REVEALED: Most Bogan Names in Australia for 2022

Back then, parents used to want their kids to fit in. Now, they want them to stand out.

Looks like Aussie mums and dads are now much more “creative” when picking names than previous generations were, huh?

For many parents and parents-to-be, there is a lot of pressure when it comes to deciding the name for their baby. There is the safe option of naming them traditional ones such as Elizabeth or David, while others opt for the most popular names of the time, such as last year’s Olivia, Liam, Emma, and Noah.

For some, however, they want the name of their baby to be as unique as possible. But unique doesn’t always mean it’s good. For some, the names can come off as… bogan.

Gone are the days when parents used to just pop a hyphen and “Lee” at the end of any name to create the perfect bogan combo. These days, the names are a little more complex, with parents everywhere getting more and more “creative” with their naming decisions.

Some parents use the name of a character in their favourite video games or mythical TV series, while others name their baby mundane everyday items (a vape brand?). A majority of them, however, simply swap some letters in common names, like a C for a K or X, or an E for a Y, or add more unnecessary vowels to make the name more “unique”.

At first glance, you would have thought they misspelled it!

The best bogan names have been revealed for this year, and be prepared, folks, because the list has some absolute crackers!

XIrf07o_o0wVm3quSBEO_YNz6v3RCz8tKvxpmzXKQQonOMCwKOklQETqyj3TAJrv9XkeQ1Fv6iF4Z_cl8EPWGy4PbkvAgOzlsTjCYYdPLUfpjOM0GV0A5gKijnCYUKEunfVdDcpL

Australia’s most bogan baby names for 2022 have been revealed. Credit: iStock.
Best bogan names for girls
  • Brexleigh
  • Iveighsee
  • Juul
  • Kardi
  • Kior
  • Maevery
  • Miraccle
  • Resilia
  • Salmon
  • Samanda
Best bogan names for boys
  • Brave
  • Draven
  • Draxler
  • Kashdon
  • Knoxlee
  • Ledgen
  • Maxon
  • Roar
  • Zaiken
  • Zinc

Experts say that the growing trend of parents giving their children unique names is usually driven by a focus on a child’s individuality, and is partly influenced by the parents' exposure to a wider range of naming options than ever before.

Naming conventions have been pretty much thrown out of the window, at this point.

While unique and one-of-a-kind baby names can be seen as a special gift and a powerful way to help a child create their own identity, these names can also be quite a challenge, especially if they fall outside of social norms.

Do you have more “bogan” names to add to the list? Or do you think we’re being unfair by referring to them as ‘bogan names’ in the first place? Share your opinion with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I taught Kinder for a lot of years and one thing I know is that children hate having to tell people how to spell and pronounce their names.I regard it inflicting mental cruelty on an innocent child. There are so many regular names that are not common to name a child. Just ask anyone with an unusual name whether they would thank a parent for saddling them with a troublesome moniker.

Reactions: relljube
I worked for over a decade managing a paediatric practice and believe me, I've seen every weird name and spelling imaginable. I know the parents think they are giving their child a "unique" name - but let me assure you that they are just giving their child a handicap which will follow them throughout their life. Psychological studies have shown that children with names that are hard to spell and/or pronounce will be subject to discrimination at school and later on in the workforce. Teachers will tend not to call on those children in class. Their resumes are less likely to be selected by an employer. Studies have been done with identical job applications showing that those submitted using common names like Mary Smith are much more likely to be given an interview than applicants with weird or bogan names,

When my daughter-in-law was pregnant with her second child, she said that if it was a girl she would call her Thalia because no one could or would make fun of her. I said that I shall then call her Jenny. I was called a lot of (rude) names for spoiling the choice of name. I was relieved when the second grand child was a boy. (Phew).

A friend named her children Devery (boy), Allendre (girl) and Ambross (boy). The first 2 names were out of books that she had read and the last one was originally going to be Ambrose until the Godmother said that other kids might call him Rose/Rosie. These children are well adjusted adults who are proud of their unique names and they never suffered any kind of back flack from others about their names. The girl went on to have 2 daughters of her own and gave them unique names of their own - Cherakeh & Zamyra. These girls have a best friend in High School called Yazzmen. Personally I still can't wrap my head around the name Abcde for a girl.

Reactions: 68autobug
I have a friend whose son has named his 5 children bogan names. They are Levi, Zaki, Reign, Loki and Talon Wolf!! Zaki is a girl.
POOR KIDS.... it is bad enough when a normal name is spelt entirely different... When I see a name badge on someone & I think how they would need to spell their name every time they are asked for it to be written down etc.... Mersadies instead of MERCEDES ?? Jorja instead of Georgia?? Geremy instead of JEREMY !! The BOGAN list of the year were just TERRIBLE.... Remember when kids were named JR JT or any other two letters...!! those kids are still growing up with those names.... Probably the worst name I know of locally is L'al or something similar with the apostraphre !!!! a female around 25 years old.... YIKES.... LEE 68autobug ..

Reactions: Thecla
Not only silly made up names but the pretentious parent usually throws a tanty when it is spelled or pronounced incorrectly.
I grew up with a real name that was quite different, To this day I have never met another Thecla excluding my mother............I still have to explain to everyone where it's from, at least the kids can say ohhhh mum made it up hahahahahahaha

The parents should be shot. Their children are going to have to continually spell their name for the rest of their lives (or they could change it by deed poll when legally allowed).

Some parents just don't think; they are just trying to be "smart". NOT!!!

Reactions: 68autobug
as a teacher it can be challenging. Often the unusual spellings don't make the sounds the parents were after. So you can't help but mis- pronounce what they believe it should be.

REVEALED: Most Bogan Names in Australia for 2022

Back then, parents used to want their kids to fit in. Now, they want them to stand out.

Looks like Aussie mums and dads are now much more “creative” when picking names than previous generations were, huh?

For many parents and parents-to-be, there is a lot of pressure when it comes to deciding the name for their baby. There is the safe option of naming them traditional ones such as Elizabeth or David, while others opt for the most popular names of the time, such as last year’s Olivia, Liam, Emma, and Noah.

For some, however, they want the name of their baby to be as unique as possible. But unique doesn’t always mean it’s good. For some, the names can come off as… bogan.

Gone are the days when parents used to just pop a hyphen and “Lee” at the end of any name to create the perfect bogan combo. These days, the names are a little more complex, with parents everywhere getting more and more “creative” with their naming decisions.

Some parents use the name of a character in their favourite video games or mythical TV series, while others name their baby mundane everyday items (a vape brand?). A majority of them, however, simply swap some letters in common names, like a C for a K or X, or an E for a Y, or add more unnecessary vowels to make the name more “unique”.

At first glance, you would have thought they misspelled it!

The best bogan names have been revealed for this year, and be prepared, folks, because the list has some absolute crackers!

XIrf07o_o0wVm3quSBEO_YNz6v3RCz8tKvxpmzXKQQonOMCwKOklQETqyj3TAJrv9XkeQ1Fv6iF4Z_cl8EPWGy4PbkvAgOzlsTjCYYdPLUfpjOM0GV0A5gKijnCYUKEunfVdDcpL

Australia’s most bogan baby names for 2022 have been revealed. Credit: iStock.
Best bogan names for girls
  • Brexleigh
  • Iveighsee
  • Juul
  • Kardi
  • Kior
  • Maevery
  • Miraccle
  • Resilia
  • Salmon
  • Samanda
Best bogan names for boys
  • Brave
  • Draven
  • Draxler
  • Kashdon
  • Knoxlee
  • Ledgen
  • Maxon
  • Roar
  • Zaiken
  • Zinc

Experts say that the growing trend of parents giving their children unique names is usually driven by a focus on a child’s individuality, and is partly influenced by the parents' exposure to a wider range of naming options than ever before.

Naming conventions have been pretty much thrown out of the window, at this point.

While unique and one-of-a-kind baby names can be seen as a special gift and a powerful way to help a child create their own identity, these names can also be quite a challenge, especially if they fall outside of social norms.

Do you have more “bogan” names to add to the list? Or do you think we’re being unfair by referring to them as ‘bogan names’ in the first place? Share your opinion with us in the comments below!

there are JASLEE - GEREMY [with a G] TIA -TALIA- DANNIELLE [with extra N & L] and many others I cannot remember because they are just odd.... I always think when I hear them that they will never ever find a cup or bottle of coke with their name on it.... also JT & JR - etc etc....I knew of a woman with the name of HAZEL she moved away & came back as SUE .... LOL..