Prepare for a shock! Some Aussies are experiencing a massive 83% surge in power bills

Keeping a close eye on our energy consumption and bills is a critical part of managing our finances and household budget. However, recent reports show that Aussie seniors are in for quite a shock as some power bills are expected to rise by up to a staggering 83 per cent. Before you dust off your candles and settle in for the long haul, let's take a closer look at why this is happening and how you can save on energy costs.

Judy Saunders, an AGL customer from Ashfield in Sydney's Inner West, was left stunned when she received an email from her power company informing her of a new electricity rate she would be charged from July 1.

'It was 51 per cent more than what I'm paying now - I just couldn't believe it,' she told reporters.

shutterstock_691881178 (1).jpg
Power prices are increasing substantially. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Judy had been on a single-rate plan for the previous 12 months after her family moved back into their newly renovated home. Unfortunately, the seemingly cheap rate she enjoyed might have been too good to last. From July, her electricity rates will surge from 16.5 cents per kilowatt hour to 24.98. A credit of 5 cents per kilowatt hour will be given for unused solar energy sent back to the grid.

‘As the cost of living went up, I started shopping around, and every time I went to one of those comparison websites, the usual response was you are getting it better than anywhere else, stick with what you have got.’ she explained.

‘So that's what I did, but now obviously all my good luck has run out.’

When Judy shared her story on a community Facebook page, she discovered she wasn't alone in being affected by the price hike. A fellow Sydneysider, Ashlah, revealed her rates with power company Alinta would be 56 per cent higher from July 1.

'My last bill was $595, these new rates would make the same bill cost me $900. It's insane,' she wrote.

‘They called me today too! To tell me how they are going to offer me a special deal, I compared the rates they are quoting me versus what I'm paying now and it's 38 per cent more, it's like: sorry I'll pass on your special deal!’ another AGL customer commented.

However, the worst seems to be the AGL customer who received a shocking 83 per cent hike to his power rates.

Screen Shot 2023-06-21 at 11.56.14 am.png
Will Turner received an 83 per cent bill increase. Image Credit: LinkedIn/Will Turner

So, why are our power bills skyrocketing? Last month, the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) confirmed electricity prices will increase between 20 and 25 per cent from July 1 for about 600,000 customers.

This decision primarily impacts those in NSW, south-east Queensland, and South Australia on the default market offer (DMO) over the coming financial year.

AER chair Clare Savage acknowledged the need to balance cost-of-living pressures with retailers' reasonable cost recovery, stating that 'it's important the DMO provides a safety net for those who might not have shopped around for a better power deal’.

For customers in NSW, AGL variable rate customers can expect increases starting at 29.7 per cent (about $540 per year).

In response to Judy's complaint, AGL cited 'significant rises in wholesale energy costs in Australia' as a reason for the increase. A spokesperson mentioned their understanding of the pressure higher energy prices put on households and businesses amidst the broader cost of living pressures in Australia.

They added, 'Our decision to increase prices for our market contract customers is based on a detailed consideration of a range of factors including wholesale prices, network charges, retail operating costs, customer affordability, and the value we offer to our customers.'

IMG_2635 (1).jpg
Even SDC team member April received a price hike. Credit: SDC (supplied)

Now, let's discuss some energy-saving tips for seniors to reduce their overall energy consumption and save money on their bills:

1. Use energy-efficient appliances and make the most of natural light and ventilation in your home.
2. Switch off appliances at the power point when not in use or consider investing in a standby power controller to automatically turn off devices in standby mode.
3. Set your heating or air conditioning to a comfortable yet energy-efficient temperature and consider using fans before resorting to air conditioning.
4. Install or upgrade insulation in your home to help maintain a comfortable indoor temperature without overworking your heating or cooling systems.
5. Time your energy usage during off-peak hours, especially for energy-intensive tasks like washing clothes and using the dishwasher.

In addition to energy-saving tips, seniors should also be aware of any available discounts, rebates, or government programs. For instance, the Australian Government offers the Energy Supplement, which provides financial assistance to help eligible Australians meet energy costs. State governments also offer various concessions and rebates, so contact your energy company or state government to check which benefits you may be eligible for.

