Power struggle: Aussie woman’s shocking bill blunder leaves her in the dark!

Imagine opening your power bill only to discover an astronomical charge that doesn't add up. For one Sydney resident, this nightmare became a reality due to an unexpected mix-up.

What started as a routine bill quickly turned into a confusing and frustrating ordeal, highlighting the potential pitfalls in everyday services we often take for granted.

This incident has left many shaking their heads in disbelief as they ponder the complexities and potential pitfalls of modern utility management.

Julie Randle, a resident of a quaint one-bedroom unit in Manly on Sydney's northern beaches, began to suspect something was amiss when her energy bills from Alinta Energy started to soar to eye-watering amounts.

Despite her frugal use of electricity, the bills were inconsistent with her lifestyle, prompting her to question the accuracy of the charges with her energy provider.

‘I contacted Alinta and they told me time and time again, “Your bill is correct,”’ Randle recounted.

‘(They) said “It can't possibly be wrong. It's a smart meter. It's never estimated, so it's correct.”’

new-bg-local-gas.jpg
Julie Randle unwittingly covered the electricity bill for a larger upstairs apartment due to a wiring mistake. Credits: Alinta Energy

However, Randle's intuition told her otherwise, and she was determined to uncover the truth by setting up a trap.

‘Before I went away in August, I took a little video of myself switching everything off in the apartment,’ she narrated.

‘So I went round and switched off and physically unplugged everything I was away for three and a half weeks.’

Upon her return, she was greeted with a staggering $300 power bill, her largest to date, which confirmed her suspicions beyond a shadow of a doubt.

‘That was when I absolutely knew for certain,’ the Sydney resident concluded.

‘Before that, I'd been suspicious but that just made me say, “Hey, this is definitely not right.”’

The situation escalated when Randle's efforts to resolve the issue with Alinta Energy hit a wall, leading her to seek the intervention of the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW.

They dispatched an electrician to investigate and uncovered the shocking truth.

‘He confirmed that I had been cross-wired with another apartment in the building, so I have been paying somebody else's electricity bill all that time,’ Randle stated.

Alinta Energy corrected the wiring mishap under the Ombudsman's directive, but the resolution was short-lived as Randle continued to receive exorbitant bills.

‘So as of the 31st of January my bill was supposed to be correct,’ she said.

‘Then I got my February bill which is obviously the shortest month of the year, and it was $350.’

‘It's the biggest deal I've ever had,’ Randle continued.

Randle’s frustration mounted when her attempts to engage with Alinta for an explanation were met with silence.

‘They haven't been replying. So I've been emailing during the online portal, and phone calls and hadn't replied to any of my questions,’ Randle expressed.

‘It's distressing…it's disappointing. I'm still paying my bills so I'm a loyal customer.’

‘And they just won't talk to me. It's really, really quite stressful,’ she added.

The case, which had been previously closed by the Ombudsman to Randle's satisfaction, has now been reopened due to the persistence of the issue.

Alinta Energy, in a statement, insisted that the incorrect bills had been reversed, a credit issued to Randle, and that communication had been maintained throughout the process.

You can read Alinta Energy's full statement here:
An earlier Ombudsman case was closed out to the satisfaction of the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW.

As part of that we resolved the meter wiring issue and incorrect bills that were issued as a result.

The incorrect bills were reversed and we also issued a credit to the customer.

Responses/replies were provided throughout.

Another Ombudsman case has since been opened, covering issues that were resolved in the first case.

We responded to the customer on 7 May reiterating the steps that had been taken to resolve the earlier case.
This billing blunder is just one example of the broader issues plaguing Australians as they grapple with their power bills.

Across the nation, energy prices have been climbing, leaving many households struggling to manage costs.

Experts are now sounding the alarm about the ongoing surge in electricity prices, urging consumers to stay informed and proactive.

As power costs remain high, it's crucial for everyone, particularly seniors on fixed incomes, to be aware of these trends and seek ways to mitigate their impact.
Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney woman, Julie Randle, had been unknowingly paying for the electricity of a larger apartment upstairs due to a cross-wiring error.
  • Despite repeated attempts to address the issue with Alinta Energy, the energy bills continued to be incorrectly high even after the Ombudsman intervened.
  • Alinta Energy claimed to have resolved the issue, reversed the incorrect bills, and issued a credit to Randle, with responses provided throughout the process.
  • The case was reopened by the Ombudsman after the continued receipt of high bills, with Julie Randle still seeking a satisfactory resolution from the company.
Have you ever encountered a similar issue? How was it resolved? We invite you to share your own experiences with utility billing in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have a few friends who are with Alinta and they have had nothing but trouble. I suppose it happens with other suppliers as well. We don't have a smart meter but always check my bill to make sure it is an actual read not an estimate read.

Yes, a couple of times; the answer is simple. Give the private enterprise utility two registered letters in one month and a total of four weeks to reply asking it to justify its claim and when there is no reply, refer them by telephone to the Ombudsman's Office, after which send to the Ombudsman copies of those two letters.

How can you be loyal and keep paying your bills, SWAP companies, and leave Alinta alone. We are with Red energy and to us they are excellent. No doubt not for everyone on this site,
I think thats the best move change providers asap and avoid these so called smart meters too

Reactions: what
Allinta probably use contractors to install them. Think all meter readings are done by contractors now. I heard about a guy that was retrenched by a company and got a contract to read meters in the same areas. He set up his own company and employs one other person. He is making a good profit and saved enough to buy a NEW car within a short time.