Protect your private information and money from sneaky anti-virus scammers - here's what you need to know

Online scams are a real danger, and we here at the Seniors Discount Club know it all too well. Phishing emails, fake online stores – you name it, we’ve seen it. But one of the most challenging things to deal with while navigating the web is spotting the scams that are targeted specifically at you.

We’ve received several reports from our members that they have received emails from what seemed to be the anti-virus company ‘Norton’. However, it was later discovered that they were part of a scammer’s plot. Shocking, isn’t it?

Member Cherie James shared: 'I just wanted to let you know that there are some other scammers about. We got an email looking to be from NORTON with an attachment of an invoice, saying thanks for an amount of $499.99 of an annual subscription that will be taken out of our account.'

She also revealed that she received a similar email purportedly from the McAfee anti-virus company.

pexels-photo-5697256.jpeg

SDC members report the suspicious emails they received from accounts that posed as the anti-virus company Norton. Credit: Pexels/Anna Tarazevich.

Meanwhile, another member notified the SDC of an email from an account posing as a Norton representative and informing her of the necessity to 'update her profile' through a suspicious link if she wanted her account to be 'more secure', adding that she found the entire ordeal laughable.

Member Margit Levay wrote: 'I received an email today from Norton LifeLock Australia Pty Ltd (which seems to be quite real) saying that if I keep my profile up to date, they can do a more extensive job monitoring for suspicious activities and threats against me.'

'I found it laughable that they want me to update my profile with. Needless to say, I did not respond, did not update and now deleted the email.'

As if that was not bad enough, the scammer's emails also featured a contact number that had been designed to look official but was actually traced back to Hawaii.

Norton was quick to take action, issuing a public statement in which they warned their users about this scam.

According to the anti-virus, the scheme behind this is as follows: once a garbled invoice is received, the scammer phones the target and informs them that they will be penalised within 24 hours if they fail to call the number connected to the invoice or email them back.

norton_logo.png

Norton informed their customers about the scam, warning them not to click any suspicious links from the emails. Credit: Norton.

Usually, the scammers leave a number that is unusable on purpose to make the situation more stressful for the victim. If the number still works (which is highly unlikely given that scammers usually have trouble keeping their operations running), the target calls back and can prevent the transaction by providing information of various kinds.

Norton has also confirmed that if you receive an unexpected email, and you don't subscribe to an anti-virus service (or Norton specifically), you should discard it right away.

You should also notify the company through its official customer service assistance form if you receive an email from Norton that you weren't expecting.

Key Takeaways

• Be aware of the latest anti-virus scams targeting those who subscribe to official anti-virus companies.
  • Be mindful of any emails received from anti-virus companies asking for any sort of personal information such as bank account numbers, driver's licence numbers, credit card numbers, and email addresses.
  • If you believe the email may be a scam, contact the customer service hotline of the anti-virus company to confirm its authenticity.
  • If you are unsure or don’t subscribe to an anti-virus service, simply delete the email.

Scammers impersonating anti-virus companies is one of the more sophisticated online scams out there. By posing as representatives of well-known companies like Norton or McAfee, they are able to gain the trust of their victims and convince them to provide sensitive personal information.

If you receive an unsolicited email or text message from a supposed anti-virus company, you should disregard it immediately.

Stay safe, folks! Know anything else about this scam? Share it with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I have received 1 purporting to be from McFee with a Gmail email address - I rang them to see, hung up & then received 4 calls from the same number until I blocked them. They wanted to access my computer to "Fix", had a look outside no rain so I decided I had NOT come down in the last shower, - haven't heard from them since!

Online scams are a real danger, and we here at the Seniors Discount Club know it all too well. Phishing emails, fake online stores – you name it, we’ve seen it. But one of the most challenging things to deal with while navigating the web is spotting the scams that are targeted specifically at you.

We’ve received several reports from our members that they have received emails from what seemed to be the anti-virus company ‘Norton’. However, it was later discovered that they were part of a scammer’s plot. Shocking, isn’t it?

Member Cherie James shared: 'I just wanted to let you know that there are some other scammers about. We got an email looking to be from NORTON with an attachment of an invoice, saying thanks for an amount of $499.99 of an annual subscription that will be taken out of our account.'

