Pregnant woman stirs controversial debate about whether it is morally correct for a stranger to touch a pregnant woman’s belly — “Makes me feel ill!"

Pregnant woman stirs controversial debate about whether it is morally correct for a stranger to touch a pregnant woman’s belly — “Makes me feel ill!”

We often recognise the act of extending your best wishes to a pregnant woman as a gesture of goodwill and support. After all, carrying a baby in your womb is not an easy task for expecting mothers as both their health and their babies' health are on the line.

It is also understood that as women go through the process of pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations that may trigger mood swings should be expected.

However, one heavily pregnant woman has stirred quite a fierce debate among social media users after sharing her issue with an unfamiliar woman touching her stomach without her consent.

Mum-to-be Danielle Fraser has taken to TikTok to share her "rude" encounter with a woman — who Danielle estimated to be in her sixties — after the stranger touched her womb while she was shopping at her local Bunnings and asked her how "far" she was with her pregnancy.

Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau

The pregnant woman, who posts under the username @theaveragewifeau, said that she "grabbed" the elderly woman's hand and "pushed it off" her stomach.

Danielle says in the video: “So I’m in Bunnings. This lady - she’s not old old, but she’s probably 60 - put her hand on my stomach and went, ‘Oh, how far are you?’”

“I grabbed her hand, looked her in the eye, pushed it off and went ‘I’m not pregnant’ and then waddled away."

The mum-to-be revealed that she is nine months pregnant and that she was very upset with what the stranger did to her.

The video has gone viral, amassing more than 258,000 views and hundreds of comments from TikTok users who seemed to be divided over the argument on whether Danielle was right for feeling upset.

A number of users said that while they understood that she was in a delicate state, the woman was just expressing her sincere wishes for her.

One person wrote: “I get it people shouldn’t touch but I think it comes from a place of excitement at thought of new life. I try to educate not belittle.”

“Oh how terrible some lovely lady touching your stomach. God what’s the problem?” one asked.

Another comment read: “I love when people touch my bump! People just giving loving excited vibes.”

“That was a bit mean. Boundaries are real, but she meant no harm,” another quipped.

KGRKuFL9_1m6PW5I9R_ZPbgid1irKvlt4iEUsEgGCrIxRwJBY2ENlXAQpF8nkeEolk0ZXvbTkCfUNUaku7mXgXnKaiyojECaBtc4xKK7ecn1G4CYhfkf2iLcfzljnQe2xUqoDK4

Danielle admitted that the “rude” act made her feel upset. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Others pointed out that the stranger's age should be taken into account, as she probably experienced pregnancy in a different time where the act would be more normal.

“They are adults but they grew up in a different era and if they don’t know better, then they do what they’ve always done,” one person argued.

However, a number of people did not excuse the woman's actions, arguing that it’s never okay to touch a pregnant woman's stomach without her consent.

One person wrote: “Did they time travel here? Besides: touching strangers was ALWAYS rude. We need to stop making excuses for people acting entitled to women’s bodies.”

“The idea of a stranger touching my stomach like it’s public property makes me feel ill,” another added.

A third quipped: “You’ve been alive long enough to know better.”

mxg499t7STV28LEHpOsOU9nVCpblIO_HWYkZyWxOaEnkBNalMCEScIWQJrwIpXscTKITI92c82GmnR9za1I8tX0PxH5Lx46VptzGq-h0NHREkcPgZevfkEv2fUDAG8IqRvgccEk

Danielle showed off her belly, revealing she is “about nine months pregnant”. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Elsewhere in the comments section, a number of users commented on the fact that the woman assumed that Danielle was pregnant, labelling the act as "problematic".

One user said: “These comments are not it. What if she had recently had a miscarriage? What if she actually wasn’t pregnant? This is never OK.”

“This happened to me and I wasn’t pregnant and my belly wasn’t that big. I had a top on that flared out but gosh she upset me,” another commented.