Key Takeaways
  • Aussie customers have been left in shock after being informed of massive hikes to their electricity rates next month, with some facing increases of up to 83 per cent.
  • AGL customer Judy Saunders, from Ashfield in Sydney's Inner West, said she was stunned when she received an email from the power company informing her of the new electricity rates she would be charged from July 1.
  • The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) confirmed last month that electricity prices will increase between 20 and 25 per cent from July 1 for about 600,000 customers.
  • AER chair Clare Savage said that the regulator had to balance the cost-of-living pressures customers faced with the need for retailers to recover reasonable costs.

Judy's family has taken steps towards smart electricity usage by running the washing machine and the tumble dryer during the day and using the solar power they are producing.

We encourage our members to stay well-informed and proactive in reducing energy consumption and seeking better rates in the market when possible. Together, let's work towards a more budget-friendly, energy-efficient future.

Have you received an updated bill? Let us know in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Welcome to Australia people my age can remember when we would say we are the lucky country, well now we say not so lucky thanks to our federal Government who sold off our power rights, Electricity, Gas even our road works etc we have gone from having the best in the world to just about the worst, we had the best maintained electricity system in the world it got privatized by the federal government of the time now we have the worst maintained system in the world, we have the highest cost of power and gas in the world, the OVERSEAS COMPANIES from ? most can guess who are making a fortune from us and they pay way less for our gas and that includes shipping it half way around the world
It is the greed of our federal Governments that sold off the rights to BIG INVERSTERS who could not give a rats ass about us then they wasted the money who knows where hell our gas over sea's is half the cost of what we pay and the consortium of companies that own our electricity rights well our power in there countries is less than half of what we are paying
Elbows our new federal government just recently was saying we need to go all electric and get rid of our gas fossil fuel and now he has give the over sea's companies the right to charge us 25% price increase for our electricity this country is not so lucky and our government have sold us up the river and now we get stitched up by them and they really could not give a rats continental about us we need a government with something between there legs that will stand up and do something
If solar electricity is so good the federal government should be putting it on all buildings at there own cost not charging us for the solar system they should do this and call it improving our infrastructure for all people

Last edited:
This is a major concern how are people going to afford this.
With the cost of groceries always rising, interest rates going up, rents going up all I can say is I'm glad I gave paid of my home.

My daughter was telling me last night how she is cancelling her health insurance as it's just gone up and she needs to cut back with her mortgage going up

This is not good news. A lot of people are struggling now. Very disappointed in our government who pledged to lower electricity and cost of living in their election campaign. They just say things to get elected and then there is no accountability to have to follow through.

Keeping a close eye on our energy consumption and bills is a critical part of managing our finances and household budget. However, recent reports show that Aussie seniors are in for quite a shock as some power bills are expected to rise by up to a staggering 83 per cent. Before you dust off your candles and settle in for the long haul, let's take a closer look at why this is happening and how you can save on energy costs.

Judy Saunders, an AGL customer from Ashfield in Sydney's Inner West, was left stunned when she received an email from her power company informing her of a new electricity rate she would be charged from July 1.

'It was 51 per cent more than what I'm paying now - I just couldn't believe it,' she told reporters.

View attachment 22886

Judy had been on a single-rate plan for the previous 12 months after her family moved back into their newly renovated home. Unfortunately, the seemingly cheap rate she enjoyed might have been too good to last. From July, her electricity rates will surge from 16.5 cents per kilowatt hour to 24.98. A credit of 5 cents per kilowatt hour will be given for unused solar energy sent back to the grid.

‘As the cost of living went up, I started shopping around, and every time I went to one of those comparison websites, the usual response was you are getting it better than anywhere else, stick with what you have got.’ she explained.

When Judy shared her story on a community Facebook page, she discovered she wasn't alone in being affected by the price hike. A fellow Sydneysider, Ashlah, revealed her rates with power company Alinta would be 56 per cent higher from July 1.

'My last bill was $595, these new rates would make the same bill cost me $900. It's insane,' she wrote.

‘They called me today too! To tell me how they are going to offer me a special deal, I compared the rates they are quoting me versus what I'm paying now and it's 38 per cent more, it's like: sorry I'll pass on your special deal!’ another AGL customer commented.

However, the worst seems to be the AGL customer who received a shocking 83 per cent hike to his power rates.

View attachment 22888
Will Turner received an 83 per cent bill increase. Image Credit: LinkedIn/Will Turner

So, why are our power bills skyrocketing? Last month, the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) confirmed electricity prices will increase between 20 and 25 per cent from July 1 for about 600,000 customers.

This decision primarily impacts those in NSW, south-east Queensland, and South Australia on the default market offer (DMO) over the coming financial year.

AER chair Clare Savage acknowledged the need to balance cost-of-living pressures with retailers' reasonable cost recovery, stating that 'it's important the DMO provides a safety net for those who might not have shopped around for a better power deal’.

For customers in NSW, AGL variable rate customers can expect increases starting at 29.7 per cent (about $540 per year).

In response to Judy's complaint, AGL cited 'significant rises in wholesale energy costs in Australia' as a reason for the increase. A spokesperson mentioned their understanding of the pressure higher energy prices put on households and businesses amidst the broader cost of living pressures in Australia.

They added, 'Our decision to increase prices for our market contract customers is based on a detailed consideration of a range of factors including wholesale prices, network charges, retail operating costs, customer affordability, and the value we offer to our customers.'

View attachment 22887

Now, let's discuss some energy-saving tips for seniors to reduce their overall energy consumption and save money on their bills:

1. Use energy-efficient appliances and make the most of natural light and ventilation in your home.
2. Switch off appliances at the power point when not in use or consider investing in a standby power controller to automatically turn off devices in standby mode.
3. Set your heating or air conditioning to a comfortable yet energy-efficient temperature and consider using fans before resorting to air conditioning.
4. Install or upgrade insulation in your home to help maintain a comfortable indoor temperature without overworking your heating or cooling systems.
5. Time your energy usage during off-peak hours, especially for energy-intensive tasks like washing clothes and using the dishwasher.

In addition to energy-saving tips, seniors should also be aware of any available discounts, rebates, or government programs. For instance, the Australian Government offers the Energy Supplement, which provides financial assistance to help eligible Australians meet energy costs. State governments also offer various concessions and rebates, so contact your energy company or state government to check which benefits you may be eligible for.

Key Takeaways

• Aussie customers have been left in shock after being informed of massive hikes to their electricity rates next month, with some facing increases of up to 83 per cent.
  • AGL customer Judy Saunders, from Ashfield in Sydney's Inner West, said she was stunned when she received an email from the power company informing her of the new electricity rates she would be charged from July 1.
  • The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) confirmed last month that electricity prices will increase between 20 and 25 per cent from July 1 for about 600,000 customers.
  • AER chair Clare Savage said that the regulator had to balance the cost-of-living pressures customers faced with the need for retailers to recover reasonable costs.

Judy's family has taken steps towards smart electricity usage by running the washing machine and the tumble dryer during the day and using the solar power they are producing.

We encourage our members to stay well-informed and proactive in reducing energy consumption and seeking better rates in the market when possible. Together, let's work towards a more budget-friendly, energy-efficient future.

The electricity companies are not telling the truth the cost increases are to pay for the so called green power wind and solar

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

And we can thank every voter who believed the crap spoken by Albo promising a cut in electricity costs and the dumb arse Greenies and humankind climate change followers who have stopped all Australians from benefiting from cheap power being enjoyed by our importers of Australian Coal and Gas, just wonder under which rock all of the clowns who claimed that these alternative power sources would result in cheaper power for all are hiding although I must admit that the majority of these alleged savers of our planet would not have half a brain between them.
And is it any wonder why our manufacturing industries are moving offshore where energy and labour costs are significantly cheaper then being charged in Australia.
Mind you, we can also thank our Federal Government both sides of the political spectrum for allowing our essential energy sources to be exported to other countries instead of looking after our energy needs.

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

• The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) confirmed last month that electricity prices will increase between 20 and 25 per icity usage by running the washing machine and the tumble dryer during the day and using the solar power they are producing.

Key Takeaways

This is what mine is going up by. My last bill was $649.83 I hate thinking what my next bill will be. I was only just able to effort the last bill. I live off $730 per fortnight and trying very hard to keep my house & car (I live out in a rural town) phone, heating (wood which jumped up by $260 to $500 per month) insurance and health insurance let alone food, petrol. And my local Council was just given approval by IPART to a one off increase and another ongoing increase to help them recover old debit just so they case stay open. With all this and everyone else who I pay bills too increasing their costs this year it makes it hard to just want to keep going. Welcome to old age. Feeling very sad too for all the younger people. I know one thing "Australia can no longer be called the lucky country".20230622_083612.jpg

Reactions: croz

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

I haven’t heard from energy Australia so I must call them. I do all of the energy saving tips already so can’t do more except disconnect hot water or stop cooking food. I can’t get dar due to tress. It’s about time the govt steps in. This is unattainable for all but the super rich. Wages are not going up but everything else is. How can we survive. Even the mini pension increase is useless against these hikes. 😡😡😡

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

I just changed company’s to a cheaper one, took a few days to set up but finally got round to sending a meter read (5days) they are saying my bill is already at nearly $60……… that’s right $60, they are projecting my bill to be $232.12, I thought that sounded good till I realised it was only for 30 days. I’m one person, that’s $120 a fortnight out of my disability pension that I can’t afford.
The $1,072 the government is giving out isn’t going to go very far, it’s spent before we even get it, the power companies are making sure of that 🤬🤬😡😡

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

Hi Folks,
Received update pricing from my power company Tuesday. My Hotwater rate has jumped 170% to 45.10/kw, Power jumped 105% to 59.4 /kw.
Do you think I will remain with this bunch of thieves, I think not!
Thanks for absolutely nothing Albanese, like someone else mention we need a govt. with something between their legs to stand up for Australia and start buying us back from the rest of the world.
A good way to subsidise our power cost would be if EVERY POLITICIANS superanuation was cut by 75% and the remainder put into a power subsidy for all that would cover us. Plus extend the length of their terms to qualify for a political pension from 7 years to 25 years minimum! Plus cut that pension to 10% more than the Old Age Pension, see how long you poor ignorant buggers would last then in this so called "Lucky Country"
My next vote will be for the "Kindergarden Party" , 4-5 year olds come up with better ideas than our politicians.
Totally Peed with the lot of you!
Gupster SA.

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

The only left for me to get any more saving is for me just to turn every bloody thing off and be done with it. Thanks to all you bloody idiots that voted for this bloody useless twat.

Would this have anything to do with the thousands of electric car charges that will be needed Australia wide in the very near future. 🤔
I may be on the wrong track here but it would be interesting to know who will be putting in the charges and who will be paying for installation.

Reactions: Gsr and Macarj
And we can thank every voter who believed the crap spoken by Albo promising a cut in electricity costs and the dumb arse Greenies and humankind climate change followers who have stopped all Australians from benefiting from cheap power being enjoyed by our importers of Australian Coal and Gas, just wonder under which rock all of the clowns who claimed that these alternative power sources would result in cheaper power for all are hiding although I must admit that the majority of these alleged savers of our planet would not have half a brain between them.
And is it any wonder why our manufacturing industries are moving offshore where energy and labour costs are significantly cheaper then being charged in Australia.
Mind you, we can also thank our Federal Government both sides of the political spectrum for allowing our essential energy sources to be exported to other countries instead of looking after our energy needs.
It wasn't the labor government who sold off the electricity and gas to overseas companies, it wasn't the labor government who got rid of the car industries' it wasn't the labor government screwed the country financially making it harder the average person to afford health, the Liberals cut money from hospitals, education, road works. This government is trying its best they can't fix everything at once there are a lot of fires they need to put out.

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

Electricity should not be Private but fully state owned

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

3rd world stuff. In Thailand, it is 50% cheaper or more

Reactions: Macarj and Bridgit

View attachment 22886

View attachment 22888

View attachment 22887

Key Takeaways

LIBERAL NATIONAL PARTY PRIVATISE everything and we pay more