Read: Vegan family's outrageous demands in a handwritten note to their meat-cooking neighbour

We all have different preferences when it comes to food. And here at the Seniors Discount Club, we not only understand but also applaud people's commitment to their health and well-being – whatever diet they may choose.

However, not everyone can get on board with other people's eating habits, and this was the case for a woman who was confronted by a vegan family about her meat-cooking ways…

A neighbourhood dispute erupted in Perth’s northern suburbs…over the smell of food.

A letter from a vegan neighbour made its way to a Perth resident, asking them to close their windows when cooking meat to ‘stop the sickening smell’ from spreading.

The handwritten note, which was uploaded on social media, sparked a debate among internet users and questioned whether the request was reasonable.

note1.jpg
A woman received a handwritten note from their vegan neighbour, asking them to close their windows when they cook meat. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

The Burns Beach resident labelled their note as an ‘important message’ and asked the neighbour to ‘please take it seriously’.

The message was shared on social media by the meat-loving resident.

‘Hello, neighbour,’ it began.

‘Could you please shut your side window when cooking, please? My family are vegan (we eat only plant-based food), and the smell of the meat you cook makes us feel sick and upset,’ it read.

‘We would appreciate your understanding.’ The writer also signed their name and their husband’s underneath the message.

The letter drew sharp comments from social media users.

note2.jpg
This is the note that the vegan family sent to their neighbour. Credit: Facebook

One person said: ‘I'd understand if they were smoking cigarettes and the smoke and smell was spreading and affecting the family's health.’

They added that not liking the smell of meat is not a ‘good reason’ to ask someone to close their windows.

‘What does she do when she takes the kids to the park and people are cooking BBQs? Ask them to stop cooking. Audacity,’ they continued.

Another stated that vegans were ‘deluding’ themselves.

‘Disregard the letter, as there is no such thing as a real vegan,’ they commented before adding that all vegetable farming has a massive impact on the land and that it ‘kills thousands’ of small animals.

However, others said that this was a ‘reasonable’ request.

‘I feel like this was a genuinely polite letter, and it’s true the smell of meat is overpowering. It would be nice to see some respect for your neighbours and not publicly try to shame them for holding strong ethical morals,’ one admitted.

Someone else replied: ‘No one has the right to tell you how to live in your own home! Be vegan. Eat meat. Each to their own!’

The same commenter added that ‘no one has the right’ to tell others what to do or push their own views onto other people, or expect to be able to control what they do.

‘If she doesn’t like it, close her own window. Simple,’ they continued.

While someone else said that the letter was ‘definitely polite’ and suggested that the resident could just close their windows. However, this was met with more backlash.

‘Not polite, actually so self-entitled and rude,’ was another reply.

One said: ‘Seafood makes me sick. My neighbours love seafood. It's a “me” problem.’

‘This note is so audacious. The fact that they had to write "please take seriously" makes it even more ridiculous as it seems they understand what a stupid request this is. Why don't they shut their own windows? It's pretty normal to open your window while cooking if you want to get some fresh air in,’ someone explained.

Another offered their opinion on the matter: ‘I kind of understand. Pissed me off living in an apartment with smokers. So, I can understand the effect it has on them. However, this is where you make a decision to either tolerate it or prioritise a place that is suited to you.

While others urged the resident to take matters into their own hands.

‘I’d be cooking up bacon and steak every day and putting a fan behind it and directing it out the window!’ One suggested.

‘Write back and say you're offended and sad by what they said about your cooking and could they please move to a different room as you would appreciate their understanding,’ another offered.

‘Please get a smoker and slow-cook meat all day,’ a third replied.
Key Takeaways
  • A vegan family in Perth, Australia, wrote a note to their neighbour requesting that she close her window when cooking meat due to the smell.
  • The neighbour shared the note on social media, sparking a debate over whether the request was reasonable.
  • Some people supported the vegan family's request as polite, while others found it unreasonable and entitled.
  • Various suggestions were provided to Sarah for her response or actions, including ignoring the request or cooking more meat.
Members, what’s your verdict here? How would you have handled the situation? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: burlighs and Kaylee
Sponsored
We all have different preferences when it comes to food. And here at the Seniors Discount Club, we not only understand but also applaud people's commitment to their health and well-being – whatever diet they may choose.

