Revealed: The radical changes Woolworths has made that are transforming the way you shop!

As we all know, shopping isn't just about what you buy, but how you buy it. And for our members who frequent Woolworths, you've likely noticed some significant changes in your shopping experience over the past few years. The supermarket giant has been busy at work, implementing a series of innovations that are reshaping the way we interact with our groceries and the store itself.

The catalyst for many of these changes was the COVID-19 pandemic, which forced businesses across the globe to rethink their operations. Woolworths was no exception, and they quickly adapted to the new normal with strategies aimed at keeping customers and staff safe. This included installing safety screens at self-checkout stations, introducing Direct to Boot shopping, and implementing cash recycling machines at manned checkouts in Metro stores to minimize cash handling.

While the pandemic has since subsided, and some measures have been rolled back, Woolworths has continued to evolve, keeping some of these changes as part of their vision for the future of grocery shopping.

compressed-shutterstock_1497456389.jpeg
Woolworths has introduced safety screens and Direct to Boot shopping in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Credit: Shutterstock

One of the most significant introductions has been the cash recycling machines. These machines, which have been a staple in Metro stores since 2020, streamline the checkout process by automating cash handling, thus reducing the risk of theft and the time spent by staff on cash management. Customers have found these machines to be efficient and similar to the self-service checkout process. Although currently limited to a few locations, these machines represent a leap towards a more automated shopping experience.

But perhaps the most popular post-pandemic service has been Direct to Boot. Launched in 2021, this service allows customers to place their orders online and have them delivered directly to their car boot at a designated pickup area. With over 250,000 orders placed weekly, it's clear that shoppers appreciate the convenience and time-saving aspect of this service. And Woolworths isn't stopping there; they've introduced Direct to Boot Now, which promises an even faster turnaround, with orders ready for pickup within 60 minutes at select stores.

Another innovation is the introduction of hybrid stores. These stores are designed to cater to changing customer habits, offering a mix of self-serve and manned registers. With data showing a preference for quicker and easier self-serve checkouts, especially for smaller basket sizes, Woolworths is ensuring that they meet customer needs while still providing the option of traditional staffed checkouts for those with larger shopping lists.

It's clear that Woolworths is committed to providing a tailored shopping experience, with about 83 percent of customers with 20 items or fewer opting for self-service checkouts. For those with more items, staffed checkouts remain the preferred option. The company has also introduced express lanes in about 800 stores, ensuring that customers can enjoy a seamless and efficient checkout process, regardless of their shopping size.

These changes are more than just a response to a global crisis; they're a reflection of Woolworths' dedication to innovation and customer service. As we look to the future, it's exciting to think about what other transformations we might see in our local Woolworths stores.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has implemented several changes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, including safety screens and Direct to Boot shopping.
  • The introduction of cash recycling machines at manned checkouts in Metro stores aims to reduce cash handling and theft risk.
  • Woolworths launched Direct to Boot Now, allowing customers to place an order online and pick it up within 60 minutes at selected stores.
  • The retailer is rolling out hybrid stores to offer a mix of self-service and manned registers, responding to customer buying habit shifts towards more frequent, smaller purchases.
So, dear members, how have these changes affected your shopping routine? Do you enjoy the convenience of Direct to Boot, or perhaps you're a fan of the new hybrid checkout system? Share your experiences with us in the comments below, and let's discuss the future of grocery shopping together!

Sponsored
Doesn’t seem to worry Woolworths in Roma in Qld. The store although it opens its doors for business at 8am would be barely ready for business by 10am if one is lucky, unstocked deli, unstocked bread, empty shelves. It is certainly not the fault of employees but fault of management. Too bad they have no competition.

While I appreciate the changes implemented, whether at my store(s) I don't know, I don't have a car. I don't use the self-service cashiers much, but they have their use. The streamlined service counters would be useful.
I'm probably more interested in the range of products and of course the price ... Cheese prices in particular. Since the cheese effectively doubled in price in the last few years ... (Receipt: WW 04/10/2019 Bega Cheese Block Tasty 1kg @ $9.00 [Sale price, normally $10]. Current price 500g @ $10.50! - I scan my receipts on my computer, back to 2017!) ... I've stopped cooking.
I love cheese dishes, macaroni cheese, mornays, toasted cheese sandwiches, cheese on toast ... but cheese is just too expensive now. I've also stopped buying the other ingredients too, flour, butter, pasta ... so my food costs have actually decreased. I've also lost quite a bit of weight & I haven't used my oven for two years.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the changes implemented, whether at my store(s) I don't know, I don't have a car. I don't use the self-service cashiers much, but they have their use. The streamlined service counters would be useful.
I'm probably more interested in the range of products and of course the price ... Cheese prices in particular. Since the cheese effectively doubled in price in the last few years ... (Receipt: WW 04/10/2019 Bega Cheese Block Tasty 1kg @ $9.00 [Sale price, normally $10]. Current price 500g @ $10.50! - I scan my receipts on my computer, back to 2017!) ... I've stopped cooking.
I love cheese dishes, macaroni cheese, mornays, toasted cheese sandwiches, cheese on toast ... but cheese is just too expensive now. I've also stopped buying the other ingredients too, flour, butter, pasta ... so my food costs have actually decreased. I've also lost quite a bit of weight & I haven't used my oven for two years.
So as a matter of interest, what do you eat for each meal?

