Rising threat: Australia intensifies surveillance amid growing concerns over H5N1 bird flu strain

As the world grapples with various health challenges, a new concern is on the horizon for Australians, particularly those who have seen many health scares in their lifetimes.

Australia's disease authorities are ramping up surveillance in response to a new strain of bird flu that has raised concerns among health officials.

This proactive approach aims to monitor potential risks to both wildlife and human health, highlighting the ongoing vigilance needed in managing infectious diseases.

The Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness (ACDP) has issued a warning about the potential arrival of the H5N1 bird flu strain, a virus that has already wreaked havoc in regions to Australia's north and south.

The H5N1 strain is not new to the global stage; it has been detected in farm workers in the United States and has crossed into a range of animal species, including dairy herds.

The Colorado Public Health Department has confirmed human cases of the strain in poultry workers, raising the alarm about the virus's ability to jump from animals to humans.

compressed-shutterstock_2153619815.jpeg
The ACPD has warned of the potential arrival of H5N1 bird flu in Australia. Credit: Shutterstock

The ACDP is closely monitoring the situation, as the risk of the H5N1 bird flu appearing in Australia is increasing, particularly with the approach of spring.

Senior research scientist at the ACDP, Dr Frank Wong, highlighted the remoteness of Northern Australia as a potential hurdle for effective surveillance.

Australia was not along the migration routes of large water birds like ducks and geese that travel long distances and have contributed to the global spread of H5N1 bird flu.

However, authorities noted that birds from Asia that interact with infected migratory birds could potentially introduce the virus to Australia.

Moreover, they indicated there was also a risk from the south after an elephant seal was discovered dead in Antarctica with the H5N1 virus.

‘Where it has touched base in Antarctica is basically south of Chile and Argentina,’ Dr Wong said.

‘That part of the Antarctic continent is pretty much the opposite side of Antarctica closest to Australia.’

He stated that more information about the risk from Antarctica would be available after winter.

‘The impact to bird and animal species in Antarctica is still relatively unknown because the detection is quite recent, and it's now the Antarctic winter,’ Dr Wong continued.

‘As spring comes, we will know a little bit better how the virus may either have any continuing impact to birds in the Antarctic continent or whether we're no longer detecting the virus.’

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the leading health authority in the United States, reported that the risk to humans remains low, even as more farm workers test positive for H5 bird flu.

The virus has been detected in over 100 dairy herds across at least 12 states. Farm workers involved in culling infected chickens and dairy workers milking affected herds have contracted the virus.

The centre described these cases as ‘concerning’ due to the potential for severe illness and broader outbreaks.

‘If these viruses were to change to spread easily from person-to-person, it could trigger a pandemic, though, to date, we have not seen genetic changes in the virus that would make it more likely to transmit between humans,’ the CDC explained in a statement.

Back home, Australia is not immune to avian influenza threats. Outbreaks of H7 strains of avian influenza at poultry farms have been reported in three states and territories.

According to ACDP Director Debbie Eagles, the extent to which these outbreaks will last is still uncertain.

‘It is the most number of highly pathogenic avian influenza strains that have been detected at the same time in Australia,’ Dr Eagles stated.

‘It's difficult to say how long they will take to control.’

While the H5 and H7 strains have been known to infect humans, health authorities maintain that the risk from H7 remains low.

They assure the public that eggs and poultry meat are safe to consume when handled and cooked according to standard food handling practices.

As Australia intensifies its surveillance efforts in response to the rising concerns surrounding bird flu, the situation has taken a more serious turn with the recent declaration of the country's first human case.

This development underscores the importance of remaining vigilant and informed about the ongoing risks associated with avian influenza, highlighting the need for continued awareness and precautionary measures among the community.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness has warned of the potential arrival of the H5N1 bird flu in Australia.
  • H5N1 has caused a global animal pandemic and has been detected in a range of animal species, including infected poultry workers in the United States.
  • Surveillance for the disease in Australia is ongoing, particularly as spring approaches, which is when the risk is expected to increase.
  • Australian health authorities maintained that the risk to humans remains low, but there is still concern over the possibility of the virus changing to spread easily between people.
  • Eggs and poultry meat are considered safe to eat when handled and cooked properly despite ongoing outbreaks of H7 strains of avian influenza in Australia.
What are your thoughts on this developing situation? How do you protect yourself from potential health risks? Share your opinions and suggestions in the comments below.