However, not everyone can get on board with other people's eating habits, and this was the case for a woman who was confronted by a vegan family about her meat-cooking ways…

A neighbourhood dispute erupted in Perth’s northern suburbs…over the smell of food.

A letter from a vegan neighbour made its way to a Perth resident, asking them to close their windows when cooking meat to ‘stop the sickening smell’ from spreading.

The handwritten note, which was uploaded on social media, sparked a debate among internet users and questioned whether the request was reasonable.

View attachment 19401
A woman received a handwritten note from their vegan neighbour, asking them to close their windows when they cook meat. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

The Burns Beach resident labelled their note as an ‘important message’ and asked the neighbour to ‘please take it seriously’.

‘Could you please shut your side window when cooking, please? My family are vegan (we eat only plant-based food), and the smell of the meat you cook makes us feel sick and upset,’ it read.

‘We would appreciate your understanding.’ The writer also signed their name and their husband’s underneath the message.

View attachment 19402
This is the note that the vegan family sent to their neighbour. Credit: Facebook

One person said: ‘I'd understand if they were smoking cigarettes and the smoke and smell was spreading and affecting the family's health.’

They added that not liking the smell of meat is not a ‘good reason’ to ask someone to close their windows.

‘What does she do when she takes the kids to the park and people are cooking BBQs? Ask them to stop cooking. Audacity,’ they continued.

‘Disregard the letter, as there is no such thing as a real vegan,’ they commented before adding that all vegetable farming has a massive impact on the land and that it ‘kills thousands’ of small animals.

‘I feel like this was a genuinely polite letter, and it’s true the smell of meat is overpowering. It would be nice to see some respect for your neighbours and not publicly try to shame them for holding strong ethical morals,’ one admitted.

Someone else replied: ‘No one has the right to tell you how to live in your own home! Be vegan. Eat meat. Each to their own!’

The same commenter added that ‘no one has the right’ to tell others what to do or push their own views onto other people, or expect to be able to control what they do.

While someone else said that the letter was ‘definitely polite’ and suggested that the resident could just close their windows. However, this was met with more backlash.

One said: ‘Seafood makes me sick. My neighbours love seafood. It's a “me” problem.’

‘This note is so audacious. The fact that they had to write "please take seriously" makes it even more ridiculous as it seems they understand what a stupid request this is. Why don't they shut their own windows? It's pretty normal to open your window while cooking if you want to get some fresh air in,’ someone explained.

Another offered their opinion on the matter: ‘I kind of understand. Pissed me off living in an apartment with smokers. So, I can understand the effect it has on them. However, this is where you make a decision to either tolerate it or prioritise a place that is suited to you.

‘I’d be cooking up bacon and steak every day and putting a fan behind it and directing it out the window!’ One suggested.

‘Write back and say you're offended and sad by what they said about your cooking and could they please move to a different room as you would appreciate their understanding,’ another offered.

Key Takeaways

• A vegan family in Perth, Australia, wrote a note to their neighbour requesting that she close her window when cooking meat due to the smell.
  • The neighbour shared the note on social media, sparking a debate over whether the request was reasonable.
  • Some people supported the vegan family's request as polite, while others found it unreasonable and entitled.
  • Various suggestions were provided to Sarah for her response or actions, including ignoring the request or cooking more meat.
Members, what’s your verdict here? How would you have handled the situation? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
I believe they should close their windows if the BBQ upsets them

View attachment 19401

View attachment 19402

Key Takeaways

Some people don't like the smell of meat cooking. Some don't like the smell of other foods, such as curry or garlic. Some don't like the smell of the fertiliser that their neighbours spread on their gardens. And you know what happens when people are offended by smells? Absolutely nothing! They need to get over it and accept that everybody has the right to cook and eat whatever they want. Exposure to smells is one of the consequences of the modern trend of squeezing dwellings into minuscule blocks of land with no space between neighbours.

