Report reveals Centrelink payments ‘too low’ to cover basic living costs

As the cost of living continues to soar, many find it difficult to make ends meet.

This is particularly true for those on Centrelink payments, who are often the most vulnerable members of our community.

A recent report from Anglicare Australia has highlighted the dire situation faced by welfare recipients amid the nation's worst inflationary period since the 1980s, calling for an urgent increase in Centrelink payments to help alleviate the financial strain.

The report painted a grim picture of the reality for households with the lowest incomes.

shutterstock_1031007523.jpg
Anglicare Australia’s report revealed the welfare recipients’ situation amid the worst inflationary period in the country. Credit: Shutterstock

These individuals and families are spending nearly all of their budgets on essential items, leaving little to no room for discretionary spending.

This means that when prices for necessities such as food, housing, and electricity rise, they are disproportionately affected.

Over the past two years, housing costs have surged by 22 per cent, food and grocery prices by 17 per cent, and electricity costs by a similar margin.

'It has become clear over the past 18 months that many Australians are living too precariously to cope with the shocks brought on by rising living costs,' the report said.

Anglicare Australia's Executive Director, Kasy Chambers, has pointed out welfare recipients borrowing money to cover rent, skipping meals, and forgoing insurance payments to afford the necessities.

'People on low incomes did not create Australia's cost-of-living crisis,' Chambers said.

'They shouldn't be asked to pay a higher price for it. We need a plan to stop the lowest-paid Australians from being pushed deeper into poverty.'

The charity's report called for immediate action from the federal government to raise the rate of all social security payments above the poverty line.

Furthermore, the report advocated for establishing an Independent Social Security Commission.

This body would have the authority to adjust payments as needed rather than relying on the current system, which would have them indexed to the inflation rate.

In a previous story, experts highlighted the complex reality many Centrelink recipients face despite the latest indexation to payments.

They said that a significant number of those on social security were engaged in work that isn’t compensated financially. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• Welfare recipients in Australia are struggling amid the rising cost of living, with essential items such as food and housing seeing significant price increases.
  • A report from Anglicare Australia indicated that low-income households are the worst affected by the country's inflationary period since the 1980s.
  • The charity recommended raising Centrelink payments above the poverty line and establishing an Independent Social Security Commission to adjust payments.
  • Anglicare Australia's Executive Director highlighted that welfare recipients are resorting to borrowing money, skipping meals, and forgoing insurance just to afford necessities.
What are your thoughts on the current state of Centrelink payments? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's a disastrous situation beyond what you may imagine unless you are in the mix... government knows and will continue to push it for WEF control. Next thing no family in this situation will be able to school the kids . criminal 9 year Olds now emerging .the starve is on .. insurance lmao mine is cancelled all of it I'd rather eat . pension joke one day gone .rent bills car payment .health items scams cons .one day pension gone that leaves 13 days of misery lol thank god in my own way I enjoy my misery only choice but others turned into vultures don't . tyrantical government at our throat middle class still asleep un fuking believable.fuk EWF china NWO.fight these knts or descend into a hell U never would have imagined in your worst night mares

The minimum wage has recently been set to $23 per hour …. The single pension is paid at $14 per hour using same base, a mere 60% of the minimum wage. Bearing in mind that a large number of those on the pension who are over the age of 70 did not have compulsory superannuation contributions for the majority of their working life.
Maybe the highly paid politicians could explain to us how they consider this fair …. we pay the same rates for electricity, gas, fuel, food as those on $23 per hour and those “representatives” (not really) in Canberra.

What about pensioners they missed out on a rise except the CPI which was $19.60 in sept if you're single or a couple not sure on that one , disabled much the same.As for unemployed they got CPI rise plus an extra rise last year as for them, the best welfare rise is a JOB.

Reactions: Ricci
I am 69, no super, no savings, 1999 Ute, renting, divorced. Live on own in rural remote area in Victoria. Nearest shop is a 50km drive, so fuel and Ute are essential.
I am still paying family maintenance from my pension plus rent, fuel and sometimes food as well.
Nearest City is about a 200km drive for the big stores.
Medical services except for the Bush Nursing Centre are non-existant.
The local health organisation withdrew their once a month services, so again a 200km drive to hospital and doctors. More fuel at inflated cost.

Next pension day, have to pay Ute rego, rent, power, fuel, phone (mobile pre-paid) and internet (have a voucher for that from very bad service) maybe food.

Internet I use just for things like study and communicating with my bank, my Oncologists, and my friends (yes real not imagined like faceplant )

so just done a quick budget - I do this on a daily basis so every cent is taken care of before I get my pension payment. The next pay I will be at the same point: no savings, 20 litres of diesel, rent, maintenance, internet ($25 a month), medications for my cancer treatment as well as COAD.
No food money and nothing in my bank - that’s next week.

A trying to grow some veggies, the tomatoes were so sweet. I can’t plant in the grounds here so it’s all in pots. At the bottom is bark from the logs I had harvested long ago, followed by some potting mix then sheep poo then, when repotting new plants grown from seed, the plant and more potting mix.Iave unutterable of potting mix and pots, but my radishes need thinning out.