A third added: “People who haven’t struggled with infertility might not realise that some IVF treatments make you look pregnant and this can be traumatic in public.”

With all the commotion going on, many TikTok users praised Danielle for her brave move of taking a stand on the issue.

One woman wrote: “You did this for every woman who has been pregnant and has had a stranger touch their stomach. Thank you!”

How about you? In your opinion, is the gesture of the stranger rude? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
That stranger who touched the pregnant woman's stomach has NO right to do so, if you accidently brush against somebody in public, the right and polite thing to do is to say sorry. The pregnant woman is 100 percent correct good on her for pushing her hand away, that's nearly verging on assault.
Totally agree. We teach children to not accept anyone touching them without their consent and to speak up. This is no different.

Reactions: Ricci
Why say your not pregnant when obviously you are, I agree in this day and age though, 'hands off'.

Pregnant woman stirs controversial debate about whether it is morally correct for a stranger to touch a pregnant woman’s belly — “Makes me feel ill!”

We often recognise the act of extending your best wishes to a pregnant woman as a gesture of goodwill and support. After all, carrying a baby in your womb is not an easy task for expecting mothers as both their health and their babies' health are on the line.

It is also understood that as women go through the process of pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations that may trigger mood swings should be expected.

However, one heavily pregnant woman has stirred quite a fierce debate among social media users after sharing her issue with an unfamiliar woman touching her stomach without her consent.

Mum-to-be Danielle Fraser has taken to TikTok to share her "rude" encounter with a woman — who Danielle estimated to be in her sixties — after the stranger touched her womb while she was shopping at her local Bunnings and asked her how "far" she was with her pregnancy.

The pregnant woman, who posts under the username @theaveragewifeau, said that she "grabbed" the elderly woman's hand and "pushed it off" her stomach.

Danielle says in the video: “So I’m in Bunnings. This lady - she’s not old old, but she’s probably 60 - put her hand on my stomach and went, ‘Oh, how far are you?’”

“I grabbed her hand, looked her in the eye, pushed it off and went ‘I’m not pregnant’ and then waddled away."

The mum-to-be revealed that she is nine months pregnant and that she was very upset with what the stranger did to her.

The video has gone viral, amassing more than 258,000 views and hundreds of comments from TikTok users who seemed to be divided over the argument on whether Danielle was right for feeling upset.

A number of users said that while they understood that she was in a delicate state, the woman was just expressing her sincere wishes for her.

One person wrote: “I get it people shouldn’t touch but I think it comes from a place of excitement at thought of new life. I try to educate not belittle.”

“Oh how terrible some lovely lady touching your stomach. God what’s the problem?” one asked.

Another comment read: “I love when people touch my bump! People just giving loving excited vibes.”

“That was a bit mean. Boundaries are real, but she meant no harm,” another quipped.

KGRKuFL9_1m6PW5I9R_ZPbgid1irKvlt4iEUsEgGCrIxRwJBY2ENlXAQpF8nkeEolk0ZXvbTkCfUNUaku7mXgXnKaiyojECaBtc4xKK7ecn1G4CYhfkf2iLcfzljnQe2xUqoDK4

Danielle admitted that the “rude” act made her feel upset. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Others pointed out that the stranger's age should be taken into account, as she probably experienced pregnancy in a different time where the act would be more normal.

“They are adults but they grew up in a different era and if they don’t know better, then they do what they’ve always done,” one person argued.

However, a number of people did not excuse the woman's actions, arguing that it’s never okay to touch a pregnant woman's stomach without her consent.

One person wrote: “Did they time travel here? Besides: touching strangers was ALWAYS rude. We need to stop making excuses for people acting entitled to women’s bodies.”

