Rent regulations are no silver bullet, but they would help make renting fairer

file-20240109-21-rp7fc4.png

Dan Peled/AAP

Virtually every week brings news of rising rents or a story of still more renters forced out of their homes by unmanageable rent increases.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says rents climbed 6.6% in the year to October.

If you’re signing a new rent agreement the situation is worse, with landlords charging on average 8.6% more than they did a year ago, and far more – about 15% more than a year ago – in the hotpots of Sydney and Melbourne.

file-20230922-26-sixnn0.png

Michele Bullock expects rents to climb a further 10%. Shutterstock

Reserve Bank Governor Michelle Bullock expects things to get worse before they get better. She says rents are likely to climb by a further 10% in the next six months or so before easing.

None of this need be inevitable. State and territory governments have the power to prevent outsized rent increases and de facto evictions by regulating rents, helping curb the overall rate of inflation in the process.

Research I helped conduct for Shelter NSW and the Tenants Union of NSW finds regulations to prevent excessive rent increases are increasingly common throughout advanced economies including the United States, Canada and much of Europe.

It is often said that rent controls would make things worse for both landlords and tenants by reducing investment in rental properties. But we found that, where designed well, they can help tenants by enhancing security of tenure and improving affordability.

How do rent regulations work?​

There are a wide range of approaches, something that is often overlooked.

Some limit rent increases to a fixed percentage annually, ranging from 2% in Ireland to 10% in California. Some limit rent increases to the rate of inflation, although rising inflation has led many jurisdictions to place ceilings on such caps.

And most don’t regulate the initial rent for a tenancy but instead limit increases thereafter, allowing for “vacancy decontrol”.

So-called first-generation controls freeze rents, second-generation controls allow rents to increase gradually, and third-generation controls only limit rents within tenancies, allowing landlords unfettered increases when leasing to new tenants. This graph illustrates these differences.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.20.44.png
Source: Regulating rents: international examples & experience. Get the data. Created with Datawrapper

As the graph shows, third-generation controls are less about suppressing growth over time than protecting incumbent tenants from exorbitant increases. This means they are less likely to inhibit supply.

Almost all regulations allow for exceptional rent increases when landlords significantly upgrade rental properties or face increased operating costs. This helps to ensure maintenance is not discouraged.

Some regimes even completely exempt newly-built rental properties, either permanently or for several years, which has the downside of leaving a large chunk of the market unregulated.

How could rent regulation help Australian renters?​

We examined five cases of recently introduced rent regulations – in Australia’s ACT, in Ireland, Oregon, Scotland, and St Paul, Minnesota.

Like most of Australia, all had little recent history of rent regulation. Each introduced its controls in the past decade, and all but Ireland in the past five years.

We examined how helpful each of these regulations might have been by comparing each with rent increases in Sydney.

Ireland’s rent cap is the strictest. It limits annual increases to the lesser of 2% or the annual rate of overall inflation annually in a number of designated “rent pressure zones”.

If this cap was in place in Sydney over the past year, a median renter would have saved $1,976. Ireland’s is the only second-generation regime among the five, with the rent cap applying even where tenancies change.

The caps in Scotland and St Paul would have also held down increases in Sydney. Each limits annual increases to 3%, which would have saved the median Sydney renter $1,716 in the past twelve months.

However, Scotland allows exceptional increases to cover maintenance and increased costs of up to 6% and St Paul allows exceptional increases of up to 15% and exempts homes built in the past 20 years. Both “decontrol” between tenancies.

Oregon and the ACT are far more permissive. Oregon prevents rent increases greater than 10% or 7% plus inflation annually (whichever is lower) but excludes homes built in the last 15 years.

The ACT limits increases to 110% of the most recent annual increase in Canberra rents measured by the Australian Bureau of Statistics – a unique model internationally.