Sponsored
You echo my sentiments exactly! 👏
Yeah, that's right. I ended up coughing up fake blood, probably tomato sauce, when I had caught Covid thanks to some F***wit braindead idiot wandering around the local shopping centre and carrying the disease without even considering that (1) it was the wrong thing to do and (2) he or she should have been wearing an N95 mask anyway as a matter of simple respect to others.

Anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers have, I hope, a special place awaiting them in Hell where the needle jabs them continuously and they are allowed no mask against the sulphurous fumes of hellfire

Last edited:
This one is pretty scary considering it can be transmitted from animal to human.

My sons are in Greece and one of them had what they thought was food poisoning but looks like it was a virus due to the amount of people with same symptoms.

He said it was the worst gastro bug he has ever had and kept him in bed for 3 days.

We just need to keep practising good hygiene. Normal things like washing hands with soap after bathroom visits, before handling or eating food.

Also if sick try to stay in and keep away from others until it's passed and if you need to go out wear a mask and cough into your elbow.

Yeah, that's right. I ended up coughing up fake blood, probably tomato sauce, when I had caught Covid thanks to some F***wit braindead idiot wandering around the local shopping centre and carrying the disease without even considering that (1) it was the wrong thing to do and (2) he or she should have been wearing an N95 mask anyway as a matter of simple respect to others.

Anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers have, I hope, a special place awaiting them in Hell where the needle jabs them continuously and they are allowed no mask against the sulphurous fumes of hellfire
He or she should not have been out amongst other people to start with. They were totally careless and probably didn't care at all about other people. Very selfish 🤐

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob44
I don’t buy into the hype and just live my life the way I always have. The World Health Organisation has lost credibility, if it was ever there.

Scare tactics, putting the fear into people is quite different to informing people of potential diseases so we can make up our own minds. Some people may need guidelines but common sense prevails.
Glad you understood what they were saying🤔

More bullshit! more propaganda being spread around...just turn off your tv and stop watching MSM...now, THINK about it, we are living in 2024 right and with ALL the technology etc, is so advanced, you have to ask yourselves, Why are there soooooooooooooooooooooo many MORE diseases that could KILL you, happening now? mmmm.....just say NO to anything that is involved with the Govt etc....WAKE UP PEOPLE!!
WTF !!!! Really Maybe people with your mindframe is the reason viruses are spreading

More bullshit! more propaganda being spread around...just turn off your tv and stop watching MSM...now, THINK about it, we are living in 2024 right and with ALL the technology etc, is so advanced, you have to ask yourselves, Why are there soooooooooooooooooooooo many MORE diseases that could KILL you, happening now? mmmm.....just say NO to anything that is involved with the Govt etc....WAKE UP PEOPLE!!
Did you get your flu shot ???

Can't catch a virus ..... only by injection !!! YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED BY THE COVID HOAX !!
Ha ha, you @jr59, are the one who’s been conned. Or perhaps it’s your paranoia.

Obviously you have nothing better to do than to join SDC for the purpose of sh*t stirring.

I, for one see how ignorant you are. You should quit before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Last edited:
Can't catch a virus ..... only by injection !!! YOU HAVE BEEN CONNED BY THE COVID HOAX !!
Another fan of Andrew Wakefield I see. I bet you have autographed photos of him all over your bedroom walls, along with Barbie and Spiderman.

Wakefield was the disgraced and deregistered British doctor who made fraudulent claims that the MMR vaccine caused autism via the preservative thiomersal. Care to argue against this fact?

Or will you be trying to extract the imaginary "spychip" from your arm, secretly inserted by the government while you slept from a drug induced stupor.

You're fun!!

I think many of us signed up to tell 'the other side' of the story. Two sides to EVERY story, right? I would urge you and many of your like-minded fellows to watch the movie, "Don't Look Up". That's an example of the 'other' side of the story.
And those conspiracy theories you refer to have now turned to conspiracy fact!
You can ignore the facts, but it doesn't change the facts.

I recall history indicating assorted plagues of smallpox in Europe ( William of Orange's wife Mary died of it, amongst many others) and none had been vaccinated, as there were no vaccines at the time. Smallpox is a viral infection caused by the smallpox virus. Likewise poliomyelitis, and likewise the Kansas pig flu also known as Spanish flu that killed at least 20 million people in 5 years. That was in 1917-1922, before viruses had been seen or were understood. So someone went around injecting Kansas pig flu vaccine into more than 20 million people worldwide, and was aboard the troop-ship where my grandfather was burying at sea those who had died of Kansas pig flu?

You must live in Trumpistan, land of congenital fools.