Queen Camilla wears historical heirloom for special occasion

Queen Camilla's 77th birthday was a day of regal splendour and historic significance.

Known for her dedication to various charitable causes and unwavering support for King Charles III, Queen Camilla plays a vital role in the monarchy.

As she reaches this significant age, the nation honours her contributions and looks back on her many achievements with admiration and respect.

She donned the Diamond Diadem for the State Opening of Parliament, a moment that seamlessly blended royal tradition with personal celebration.

The Diamond Diadem, steeped in history and adorned with 1,333 diamonds, symbolises the British monarchy's enduring legacy.

The crown features four crosses and floral emblems representing the nations of the United Kingdom.

1721350145721.png
Queen Camilla marked her 77th birthday with the Diamond Diadem at the State Opening of Parliament. Credit: @RoyalFamily / X

It's the same crown that the late Queen Elizabeth II wore during her first opening of parliament in 1953.

Queen Camilla's choice to wear this particular piece on her birthday was a nod to the past and a statement of her role in the present monarchy.

The day was marked with well wishes from across the royal family and the nation.

The Prince and Princess of Wales took to social media to express their heartfelt greetings, posting, 'Wishing Her Majesty a very Happy Birthday!' alongside a charming photo of the Queen.

Buckingham Palace and the royal family's social media accounts joined in the chorus of tributes, sharing images of Queen Camilla from recent engagements, including her visit to the Isle of Guernsey.

In a touching display of affection, schoolchildren from Sark School serenaded the Queen with 'Happy Birthday to You' in Sercquiais, the local dialect.

This unique rendition highlighted the diverse cultural tapestry of the British Isles and the Queen's connection to its people.

Westminster Abbey and the Honourable Artillery Company also honoured Queen Camilla's birthday with traditional fanfare.

‘The Abbey bells are ringing out to celebrate the birthday of HM The Queen,’ they posted.

Despite the festivities, Queen Camilla's birthday was a working day, spent alongside King Charles III as he delivered the King's speech.

The speech, a cornerstone of British parliamentary tradition, is written by the elected government and delivered by the monarch.

This year's State Opening of Parliament was particularly noteworthy as it followed the Labour Party's victory in the general election, ushering in Sir Keir Starmer as the new prime minister and marking a shift in the UK's political landscape.

A two-day official royal tour to the Channel Islands followed the ceremonial occasion.

In related news, King Charles III and Queen Camilla will visit Australia in October 2024 for their autumn tour.

They will attend the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2024 and visit New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. For more details, click here.

Key Takeaways
  • Queen Camilla celebrated her 77th birthday wearing the historic Diamond Diadem at the State Opening of Parliament.
  • The Prince and Princess of Wales posted on social media to wish the queen a happy birthday with a photograph taken by Kate.
  • King Charles III delivered the King's speech at the State Opening of Parliament, marking the formal start of the new parliamentary session and coinciding with Queen Camilla's birthday.
  • Queen Camilla's birthday was honoured with social media posts, a serenade in Sercquiais from schoolchildren, a bell ringing at Westminster Abbey, and gun salutes at the Tower of London.

What does the monarchy's blend of tradition and modernity mean to you? Have you ever celebrated a personal milestone while on duty? Join the conversation and let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
She is just a common Queen Consort and with her past history is not entitled to anything
Queen Elizabeth II designated that when Charles became King, Camilla should be know as Queen Consort. To me she can never be "Queen" but will always be Queen Consort although King Charles asked that she be known as Queen Camilla.

Not discussing the Pope. Fine example the King is & he sits in judgement of his brother & his son?
Isn't that the opposite, from where I sit his son sits in judgement of his father, brother and everyone.
And Andrew, well he doesn't stand mentioning. At least Charles wasn't hanging out with Epstein and molesting under age girls

Isn't that the opposite, from where I sit his son sits in judgement of his father, brother and everyone.
And Andrew, well he doesn't stand mentioning. At least Charles wasn't hanging out with Epstein and molesting under age girls
Sitting in the wrong chair I think. King should be beyond reproach. If his son had a problem he should have sorted like a father should with love & understanding.

What does the monarchy's blend of tradition and modernity mean to you?

Nothing at all!!!

C'mon Veggiepatch, you know it means something to you.

If old and new were blended, then the 'off with his head' events would now, be in the least a good ol chuck him in the stocks and throw some good tucker at him.

So how could you be on the sidelines with blended times seeing nothing eventuate here!

Sitting in the wrong chair I think. King should be beyond reproach. If his son had a problem he should have sorted like a father should with love & understanding.
Nobody, even a King is beyond reproach.
If Harry had problems then perhaps he should have approached his father instead of doing tattle tale interviews and writing nasty books about all and sundry, like a petulant child.
His problems didn't seem to exist before he married his wife, who seems to get on with no-one, including her own family.

M8, Queens consort is it?
Not sure who this sort could con. Well, maybe PPBowles for a kick-off.

So if she is Queen and not Queens Consort, does that mean if Chas moves to the ether, is she still the Queen. It's very confusing, because she's apparently not Queen of England just Queen Camilla of.... Charlie's mind.

And if Willy manages to pass her in the home straight, what about Kate. Hows she going to feel about that Queen thing. I'd still back in Kate, crook as she is to clean up the Lorraine in the consort stakes.

M8, Queens consort is it?
Not sure who this sort could con. Well, maybe PPBowles for a kick-off.

So if she is Queen and not Queens Consort, does that mean if Chas moves to the ether, is she still the Queen. It's very confusing, because she's apparently not Queen of England just Queen Camilla of.... Charlie's mind.

