ZanyLady, how much ingredients, for example how much coffee? How much vanilla? etc , etc
Hi Ricci, I just use about 200 ml of water and as much coffee as you want. I’m sorry it’s not exact, I just make it and if I run out I just make more. Just a splash of vanilla.

Oh my goodness, I want to cook every single recipe right now and eat it all. @jonathan this is probably our hardest competition yet!!! How are we going to choose our winner, we will have to do a team vote :love:

Reactions: Ricci
Curry Cauliflower in slow cooker
  • Prep: 15 mins
  • Cook: 2 hrs 30 mins
  • serves 4-5
  • cost approx. $5.00

Ingredients​

500g bag of frozen cauliflower florets

½ onion diced

300ml cooking cream

1 and ¼ tsp curry powder (I use Keens brand)

¼ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp turmeric

Salt and pepper

Directions​

Add cauliflower and onion to slow cooker

Combine all other ingredients and pour over

Cook on low for 2.5hrs

Attachments

• FD7AE328-4F81-4C5E-B63B-7B208FC2CA6A.jpeg
    FD7AE328-4F81-4C5E-B63B-7B208FC2CA6A.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
This recipe is over 60 years old. It was obtained from the neighbour we lived next door to in NZ when I was only 6 years old. It was the only thing the ladies son would eat. It is so easy to make and is yummy. I have actually made two batches during the 2021 Christmas period. Only has 4 ingredients.

Shortbread

Ingredients

1/2 lb butter at room temperature
5 oz castor sugar
12 oz flour (take out 1 tablespoon of flour and replace with the 1 tablespoon of ground rice.)
1 tbsp Ground rice

Method
1. Using a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar
2. Sift the flour and ground rice together and slowly add to butter and sugar. When it has just come together tip out onto bench and knead until like putty.
3. Roll into long roll, cut into pieces and bake in moderate oven (180 deg) until golden brown.
Enjoy

Note: The size of the roll will depend how big you want the biscuits. This will also determine the quantity you get. My shortbread is about 2" in diameter and about 1cm in height.

Attachments

• IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi Xe, as promised, here is the Mars Bar slice recipe

4 Mars Bars
110g butter
3 cups Rice Bubbles (Aldi's equivalent just fine and a lot cheaper)

TOPPING
2X180g Aldi's Dairy Fine Milk Chocolate (I think it is just as good as Cadbury's and once again a lot cheaper.
60g butter

Grease a 19cmx29cm lamington pan

Method

Cut up Mars Bars into small pieces, same with butter and combine together in a large saucepan, stir constantly over low heat without boiling until the mixture is smooth. To help along with the combining of the Mars Bars and butter use a whisk.
Stir in Rice Bubbles ensuring they are completely coated.
Press mixture evenly in pan, spread with topping.
Refrigerate until set.

Topping
Melt chocolate and butter together (cut both into fine chunks). I melt the two in the microwave. Be careful when melting, whisk to combine the two and check frequently that they have not over melted. It should be nice and shiny. If overdone the chocolate/butter will be horrible, you will be able to tell just by looking at it!

Enjoy, I'm sure you will!

• Love
Reactions: Xe
That sounds so simple yet delicious. Is that really all there is to it?
Absolutely, virtually dump sour cream in a bowl, add a packet of continental French onion soup, give it a good stir and there you have it. By the way another yummy 2 ingredient dip we made in the 70’s and 80’s was sour cream and corn relish. Try them and enjoy these dips never failed when we had visitors.

Reactions: Ricci
Wow, reading through all these delicious submissions has made us all terrifically hungry. We thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful recipes. Choosing a winner for this competition was extremely difficult as there were just so many delicious contenders to choose from. It seems that we have quite a few chefs in the SDC family aye?

We would like announce that the winner for the Budget Friendly Recipe competition is our beloved member @chezna! Congratulations! 🎉🎉

Now we do have an added surprise for all of you. As all of the recipes submitted were just so good, we have decided to compile them all and will be releasing them as a free eBook for all of our lovely members, so that we can all enjoy these wonderful dishes.

Once again, thank you all for your submissions, and congratulations @chezna!

Reactions: chezna and Ricci
Wow, reading through all these delicious submissions has made us all terrifically hungry. We thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful recipes. Choosing a winner for this competition was extremely difficult as there were just so many delicious contenders to choose from. It seems that we have quite a few chefs in the SDC family aye?

We would like announce that the winner for the Budget Friendly Recipe competition is our beloved member @chezna! Congratulations! 🎉🎉

Now we do have an added surprise for all of you. As all of the recipes submitted were just so good, we have decided to compile them all and will be releasing them as a free eBook for all of our lovely members, so that we can all enjoy these wonderful dishes.

Once again, thank you all for your submissions, and congratulations @chezna!
OMG! Thank you so much! This is the first thing I have ever won in my life!

Kilo of potatoes cut into thin slices
Bunch silverbeet, spinach
Polish sausage thinly sliced
Grated Tasty cheese
In a lare oiled tray, layer of potatoes, then layer of spinach, polish sausage, cheese.
Keep latering till you run out
Bake in hot oven 250c for 45min
Best way to get kids to eat spinach, with three boys never had a complaint

• Love
Reactions: Xe and Ricci