Restaurant owner and customer FOUGHT over ‘disappointing’ customer service: “You’re an embarrassment”

The rising COVID-19 cases, along with stricter isolation policies, in the country have already impacted many service sectors due to supply and staff shortages. The food and hospitality sector is of course no exception.

mLGlhu_4Uir_5bQ3LBHLhXx6NZT-Bdu2B5itVV0aXJrJSNK_9LjlttgOOxkDqcwOoa-E3gA6PEdT9AiYgGLQgALky-6Xaq20w5ce7Seb6aaf4850hwT3h70iggjbllrug-Z2ArXY

Pelican’s Landing in Williamstown. Credit: Facebook.

One Melbourne restaurant owner has responded furiously to a ‘disrespectful’ customer after she complained about the restaurant’s poor service due to being short-staffed.

The customer in question is Kristina, who requested her full identity not be revealed.

“I was completely shocked, I couldn’t sleep that night,” she said, recalling the scathing email she received from John Mousaferiadis, owner of the iconic Pelican’s Landing in Williamstown.

On January 8, Kristina booked a table for three at Pelicans Landing. She was dining with her mother and mother-in-law, and had asked for a table with a view and the $19 menu. According to the 41-year-old customer, the restaurant said both are available for them.

However, when they arrived at the venue, they were met with terrible service.

“I caught an Uber there costing $25 and then waited over 15 minutes just to be seated,” she said.

“The table with a view I had requested was not available. I waited another half an hour without being offered a menu or drink. I finally went up to get a drink from the bar and was going to order meals and was told there was only a limited menu…”

“I understand it’s hard in COVID with staff shortages but this level of customer service is very disappointing and unacceptable.”

Later that afternoon, Mr Mousaferiadis caught wind of the situation and sent back a lengthy response.

“I am sorry for your experience,” he began.

“Obviously you have no idea what we are going through. We’re lucky to be just open and trying to serve everyone with no staff.”

Mr Mousaferiadis also explained that they were handling a wedding event of more than a hundred people upstairs with only two staff available.

“You just don’t understand, and to have a go at me in front of your mother… what an embarrassment for her,” he added. “What a disgrace you are to not only yourself but to me and your mother and now my staff.”

“I don’t need your comments and you don’t understand.”

“In my 23 years of owning Pelicans Landing, I have never met anyone as low as you. You don’t respect what the whole of the world is going through.”

“At least I was open trying to accommodate who I had on. And yes, if you had to eat like everyone else, you would have gotten served finally.”

Mr Mousaferiadis said the past three days have been extremely difficult for him and his staff. He had just personally recovered from the virus, yet he had to work “non-stop for 18 hours” when he got back.

“I can hardly walk now after three days of washing, polishing glasses and working so hard,” he said.

“You should be ashamed of yourself. Stay home and eat baked beans on dry crusty bread next time. You’re an embarrassment.”

When asked about the complaint, Kristina said she was aware of the staffing issues.

“But I rang in the afternoon and asked all these questions.” Then she asked: “Wouldn’t you not have taken the booking if you were that under the pump?”

h7niqwjXfJXjmyt-Qa45NgpWWdbIsRFz-L1PyL46wlqFIdg87CigT_LFy-ITZ5Y8fOr9-W756XqcQwjhSn_eeswga61NhtXVMB6jZq9Q4u0vG3L1olJds6_KdSYhxFiIk816ZUJW

Mr Mousaferiadis’ full response to the customer complaint. Credit: news.com.au.

What do you think? Should Pelican’s Landing not have accepted the booking (and the money) if they were not fit to deliver the required customer service? Or was Kristina in the wrong in expecting so much during the pandemic?

Reactions: Ricci and Chris
Sponsored
Well it would appear, judging by what Mr Mousaferiadis wrote at end of his response to this customer, he returned to the customer the money for the meal they enjoyed. Which considering, they did eat the said meal, they were fortunate to receive a refund! If you are going to complain then do so AS the situation you are complaining about arises...waiting 15 minutes for a table? Well I am sure this group could see there were few Staff working & allowances for this being the way things are right now, should have been made by this customer. Frustrating to have been told one thing over the phone & to be greeted with another scenario on arrival, yes! I concede this point. I do think that being that we are all in this situation TOGETHER (although many cannot afford to go out for a meal, so counting ones Blessings is a nice gesture), then making a few allowances to Owners/Managers/Staff working through this for the enjoyment & pleasure of SOME would be gracious & absolutely called for.
Perhaps not wanting to use her actual name, tells us even more of this customer. If you are going to complain then at least have the decency to use your real name, as the place & people you are complaining about have not been afforded same luxury!! And as Mr. Mousaferiadis, rightly so, calls her out on obviously making a childish fuss when she made the complaint AND then has the audacity to mention the cost of the Uber, oh yes clearly a hint to reimburse her that money as well, it would appear this is a classic 'Karen' - entitled, selfish, ignorant & greedy. Be sure your Staff are made aware to be honest over the phone when taking bookings, Mr Mousaferiadis, otherwise...good on you Sir !

What is not made clear is the timing, did the lady make the booking that same day or earlier. Staff can be lost to covid in the interim. Did the restaurant owner loose staff unexpectedly on that day? So many factors weigh into these disputes. The lady was un real and the restaurateur less than polite. ;)

What is not made clear is the timing, did the lady make the booking that same day or earlier. Staff can be lost to covid in the interim. Did the restaurant owner loose staff unexpectedly on that day? So many factors weigh into these disputes. The lady was un real and the restaurateur less than polite. ;)
Yes, true enough Vinylted, you make good points there.

Not sure how to reply. I feel for the restaurant owner as it must be so difficult for him BUT his response to a very rude woman was not called for in parts. He must have been so tired and flustered to make that response and should have waited until he had cooled down or was less tired. As for the woman.....the less I say about her is the best approach.

Sounds like the man is exhausted and at the end of his rope with stress, but he should have stopped his email at "sorry you had a bad experience, we are so very short staffed and everyone is working as hard as they can as we were also catering to a wedding".... maybe he could have added ...if you know anyone looking for work, please send them for interview!....

We owned a motel and believe you me people can be very abusive and disrespectful..
I would say this restaurant owner most probably had a few minor complaints about the service, and that particular lady got the brunt of he’s frustration. If you have ever been in a shop where the customer is angry at staff, you will note that they demonstrate some violent tendencies, one of which is being very loud and making an unnecessary scene.
Am I sticking up for the restaurant owner! No I’m not. What I would have done was politely canceled the booking and left.
Another point I would like to make is, how do you think a diner would have felt if he or she was rushed through their meal and jostled out of the restaurant just to give the lady the table she requested. There are many factors in this type of situation.

Sounds like the man is exhausted and at the end of his rope with stress, but he should have stopped his email at "sorry you had a bad experience, we are so very short staffed and everyone is working as hard as they can as we were also catering to a wedding".... maybe he could have added ...if you know anyone looking for work, please send them for interview!....
Good point Lynette, I just think the restaurant owner and staff were worked of their feet, and frustration set in. It happens to all of us after all we’re only human. 👍

Before the “bad times” hit, I have waited longer than 15 minutes to be seated, watched and waited my meal getting cold while 3 staff stood together talking and laughing . Did send the cold meal back. Venues that are understaffed due to the pandemic should be given more understanding. Buy another drink or have another glass of water.

Unless you have ever owned and run a restaurant, you would have no idea how hard it is with when short staffed. There is a way to complain and get it sorted, without disrespect. At this time, if you can’t show empathy to staff under the pump, Iagree,stay home and eat baked beans. No business is perfect, they are doing their best.

Restaurant owner and customer FOUGHT over ‘disappointing’ customer service: “You’re an embarrassment”

The rising COVID-19 cases, along with stricter isolation policies, in the country have already impacted many service sectors due to supply and staff shortages. The food and hospitality sector is of course no exception.

mLGlhu_4Uir_5bQ3LBHLhXx6NZT-Bdu2B5itVV0aXJrJSNK_9LjlttgOOxkDqcwOoa-E3gA6PEdT9AiYgGLQgALky-6Xaq20w5ce7Seb6aaf4850hwT3h70iggjbllrug-Z2ArXY

Pelican’s Landing in Williamstown. Credit: Facebook.

