Rolf Harris passes away at 93 following health struggle

Rolf Harris, the Australian entertainer and convicted sex offender who spent decades in the spotlight, has passed away.

Harris, 93, has reportedly died after a lengthy struggle with neck cancer, and his passing was further complicated by the 'fragility of old age'.

Harris had an illustrious career in show business, but his legacy was marred by his arrest on indecent assault charges in 2013. Though his death was first publicly announced on Tuesday, his death certificate reveals that he had passed away several weeks earlier, on May 10—the day before an ambulance was spotted outside his UK residence.

1684889747659.png
Renowned Australian figure, Rolf Harris, peacefully departs at the age of 93 after enduring a prolonged battle with his health. Source: Simon Alekna of the Sydney Morning Herald

There had been widespread speculation about Harris's declining health since late 2022 when it was revealed that he had become severely unwell. The gap between his passing and its official documentation allowed his family to hold a funeral and cremate him privately, away from the public eye.

In a brief statement, the family shared that Harris 'died peacefully surrounded by family and friends and has now been laid to rest'.

Harris is survived by his wife of 65 years, Alwen Hughes, 91, who is battling Alzheimer's disease. The couple required around-the-clock care, with friends and neighbours expressing concern for their well-being.

Rolf Harris was born in 1930 in Bassendean, Perth's northeast, and went on to make a name for himself in both sports and entertainment. Originally gaining recognition as a champion swimmer, he moved to London in the early '50s to study art.

Following early gigs with the BBC and ITV as a performer and illustrator, Harris achieved international fame for his art and music. His most notable hit, the Australian-inspired song 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport', was released in 1957, and he even painted a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in 2005.

Harris's career saw him receive numerous awards and honours. He was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire in 1968 and a Member of the Order of Australia (AM), advancing to Officer (AO) in 2012.

Rolf Harris: From Entertainment to Trial and Conviction​

Rolf Harris saw his career take a sharp downturn when he was arrested in 2013 as part of a UK police investigation into sexual offences. The charges against him included the production of indecent images of children. In 2014, Harris was convicted of 12 counts of indecent assault against four teenage girls spanning from 1968 to 1986. This led to his sentencing to a jail term of five years and nine months, during which he served three years at Stafford Prison in England's Midlands.

Following his release in mid-2017, Harris faced further legal battles. He was cleared of additional sexual assault charges but continued to be largely absent from the public eye. Despite maintaining his innocence throughout the legal proceedings and criticising the charges against him as ‘ludicrous’, the scandal surrounding his convictions resulted in the termination of his career.

As a coping mechanism during his time in prison, Harris turned to art, using it as a form of therapy. Notably, he created several pieces, including Rock Drill, which were displayed in an Edinburgh gallery in the same year. However, his artistic endeavours did not restore his reputation or former standing in the entertainment industry.

The consequences of the scandal extended beyond Harris's professional life. His numerous accolades and honours were revoked. Furthermore, he struggled to re-enter society after his release, leading a reclusive life with limited public appearances and difficulties in social interactions.

Key Takeaways
  • Australian sex offender Rolf Harris has died aged 93 after a battle with neck cancer.
  • Harris was a well-known entertainer for decades until his arrest on indecent assault charges in 2013.
  • The family held a private funeral for Harris and cremated him away from the public eye.
  • In 2014, Harris was convicted of 12 counts of indecent assault and sentenced to a jail term of five years and nine months, of which he served three years.

In summary, Rolf Harris's later years were defined by deteriorating health and the repercussions of his conviction for indecent assault charges. Despite his notable achievements and international acclaim, his legacy remains tarnished by the scandal and legal battles that ensued.

Harris lived a secluded existence, facing the challenges of reintegrating into society and having his honours revoked. His life stands as a cautionary tale, where controversy and the consequences of his actions overshadow his accomplishments.

Sponsored
I am aware Rolf Harris has been charged etc with child abuse. Unfortunately & unknown to my family

Rolf Harris, the Australian entertainer and convicted sex offender who spent decades in the spotlight, has passed away.

Harris, 93, has reportedly died after a lengthy struggle with neck cancer, and his passing was further complicated by the 'fragility of old age'.

