Protect Your Pocket: Stay Alert to This New Scratchie Scam!

Free money—isn't that a dream we all share? Perhaps you've imagined finding a treasure chest while digging around in your backyard, or even winning the lottery with a ticket you found lying on your coffee table.

It's a lovely thought, isn't it?

However, as life taught us, when 'blessings' happen too easily, they are often too good to be true.

There’s a never ending tide of scams plaguing Aussies,, and one scam that has recently been causing concern is the deceptive 'Scratchie Scam'.

compressed-scratchie.jpeg
Scams involving counterfeit scratch cards prey on people's desire for unexpected winnings, enticing them with the promise of substantial prizes that do not exist. Image by emilianovittoriosi from unsplash

At first glance, it may seem like an innocent arcade game, but unfortunately, it is anything but child's play.

Scammers have taken the audacity to mail out counterfeit scratchie cards, deceiving recipients into believing they have won a substantial prize.

These fraudsters exploit aspirations for unexpected wealth. Regrettably, there is no pot of gold awaiting at the end of this rainbow.

Aussies are being duped and left with nothing but scratch cards filled with false hope.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch has been quick to issue warnings. 'Don't be fooled, these scams prey on your desire to win but then ask you to pay entry/exit fees or taxes.'

'Spoiler alert! There are no winnings, and you'll never get the “prize” or your money back,' as Scamwatch puts it.

What's even more concerning is that scammers may also attempt to manipulate you into giving out your financial or identity details.

compressed-jackpot.jpeg
These fraudulent schemes often manipulate victims into paying fees or providing personal information, resulting in financial losses and potential identity theft. Image by introspectivedsgn from unsplash

Let's talk about numbers for a moment. While Scamwatch is no longer keeping track of this particular scam, early data reveals that Aussies lost over $14,500 to these scams in 2021.

The figure for 2020, when COVID shuttered the world? An eye-watering $243,000.

So what's the best line of defence against such slippery scams?

Scamwatch advises: 'Stop, think, and check'. Staying aware and cautious is the most robust shield against such threats.

They added, ‘Offers of free money are too good to be true and are likely scams.’

‘Don’t pay a fee to collect winnings or a prize. Legitimate lotteries don’t ask you to do this.’

Key Takeaways

• The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch has warned about fake scratchies appearing in people’s mailboxes.
  • The fake scratchies are a tactic used by scammers to steal money and personal information from recipients.
  • Historical data reveals Aussies lost more than $14,500 to such scams in 2021, with the figure reaching $243,000 in 2020.
  • Scamwatch advises Australians to be wary of offers of free money, and never to pay a fee to collect winnings or a prize, as legitimate lotteries do not ask this.

You can also protect yourself by doing the following:
  1. Refrain from sharing financial or identity information with individuals they are unfamiliar with or do not trust.
  2. Verify the legitimacy of an offer by contacting their bank, legal service, or seeking advice from a trusted friend or family member.
  3. Conduct an internet search using the name and contact details provided to check for any indications of a scam.
  4. Exercise caution when receiving messages from friends or family members outside of social media platforms and double-check the authenticity of such messages.

Members, have you or someone you know ever encountered a scam similar to the 'Scratchie Scam'? How do you stay alert and protect yourself from such fraudulent schemes?

Share your experiences and any tips you have for identifying and avoiding scams.

Sponsored
Free money—isn't that a dream we all share? Perhaps you've imagined finding a treasure chest while digging around in your backyard, or even winning the lottery with a ticket you found lying on your coffee table.

However, as life taught us, when 'blessings' happen too easily, they are often too good to be true.

There’s a never ending tide of scams plaguing Aussies,, and one scam that has recently been causing concern is the deceptive 'Scratchie Scam'.

View attachment 25559
Scams involving counterfeit scratch cards prey on people's desire for unexpected winnings, enticing them with the promise of substantial prizes that do not exist. Image by emilianovittoriosi from unsplash

At first glance, it may seem like an innocent arcade game, but unfortunately, it is anything but child's play.

Scammers have taken the audacity to mail out counterfeit scratchie cards, deceiving recipients into believing they have won a substantial prize.

These fraudsters exploit aspirations for unexpected wealth. Regrettably, there is no pot of gold awaiting at the end of this rainbow.

Aussies are being duped and left with nothing but scratch cards filled with false hope.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch has been quick to issue warnings. 'Don't be fooled, these scams prey on your desire to win but then ask you to pay entry/exit fees or taxes.'