I think all payments should be higher because everything from petrol to groceries rent and power bills gas bills water bills are all rising significantly whereas welfare payments are not I dont know how much payments should go up but at the present payments we are getting left further and further behind as it is we have to struggle on what we can afford to pay from one payday to the next

IT TIME THE GOVERNMENT REMEMBERS IT IS NOT WELFARE YHEY TOOK ALL MONEY PAID BY TAXPAYER IN THE 1940'S T0 PAY FOR THE WAR SAID THEN GOVERMENT WOULD PAY A PENSION THEN IN THE 50.S ADDED 1.5% TO TAX TO PAY SAME SO IT IS A PENSION NOT WELFAIR HOPE SOME OF THE POLLIES READ THIS AS A LOT OF THEM WERE 10 POUND POMS AND ALSO A LOT OF THEM WERE ASSISTED IMMIGRANTS

I think that the pension should be tagged against the parlementary minimum for a minister and their food, grog, travel and accommodation bills.
I dont think that the parliamentary grog bill has ever been explained. Who has drunk how much and why was a Minister allowed back in the chamber when wasted to vote on a critical bill?
There was a while ago buzz about a pensioner or other welfare recipients drinking - but the ministers are drinking at the bar with our tax money.
‘Yes, I like a drink. If I am lucky, I may get a glass or two a month. But they seem to drink like elephants

The Government gives us rises in our payments based on the CPI which is usually much less than 2%. Meanwhile the cost of what we actually buy viz. Petrol, food, gas, electricity, rent et al all go up by 20+%! That means we are always behind! Stop using this incredibly unfair way of increasing our payments and maybe our hardships will lessen. Currently people on aged pensions (especially single women) are really, really struggling on a payment that is less than the poverty line. I had to pay out $2500 recently for car repairs and, with no money in the bank, had to rely on borrowing from my children and getting an advance on my pension, which if course means I have even less to live on. It's a constant vicious circle.

Announced as part of the current govt’s employment strategy, the increased one off amount of $4000 up to $11800 in the first year that can be earned by individual aged pensioners before 50c in the dollar is lost is not just mean spirited but a lost opportunity. As a qualified primary teacher doing casual relief I could earn the daily payment is $400. Just doing the maths reveals it wouldn’t be long before I would be working for less than half pay after tax to do a challenging job where teachers are in demand. I dont see high income earners paying an effective taxation rate in excess if over 50% +. The so called Work Bonus is a poverty trap, a legacy of the Morrison years and preceding govts. No doubt others in caring professions would return to undertake vital roles if there was any real incentive but the ungenerous so called Work Bonus isnt one them. I note no restrictions on former politicians to earn more while picking up their govt pensions. Are there any others in similar circumstances that feel this way?

I am 69, no super, no savings, 1999 Ute, renting, divorced. Live on own in rural remote area in Victoria. Nearest shop is a 50km drive, so fuel and Ute are essential.
I am still paying family maintenance from my pension plus rent, fuel and sometimes food as well.
Nearest City is about a 200km drive for the big stores.
Medical services except for the Bush Nursing Centre are non-existant.
The local health organisation withdrew their once a month services, so again a 200km drive to hospital and doctors. More fuel at inflated cost.

Next pension day, have to pay Ute rego, rent, power, fuel, phone (mobile pre-paid) and internet (have a voucher for that from very bad service) maybe food.

Internet I use just for things like study and communicating with my bank, my Oncologists, and my friends (yes real not imagined like faceplant )

so just done a quick budget - I do this on a daily basis so every cent is taken care of before I get my pension payment. The next pay I will be at the same point: no savings, 20 litres of diesel, rent, maintenance, internet ($25 a month), medications for my cancer treatment as well as COAD.
No food money and nothing in my bank - that’s next week.

A trying to grow some veggies, the tomatoes were so sweet. I can’t plant in the grounds here so it’s all in pots. At the bottom is bark from the logs I had harvested long ago, followed by some potting mix then sheep poo then, when repotting new plants grown from seed, the plant and more potting mix.Iave unutterable of potting mix and pots, but my radishes need thinning out.
Have you thought about moving closer to a town where you can access things more easily and take the pressure off your misery.🤔just wondering.

It’s absolutely ridiculous my share of the rent just went up 65$ a fortnight the government just gave me $2.27 towards it. I’m lucky I share a house with one other or I’d be living in a tent . I have worked it out if on my next rent increase I will be living in a tent as I’m currently paying $500 a fortnight from my $954 unemployment. No I can’t work I’m on 65 on a medical certificate and still waiting for results from the neuro surgeon. I’m one of the those that puts the money away each week for each bill so that everything gets paid some weeks food doesn’t get bought there’s a lot of plain spaghetti and tomato sauce on the menu. Dam I’d love a steak even a tough one. Albo keeps mentioning his mum was a single mum on the benefit and how hard it was well it’s worse now and I bet his time at uni was free.
Someone need to do something the unemployment money is just not enough.
It doesn’t help that the opposition's who ever it is will agree with me but when they get in they say oh no sorry nothing for you.
Yes there are a lot of younger people that can and should be working but us oldies are in a hard place when you keep upping the age to get the pension. The pension is currently 290$ above what I’m getting now.
To get a rental the real estate will tell you the rent has to be 1/3 of your income Not 1/2 .