Closing one's own windows if something is smelling funny, I agree is the go too answer, as is a smoker and a slow cooker. At the end of the day, we all just have to get along.

Like subtly leaving a pack of breath mints on office desk some people don't notice themselves.
There's always an answer to every problem and anger is not the go-to for me at all.
A meal does not take long to prepare and for sure, each neibour will upset the other as time goes on, especially as children do mostly tend to turn into noisy teenagers etc.

I lived a few years ago, between a Malasian-Chinese and an Indian family and the combined spices to me were horrendous. I used to gaff at the odors. So, what I did was I took first one and then the other, a plate of food to introduce myself and they both invited me into their places which was not a place my olfactory senses wanted to go.

However, once the REALLY BAD smelling food was served and I enjoyed it I most definitely did drop a tonne of judgement. It still smelled bad enough to make me move on but not enough to make me say anything unkind.

For sure I would have played music too loud or done something annoying or offensive to them as I was a young Australian male and lived like it. It's just how it is.

My perspective is that we all need to adjust and adapt to those around us, unless someone does something deliberately offensive. Then my true aussie comes out.

I would ignore the letter and if they said anything, I would say there are plenty of other houses you could move if you find a vegan suburb. Being nice does not cut it now-a-days, just be brutal and tell them to move if they dont like it or wait until they convert back to eating meat again and they wont have as many health problems. I have never met a vegan that hasnt converted back to meat, however I have seen a few where they put their childrens health ahead of their lifestyle and these children have serious health issue including being lighter and below the avergae hieght, all because they cant so no.

Last edited:

View attachment 19401

View attachment 19402

Key Takeaways

If the neighbour is asking this of one neighbour, I take it that they ave done the same thing to all other neighbours in the neighbourhood? I doubt it very much, I would respond with I feel as we omnivores who surround you cannot control the wind you seem to have two option's 1/ shut your house up airtight 2/or move to a new location where the local residents don't eat meat, we are not offended by your eating habits so please be aware of all your neighbours who cook and eat meat, those neighbours who have lived in the area longer than you have might take offence at your request.

• Love
Reactions: Sunshine45

View attachment 19401

View attachment 19402

Key Takeaways

The last thing any of us want is a fall out with our neighbours. The note was polite and therefore deserves a polite reply. Tell her that you will shut your window when cooking but on the days that you can't or have forgotten etc, perhaps she could shut hers. Why do people need to make a big deal out of something as trivial as this? Is it worth the risk of having bad relations with what probably are good neighbours? After all, how many hours out of the 24 do you spend cooking meat??

Some people don't like the smell of meat cooking. Some don't like the smell of other foods, such as curry or garlic. Some don't like the smell of the fertiliser that their neighbours spread on their gardens. And you know what happens when people are offended by smells? Absolutely nothing! They need to get over it and accept that everybody has the right to cook and eat whatever they want. Exposure to smells is one of the consequences of the modern trend of squeezing dwellings into minuscule blocks of land with no space between neighbours.
Couldn’t have said that better myself. My sentiments exactly.

Oh dear. I think I'd be doing a roast 3 times a weeks and barbecues the other four nights. The neighbours can close their windows and light a candle if they don't like it.

• Angry
Reactions: 52KID
Here, here

View attachment 19401

View attachment 19402

Key Takeaways

Why don't the vegans shut their windows when the neighbours are cooking meat

Reactions: donandviv77

View attachment 19401

View attachment 19402

Key Takeaways

I saw a wonderful T-shirt a few months ago, with the slogan - “I love vegetarian food; it goes great with steak”. I was about to visit my vegetarian/vegan family, and wished I had such a T-shirt to wear!