REVEALED: 5 places in the kitchen people forget to clean

Everybody wants their home to be spotless, especially the kitchen! Because of this, we put quite a bit of time and effort into keeping it clean and free of dirt.

But did you know that there are also some places in the kitchen that we often forget to clean?

When it comes to cleaning, there are five areas in every kitchen that most people tend to forget or overlook, according to Kacie Stephens, the brains behind the cleaning company The Big Clean Co.

In one of her most recent videos uploaded on TikTok, she listed the five areas in the kitchen that are frequently neglected and showed how they would look after a thorough cleaning.

olKcU-mki0R1StvumvcIZv8d1AmYwksIjXzBPK78BMGbAdI1ZdJhQyPIRdSn35kS6JuM2eaZQOyiiKjABIfb__R8spy45EzySkZ569VjNX-ax8ajenca0-G8OoN07FDXPGggO6yyIdjJe8s5iFw

People often forget about these parts of the kitchen that can get very dirty. Credit: TikTok/@thebigcleanco.

Bin cupboard

The first commonly neglected area in the kitchen she mentioned is the bin cupboard.

The kitchen trash bin receives a lot of rubbish almost every day, so it is only natural that the area around it eventually becomes somewhat dirty, too.

Even if you don't forget to take out the trash every day, the filth that accumulates in your bin cupboard over time can be just as bad as if you neglect to clean it.

The best way to make this chore less unpleasant is to do it regularly. Use a disinfectant wipe or spray on the area at least a couple of times per week, and then wipe it down completely.

Light fittings

It's not hard to tell when the light fixtures in your home could use a cleaning because they give off such a noticeable amount of dust. When filth and grime have accumulated around the bulb, you can simply unscrew it so that it can be cleaned.

The light fittings, on the other hand, are often overlooked when it comes to cleaning. In addition to becoming dirty over time, they also attract filth, dust, insects, and dirt. (Kacie even saw "fly droppings" in the video… yuck!)

Most fixtures can be cleaned easily with a microfiber towel, but if it hasn't been cleaned in a while, you may need a little extra help. If you want to use a cleaner, the best thing to do is mix a mild cleaner, like dish soap, with warm water.

But be careful, members! We have to warn you that you should never spray water or cleaning solutions directly onto electrical parts or wires. You also have to make sure the area is completely dry before putting the bulb back in.

In between oven glass

The space in between the oven glasses comes in at number three on Kacie's list of potential problem areas. Because of the surrounding heat, there is a chance that some food particles will find their way inside your oven door and congregate on the inner rim of the glass.

If this is the case, you will need to disassemble your oven door, manually scrub the oven glass, and then clean it by hand.

We suggest referring to your appliance's handbook for instructions on how to properly disassemble your oven door. Cleaning inside the glass door of the oven isn't impossible, but it does take some work, a plan, and maybe even some elbow grease to get it looking like new again.

Kickboards

Your kickboards lead a demanding life, so regular cleaning is necessary to keep them shining and looking fantastic.

Luckily for us, kitchen kickboards are easy to clean. All you need is soap and warm water. Apply it with a cotton cloth and rinse thoroughly before drying with a soft cloth.

However, in order to clean them, you have to get on your knees and go all the way down (just like Kacie did), which can be quite a hassle. Do not be afraid to ask for help when you need it!

Around the dishwasher

Last, but most certainly not least, Kacie pointed out that the area around the doors of the dishwasher needs to be cleaned as well.

You can clean the area by putting a small toothbrush in hot, soapy water and scrubbing around the door with it. Make sure to look inside any crevices, such as the hinges and the grooves on the rubber seal.

If there is a lot of buildup, this step may require some gentle scrubbing with an abrasive cleanser. Using a household sponge dipped in hot soapy water, remove the resulting grime. Wipe away any leftover cleaning solution with a clean, wet sponge.

So there you have it, folks! These are the parts of the kitchen that don't get cleaned as often as they should, so the next time you clean the kitchen, give them a good scrub.

Have you thought of anything else that could be included on this list? Please share it with us in the comments!

Reactions: Annette V and Ricci
Sponsored
Now the old age is staring me in the face I am finding I feel like "Calamity Jane." ha ha! I've been a clean freak all my life that friends said I MADE work for myself. Ego left out of it, I have HAD to accept to look @ something but not tie my knickers in a knot. That there is always tomorrow. YES, but one tomorrow one day will NOT come. So......we think of getting help but many jobs the hirers are not allowed to do for you. So one puts mind over matter, thinks for an alternative & copes the best she can until she knows she has to downsize what she used to do, to what can be overlooked until you are sensible enough to accept you are permanently disadvantaged. Lace curtains, venetian blinds, cutlery if not stainless, underneath frig, freezer. (if they aren't on rollers), inside window over the sink, and the sliding cords that are on drapes that in time don't run as smooth. Knobs on cupboards often get missed being too high up. Losing the sight of one eye, two prosthesis knees that enable one to kneel, two shoulders out of whack & feet I'd like to give away, I STILL think of alternatives daily. I am alive, still with a spare eye, I need spackle from Bunnings to fill the cracks in my face that finally are appearing,, to have something funny to laugh at, to have a ready smile to give someone else,: I'm doing ok. No moans because the moment I see someone worse off than myself I make conversation with them, ever so warily, & every time I leave them with smiles on their faces it makes me feel good too. I have never forgotten the lovely couple @ Chirnside my husband & I sat down to lunch with . They took the last table & offered the two seats left over to us both. It was meant to be. The wife had a walking stick pushing her lovely husband in a wheelchair. YES, we were both enjoying good health then. We asked them what they were having for lunch to be addressing the wife to be told her husband could not speak having had a Stroke. We saw to our lunches & the husband was so overcome that he & his wife had some people to be company with. We understood as soon as the two seats were offered to us that they had a need for company. We just KNEW because of another incident close to home that is so private to my family. There is ALWAYS someone hurting more than yourself isn't there? When you give someone a little of your time how can it not make you feel good?

Dont forget under the stove as well. My lights are fluroescent and I certainly cannot get up there to clean. As for getting down on my hands and knees well that is an impossibility now:(

Reactions: JayKay