“The idea of a stranger touching my stomach like it’s public property makes me feel ill,” another added.

mxg499t7STV28LEHpOsOU9nVCpblIO_HWYkZyWxOaEnkBNalMCEScIWQJrwIpXscTKITI92c82GmnR9za1I8tX0PxH5Lx46VptzGq-h0NHREkcPgZevfkEv2fUDAG8IqRvgccEk

Danielle showed off her belly, revealing she is “about nine months pregnant”. Credit: TikTok/@theaveragewifeau.

Elsewhere in the comments section, a number of users commented on the fact that the woman assumed that Danielle was pregnant, labelling the act as "problematic".

One user said: “These comments are not it. What if she had recently had a miscarriage? What if she actually wasn’t pregnant? This is never OK.”

“This happened to me and I wasn’t pregnant and my belly wasn’t that big. I had a top on that flared out but gosh she upset me,” another commented.

A third added: “People who haven’t struggled with infertility might not realise that some IVF treatments make you look pregnant and this can be traumatic in public.”

With all the commotion going on, many TikTok users praised Danielle for her brave move of taking a stand on the issue.

One woman wrote: “You did this for every woman who has been pregnant and has had a stranger touch their stomach. Thank you!”

How about you? In your opinion, is the gesture of the stranger rude? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

I am over 60 years old and I would not ever dream of touching a pregnant (or not) woman’s stomach, even if it was my daughter or daughter in law who was pregnant.

I agree that this woman's act of touching your pregnant belly was inappropriate. Some now a days liken it to assault especially if it's an imbecile male doing it but l feel she needed a truthful education in respecting boundaries rather than your action.
I think she over reacted. It's not that big of a deal.
Ros5455- exactly boundaries and consent.
Campbell, it clearly was a big deal. You don't know her background and why she is upset. This could have triggered past traumas as well. And she's hardly going to say that publicly. Point is - her body- her rights to not be touched.

I’m not particularly fussed with strangers putting their hands on me. Past generations certainly did not go round feeling the bump. I think the reaction was a bit severe though understandable, but the lady should have asked first.
severe reaction- to remove her hand? So she's supposed to leave the hand on her belly? She had every right to remove it. It clearly triggered something for the mum to be. No-one knows her background. Yes the woman should have asked.

IF THIS IS THE WORSE THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS WOMANS LIFE , THEN SHE IS ONE LUCKY WOMAN. This is the trouble today, people just HAVE to complain about everything, no matter what. Thank you and move on. Geez nowadays a man can't even whistle at a woman, some women thinks it is offensive. Grow up, get a life, worry about the really hurtful, nasty, cruel, things happening around the world.
really? how do you know what has happened to her before that caused her to react this way in the first place. This can trigger all sorts of trauma/past memories/assault.

Reactions: wensyj62 and Ricci
Touching another person without their consent no matter what the circumstances is invading their space and is essentially assault.
No-one would want to touch me without my consent I would be letting them know it's not acceptable under any circumstances.
I hope I wouldn't be as abrupt and rude as Danielle but it's still a hands off situation.
Personally I occasionally offer my congratulations and best wishes to obviously pregnant women that I know but definitely not to a complete stranger an definitely NO TOUCHING unless the woman requests it.
Agree it is assault- and there was no consent- but I don't think removing the hand was rude- we don't know her background and what was triggered for her, but was she to leave it there and endure her feelings which she was clearly rocked by?

• Sad

how do we know this actually happened to her? Did someone else see it happen? We've only got her say so; if it was true....ewww.....hands off also applies to anyone touching someone else without permission first

I'm sorry but why wouldn't you want all the love and warm wishes you could get. Maybe the stranger doesn't have kids or grandkids to lavish warm feelings on. I agree that maybe they should have asked first but I know that when I was pregnant I would have loved it as I didn't have any family here.
We must remember that we are human beings, not robots, and sometimes we act spontaneously. The lady was wrong in assuming the pregnant lady was pregnant, but I think about she felt after having her hand pushed away and dismissed so rudely. There could have been a gentler way to deal with it.