Harris had an illustrious career in show business, but his legacy was marred by his arrest on indecent assault charges in 2013. Though his death was first publicly announced on Tuesday, his death certificate reveals that he had passed away several weeks earlier, on May 10—the day before an ambulance was spotted outside his UK residence.

View attachment 20518
Renowned Australian figure, Rolf Harris, peacefully departs at the age of 93 after enduring a prolonged battle with his health. Source: Simon Alekna of the Sydney Morning Herald

There had been widespread speculation about Harris's declining health since late 2022 when it was revealed that he had become severely unwell. The gap between his passing and its official documentation allowed his family to hold a funeral and cremate him privately, away from the public eye.

In a brief statement, the family shared that Harris 'died peacefully surrounded by family and friends and has now been laid to rest'.

Harris is survived by his wife of 65 years, Alwen Hughes, 91, who is battling Alzheimer's disease. The couple required around-the-clock care, with friends and neighbours expressing concern for their well-being.

Rolf Harris was born in 1930 in Bassendean, Perth's northeast, and went on to make a name for himself in both sports and entertainment. Originally gaining recognition as a champion swimmer, he moved to London in the early '50s to study art.

Following early gigs with the BBC and ITV as a performer and illustrator, Harris achieved international fame for his art and music. His most notable hit, the Australian-inspired song 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport', was released in 1957, and he even painted a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in 2005.

Harris's career saw him receive numerous awards and honours. He was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire in 1968 and a Member of the Order of Australia (AM), advancing to Officer (AO) in 2012.

Rolf Harris saw his career take a sharp downturn when he was arrested in 2013 as part of a UK police investigation into sexual offences. The charges against him included the production of indecent images of children. In 2014, Harris was convicted of 12 counts of indecent assault against four teenage girls spanning from 1968 to 1986. This led to his sentencing to a jail term of five years and nine months, during which he served three years at Stafford Prison in England's Midlands.

Following his release in mid-2017, Harris faced further legal battles. He was cleared of additional sexual assault charges but continued to be largely absent from the public eye. Despite maintaining his innocence throughout the legal proceedings and criticising the charges against him as ‘ludicrous’, the scandal surrounding his convictions resulted in the termination of his career.

As a coping mechanism during his time in prison, Harris turned to art, using it as a form of therapy. Notably, he created several pieces, including Rock Drill, which were displayed in an Edinburgh gallery in the same year. However, his artistic endeavours did not restore his reputation or former standing in the entertainment industry.

The consequences of the scandal extended beyond Harris's professional life. His numerous accolades and honours were revoked. Furthermore, he struggled to re-enter society after his release, leading a reclusive life with limited public appearances and difficulties in social interactions.

Key Takeaways

• Australian sex offender Rolf Harris has died aged 93 after a battle with neck cancer.
  • Harris was a well-known entertainer for decades until his arrest on indecent assault charges in 2013.
  • The family held a private funeral for Harris and cremated him away from the public eye.
  • In 2014, Harris was convicted of 12 counts of indecent assault and sentenced to a jail term of five years and nine months, of which he served three years.

In summary, Rolf Harris's later years were defined by deteriorating health and the repercussions of his conviction for indecent assault charges. Despite his notable achievements and international acclaim, his legacy remains tarnished by the scandal and legal battles that ensued.

Harris lived a secluded existence, facing the challenges of reintegrating into society and having his honours revoked. His life stands as a cautionary tale, where controversy and the consequences of his actions overshadow his accomplishments.
Not commenting on the last few years, I think it was a money thing. I know Rolf Harris as far as I am concerned did more good than bad, I remember him from my childhood as funny entertaining and had some sensational songs. I think it is wrong to remember him for the alleged last few years of his life which was a witch hunt I think when he brought so much happiness to so many lives during a lot of childhoods. RIP Rold Harris, fond memories from a childhood long gone!

