Retired tram driver discovers strange beneficiaries on super fund account

Superannuation is the cornerstone of retirement planning for most Australians, providing a nest egg for those golden years.

However, a recent incident involving a man and his superannuation account reminds everyone in the over-60s community to remain vigilant about our retirement funds.

A retired tram driver, Kevin Coghlan, faced a startling revelation when he decided to review his superannuation fund with ESSSuper following a severe health scare.

To his utter disbelief, he discovered that the beneficiaries listed on his account were two women, both named as his daughters.

Except Mr Coghlan doesn't have any daughters.

1726016217760.png
Retired tram driver Kevin Coghlan was stunned to find two strangers on his superannuation account listed as beneficiaries. Credit: 9News Australia / Facebook

'I have one male child, not two female children,' he expressed his bewilderment.

The two women, strangers to him, had been listed as beneficiaries since 2021, the year he joined the fund.

‘There was a situation just recently where I could have died on the operating table,’ Mr Coghlan added.

Understandably, he was upset about the mistake and the nonchalant response from the ESSSuper employee, who informed him that correcting the error was a simple process.

'The person I was speaking to said, in a nonchalant type of manner, you can just go home and delete that and put whomever you wish,' he recounted.

ESSSuper's chief executive, Robbie Campo, explained that the mistake was due to a 'manual error' during the joining process, where another member's beneficiaries were incorrectly applied to Mr Coghlan's account.

Since then, ESSSuper has digitised its processes to minimise the risk of such errors happening again.

Campo also emphasised that they believe this to be an isolated incident and have since apologised to Mr Coghlan.

This incident has prompted the superannuation industry to regularly urge members to check their account statements and details.

Mary Delahunty, the chief executive of the Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia, reassured that it would be incredibly rare for funds to be wrongly paid out due to rigorous checks and balances in place.

'Superannuation is not like an estate. It's not the same as your will,' Delahunty explained.

'The trustee is actually obliged to check the validity of that even when it's a binding nomination.'
Key Takeaways
  • Kevin Coghlan, a retired tram driver, was shocked to find two unknown women listed as beneficiaries on his superannuation account.
  • The beneficiaries had been incorrectly listed on his account since 2021 due to a manual error at ESSSuper.
  • ESSSuper has since digitised its processes to reduce the likelihood of such errors occurring in the future.
  • The superannuation industry emphasised the importance of regularly checking account statements and details, as well as the robust checks in place to validate beneficiaries in the event of a member’s death.
Have you checked your superannuation details lately? Share your experiences and tips with our community in the comments below.

Sponsored
Lots of paperwork to fill out when beneficiaries claim . We just found this out. Children were beneficiaries but the fund gave it all to the new wife. So hopefully wouldn't have gone to the strangers. But it's bad that the error occurred especially if it was binding . Good to make people aware though. As for how it happened, someone screwed up.

I've heard about 2 different outcomes with Superannuation. The first was, man had his mum as beneficiary and they gave the money to his ex wife who was a druggie. His mum was looking after his daughter and she got nothing. The second was a man who had his wife as beneficiary but had no will so the super fund made her jump through hoops in order to get it. Both were in different states, different super funds and different years. So maybe different states have different laws for their super

Lots of paperwork to fill out when beneficiaries claim . We just found this out. Children were beneficiaries but the fund gave it all to the new wife. So hopefully wouldn't have gone to the strangers. But it's bad that the error occurred especially if it was binding . Good to make people aware though. As for how it happened, someone screwed up.
Exactly, propably pulled up the wrong file. Those beneficiaries have to claim the money, they wouldn't even know the person had died.

I've heard about 2 different outcomes with Superannuation. The first was, man had his mum as beneficiary and they gave the money to his ex wife who was a druggie. His mum was looking after his daughter and she got nothing. The second was a man who had his wife as beneficiary but had no will so the super fund made her jump through hoops in order to get it. Both were in different states, different super funds and different years. So maybe different states have different laws for their super
The whole point of a beneficiary is so they do not have to go through the will. You claim the money, they ensure it's the correct person and pay it out. Story doesn't sound right.

They should have sued the super fund

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
And this is another reason I'm untrusting of money in super! Yes the golden handcuffs of a supposedly good return keep me locked in, but it'd be good to have eggs in other baskets coz who knows!

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
The whole point of a beneficiary is so they do not have to go through the will. You claim the money, they ensure it's the correct person and pay it out. Story doesn't sound right.
I'm not so sure that's true. I am very aware of a case a few years ago where an estranged wife contested the will of the deceased. The beneficiaries named in 2 Super funds were ignored and most of the money was shared between the lawyers and the estranged wife. The named beneficiaries got very little of the inheritance they were pledged.

I agree with you, "Drusnat1912". Some inputer of information on the policy, may have trying to pull a swifty.
She may well have put her own 2 daughters as beneficiaries. Who knows "?"