Reactions: Ricci and maherdj
i Am a full time carer I work from around 7am to 10pm and am on call 24/7. I get paid about $450.00 per week from social security. that equates to around $4.29 per hour. I do not get paid penalty rates for after hours or being on call. I do not get sick leave and I do not get holiday pay or public holidays. Nor do I get any reimbursement for my travel taking the person I care for to medical appointments, drop off and pickup to and from social meetings with family and friends. Anyway I’m sure you get the picture my average fuel cost is $260.00 per fortnight.

My life before I worked full time in a management position and earned a 6 figure salary had a company vehicle and fuel card and I worked an average of 40 to 48 hours per week. I had 4 weeks paid leave every year public holidays and sick leave. I was well supported by my employer and even had access to the company paid employee support service that included psychologist free of charge to me.

After 5 years as a carer I no longer have any savings left, my superannuation is no where close to what I had planned it to be at retirement.

i am not me, I have no confidence I am isolated I constantly worry how I can pay bills and eat well enough to maintain my health. I skip meals and often count a slice of bread with a cup of stock powder in boiling water as a meal. NDIS rejected and disability support provided for 1.5 hrs a fortnight with a small fee charged to the person I care for.
it may come as a shock but I am only one of thousands and thousands people forced into full time carer jobs that get paid less than $5.00 an hours. Who have been severely impacted by a situation they did not choose or plan. It’s no wonder a sense of worthless creeps in when I see my net value is $4 .29 an hour. Seriously it is not enough to survive on and I can’t change my circumstances unless I abandon the person I care for or death do us apart. Then what after years out of the workforce no option to keep up with the changing landscape of technology in employment and considered of mature age I worry and fear my worth will always be seen as negligible.
Please understand I know how much I am valued by the person I care for, I understand they see and feel my loss as they have lived it too, they can not change their disabilities or recover or get better or do more, it just adds to their feelings of guilt and failure which they do not deserve.

the government must look at increasing these payments to a level that affords survival and provides the dignity of being able to put food on a table afford utilities keep a roof over heads of every person on a social security benefit or payment. Allow people to live really live not just have a scrap through existence.

I think all payments should be higher because everything from petrol to groceries rent and power bills gas bills water bills are all rising significantly whereas welfare payments are not I dont know how much payments should go up but at the present payments we are getting left further and further behind as it is we have to struggle on what we can afford to pay from one payday to the next
NSW took away petrol vouchers.now that's nasty slap in the face for last decade pensioners got 200$ once a year for travel including petrol...of course now the ref don't what people traveling oh no got to be. Locked down . government is a tyrantical piece of dog vomit .and I'm not cowering down to this scum. plus the anger they generate in us older Australians is so damaging to our health another win for them..but gov . remember where a lot of us came from . warriors real ferocious warriors who bled for freedom .

Reactions: Ricci and maherdj
I am not against people on pensions but be thankful for what you get because if you were, like me, a self funded retiree with no job, no super, no family, no help and no govt. help you would be even worse off!! I worked for years, was taxed and paid for everyone else's pension but when my turn came was told I was not entitled to anything. How disgusting is that! The lucky country - no - the greedy country would be more like it!

Maybe they should get some part time work! I‘ve worked very hard all my life and now am having to pay tax on any interest I get from investments or final income. I get so fed up with people who have never gone out and worked for their futures. Now everyone from the government down to the don‘t haves because they didn’t try to put some away think people like us who get nothing from the government at all, should give up some of what we worked so hard for. A pension would barely pay for my medication let alone private hearth insurance, which is essential for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
The Government should be held accountable. They wasted $450 million on a stupid referendum. And then let all these so called illegal out murderers and all. which we kept and housed for many years plus bringing in more people than should have been. and house and pay for them as most of them won't work and never will. All the While The Treasurer Charmer says we have to tighten our belts can't get any tighter. That's great coming from someone who getting paid an extraordinary amount to say this. Labor the workers friend what c--p.

Last edited:
I am not against people on pensions but be thankful for what you get because if you were, like me, a self funded retiree with no job, no super, no family, no help and no govt. help you would be even worse off!! I worked for years, was taxed and paid for everyone else's pension but when my turn came was told I was not entitled to anything. How disgusting is that! The lucky country - no - the greedy country would be more like it!
I quite agree and we have had very few holidays in our lifetime as our children needed a lot of healthcare and somewhere to go to school where the teachers understood that they had complex medical issues.

What about pensioners they missed out on a rise except the CPI which was $19.60 in sept if you're single or a couple not sure on that one , disabled much the same.As for unemployed they got CPI rise plus an extra rise last year as for them, the best welfare rise is a JOB.
Don't you mean March? Age pension is index and changes in Sept and March.