Popular electric vehicle explosion left firefighter's face burned

Electric vehicles (EVs) represent a revolutionary shift in transportation, offering numerous benefits such as reduced emissions and lower operating costs.

However, as this technology evolves, new challenges and safety considerations emerge that must be carefully addressed to ensure the well-being of users.

In the quiet early hours of a Sydney morning, a scene unfolded that has since sparked a conversation about the safety of EVs.

A firefighter suffered facial burns while courageously battling a car fire in the inner west suburb of Camperdown.

The incident happened around 4:40 am on Thursday and involved a hybrid Volvo XC40 station wagon that suddenly erupted into flames.

As the firefighter approached the vehicle and opened the car door, a flashover—a sudden and intense flame eruption—occurred, causing minor burns to his face.

unnamed (1).png
A firefighter sustained burns when an electric vehicle burst into flames. Credit: 9News Australia

The fire completely ravaged the vehicle’s interiors, leaving onlookers and safety officials deeply concerned.

‘A battery inside an electric vehicle was smouldering and heating up, then it flared up into a fire,’ Adam Dewberry of Fire Rescue New South Wales said.

‘Firefighters have knocked it down, but we have had one firefighter that has suffered some minor injuries.’

Dewberry raised concerns about the challenges associated with lithium-ion batteries.

‘Two fire trucks will remain on scene, and now we need to monitor the temperature of that battery to make sure that we keep it cool and it doesn’t go into thermal runaway, where the fire can take hold, accelerate, and blow out with explosive force,'

Paramedics treated the injured firefighter at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation before he was taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure.

You can watch the news here:

Credit: 9News Australia / YouTube

Similarly, a cordless vacuum cleaner caught fire while charging, resulting in a small fire in a New South Wales Central Coast home. More details about the incident can be found here.

Additionally, there have been reports of phone chargers catching fire; one incident resulted in a family becoming homeless. Read the full story here.

If your device is faulty and poses a fire hazard, please contact the manufacturer for assistance.
Key Takeaways
  • A firefighter who responded to a car fire suffered facial burns after a flashover.
  • The fire involved a hybrid Volvo XC40 station wagon on Ross St, Camperdown, and happened early in the morning.
  • The fire was intensified by a smouldering lithium-ion battery, leading to complications in extinguishing it.
  • The firefighter received treatment at the scene for burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to a hospital as a precaution.
What measures do you think should be taken to ensure the safety of EVs on the road? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
These so-called alternative green solutions are proving to be very hazardous for human life. All to often we are hearing about these 'FANTASTIC' batteries exploding into flame be they in phones, cars, home electrical storage and even in S.A. on their so-called green battery solution which burned for days . Surely because of the prevalence of this they should be removed from sale until the are made safe. I am sure if it was any other product the do-gooders would have banned them already. They ban items THAT MAY BE A RISK, but these that are known to be a risk, persist.

I personally know of two cases where anelectric scooter was in the garage, caught fire and burnt the house down. Another was when the electric scooter was put into the boot of the car, set fire to the car, unfortunately a person was in the car and received terrible burns to their body. These battery operated vehicles,scooters bikes etc. are so dangerous when they are in confined areas.

Not only are the batteries dangerous, but the vehicles because they are quiet come up on you so quickly that you dont' hear them as well. I have had incidences of this happening to me and I have heard, needs to be verified, that Guide Dogs and Assistance Dogs cannot hear them either. They may be the way of the future but I feel there is much more work to be done on the safety of these vehicles, scooters and the like.

I need a car upgrade & was looking for a electric vehicle. Good for the environment, cheaper on fuel they said. What hasn't been explained to us is that the batteries only last for 7-10 years. But where are we going to get rid of them! These electric cars have caused another disposable problem. Tesla & the other electric vehicle makers have only though about their profits not solutions.

The arse is falling out of the EV market big time. Date of publication - 16 May 2024.

Some brands are heavily discounting their EVs to keep sales buoyant with temporary deals like $10,000 off the brand-new Renault Megane E-Tech, $15,000 off the Polestar 2, $15,000 off the Nissan LEAF, $25,000 off the Peugeot e-2008 and almost $50,000 off the new Lotus Eletre SUV.

So the resale value of vehicles purchased before heavy discounting was introduced will be extremely poor. Bad luck you gullible fools, thinking you are doing your little bit to "save the planet". If it doesn't catch on fire first! Think of the emissions caused by these fires? Oh the irony...

