Rice cooker for home

Hi there!
I’ll start with the complaint because I sick of cooking rice in a pot. I really hate this… Rice always clumps together, or vice-versa, it’s not soft enough and dry. Ok, to the point. I decided to buy a rice cooker and I’ll be glad to hear some recommendations from you before I buy it. What should I put my attention on? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored
I think most rice cookers are basically the same so I don't waste money on expensive models, the last one I bought I picked up with my weekly shop at Woolies. Coles do a similar one too, cheap as chips. Happy Rice Cooking!!!:)

Reactions: RTS and Ezzy
I purchased a Tupperware rice cooker about 10 years ago. Still going strong. I use one cup of rice and 3 cups of water. Depending on the microwave, usually 15 minutes. Comes out perfect and fluffy. I would imagine any microwave rice cooker would do the same. The secret is the two lids. The inner one has holes that allows the water to drain back in to the cooker. Good luck Goldbill. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: RTS, Ezzy and Ricci
Hi there!
I’ll start with the complaint because I sick of cooking rice in a pot. I really hate this… Rice always clumps together, or vice-versa, it’s not soft enough and dry. Ok, to the point. I decided to buy a rice cooker and I’ll be glad to hear some recommendations from you before I buy it. What should I put my attention on? Thanks in advance!
We use a rice cooker at home but at times, I cook small portions using a small pot. Using the correct level of water for cooking rice is important, and after the water boils (with the rice) for about 3mins, I would put the pot to low heat to simmer for another 2mins and then turn off the heat to let the rice finish cooking in its contained heat.

But if that's too much of a trial, a rice cooker is handy. There are many brands of rice cookers in the market.
Your choice would depend on:
1. capacity - how large (or portions of cooked rice) do you need the cooker to be? size equates to price.
2. features - some rice cookers have settings for porridge or have an added steamer. If you don't need these, the simple rice cooker will be lower in price.
3. non-stick quality of pot - some brands have better non-stick quality than others. However, you should never use a metal spoon or scoop on non-stick pots - you need plastic or wood. The scoop usually comes with the rice cooker.
4. if you like to have lower-carb cooked rice, you might find the new cookers with an inbuilt water 'drainer'. After the rice is cooked, most pots 'retain' some water to let the rice absorb and be fluffy (or sticky). These new cookers separate the cooked rice with the balance of water so that the rice will not be fluffy (or overcooked) - this reduces carbs in the cooked rice.
5. Japanese rice cookers are renowned for better quality

I hope you can find the rice cooker within your budget, and capacity, and with the features you need.

Reactions: Ricci
You cant go wrong with whatever rice cooker you buy

Mine is a breville.

Cooking Ruce on the stove.

Put rice in saucepan add water cover the rice 2 inches above rice

Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and cover and cook for 20 minutes

Hi there!
Dont use my rice cooker now ,cook my rice in the microwave ,I do use a lot of rice ,this is definitely the easiest,..my method. 2 cups rice ..rinsed.. 5cups of water ,microwave 16 mins , in a suitable bowl ,lid off ,lid on when done. Easy..

Hi there!
Dont bother one more appliance cluttering up the kitchen. I also had trouble with rice until my friend told me this method. tablespoon of olive oil into pot. High heat , cup of rice, stir until completely coated and until changes colour slightly then add teaspoon salt or less and two cups hot water. Reduce heat to low and cook for 14 mins or until all the water absorbed Stir with a fork to fluff up and serve.
Cup of rice into

oops tried to edit but stupid ad pops up.
After adding water cover with well fitting lid and reduce heat.

Hi there!
Breville from Good Guys or Harvey Normans all good if want a cheap one from Kmart

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-28 101445.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-28 101445.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
The first thing I'd look at is how you intend to use the rice cooker, since most rice cookers these days will make good rice pretty consistently. If you have a big family and need a lot of rice most of the time then make sure you get a cooker that cooks a large enough amount. The best feature here of an automatic rice cooker over simply cooking it on the stovetop is that once it has finished cooking, it stays hot and moist for a long time afterwards, so I wouldn't buy a cooker without it.

Last edited: