Pumpkin Shock: How the dwindling supply is going to hit your wallet HARD!

As the leaves turn golden and the air chills, Australians across the country look forward to the comfort of hearty stews and the festive glow of jack-o'-lanterns. But this year, the humble pumpkin, a beloved staple in our kitchens, is at the heart of a supply and pricing conundrum that's set to make a dent in the wallets of shoppers.

In South Australia, a region known for its robust agriculture, pumpkin growers are facing a paradoxical situation. Despite the cost of production dropping to as low as 60 cents a kilogram, the price of pumpkins on supermarket shelves has soared to around $4 per kilogram. This price hike is leaving many consumers bewildered and budget-conscious seniors feeling the pinch.

compressed-pexels-pumpkins.jpeg
South Australian farmers are facing a shortage in pumpkin production due to multiple factors. Image Credit: Pexels/James Wheeler

The reason behind this price surge is multifaceted. On one hand, South Australian farmers, grappling with low prices for red wine grapes due to a global oversupply, have turned to pumpkins as a quick 'cash crop.' This shift was expected to bring good returns, but the reality has been less than fruitful for growers like Steve Brauer, who has seen his returns plummet as more farmers flood the market with their pumpkin harvests.

'The market is way oversupplied this year,' Mr. Brauer lamented. 'Last year wasn't good, but I still got 80 cents [a kilogram]. This year for most of the season [I got paid] 60 cents [per kilogram]. It's nearly 40 cents before you can actually make a return because you've got to cover the cost of fertiliser, water, and electricity.'

While South Australia's Riverland is dotted with pumpkins among the vineyards and roadside stalls, the nation's largest pumpkin production still resides in Queensland, accounting for almost half of the crop. Yet, even with an increase in local production, the supply has been patchy, and the impact of flooding and heavy rain on the east coast has further strained availability.

Supermarkets like Woolworths and Coles have cited these adverse weather conditions as the primary reason for the reduced supply and subsequent price increase. A Woolworths spokesperson acknowledged 'higher than usual demand' for varieties such as butternut and Kent pumpkins, while Coles pointed to seasonal growing conditions affecting availability.

For consumers, this means digging deeper into their pockets for a vegetable that is often a key ingredient in their meals. The situation is particularly tough for seniors on fixed incomes, who may have to reconsider their grocery lists or find alternative ingredients to substitute for pumpkin.

But it's not all doom and gloom. The versatility and durability of pumpkins offer a silver lining. Kevin Myers, who runs the Murray River Giant Pumpkin and Sunflower Competition, notes that butternuts are not only the most forgiving and tastiest variety but also a true 'cash crop.'

'If you store them properly, they'll last quite a few months,' Mr. Myers explained. 'So instead of everybody sending them off at one time and making the price crash, they can be slowly fed to the market.'

This storage capability means that savvy shoppers can buy pumpkins when prices are lower and keep them for extended periods, ensuring a steady supply for their favorite recipes.

As we navigate this patchy pumpkin supply, it's essential to stay informed about market trends and to explore alternative sources, such as local farmers' markets or community-supported agriculture, where prices may be more stable and the produce fresher.
Key Takeaways

• South Australian pumpkin growers are facing low prices for their produce due to a surplus in pumpkins, with some being paid as little as 60 cents per kilogram.
  • The cost of purchasing pumpkins in big supermarkets has risen to about $4 per kilogram, influenced by flooding and heavy rain on the east coast affecting supply.
  • Despite more SA farmers planting pumpkins, consumers are not benefiting from the lower grower prices, experiencing higher prices at checkout instead.
  • While wholesale prices have remained relatively stable, retail prices have increased, and supermarkets are reporting higher than usual demand for pumpkins and are paying suppliers more than last winter.
Members, have you noticed the rising cost of pumpkins at your local supermarket? How are you adapting your shopping habits or recipes in light of these changes? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below – your insights could be a great help to fellow readers trying to manage their budgets during these fluctuating times.

Sponsored
I have never, in my 65 years, bought a pumpkin or sweet potato. So called food for heathens!

My Mum tried to feed me pumpkin as a kid. Firstly, in pieces, usually roasted. Next stop was mashed and finally she attempted to give it to me disguised with mashed potato. I went to the extent of leaving the dining table with my mouth full of the crap and spitting into the toilet.

One of the most bitter tasting "foods" I have ever tasted. Not even fit for chooks or pigs!

Reactions: IAN3005 and Iggydi
I have never, in my 65 years, bought a pumpkin or sweet potato. So called food for heathens!

My Mum tried to feed me pumpkin as a kid. Firstly, in pieces, usually roasted. Next stop was mashed and finally she attempted to give it to me disguised with mashed potato. I went to the extent of leaving the dining table with my mouth full of the crap and spitting into the toilet.

One of the most bitter tasting "foods" I have ever tasted. Not even fit for chooks or pigs!
It can be turned into a useful soup if you add butter, grated cheese and milk, but I never could see the justification for spoiling one's butter, milk and cheese. In my good old days of UK school lunches the cooks used to add swede to an otherwise decent beef stew; I think it was in the days of post-WW2 rationing, but we did get 1/3rd pint of milk with the cream on top every morning.

Oddly enough sweet potato is far more nutritious than spuds, but that is also an acquired taste. Semolina pudding, anyone?

It can be turned into a useful soup if you add butter, grated cheese and milk, but I never could see the justification for spoiling one's butter, milk and cheese. In my good old days of UK school lunches the cooks used to add swede to an otherwise decent beef stew; I think it was in the days of post-WW2 rationing, but we did get 1/3rd pint of milk with the cream on top every morning.

Oddly enough sweet potato is far more nutritious than spuds, but that is also an acquired taste. Semolina pudding, anyone?
The bolded in your first sentence is soooo true!

Semolina pudding? Is that akin to soaking shredded cardboard in hot water and a smidgen of sugar with a thimble full of milk? Sounds as appetising as road base! Semolina pasta is the pits....give me durum wheat pasta every day of the week! Well...would you believe five days out of seven? 😁

Reactions: Iggydi
That bolding was self-inflicted by the text; I didn't do it. See; MS Word objects to spoiling butter milk and cheese by inserting them into pumpkin soup!

Semolina pudding reminds me of frogs' spawn in boiled milk. I gather it is the same stuff as tapioca which is a staple of the diet in Sepik Povince PNG. First cut down your tapioca tree; then extract the tapioca from the tree's core, then wash it in running water for 24 hours, then dry it. Then boil it and turn it into lumps that can be eaten. Sweet potato is better, and more easy to grow.

That bolding was self-inflicted by the text; I didn't do it. See; MS Word objects to spoiling butter milk and cheese by inserting them into pumpkin soup!

Semolina pudding reminds me of frogs' spawn in boiled milk. I gather it is the same stuff as tapioca which is a staple of the diet in Sepik Povince PNG. First cut down your tapioca tree; then extract the tapioca from the tree's core, then wash it in running water for 24 hours, then dry it. Then boil it and turn it into lumps that can be eaten. Sweet potato is better, and more easy to grow.
@Rob44 sorry but the bolding was my doing for the sake of emphasis. My apologies!

Reactions: Iggydi
I just luv roasted pumpkin with the skin on. Gives them extra flavour. Prob is, I havn't bought any for yonks.

When we buy a large roast dinner each at one special club we go to for the Sunday roast lunch, U get 2 good size slices. It's usually the Kent variety. The better half takes half of her serving home for dinner the next night. None left over from my plate. I'm a "Greedy Hungry" bugger. I luv & thrive on good tucker.

Reactions: Littleboy8