Source: https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/australias-ev-sales-boom-falters-145948/

it makes me laugh when EV owners say how cheap it it to run their new car.. None of these people take into consideration how they $20.000 or more to buy it and the immediated devaluation of up to $20.000. My ICE car over 7 years hasn't even cost anywhere near the $40.000 plus they wasted buying their EV. None of them consider the fact that building EV's uses 65% more emissions then that of an ICE car. If they are recharging from Coal powered stations they creating more emissions so they haven't done themselves or the enviroment and favors. Real smart.

it makes me laugh when EV owners say how cheap it it to run their new car.. None of these people take into consideration how they $20.000 or more to buy it and the immediated devaluation of up to $20.000. My ICE car over 7 years hasn't even cost anywhere near the $40.000 plus they wasted buying their EV. None of them consider the fact that building EV's uses 65% more emissions then that of an ICE car. If they are recharging from Coal powered stations they creating more emissions so they haven't done themselves or the enviroment and favors. Real smart.
Not to mention that places in which lithium ore is mined, such as Colombia and Chile, farmers are having their livelihood and ability to supply the public with foodstuffs taken away by the mining monoliths.

The reason is NOT by acquiring their land. Something more sinister. Since lithium mining requires ridiculous amounts of water, in fact many megalitres per day, the water table in affected areas has dropped significantly so as to deny the farmer access to such a resource.

Source: https://www.mining-technology.com/a...mining-negative-environmental-impact/?cf-view

Reactions: Liz and Bezz
There are arguments aplenty both for and against EVs. I am a retired theoretical physicist who started out as a mechatronic engineer. I have watched the development of EVs with great interest and been amazed at how quickly they appeared on the market. This is my opinion only but I have serious concerns about that. The problems needing priority attention as I see it include:
1. The lifespan of batteries.
2. Disposal of said batteries.
3. Charge time of said batteries.
4. Safety of said batteries and materials used therein.
5. Awareness of the presence of EVs on the road due to silent operation.
6. Weight of EVs.
7. Depreciation and re-salability of EVs.
8. Travel range between charges.
9. Ability to tow trailers, caravans etc and negotiate steep grades.
10 Vulnerability of battery in a collision.

It is my belief that the current EV technology was released without sufficient consideration of the above as well as some other more advanced technical risks. The competition and pressure to get EVs on the market has brought about a release of a somewhat immature technology that should have had more development time prior to going to market. As already stated, my opinion only.

There are arguments aplenty both for and against EVs. I am a retired theoretical physicist who started out as a mechatronic engineer. I have watched the development of EVs with great interest and been amazed at how quickly they appeared on the market. This is my opinion only but I have serious concerns about that. The problems needing priority attention as I see it include:
1. The lifespan of batteries.
2. Disposal of said batteries.
3. Charge time of said batteries.
4. Safety of said batteries and materials used therein.
5. Awareness of the presence of EVs on the road due to silent operation.
6. Weight of EVs.
7. Depreciation and re-salability of EVs.
8. Travel range between charges.
9. Ability to tow trailers, caravans etc and negotiate steep grades.
10 Vulnerability of battery in a collision.

It is my belief that the current EV technology was released without sufficient consideration of the above as well as some other more advanced technical risks. The competition and pressure to get EVs on the market has brought about a release of a somewhat immature technology that should have had more development time prior to going to market. As already stated, my opinion only.
Great information, my husband is a electrician. He has been researching them for awhile more so when I piped up I wanted one with the cost of fuel going up & up. There definitely hasn't enough thought gone into them being mass produced, regardless the impacts to our environment making them just to make huge profits like anything they have gone down in price. in a few years they won't be able to give them away!

There is no way I would buy an electric car, for one thing they are to expensive, and dangerous, they should be band, to many life's are in danger.

Reactions: I'm Mal
The arse is falling out of the EV market big time. Date of publication - 16 May 2024.

Some brands are heavily discounting their EVs to keep sales buoyant with temporary deals like $10,000 off the brand-new Renault Megane E-Tech, $15,000 off the Polestar 2, $15,000 off the Nissan LEAF, $25,000 off the Peugeot e-2008 and almost $50,000 off the new Lotus Eletre SUV.

So the resale value of vehicles purchased before heavy discounting was introduced will be extremely poor. Bad luck you gullible fools, thinking you are doing your little bit to "save the planet". If it doesn't catch on fire first! Think of the emissions caused by these fires? Oh the irony...

Source: https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/australias-ev-sales-boom-falters-145948/
Not only emissions caused by the fires, but also right from the beginning in the mining of cadmium and other metals to make the batteries, but then also the burning of fossil fuels to generate the electricity for the power up stations & the vehicles themselves, the list is endless, but ignorance rules the day especially amongst the politicians and their parties. God save the planet all right!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
It’s pretty precarious owning an EV, not sure they are trustworthy enough atm. Pretty scary to think you have one parked in your garage close to your family, bit nerve racking going to bed at night hoping the battery is not going to catch alight. Once alight they are pretty hard to extinguish, scary stuff.

Reactions: relljube