Reactions: PattiB
"Mary_Again,
Were U grossly over weight by any chance ? Sounds very much that yr on a starvation diet. For what ? Maybe to lose a few kilo's. Who knows, "?"

So as a matter of interest, what do you eat for each meal?
In answer to all of you. ... I eat a lot less, hence the loss of weight! AND no I wasn't grossly overweight. (My BMI in 2022 was 24.1, it is now about 22.7 - I keep records of that too!) I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger and never put on weight. That too has ended, but that is due to the loss of bus services, unfortunately.

I used to eat cheese every day, cheese sandwiches, cheese omelette, cheese on toast, cheese in my mashed potato. I've pretty much stopped buying cheese. So I rarely eat lunch. Sometimes, I don't eat until 15:00. I eat grapefruit for breakfast and I've been lucky to find a lot of them for free. Porridge (microwave), potato crisps, toast and marmalade. For evening meals, I live on cans of soup largely. Canned braised steak, packets of sweet & sour chicken and rice. Occasionally, I buy a cooked roast dinner from a local store to supplement my diet, but that recently went up to $14. Do you know 10 KFC nuggets can do two days evening meals - just add Deb and peas! Sometimes I'll "cook" some sausages (on hotplate), rarely bacon. Sometimes I just make up a packet of noodles. My neighbour gave me some Brussel sprouts recently. For snacks, fruit (mandarins/strawberries when cheap) or nuts. I do like chocolate though and can demolish a 180g block in a day and I probably put more sugar in my coffee now.

However, I've largely lost interest in eating and eat more for necessity than enjoyment (my shopping bill has halved). So basically I just heat things up. I miss cheese. (PS I found another receipt - Coles 22/2/2022 Bega 500g @ $9.50 so cheese prices effectively doubled in 2.5 years!) Today, it's now past 20:00 and all I've had is porridge and three cups of coffee! Not sure what's for tea. ... I finally decided on a can of Harvest Hearty Irish Stew

Last edited:
Reactions: MariaG
Blimey Charlie, "Mary_Again", well U certainly let us all know on how well U eat. Good luck with yr Special Diet. With all of the cheese U eat, one thing is 4 sure, U won't suffer from weak bone structure and fractures or broken bones if U ever have a fall.

We buy Woolies own brand sliced tasty cheese packaged, 500 gms for $7.

Bye the way, in a previous post a while back, I mentioned that my dear mum was "Great" chocky eater. Always had a stash on hand. When in an aged care facility at 95/96, she had a box full of 'em of many varieties incl., chocky., marshmellow bars. Ate them all the time & lived to 3 mths shy of 102 with all FACALTIES in running order.

Wife & self keep a variety as well.

Good on U & keep it up, ENJOY.

Reactions: MariaG
In answer to all of you. ... I eat a lot less, hence the loss of weight! AND no I wasn't grossly overweight. (My BMI in 2022 was 24.1, it is now about 22.7 - I keep records of that too!) I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger and never put on weight. That too has ended, but that is due to the loss of bus services, unfortunately.

I used to eat cheese every day, cheese sandwiches, cheese omelette, cheese on toast, cheese in my mashed potato. I've pretty much stopped buying cheese. So I rarely eat lunch. Sometimes, I don't eat until 15:00. I eat grapefruit for breakfast and I've been lucky to find a lot of them for free. Porridge (microwave), potato crisps, toast and marmalade. For evening meals, I live on cans of soup largely. Canned braised steak, packets of sweet & sour chicken and rice. Occasionally, I buy a cooked roast dinner from a local store to supplement my diet, but that recently went up to $14. Do you know 10 KFC nuggets can do two days evening meals - just add Deb and peas! Sometimes I'll "cook" some sausages (on hotplate), rarely bacon. Sometimes I just make up a packet of noodles. My neighbour gave me some Brussel sprouts recently. For snacks, fruit (mandarins/strawberries when cheap) or nuts. I do like chocolate though and can demolish a 180g block in a day and I probably put more sugar in my coffee now.

However, I've largely lost interest in eating and eat more for necessity than enjoyment (my shopping bill has halved). So basically I just heat things up. I miss cheese. (PS I found another receipt - Coles 22/2/2022 Bega 500g @ $9.50 so cheese prices effectively doubled in 2.5 years!) Today, it's now past 20:00 and all I've had is porridge and three cups of coffee! Not sure what's for tea. ... I finally decided on a can of Harvest Hearty Irish Stew
If I eat too much cheese, it binds me up. Good thing you didn't have that problem.

Der! .... I find some cheese has no flavour. I used to eat "Coon Extra Tasty" but they stopped making it, so I moved to Bega. I tried the "Cheer" (previously Coon) ordinary cheap cheese. ... It had no taste and became dry and cracked within a couple of weeks and I threw it out - it wasn't worth the money I spent on it. In comparison I've kept Bega cheese in the humid drawer for months and it's still good. However, when the price went up, it wasn't worth the cost either.
I don't think I'm on a "special" diet. I'm on a survival diet, until maybe. possibly, they reduce cheese prices.

Well at least the chocolate should keep me fit!

Last edited: