Researchers find chocolate products can increase risk of cancer

For many of us, indulging in a piece of chocolate is one of life's simple pleasures.

But recent findings from researchers in Belgium have cast a shadow over this sweet treat, revealing that some chocolate products may harbour a dark secret: the presence of potentially cancer-causing chemicals.

Before you reach for that chocolate bar or slice of cake, let's delve into the unsettling discovery made by the Louvain Institute of Biomolecular Science and Technology (IBST) in Belgium.

Researchers have identified that certain store-bought chocolate desserts could contain dangerous compounds that damage DNA and increase the risk of cancer.

shutterstock_2319586885.jpg
Do you love eating chocolate? Credit: Shutterstock

These harmful substances, known as α,β-unsaturated carbonyls, are not sinister additives but rather the byproduct of roasting cocoa beans—a process essential for developing chocolate's rich flavour.

The concern arises when these compounds interact with proteins and enzymes in our stomachs, potentially causing cells to divide at an abnormal rate and leading to the formation of cancerous cells.

The study, which scrutinised 22 different desserts, including crepes, waffles, cakes, and biscuits, found varying levels of genotoxic furan compounds, which contain carcinogens.

While the researchers did not disclose the specific brands they tested, they did note that the products were sourced from Belgian supermarkets and included both national and distributor brands.

The study revealed that desserts like crepes, waffles, and cakes had the highest concentration of these toxic substances, with levels reaching 4.3 milligrams per kilogram.

To put this into perspective, the recommended daily intake of these compounds is a mere 0.15 milligrams.

‘Though naturally found in many foods, these carbonyls are also used as flavouring additives, and some have been banned in the European Union,’ the press release said.

Dr Alexandre Dusart, the study's lead author, emphasised the need for ongoing research to understand the 'key parameters' that influence the formation of these compounds and to limit their presence in our food.

'The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) should perform risk assessments on such matters,' Dusart said.

'Based on these, risk management authorities should take relevant actions to protect consumers.'
Key Takeaways
  • Researchers have warned that some store-bought chocolate desserts may contain dangerous chemicals known as genotoxic furan compounds that could damage DNA and cause cancer.
  • The harmful chemicals are formed during the roasting of cocoa beans and are prevalent in mass-produced treats due to higher baking temperatures used by companies.
  • A study from the Louvain Institute of Biomolecular Science and Technology found high levels of these cancer-causing chemicals in popular treats like crepes, waffles, and cakes.
  • The research team called for monitoring of flavourings in food and suggested that the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) should perform risk assessments to protect consumers.
Will this research influence your chocolate-buying habits? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm gonna die happy then, eating chocolate the whole way. I don't smoke, I don't drink, never had a tattoo, or taken illegal drugs

My body is wracked with different ailments and diseases, which over time, will be fatal, but so is living. If I want a chocolate bar, or a piece of cake, or waffle, then I will.

Some things in life are lip smacking good and chockie tops the pops.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I'm gonna die happy then, eating chocolate the whole way. I don't smoke, I don't drink, never had a tattoo, or taken illegal drugs

My body is wracked with different ailments and diseases, which over time, will be fatal, but so is living. If I want a chocolate bar, or a piece of cake, or waffle, then I will.

Some things in life are lip smacking good and chockie tops the pops.
Yeah I’m joining your club go you.😍

Hahaha many years ago they told us fried eggs causes cancer. I'm now 60 and have eaten loads of fried eggs and I'm still kicking along. Now chocolate hahaha, well I'm not giving that up either 🤪

Reactions: Littleboy8
If chocolate desserts may cause cancer , what has that to do with crepes and waffles ? There is no chocolate primarily in these products . I never put chocolate on my homemade crepes , I put lot’s of fresh strawberries on waffles . Why do they associate that with chocolate? You do not cook the crepes or bake the waffles with chocolate in the batter , unless I missed something .

If chocolate desserts may cause cancer , what has that to do with crepes and waffles ? There is no chocolate primarily in these products . I never put chocolate on my homemade crepes , I put lot’s of fresh strawberries on waffles . Why do they associate that with chocolate? You do not cook the crepes or bake the waffles with chocolate in the batter , unless I missed something .
You can if you like chocolate I have it’s not unknown to.😊

The store-bought desserts they tested would probably have included chocolate, unlike your home- made ones. Personally, I like my crêpes flambées, with caramelised fruit.

I'd like to know who the manufacturer is as we have a lot of Belgian chocolates on our shelves now.

Next they will be saying water gives us cancer. I believe we get cancer with having the smart meters, mobile phones, overhead telephone wires, TV Microwave ovens, computers etc.

While chocolate is a popular treat, it's essential to be mindful of the potential contaminants it may contain. The findings highlight the need for more rigorous testing and consumer awareness to minimise health risks associated with heavy metals in chocolate products.

"
  • Researchers have warned that some store-bought chocolate desserts may contain dangerous chemicals that could damage DNA and cause cancer.'
  • Yes. And so do the so-called 'vaccines' that are being pushed down our throats!