Homeowner's nightmare: Popular vacuum combusts, prompting fire hazard warnings

In a shocking incident that has left many homeowners on edge, a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner burst into flames while charging inside a residential unit in Swansea, on the NSW Central Coast.

The incident, which occurred around 1 pm on Sunday, 11 February, has raised serious questions about the safety of these popular household appliances.

According to a report by Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW), the vacuum cleaner's Lithium-Ion battery was the culprit, igniting and causing the fire to spread to a second vacuum cleaner stored nearby. The resident, who was cooking in the next room, was alerted to the fire by the smoke alarm.

Thanks to the alarm, the homeowner and their neighbours were able to respond quickly, removing both vacuums from the unit and extinguishing the fire with water.

dyson.jpg
A popular Dyson vacuum burst into flames in a NSW home. Credit: FRNSW

FRNSW crews from Swansea, Belmont, Tingira Heights and Wallarah were then dispatched to the scene, where they ventilated the unit and placed the battery in a bucket of water to prevent re-ignition.

The fire caused minor damage to the unit, but thankfully, no one was injured.

In the wake of this incident, FRNSW has issued a public warning to remain vigilant around Lithium-Ion batteries, especially when they're charging.

They also stressed the importance of having at least one working smoke alarm in every home.

‘Ensure your home is fitted with at least one working smoke alarm and maintain a home safety escape plan,’ they said in their report.

The FRNSW also provided further guidelines for handling Lithium-Ion batteries in electronics and other portable devices. You may find them here.

Meanwhile, Dyson, the manufacturer of the vacuum cleaner, has yet to comment on the matter.

When a Lithium-Ion battery fails, it can lead to a phenomenon known as 'thermal runaway'. When this type of battery overheats, it produces a chemical reaction that creates even more heat inside the battery cell, which could potentially catch fire or explode. This can be triggered by physical damage, short-circuiting, overcharging, or exposure to extreme temperatures.

While incidents like the one in Swansea are relatively rare, they serve as a stark reminder of the potential dangers associated with these batteries. It's crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions when charging devices and to avoid leaving them charging unattended or overnight.

Key Takeaways
  • A Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner caught fire while charging, causing a small fire in a home on the NSW Central Coast.
  • The incident occurred around 1 pm on Sunday and was contained after the vacuums were removed and the fire extinguished with water.
  • FRNSW attended the scene, ventilating the unit and ensuring the battery was cooled to prevent re-ignition.
  • FRNSW issued a warning to be vigilant with Lithium-Ion batteries, particularly while charging, and highlighted the importance of working smoke alarms and a home safety escape plan.
  • When a Lithium-Ion battery overheats, it could lead to a phenomenon called ‘thermal runaway’, which produces a chemical reaction that could potentially lead to fires.
Have you experienced similar issues with your household appliances? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Wow, i was only just saying yesterday that I needed to take my dyson off the charger. It is something I usually do due to Lithium battery problems but sometimes I forget to do it. Will have to be more careful.

These lithium batteries should be banned as they are a definite fire hazard, you only have to see the number of incidences involving them, lives have been lost and damage has been done but they are still out there in all sorts of devices. When devices are fully charged, take them off charge. Don't leave chargers on when you are out. I wonder how all the little round automatic vacs will go because the vac then return to their chargers which probably run on lithium batteries? How many electric scooter have gone up in smoke and taken people with them, cars catching fire...

I'd like to know if it was an original Dyson Battery or an after market replacement that was at fault
I have a non Dyson battery apart from the Dyson name every word,number and details on it are exactly the same. And it's lasted longer,also turn charging off when blue light goes off

I have two Dyson vacuum cleaners [on charge all the time] and have had them for many years without any problems. Never ever thought about the batteries catching fire. Maybe a short circuit?? The Dyson chargers turn them selves off once the battery is charged and the light goes off... No Light = NO Charge - so You can leave them on all the time.... 68autobug Bugbuyer

Last edited:
Root cause - product made in China and there is no QA control for I imported electrical items

Don't have a Dyson but wonder whether my stick vac has a lithium battery. Never thought of turning it off.
Also units from 4 different areas attended the scene. Bit of overkill.

Reactions: VK2LEE
Don't have a Dyson but wonder whether my stick vac has a lithium battery. Never thought of turning it off.
Also units from 4 different areas attended the scene. Bit of overkill.
I believe every brigade that goes, gets paid... so that is why there is always a lot of fire engines... I believe.