She also revealed that she received a similar email purportedly from the McAfee anti-virus company.

SDC members report the suspicious emails they received from accounts that posed as the anti-virus company Norton. Credit: Pexels/Anna Tarazevich.

Meanwhile, another member notified the SDC of an email from an account posing as a Norton representative and informing her of the necessity to 'update her profile' through a suspicious link if she wanted her account to be 'more secure', adding that she found the entire ordeal laughable.

Member Margit Levay wrote: 'I received an email today from Norton LifeLock Australia Pty Ltd (which seems to be quite real) saying that if I keep my profile up to date, they can do a more extensive job monitoring for suspicious activities and threats against me.'

'I found it laughable that they want me to update my profile with. Needless to say, I did not respond, did not update and now deleted the email.'

As if that was not bad enough, the scammer's emails also featured a contact number that had been designed to look official but was actually traced back to Hawaii.

Norton was quick to take action, issuing a public statement in which they warned their users about this scam.

According to the anti-virus, the scheme behind this is as follows: once a garbled invoice is received, the scammer phones the target and informs them that they will be penalised within 24 hours if they fail to call the number connected to the invoice or email them back.

norton_logo.png

Norton informed their customers about the scam, warning them not to click any suspicious links from the emails. Credit: Norton.

Usually, the scammers leave a number that is unusable on purpose to make the situation more stressful for the victim. If the number still works (which is highly unlikely given that scammers usually have trouble keeping their operations running), the target calls back and can prevent the transaction by providing information of various kinds.

Norton has also confirmed that if you receive an unexpected email, and you don't subscribe to an anti-virus service (or Norton specifically), you should discard it right away.

You should also notify the company through its official customer service assistance form if you receive an email from Norton that you weren't expecting.

Key Takeaways

• Be aware of the latest anti-virus scams targeting those who subscribe to official anti-virus companies.
  • Be mindful of any emails received from anti-virus companies asking for any sort of personal information such as bank account numbers, driver's licence numbers, credit card numbers, and email addresses.
  • If you believe the email may be a scam, contact the customer service hotline of the anti-virus company to confirm its authenticity.
  • If you are unsure or don’t subscribe to an anti-virus service, simply delete the email.

Scammers impersonating anti-virus companies is one of the more sophisticated online scams out there. By posing as representatives of well-known companies like Norton or McAfee, they are able to gain the trust of their victims and convince them to provide sensitive personal information.

If you receive an unsolicited email or text message from a supposed anti-virus company, you should disregard it immediately.

Stay safe, folks! Know anything else about this scam? Share it with us in the comments!
Very sneaky as Bullguard subscribers will attest. Norton have taken over Bullguard some months ago. We were advised by email that the transfer to Norton would be automatic and we didn't need to do anything. The transition seems to have occurred without a problem.

I gave up using branded anti virus on my latop and desktop computers many years ago. I then used a very good free brand, but now just use whatever Windows 10 has.

Never had a problem in 20+ years and the scare tactics the anti virus companies use are worse then anything that would happen.

I get these emails all the time, but not the phone calls. Well they might have tried cos if I don’t know the number I don’t answer. I figure if it’s a real call they will leave a message. I always double check my bank account when I get one of the emails to make sure they haven’t managed to hack me.

norton_logo.png

Key Takeaways

For months I’ve had multiple Norton and McAfee supposed renewal emails and reported them all to scamwatch.

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
I'm yet to receive those emails. I get other silly ones though.
Australia Post from email address shreedhihospital.com
Aus Gov from email address salesforce.com
Fed Ex from email address antique-quilt.com
Teams that has a microsoft logo from email address crowdconnect-tickets
As if I would take these email seriously ... NOT.
At present, we have Bitdefender antivirus, but will be changing soon.

Reactions: Ricci

norton_logo.png

Key Takeaways

I was always getting those type of emails, I just marked them spam and thats the folder where they went. now I can block them as well thanks to ProtonMail.com

Reactions: Ricci

norton_logo.png

Key Takeaways

I've received both of these scams. I only do Free, so I knew they were scams. I forwarded the emails to Norton & McAfee.

Reactions: zevon1956 and Ricci