctor who checked my blood pressure without me having to ask.

Just buy your own Blood Pressure Machine from a Chemist, it is not perfect BUT it gives you a good idea about what is going on, I'm sure I suffer from White coat High Blood Pressure, so before I go to the Doctors or to give blood I check myself and compare. Private Health Insurance pays for these things, so no cost to you.

I do have a blood pressure machine, but the results are all over the place. Totally inaccurate. I’ve even taken it to a doctor friend and we’ve compared it to his blood pressure cuff and his machine, and it’s so far out it’s useless. Perhaps I should try a different machine. 🤣

I have never had problems with different BP machines. I have 2 omron and a smaller one from china. all work successfully. omron are the well known ones, purchase from a chemist. these are scattered about the home.
I am not over the top about using them. just a safety measure.
it is best not to blame the machine, if so take it with you on your next GP visit.

Just buy your own Blood Pressure Machine from a Chemist, it is not perfect BUT it gives you a good idea about what is going on, I'm sure I suffer from White coat High Blood Pressure, so before I go to the Doctors or to give blood I check myself and compare. Private Health Insurance pays for these things, so no cost to you.
most gps have omron machines

Reactions: Ricci
Spouse and I have dueling wrist BP bands. They were cheap but are accurate. Can't just rely on drugs tho...moving off the sofa and avoiding day long grazing is the key. Covid lockdowns and semi retirement was our downfall but a couple of serious health scares got us back on the right track 😊

I have never had problems with different BP machines. I have 2 omron and a smaller one from china. all work successfully. omron are the well known ones, purchase from a chemist. these are scattered about the home.
it is best not to blame the machine, if so take it with you on your next GP visit.
I‘m happy to just get my blood pressure taken by the doctor. It’s well-controlled, and I haven’t used my own for yonks.

I have the omron and my doc now uses it as well.

Reactions: terri and Ricci
results can very just by thoughts or if you are even talking. My doc always tells me not to talk! HE can get one reading whilst I'm sitting down, and then if he's not happy has me stand, waits 1 minute , takes it again, and it has usually dropped significantly. Same in hospitals. Your state of mind/anxiety is enough to shift it in moments.

I do have a blood pressure machine, but the results are all over the place. Totally inaccurate. I’ve even taken it to a doctor friend and we’ve compared it to his blood pressure cuff and his machine, and it’s so far out it’s useless. Perhaps I should try a different machine. 🤣
Omron machines I think are the better ones, that is what I have and it is about 20 years old, just replace batteries even now and then, they should go and get calibrated every year BUT it gives you a good idea of whats going on.

results can very just by thoughts or if you are even talking. My doc always tells me not to talk! HE can get one reading whilst I'm sitting down, and then if he's not happy has me stand, waits 1 minute , takes it again, and it has usually dropped significantly. Same in hospitals. Your state of mind/anxiety is enough to shift it in moments.
Yes, not talking is important when doing this.

It's fascinating how simply changing your posture or state of mind can affect your blood pressure readings. My doctor always advises me to remain calm and not talk during measurements. He often takes multiple readings, first while I'm seated, and then again after having me stand for a minute. It's amazing how the readings can vary significantly based on something as simple as my posture or anxiety level. The same holds true in hospital settings as well.

Reactions: Ezzy