And if Willy manages to pass her in the home straight, what about Kate. Hows she going to feel about that Queen thing. I'd still back in Kate, crook as she is to clean up the Lorraine in the consort stakes.
If Charles was to die and William take the throne,it would be his decision what title Camilla would or wouldn't have
As king surely then Kate would become Queen, which leaves Camilla who knows where
At Williams good graces I should imagine.

If Charles was to die and William take the throne,it would be his decision what title Camilla would or wouldn't have
As king surely then Kate would become Queen, which leaves Camilla who knows where
At Williams good graces I should imagine.

Cheers tibbies for that. With Willy down big time on backup numbers, he might just have to go with 'any port in a storm'.

What you you reckon about Nostradamus's foreboding down on Charlie abdicating and the new head Honcho not having the mark of a king. Suggesting Harry's the one. Geez, that'd set the pulses racing and abundant pearl clutching in Consort city wouldn't it? I can almost hear the collective breath inhaling now.

Queen Meghan. Wow. Still just the Duchess of Sussex maybe. No mention of a black Queen by M de Nostredame 469 years ago. So to me sounds like the interpreters got that bit wrong.

Cheers tibbies for that. With Willy down big time on backup numbers, he might just have to go with 'any port in a storm'.

What you you reckon about Nostradamus's foreboding down on Charlie abdicating and the new head Honcho not having the mark of a king. Suggesting Harry's the one. Geez, that'd set the pulses racing and abundant pearl clutching in Consort city wouldn't it? I can almost hear the collective breath inhaling now.

Queen Meghan. Wow. Still just the Duchess of Sussex maybe. No mention of a black Queen by M de Nostredame 469 years ago. So to me sounds like the interpreters got that bit wrong.
Now that would be a real circus, wonder if we could get tickets.
Can't for the life of me seeing that happen, unless something was to happen to William.

In all Honesty she is a HOME RECKER, AND ADULTERESS, not really fit for any title except slag in my eyes.

In all Honesty she is a HOME RECKER, AND ADULTERESS, not really fit for any title except slag in my eyes.
Don't judge there was faults on all sides .Camilla is a human being worthy of respect.
Do you really think there was ever any home there to wreck. Just two sad people in a sad arranged marriage that should have never happened in the first place.
They are, underneath, just people the same as you and me, a sad, lonely young man being pushed to marry and produce an heir and a very young silly girl living in a dream of marrying her prince charming and living happily ever after. So sad, for both of them.
And the King??? It takes two to tango so they say.
Life is not that simple and even more so when born into such a life.
Millions of people all over the world commit adultery every day, for whatever reason, unbeknown to us. It doesn't make them all bad people.
"Walk a mile in their shoes", before you criticise and abuse.
Who are we to judge .
Diana was also an adulteress, what's the difference. Circumstances.
You have put it all in a nut shell and so well.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Do you really think there was ever any home there to wreck. Just two sad people in a sad arranged marriage that should have never happened in the first place.
They are, underneath, just people the same as you and me, a sad, lonely young man being pushed to marry and produce an heir and a very young silly girl living in a dream of marrying her prince charming and living happily ever after. So sad, for both of them

I'm now believing this is closer to the truth than anything I have seen beforehand.

I still can't help but believe that Charlie could have made a decision, stood his ground and said no, I'm not going to marry Diana. Even if he felt trapped.

Difficult to escape the feeling that his lack of fortitude in standing up for himself also was in a sense a betrayal to his future wife.

My respect for Harry is that on all appearances and by events past, he has stuck up for his wife. Doesn't matter if she is or isnt the big nasty a lot think, he has done the right thing by her. He has looked after her. And maybe he has done that because of what his father did to his mother. Maybe that's why he has taken it to the n'th degree at great cost to his personal life. That makes him a regular straight up human being in my book.

Reactions: Carol
I'm now believing this is closer to the truth than anything I have seen beforehand.

I still can't help but believe that Charlie could have made a decision, stood his ground and said no, I'm not going to marry Diana. Even if he felt trapped.

Difficult to escape the feeling that his lack of fortitude in standing up for himself also was in a sense a betrayal to his future wife.

My respect for Harry is that on all appearances and by events past, he has stuck up for his wife. Doesn't matter if she is or isnt the big nasty a lot think, he has done the right thing by her. He has looked after her. And maybe he has done that because of what his father did to his mother. Maybe that's why he has taken it to the n'th degree at great cost to his personal life. That makes him a regular straight up human being in my book.
You are probably right, as you say he has stood by his wife, as he should, and I guess kudos to him for that.
The Charles and Diana disaster is very sad for both of them.Yes, Charles should have stood up to his parents, but I do think that would have been easier said than done.
Prince Phillip I think came across as disappointed in his son and expected too much of him. He didn't have the same disposition as his father.
The Queen, on the other hand, although an excellent Queen, put her royal duties ahead of her children, which isn't meant as a criticism, that was the way it was back then.
I can still remember the picture of her coming back from many months away and greeting her poor little boy with a hand shake. So cold.
In contrast to Diana as her children ran into her open arms.
I wouldn't have liked to have parents like that . I don't think Anne received much better either.
Andrew on the other hand was the favourite and look how that turned out.
Poor Edward, it's been like he didn't exist, probably lucky for him he seems the most sensible together person of the lot of them.
Pity a middle path hadn't been found for them all.At the end of the day who would want to be any of them, certainly not me.

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
Queen Elizabeth II designated that when Charles became King, Camilla should be know as Queen Consort. To me she can never be "Queen" but will always be Queen Consort although King Charles asked that she be known as Queen Camilla.
Queen Elizabeth would have known that you can't dictate to people from the grave
Like leaving an inheritance to someone and then dictating what they can do with it.
She may have wished this but the King can do as he wishes and he wished her to be Queen Camilla and she was crowned thus.
Whether, to you, she will never be Queen is irrelevant, she is.

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock