Pregnant woman stirs controversial debate about whether it is morally correct for a stranger to touch a pregnant woman’s belly — “Makes me feel ill!"

Pregnant woman stirs controversial debate about whether it is morally correct for a stranger to touch a pregnant woman’s belly — “Makes me feel ill!”

We often recognise the act of extending your best wishes to a pregnant woman as a gesture of goodwill and support. After all, carrying a baby in your womb is not an easy task for expecting mothers as both their health and their babies' health are on the line.

It is also understood that as women go through the process of pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations that may trigger mood swings should be expected.

However, one heavily pregnant woman has stirred quite a fierce debate among social media users after sharing her issue with an unfamiliar woman touching her stomach without her consent.

Mum-to-be Danielle Fraser has taken to TikTok to share her "rude" encounter with a woman — who Danielle estimated to be in her sixties — after the stranger touched her womb while she was shopping at her local Bunnings and asked her how "far" she was with her pregnancy.

Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau

The pregnant woman, who posts under the username @theaveragewifeau, said that she "grabbed" the elderly woman's hand and "pushed it off" her stomach.

Danielle says in the video: “So I’m in Bunnings. This lady - she’s not old old, but she’s probably 60 - put her hand on my stomach and went, ‘Oh, how far are you?’”

“I grabbed her hand, looked her in the eye, pushed it off and went ‘I’m not pregnant’ and then waddled away."

The mum-to-be revealed that she is nine months pregnant and that she was very upset with what the stranger did to her.

The video has gone viral, amassing more than 258,000 views and hundreds of comments from TikTok users who seemed to be divided over the argument on whether Danielle was right for feeling upset.

A number of users said that while they understood that she was in a delicate state, the woman was just expressing her sincere wishes for her.

One person wrote: “I get it people shouldn’t touch but I think it comes from a place of excitement at thought of new life. I try to educate not belittle.”

“Oh how terrible some lovely lady touching your stomach. God what’s the problem?” one asked.

Another comment read: “I love when people touch my bump! People just giving loving excited vibes.”

“That was a bit mean. Boundaries are real, but she meant no harm,” another quipped.

KGRKuFL9_1m6PW5I9R_ZPbgid1irKvlt4iEUsEgGCrIxRwJBY2ENlXAQpF8nkeEolk0ZXvbTkCfUNUaku7mXgXnKaiyojECaBtc4xKK7ecn1G4CYhfkf2iLcfzljnQe2xUqoDK4

Danielle admitted that the “rude” act made her feel upset. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Others pointed out that the stranger's age should be taken into account, as she probably experienced pregnancy in a different time where the act would be more normal.

“They are adults but they grew up in a different era and if they don’t know better, then they do what they’ve always done,” one person argued.

However, a number of people did not excuse the woman's actions, arguing that it’s never okay to touch a pregnant woman's stomach without her consent.

One person wrote: “Did they time travel here? Besides: touching strangers was ALWAYS rude. We need to stop making excuses for people acting entitled to women’s bodies.”

“The idea of a stranger touching my stomach like it’s public property makes me feel ill,” another added.

A third quipped: “You’ve been alive long enough to know better.”

mxg499t7STV28LEHpOsOU9nVCpblIO_HWYkZyWxOaEnkBNalMCEScIWQJrwIpXscTKITI92c82GmnR9za1I8tX0PxH5Lx46VptzGq-h0NHREkcPgZevfkEv2fUDAG8IqRvgccEk

Danielle showed off her belly, revealing she is “about nine months pregnant”. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Elsewhere in the comments section, a number of users commented on the fact that the woman assumed that Danielle was pregnant, labelling the act as "problematic".

One user said: “These comments are not it. What if she had recently had a miscarriage? What if she actually wasn’t pregnant? This is never OK.”

“This happened to me and I wasn’t pregnant and my belly wasn’t that big. I had a top on that flared out but gosh she upset me,” another commented.

A third added: “People who haven’t struggled with infertility might not realise that some IVF treatments make you look pregnant and this can be traumatic in public.”

With all the commotion going on, many TikTok users praised Danielle for her brave move of taking a stand on the issue.

One woman wrote: “You did this for every woman who has been pregnant and has had a stranger touch their stomach. Thank you!”

How about you? In your opinion, is the gesture of the stranger rude? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm sorry but why wouldn't you want all the love and warm wishes you could get. Maybe the stranger doesn't have kids or grandkids to lavish warm feelings on. I agree that maybe they should have asked first but I know that when I was pregnant I would have loved it as I didn't have any family here.

Pregnant woman stirs controversial debate about whether it is morally correct for a stranger to touch a pregnant woman’s belly — “Makes me feel ill!”

We often recognise the act of extending your best wishes to a pregnant woman as a gesture of goodwill and support. After all, carrying a baby in your womb is not an easy task for expecting mothers as both their health and their babies' health are on the line.

It is also understood that as women go through the process of pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations that may trigger mood swings should be expected.

However, one heavily pregnant woman has stirred quite a fierce debate among social media users after sharing her issue with an unfamiliar woman touching her stomach without her consent.

Mum-to-be Danielle Fraser has taken to TikTok to share her "rude" encounter with a woman — who Danielle estimated to be in her sixties — after the stranger touched her womb while she was shopping at her local Bunnings and asked her how "far" she was with her pregnancy.

The pregnant woman, who posts under the username @theaveragewifeau, said that she "grabbed" the elderly woman's hand and "pushed it off" her stomach.

Danielle says in the video: “So I’m in Bunnings. This lady - she’s not old old, but she’s probably 60 - put her hand on my stomach and went, ‘Oh, how far are you?’”

“I grabbed her hand, looked her in the eye, pushed it off and went ‘I’m not pregnant’ and then waddled away."

The mum-to-be revealed that she is nine months pregnant and that she was very upset with what the stranger did to her.

The video has gone viral, amassing more than 258,000 views and hundreds of comments from TikTok users who seemed to be divided over the argument on whether Danielle was right for feeling upset.

A number of users said that while they understood that she was in a delicate state, the woman was just expressing her sincere wishes for her.

One person wrote: “I get it people shouldn’t touch but I think it comes from a place of excitement at thought of new life. I try to educate not belittle.”

“Oh how terrible some lovely lady touching your stomach. God what’s the problem?” one asked.

Another comment read: “I love when people touch my bump! People just giving loving excited vibes.”

“That was a bit mean. Boundaries are real, but she meant no harm,” another quipped.

KGRKuFL9_1m6PW5I9R_ZPbgid1irKvlt4iEUsEgGCrIxRwJBY2ENlXAQpF8nkeEolk0ZXvbTkCfUNUaku7mXgXnKaiyojECaBtc4xKK7ecn1G4CYhfkf2iLcfzljnQe2xUqoDK4

Danielle admitted that the “rude” act made her feel upset. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Others pointed out that the stranger's age should be taken into account, as she probably experienced pregnancy in a different time where the act would be more normal.

“They are adults but they grew up in a different era and if they don’t know better, then they do what they’ve always done,” one person argued.

However, a number of people did not excuse the woman's actions, arguing that it’s never okay to touch a pregnant woman's stomach without her consent.

One person wrote: “Did they time travel here? Besides: touching strangers was ALWAYS rude. We need to stop making excuses for people acting entitled to women’s bodies.”

“The idea of a stranger touching my stomach like it’s public property makes me feel ill,” another added.

mxg499t7STV28LEHpOsOU9nVCpblIO_HWYkZyWxOaEnkBNalMCEScIWQJrwIpXscTKITI92c82GmnR9za1I8tX0PxH5Lx46VptzGq-h0NHREkcPgZevfkEv2fUDAG8IqRvgccEk

Danielle showed off her belly, revealing she is “about nine months pregnant”. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Elsewhere in the comments section, a number of users commented on the fact that the woman assumed that Danielle was pregnant, labelling the act as "problematic".

One user said: “These comments are not it. What if she had recently had a miscarriage? What if she actually wasn’t pregnant? This is never OK.”

“This happened to me and I wasn’t pregnant and my belly wasn’t that big. I had a top on that flared out but gosh she upset me,” another commented.

A third added: “People who haven’t struggled with infertility might not realise that some IVF treatments make you look pregnant and this can be traumatic in public.”

With all the commotion going on, many TikTok users praised Danielle for her brave move of taking a stand on the issue.

One woman wrote: “You did this for every woman who has been pregnant and has had a stranger touch their stomach. Thank you!”

How about you? In your opinion, is the gesture of the stranger rude? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

IF THIS IS THE WORSE THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS WOMANS LIFE , THEN SHE IS ONE LUCKY WOMAN. This is the trouble today, people just HAVE to complain about everything, no matter what. Thank you and move on. Geez nowadays a man can't even whistle at a woman, some women thinks it is offensive. Grow up, get a life, worry about the really hurtful, nasty, cruel, things happening around the world.

I’m not particularly fussed with strangers putting their hands on me. Past generations certainly did not go round feeling the bump. I think the reaction was a bit severe though understandable, but the lady should have asked first.

Touching another person without their consent no matter what the circumstances is invading their space and is essentially assault.
No-one would want to touch me without my consent I would be letting them know it's not acceptable under any circumstances.
I hope I wouldn't be as abrupt and rude as Danielle but it's still a hands off situation.
Personally I occasionally offer my congratulations and best wishes to obviously pregnant women that I know but definitely not to a complete stranger an definitely NO TOUCHING unless the woman requests it.

No one! No one has the right to interfere with another person without their consent. No argument.

I agree that this woman's act of touching your pregnant belly was inappropriate. Some now a days liken it to assault especially if it's an imbecile male doing it but l feel she needed a truthful education in respecting boundaries rather than your action.

I was pregnant at a time when we had to "hide" our baby bump under "tents". But after doctors told me I wouldnt be able to have children I have never been prouder of my body as during my pregnancy! In some cultures its believed touching a pregnant woman's belly brings luck, as it is a blessed state. I agree, she should probably have asked first (as I expect people to ask if they can pat my dog 😉), but was it really soooo bad that it has to be posted and make such a fuss about? Get on with your life, look forward to having a baby soon and enjoy being able to have one! who knows what this woman might have been through?

I am a male and was shopping with my grand daughter and her very new baby and during the pandamic when several older women come up and touched him and said how lovely he was. She was OK with them as they were older but said it was creepy though and she would have preferred they didn't. She did say while she was pregnant the same happened with them touching her tummy. She hated it but was polite and quickly moved on. I must admit I stay out of these things as once asked a shop assistant how long she had to go and she was embarrassed as she had recently just gained a lot of weight.

Too much political correctness these days!!! I think the most beautiful time in any woman’s life is when they are pregnant. I loved being pregnant and I love touching pregnant women’s bellies. Of course I ask first and that is to my friends. I wouldn’t do to strangers. For sure the lady meant no har!!! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci
I do not believe morals have anything to do with it but I would believe that it is what my mother would have said "poor form" I would believe unless you are either a friend or relative it should be hands off,even then it would probably be appropriate to wait for an invitation.

Oh Gosh...Your Body, Your Choice.... If you dont want to be touched scream rape and enjoy the show.... people including children and pregnant mothers are being blown up... Pandemick is still raging, not forgetting those in the floods who have been left with nothing, fires are still crippling parts of the country and who knows what the China has in mind... We are becoming a very mentally sick country ... Beware Ladies if you need help and unable to authorise touch help people may just bypass you.

Reactions: Noraya and Ricci

I'm in my 60's and I have never been okay with strangers, or even people I knew, touching my belly when I was pregnant. They needed to ask for my persmission first. When I returned to work, when my youngest child was 8 months old, and I still had around 15 kilos of baby weight to lose, the rumour went around the office that I was again pregnant. It didn't matter how often I denied it. Two toxic busy bodies even went right up to me one day and demanded that I tell them how many months pregnant I was. So humiliating.

IF THIS IS THE WORSE THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS WOMANS LIFE , THEN SHE IS ONE LUCKY WOMAN. This is the trouble today, people just HAVE to complain about everything, no matter what. Thank you and move on. Geez nowadays a man can't even whistle at a woman, some women thinks it is offensive. Grow up, get a life, worry about the really hurtful, nasty, cruel, things happening around the world.
Used to love getting wolf whistled. 😂 do think this is a bit precious. The lady didn’t mean any harm

Reactions: Ricci
Oh dear, a stranger touched your baby bump, how terrible, how dare she, who did she think she was? Invading your space.
Give me a break lady, she only touched your stomach she didn’t violate you.
You know what I don’t like? I don’t like pregnant woman that do nothing BUT keep touching and rubbing their stomach ( I bet you do that constantly) We had 5 children and I was very proud of being pregnant, and yes older women always touched my stomach and asked when I was due. The other think I noted was the way they remembered their own pregnancy and would spend sometime talking about it.
So keep this in mind, especially once that baby has grown up, and moved on, when your in your sixties, and remember the joy of being pregnant, and the joy of seeing a young pregnant lady.
I bet the first thing you will do is touch her stomach and remember your own pregnancy have a chat and share some motherly advice.

Reactions: Noraya and Ricci

I think she over reacted. It's not that big of a deal.

That stranger who touched the pregnant woman's stomach has NO right to do so, if you accidently brush against somebody in public, the right and polite thing to do is to say sorry. The pregnant woman is 100 percent correct good on her for pushing her hand away, that's nearly verging on assault.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Jennylolo
Touching another person without their consent no matter what the circumstances is invading their space and is essentially assault.
No-one would want to touch me without my consent I would be letting them know it's not acceptable under any circumstances.
I hope I wouldn't be as abrupt and rude as Danielle but it's still a hands off situation.
Personally I occasionally offer my congratulations and best wishes to obviously pregnant women that I know but definitely not to a complete stranger an definitely NO TOUCHING unless the woman requests it.
Too much political correctness these days!!! I think the most beautiful time in any woman’s life is when they are pregnant. I loved being pregnant and I love touching pregnant women’s bellies. Of course I ask first and that is to my friends. I wouldn’t do to strangers. For sure the lady meant no har!!! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
and that is the key - ask first

No-one has the right to touch anyone for any reason without their consent regardless of the reason. When you brush someone or knock into them you apologise. The lady could easily have asked first. Where is the consideration for the pregnant woman. Many have stated she shouldn't have been so harsh in her response- what to remove her hand, brush it away? How is this wrong when the one who touched her first isn't wrong and you think that is ok. This really is double standards. Plus no-one knows anything about the pregnant mum, their mental state, their experiences, even traumas. It could have triggered anything for this pregnant mum. Be considerate, stop and ask rather than do first. It's that simple. I am surprised by how many of you believe its' ok to say the pregnant mum should be ok with it. It's her body and she has every right to say no. But she shouldn't have to even say anything.

Last edited:
  • Sad