The bill is $50, which is $16 and two thirds each. By paying $20 each they pay an extra $3 and one third. After taking back $2 each thay have paid an extra $1 and one third, which, multiplied by 3, makes the $4 tip.

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
Why hello there, Riddle Masters! Welcome, to yet another riddle forum. We are so happy to have you here!

Today's riddle is a tough one, there's no question about that! Enter your answer below to see how you go. Please note, all answers will be automatically hidden. You can check your answer or someone else's answer simply by clicking the 'spoiler' button, but no cheating!

Here's the riddle:

The Riddle: Three people go into the pub and each order a meal. The total bill comes to $50.00. They each give $20.00. The waiter brings back $10.00 change. They each take back $2.00 and leave the remaining $4.00 as a tip for the waiter.

The Problem: They each gave $20.00 and got $2.00 back. That means they each spent $18.00 on their meal. 3 x $18.00 = $54.00 + $4.00 tip = $58.00. What happened to the missing $2.00?

Good luck and Happy Friday!

Thanks for getting involved,
Maddie :)
The $4.00 tip is part of the $18.00 they each spent. You have to add the $6 change to the $54 spent.

Why hello there, Riddle Masters! Welcome, to yet another riddle forum. We are so happy to have you here!

Today's riddle is a tough one, there's no question about that! Enter your answer below to see how you go. Please note, all answers will be automatically hidden. You can check your answer or someone else's answer simply by clicking the 'spoiler' button, but no cheating!

Here's the riddle:

The Riddle: Three people go into the pub and each order a meal. The total bill comes to $50.00. They each give $20.00. The waiter brings back $10.00 change. They each take back $2.00 and leave the remaining $4.00 as a tip for the waiter.

The Problem: They each gave $20.00 and got $2.00 back. That means they each spent $18.00 on their meal. 3 x $18.00 = $54.00 + $4.00 tip = $58.00. What happened to the missing $2.00?

It is true that the three diners spent $54 on their meal which is the $50 cost of the food plus the $4 tip.

So the question makes no sense in adding the $4 tip on again.

What it should have stated is meal cost $50 + $4 tip = $54, so $18 per diner; which is correct since $20
was tendered per diner minus $2 change

The meals actually cost $50 / 3 = $16.66 or rounded up 2 @ $16.67.
=$33.34 + 1@ $16.66 =$50
3 change $2 = $6 total $56
Tip $4. = total $60

Shaun Nicholl

Here's the riddle:

This one has got the better of me no matter how I try to work it.

This one has got the better of me no matter how I try to work it.
Same here, @daina I wasn't able to crack it myself either! But I've had a look at a few of the other answers (If you click the spoiler buttons, you can see the other answers too) and a fair few people have gotten it correct! I think the wording of the question just throws us off too much and makes us over think it!

their meal only cost each one $16.67,so the waiter actually got that extra $2.00 as well as the $4 tip.

All the dollars add up ..3 people put in $20 each = $60. Bill is $54 +$4 tip = $58 so the 3 people split up the $2 remaining...which is .6666666667cents.

Yes I agree. They paid $18 each in total. Their meal plus a tip for the waiter which equals $54 plus the 3 lots of $2 which were returned to them. So therefore $54 plus $6 equals $60 the original amount.