Growing up in Ashfield, which is a small suburb next to Bassendean, I had great pride in knowing that he put our little spot on the world map. When I lived in the UK for a period of time, I would often mention how he was from the next suburb from me. As a child, I loved watching his weekly show where he would do a painting using a large house painting brush. He was so talented. And I loved watching it for Coogee Bear. My doctor's surgery even had a small signed painting which hung on the wall in his office with pride. I must admit I don't recall seeing it there for quite some time now. It's such a shame how someone with so much talent can go down the wrong path and basically lose everything that mattered to them. I'm a big believer that if something like this happened, then it should be reported at the time and not 20+ years after the fact. I am not condoning him for what he has done but the crime should be reported at the time and not when evidence is hard to produce. Child predators belong in jail away from harms way and the quicker they get there, the less harm they can do to other children.

Growing up in Ashfield, which is a small suburb next to Bassendean, I had great pride in knowing that he put our little spot on the world map. When I lived in the UK for a period of time, I would often mention how he was from the next suburb from me. As a child, I loved watching his weekly show where he would do a painting using a large house painting brush. He was so talented. And I loved watching it for Coogee Bear. My doctor's surgery even had a small signed painting which hung on the wall in his office with pride. I must admit I don't recall seeing it there for quite some time now. It's such a shame how someone with so much talent can go down the wrong path and basically lose everything that mattered to them. I'm a big believer that if something like this happened, then it should be reported at the time and not 20+ years after the fact. I am not condoning him for what he has done but the crime should be reported at the time and not when evidence is hard to produce. Child predators belong in jail away from harms way and the quicker they get there, the less harm they can do to other children.
Your right, anything should be brought up at the time, people get away with too much because there is no evidence and a whole case can be built on he said she said and hear say. i lived in Darwin s a child and saw Rolf Harris fall off the stage just near where were sitting during his show, I could have said he fondled me, and that's all it takes now days to ruin someone. He did not even come near me but no-one else knows that and that is why I think this was a money thing, someone worked out they could get a bunch of money, I just don't think they thought it would ruin him and destroy the memories of so many others. RIP Rolf Harris!. Other people can think what they want but Rolf Harris was part of my happy child hood and growing up, he did not deserve the publicity he got on the news degrading him after his death!

W
Well said Snoopy

Reactions: SeniorSnoopy

View attachment 20518

Key Takeaways

I grew up loving Rolf Harris and his 3 legs and wobbly board and we can't forget his paint commercial, " trust British paints , sure can ,"

It's sad to think he had everyone fooled , while everyone loved him he was molesting young children.

To those that say let it lay DONT BRING IT UP AFTER 20 YEARS . SERIOUSLY !!

Did you know back then when a child tried to say something it was swept under the carpet.

Did you know molesters know how to scare their victims .

My sister was molested by my father and when she was 12 she told me and I got the police involved. They went to question her and in front of my so called father. Nothing was done . Her mother never believed her said she was making it up

Well 25 years later he was arrested and is now in jail , he is 81 and been in there for 4 years and has another 3 years to go.

He had gone on to molest 2 of his granddaughter's plus another daughter .
This could have been prevented if the authorities listened.

I was blessed that I was raised my entire childhood by my grandparents.

Even though it was years later at least he is being punished and to me it isn't long enough .

So to all of you that idolise this man think again.

Paedophile are the lowest of low

Not commenting on the last few years, I think it was a money thing. I know Rolf Harris as far as I am concerned did more good than bad, I remember him from my childhood as funny entertaining and had some sensational songs. I think it is wrong to remember him for the alleged last few years of his life which was a witch hunt I think when he brought so much happiness to so many lives during a lot of childhoods. RIP Rold Harris, fond memories from a childhood long gone!
Alleged last few years are you kidding me, he was a paedophile and was doing it right under everyone's noses from the start of his so called career which gave him access to children until he was caught.

I agree 💯👍. I always had my doubts about the allegations and agree that he was probably the victim of a media witch hunt. Tragic that his final years were spent shunned by his fans.

View attachment 20518

Key Takeaways

Bloody should have die in prison scumbag

View attachment 20518

Key Takeaways

I do not condone anything of what he did, but also believe firmly that no star, hero, or celebrity is without his weaknesses and failures. In Rolf's case, they should have been disclosed and reported AT THE TIME. It seems very unjust to me that all the accolades and honours for what he did do well were snatched away to punish him for something else entirely. Why are we not able to give a balanced account of someone's life without screaming imprecations and insults? But we are not.

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540 and Gsr