One Melbourne restaurant owner has responded furiously to a ‘disrespectful’ customer after she complained about the restaurant’s poor service due to being short-staffed.

The customer in question is Kristina, who requested her full identity not be revealed.

“I was completely shocked, I couldn’t sleep that night,” she said, recalling the scathing email she received from John Mousaferiadis, owner of the iconic Pelican’s Landing in Williamstown.

On January 8, Kristina booked a table for three at Pelicans Landing. She was dining with her mother and mother-in-law, and had asked for a table with a view and the $19 menu. According to the 41-year-old customer, the restaurant said both are available for them.

However, when they arrived at the venue, they were met with terrible service.

“I caught an Uber there costing $25 and then waited over 15 minutes just to be seated,” she said.

“The table with a view I had requested was not available. I waited another half an hour without being offered a menu or drink. I finally went up to get a drink from the bar and was going to order meals and was told there was only a limited menu…”

“I understand it’s hard in COVID with staff shortages but this level of customer service is very disappointing and unacceptable.”

Later that afternoon, Mr Mousaferiadis caught wind of the situation and sent back a lengthy response.

“I am sorry for your experience,” he began.

“Obviously you have no idea what we are going through. We’re lucky to be just open and trying to serve everyone with no staff.”

Mr Mousaferiadis also explained that they were handling a wedding event of more than a hundred people upstairs with only two staff available.

“You just don’t understand, and to have a go at me in front of your mother… what an embarrassment for her,” he added. “What a disgrace you are to not only yourself but to me and your mother and now my staff.”

“I don’t need your comments and you don’t understand.”

“In my 23 years of owning Pelicans Landing, I have never met anyone as low as you. You don’t respect what the whole of the world is going through.”

“At least I was open trying to accommodate who I had on. And yes, if you had to eat like everyone else, you would have gotten served finally.”

Mr Mousaferiadis said the past three days have been extremely difficult for him and his staff. He had just personally recovered from the virus, yet he had to work “non-stop for 18 hours” when he got back.

“I can hardly walk now after three days of washing, polishing glasses and working so hard,” he said.

“You should be ashamed of yourself. Stay home and eat baked beans on dry crusty bread next time. You’re an embarrassment.”

When asked about the complaint, Kristina said she was aware of the staffing issues.

“But I rang in the afternoon and asked all these questions.” Then she asked: “Wouldn’t you not have taken the booking if you were that under the pump?”

h7niqwjXfJXjmyt-Qa45NgpWWdbIsRFz-L1PyL46wlqFIdg87CigT_LFy-ITZ5Y8fOr9-W756XqcQwjhSn_eeswga61NhtXVMB6jZq9Q4u0vG3L1olJds6_KdSYhxFiIk816ZUJW

Mr Mousaferiadis’ full response to the customer complaint. Credit: news.com.au.

What do you think? Should Pelican’s Landing not have accepted the booking (and the money) if they were not fit to deliver the required customer service? Or was Kristina in the wrong in expecting so much during the pandemic?
The lady is absolutely correct, entitled, and supported, in voicing her disappointment, and shock, at being treated so rudely.
She rang ahead to check, an ensure PP was able to accommodate her requests.
PP agreed and accepted her requests, and even knew her menu choice!

The Pelican has missed the Point.

That vile, abusive, sickening email is disgraceful! What a pig.
Great his email is published - as proof of his revolting abuse.

Why were any bookings taken for casual diners when a 200px function was being held - KNOWING staff and kitchen could not cope with any extra diners?

COVID IS NO EXCUSE FOR ABUSE!

Reactions: Maaaaaa
Wow, what a heated situation! It's tough for both customers and restaurant owners during these pandemic times. I've had my fair share of dining-out frustrations lately. Communication between diners and establishments is key, but emotions can run high. Also, it's important to have a good POS at a restaurant (like https://apps.apple.com/us/app/waiterio-restaurant-pos-system/id848943564/) to ensure the order. I hope things improve soon!

Last edited: