REVEALED: Best cleaning hacks for hard-to-clean kitchenware

REVEALED: Best cleaning hacks for hard-to-clean kitchenware
I am sure most of us here at the SDC dread cleaning home appliances (or anything really). I know most of you can relate to me if I reveal that some appliances in my home stay shelved because they are burdensome to clean. Kitchenware such as air fryers, microwaves, and blenders take a lot of time, energy, and effort to keep tidy, that we sometimes tend to turn a blind eye to the grease streaks and food residue that build up in these appliances (yikes!).

Most of us here are on the lookout for a quick fix to cleaning these hard-to-clean appliances. That's why I am happy to share with you these amazing cleaning hacks for microwaves, air fryers, and more!

mLweOYu8nK0az2kOGN_urrn01cO8KAERxKlnggQQYNu_ws9_M8nogyJqTjhnhrmeUAYNxiUip6wVOahocZj-dmPdqtPO_7Sak60Rz9lvNn3A40dVIC97qmWq_LTbEunBqnB6NnA

Source: CHOICE

1. Microwaves
A lot of us use microwaves everyday to conveniently heat leftovers. This is the reason why this kitchenware is susceptible to trapping a pungent smell that is not pleasing to the nose (at all).

CHOICE expert Fiona Mair revealed that the best and least toxic way to deodorise the lingering smell is to clean them with lemon and water.

The expert said: "Place lemon slices in a microwave-proof bowl of water and heat on high for two to three minutes, before allowing to sit for five minutes while the steam gets to work deodorising."

Additionally, she said that giving the walls and door "a quick wipe down with a microfibre cloth" results in a lemon-scented microwave and who doesn’t want that?!

lk8lfn0hsAyipCe09oEGawgNex1QbFWyvAGFoNRro6jyDfrRWhVetLpr7-erZp8YkCzMx3mplfn7sMirZM95aHNVfh_kbKNmY0hgBCyITMjTdp7K5CEg5DFviW1taaH8UWvgXxs

Source: Getty Images

2. Blenders
Did you know that there's a quick fix to cleaning a dirty blender? Save yourself from scrubbing the blades of this machine by doing this simple hack:
1. Rinse out the jug of any residue right after using the machine.
2. Squirt a small amount of detergent in it.
3. Add water then turn the blender on.

The soapy water does the work for you by cleaning the blades and sides of the jug.

kDocDG3V5oF42xvTWHxV_jnx5eLk5dfIjIPH5LlQ77uProIc62Rg6OP_nYXKa_HAHqp0FsGdtSXsY975rXqgXtFAb4Lg_bofko-Ecx5QyF2UWOEsjQGYjAH6n7lRwfyTYHSrD7c

Source: Jamila Toderas

3. Jaffle makers
Let's be honest, this machine is the most onerous to clean! Cleaning the burnt cheese and other food particles that clog the crevices between the plates and hinges is infuriating.

This hack suggests that you let the bits cool out and dry first before using a wooden toothpick to pick them out.

Also, we can take preventative measures to reduce the chances of our jaffle makers from getting filthy — simply wipe a little olive oil or butter (this makes the toastie extra yum too) around the edges before the machine heats up to prevent the cheese from getting ironed on during the toasting.

It is also advised that you should only add your sandwich once your jaffle iron is at peak heat.

Other cleaning tips for jaffle makers:
1. Unplug and wipe the machine down using a microfibre cloth.
2. Once you wipe away the crumbs using a microfibre cloth, use a damp cloth to wipe it over.
3. Wet a paper towel and plop it onto spots with stubborn baked-on bits and set aside until it is dry.
4. Wipe away the baked-on bits with the paper towel.

6wxNRNj_c02259AN4tb5k0_TmIXLJJs5r1-9RntZ98kNI9X455nd7pdxxT3TyZyMQ7NtkPFOMFMdvM3Zbvq6NqtXeEj701EmrKxuoCCKuurI8RUEVlqw7SVZXhToP-e-AhWbwUw

Source: CHOICE.

4. Ovens
For those who are looking for a quick fix to clean their ovens, I am sorry to inform you that, sadly, there's no silver bullet for cleaning your oven.

However, these tips can make the task easier!

Tips for cleaning an oven:
  • Wipe down your oven after each use to prevent food buildup, saving yourself from cleaning the oven for hours.
  • Grubby oven racks can be cleaned by soaking them in a laundry tub (or any container large enough to hold them) with an enzyme-based detergent.

D0_54cZaziOvdQXpKG6mxYchuB1Br0vltbMOpn0i_IWFbucwttkArkP3OwXItY4LdHar4-J6J5r7hBK79ZfrLg1D8I3SXSP21PjOvtTmcfCDZl3Pl5C5PB911uWRmmkOvx317Tk

5. Coffee machines

For coffee lovers who use coffee machines regularly (like us), this hack is for you!

Tips for cleaning coffee machines:
  • Use a new toothbrush to scrub any built-up grinds from the 'shower head' (the part of the machine where water comes out).
  • You may also twist a slightly damp paper towel into a spear and wipe the tip around the 'shower head' to pick out the bits.
  • Use a paperclip or pin to unclog the milk build-up from the holes of the nozzle of a milk-steaming wand. Also, let off a burst of steam from the wand so the remaining dried milk will be pushed out.
  • Use a microfibre cloth to remove fingerprints from shiny surfaces.

vnblrUtL42C_XhI7oxSebIoKVEpTMf2PZEID5A66E_f2Iz4Tt-0FvYJYBeJNObZabgyghqRypyOPuLZc_gc64FHsua7Yj-2IUd_ts8hHr3LKtISj_aEcrXIcIvPx5qGpMLj7SlE

6. Dishwashers
Lots of products that promise deep-cleaning to your dishwasher contain chemicals. However, did you know that there's a chemical-free alternative to them and it's just sitting in your kitchen? Vinegar is a versatile household cleaner that can either clean or deodorise your dishwasher!

Add a few cups of vinegar to a bowl on the bottom rack of an empty dishwasher and run the hottest cycle to get rid of the smell, grease, limescale, and other gunk in your dishwasher.

LoYsesrx4OxjPMLRenF31BAsbO9-HPZWYsbz_LYrFp4qjlNhLhFWSPgpaqQF8EOmRAqzhWmOVJ_myyjGIdZmyIaU5hpqCCb11Qg4neXDQ6HackSRmrIFP-4byb7cVWeMdrQgqQ8

Source: CHOICE

7. Air fryers
This multi-purpose machine is hailed for making cooking much easier. However, cleaning them is a tough job. CHOICE expert Fiona gave the following tips to simplify cleaning this machine.

Tips for cleaning air fryers:
  • Wipe away any build-up once you unplug the machine.
  • Use a wooden toothpick to dislodge crumbs and food remnants from the mesh and grill.
  • To stop the fat from smoking (and save you time for cleaning), add a little water to the base of the drawer.
  • To deodorise, add a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice to the basket and run the fryer for a few minutes.

Sponsored
Thank you for these cleaning hacks especially the one for the air fryer, I use mine all the time and I hate having to clean it.

I find if you clean your Jaffle Maker with a damp cloth while it is still warm everything comes off and it’s instantly clean.

Reactions: Jonathan Leane