Neither would have constrained the median Sydney increase over the past 12 months, although each would have prevented the more excessive increases.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.21.43.png
Source: Regulating rents: international examples & experience. Get the data. Created with Datawrapper

Australia’s recent rent increases have been exceptional.

For most of the past decade, each one of the models examined would have permitted increases in line with or a good deal more than those in Sydney.

While they would have prevented unusually large increases, they would have left most landlords unaffected.

One of the aims of Australia’s latest National Housing and Homelessness Agreement is to encourage “security of tenure in the private rental market”.

Unlimited rent increases undermine security of tenure, building a case for Australia’s states and territories to regulate rents.

The examples we have examined show such regulations needn’t be at odds with efforts to increase supply. They show that while rent regulation is no silver bullet, it can help make renting more affordable and secure.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by , Alistair Sisson, Macquarie University Research Fellow, School of Social Sciences, Macquarie University

Sponsored
I feel any more red tape will only hurt the market, mind you, I don't agree with an essential like housing being an investment medium in the beginning.
That said, if the RBA has an optimum limit on inflation of 2-3%, should that not be the aim of rent increases also, otherwise it adds to blowing that level out of the water? Major renovations or upgrades aside.

Queensland, a few years ago, introduced legislation forcing landlords to accept pets and imposing other requirements and restrictions that led to a lot of landlords selling out. I would not buy a residential investment property in Queensland. No wonder rents went up! With less stock available and investment being less attractive, there is no other outcome. Despite the claims in this article, I fear legislating to control rent increases would have a similar effect. It would make far more sense to focus on increasing housing stock - especially by promoting the construction of more affordable housing.

Recent changes to building regulations requiring wider hallways and doors, double or triple-glazed windows, larger turning circles around toilets and basins, an entry with no steps, etc. are pushing build costs up. Ineffective regulation of the building industry is reducing the number of new builds started and pushing tradies out of the industry, creating shortages. Some commonsense steps to increase housing supply, make it easier for battlers to buy homes, set up rent-to-buy schemes, and return to sensibly structured public housing programs for battlers would be more effective in addressing high rents than bullying landlords and risking more of them selling up. It's always the better landlords, who try to look after tenants, who end up exiting when legislation starts to impact their ability to make a fair profit. I think regulation is nearly always the worst solution. We need to be more creative. Reduced individual freedom is not improving the quality of life in our society. There are better solutions.

Doesn't matter what is brought in to make the policy makers look good.
In the end, the landlords run the show and renters are so desperate they will overlook anything.
It's not a good environment to be starting out and hoping that hard work will get you there. I feel sorry for the younger generation who really want to give things a go.

Doesn't matter what is brought in to make the policymakers look good.
In the end, the landlords run the show and renters are so desperate they will overlook anything.
It's not a good environment to be starting out and hoping that hard work will get you there. I feel sorry for the younger generation who really want to give things a go.
I don't think landlords do run the show. I think many of them struggle with high interest rates, high council rates and water costs, high maintenance costs, heavy repair costs when careless tenants damage property (which happens far too frequently), high insurance costs... I've known landlords to be forced to the edge of financial ruin struggling to evict a non-paying tenant and fighting legislation that is far too tenant-favoured. People think they are raking it in, but in reality most are struggling. For some, it's their livelihood, and it's not the easy ride tenants think. For others, they are hoping to build a nest egg to fund their children's education and/or their own retirement. Some are forced to relocate for work and rent out their home while paying rent themselves. There are rich landlords, and there are greedy ones, but they are a small minority.

I think we need to change the perception that landlords are rich and selfish and the notion that we should be regulating how they run their business, and start to look at WHY rents are high. What drove them up? How can we bring costs down? How can we get more stock in the market and increase competition?