'Spoiler alert! There are no winnings, and you'll never get the “prize” or your money back,' as Scamwatch puts it.

What's even more concerning is that scammers may also attempt to manipulate you into giving out your financial or identity details.

View attachment 25560
These fraudulent schemes often manipulate victims into paying fees or providing personal information, resulting in financial losses and potential identity theft. Image by introspectivedsgn from unsplash

Let's talk about numbers for a moment. While Scamwatch is no longer keeping track of this particular scam, early data reveals that Aussies lost over $14,500 to these scams in 2021.

Scamwatch advises: 'Stop, think, and check'. Staying aware and cautious is the most robust shield against such threats.

They added, ‘Offers of free money are too good to be true and are likely scams.’

‘Don’t pay a fee to collect winnings or a prize. Legitimate lotteries don’t ask you to do this.’

Key Takeaways

• The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch has warned about fake scratchies appearing in people’s mailboxes.
  • The fake scratchies are a tactic used by scammers to steal money and personal information from recipients.
  • Historical data reveals Aussies lost more than $14,500 to such scams in 2021, with the figure reaching $243,000 in 2020.
  • Scamwatch advises Australians to be wary of offers of free money, and never to pay a fee to collect winnings or a prize, as legitimate lotteries do not ask this.

1. Refrain from sharing financial or identity information with individuals they are unfamiliar with or do not trust.
  2. Verify the legitimacy of an offer by contacting their bank, legal service, or seeking advice from a trusted friend or family member.
  3. Conduct an internet search using the name and contact details provided to check for any indications of a scam.
  4. Exercise caution when receiving messages from friends or family members outside of social media platforms and double-check the authenticity of such messages.

Members, have you or someone you know ever encountered a scam similar to the 'Scratchie Scam'? How do you stay alert and protect yourself from such fraudulent schemes?

Share your experiences and any tips you have for identifying and avoiding scams.
Have not come across this one but sadly have to confess to being conned by the following sites... Ravesparty.com & Popsandys. They are both the same and l have even lost $200 to them believing they were legit. Even had tracking site to string you along. You guessed it, nothing turned up . Feel very stupid.
Now we have had to cancel my debit card and get a new one. I had recieved my orders from other sites. So l thought l was okay.
First you must check if the company is legit. Simply Google it. You will see a list of scam alert sites that will check them, they are the experts.
Motto of my sad tale is don't trust anyone😤😤😤

The usual culprits are still popping up like myGov but a new one is an email from Jetstar confirming flights. The email looks very authentic. Correct names and no spelling or grammatical errors so it's hard to know if it's real. My only clue was that I haven't booked any flights with Jetstar and quite frankly, Jetstar would not be my preferred airline.

Does anybody else out there miss "The Good Old Days" of the Nigerian Scammer?
I had this little gem turn up in my mailbox this morning.... looks like word travels slowly across sub-Saharan Africa:

Attachments

• NotNigerianScammersAnymore!.png
    NotNigerianScammersAnymore!.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
  • UgandaScammerDHL.png
    UgandaScammerDHL.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 25559

View attachment 25560

Key Takeaways

I just responded to a fun thing on my FB feed. She asked for names ending in the letters SON. I responded with a few and she contacted me and asked how would I spend $2,500. So I gave some answer. Then she asked if I have What's App and I said no. Then PayPal, I said yes. Then she asked for a $50 fee for duties and taxes. I said take it out of the prize money. She said it doesn't work like that. If I send the $50/I will then receive the $2,500 in my PayPal account. I blocked her! Then I went back to original post and saw she was asking everyone to contact her! I reported to Facebook and also the Messenger contact! I told her I wasn't that gullible!!

Reactions: Gsr
One of my sisters received a letter saying Express post on the envelope [e and inside was a scratchie and the message was she had one a holiday supposedly it came from Malaysia. I told her just bin it. another scam.
I also have had emails this week offering me embroidery designs for a very cheap price from purportedly a well-known company in New Zealand that I have bought from before. But this time I knew it was a scam as the sender was a most unusual name if you could call it a name with not only letters but symbols. I reported it to the company. We just have to be on the watch for anything we have not asked for and even looked at online.
I do embroidery and have done for years on my machines

On and on it goes, hopefully no one gets caught up in these scams. Cant trust anybody these days.