The first and simplest fix is to stop immigration. We have a housing shortage, yet we are bringing in over half a million migrants a year who need more housing. We can't keep up with infrastructure needs. Their spending is driving inflation. It's insane. And until it stops, we haven't a hope of bringing rents down except by putting pressure on landlords who will sell up and shift their money to other investments. We need to reduce regulation, not increase it. As for the young who really want to give it a go... End the stupid building regulations that drive costs up. Push for smaller, simpler housing like our generation settled for - basic 3 bed/1 bath/1 living area simple cottages instead of the grand 4 bed, 2+ bath, 3 living area luxury homes that have become the standard. Encourage more tiny homes, and multiple homes on small acreages. Landlords are NOT the problem, and attacking them won't fix anything.

What would be effective ii for every tower permit a condition that the developer has to build an equivelent affordable homes before contsruction of high cost development, they would scream ruin but give in

What would be effective ii for every tower permit a condition that the developer has to build an equivelent affordable homes before contsruction of high cost development, they would scream ruin but give in
why would private builders have to pay for social housing. This is a Government job. They bring in rules which will keep the average person out of the rental investment then delegate others to foot the bill. In land lease homes where you own your home but rent the land. The costs are set out on the contract you sign. No surprises.

I don't think landlords do run the show. I think many of them struggle with high interest rates, high council rates and water costs, high maintenance costs, heavy repair costs when careless tenants damage property (which happens far too frequently), high insurance costs... I've known landlords to be forced to the edge of financial ruin struggling to evict a non-paying tenant and fighting legislation that is far too tenant-favoured. People think they are raking it in, but in reality most are struggling. For some, it's their livelihood, and it's not the easy ride tenants think. For others, they are hoping to build a nest egg to fund their children's education and/or their own retirement. Some are forced to relocate for work and rent out their home while paying rent themselves. There are rich landlords, and there are greedy ones, but they are a small minority.

I think we need to change the perception that landlords are rich and selfish and the notion that we should be regulating how they run their business, and start to look at WHY rents are high. What drove them up? How can we bring costs down? How can we get more stock in the market and increase competition?

The first and simplest fix is to stop immigration. We have a housing shortage, yet we are bringing in over half a million migrants a year who need more housing. We can't keep up with infrastructure needs. Their spending is driving inflation. It's insane. And until it stops, we haven't a hope of bringing rents down except by putting pressure on landlords who will sell up and shift their money to other investments. We need to reduce regulation, not increase it. As for the young who really want to give it a go... End the stupid building regulations that drive costs up. Push for smaller, simpler housing like our generation settled for - basic 3 bed/1 bath/1 living area simple cottages instead of the grand 4 bed, 2+ bath, 3 living area luxury homes that have become the standard. Encourage more tiny homes, and multiple homes on small acreages. Landlords are NOT the problem, and attacking them won't fix anything.
At last somebody who speaks sense.
I have recently sold my rental property as I am just over the hassle of tenants.
I owned my rental it was in the country town where I live. It was a 3x1
with a renovated bathroom and kitchen and I only charged $300/week and that included $400 off each electricity bill, making the actual rent only $250/week.
I thought I would help this young couple get on their feet but still I had to chase them for the rent. One power bill was $529, and I had to chase them for the balance of $129.
Against my better judgement I allowed them to have a dog, which turned into 2, and then, according to neighbours 3.
When they eventually moved out we had a yard full of three dog's shit to clean up. They had not picked up after them in six months his The dog/s had pissed on the lounge carpet, they were not supposed to be in the house.
This is not my first experience with crap tenants but it will certainly be my last.
I am happier to put my money on a fixed term deposit and get interest.
No hassles, peaceful life.
I don't agree that landlords should be forced to accept pets, that should be their choice, it's their property.
I have three dog's and a cat myself,but I am a responsible pet owner and so many tenants are not.

Reactions: marni
Housing is a basic right and should not become a commodity that is traded like goods. We need a new approach to how we view peoples right to have access to shelter.
So even when you do not contribute your rights impact tax payers rights to health care, roads etc. Which all come out of the same pot. Seems to me we all go on holidays and get everything given to us