Phone charger sparks flames in rental property; leaves family homeless

As we embrace the digital age with open arms, our reliance on mobile devices has become integral to our daily lives.

The convenience of staying connected, informed, and entertained is undeniable.

However, with this convenience comes a responsibility to be aware of the potential hazards associated with our gadgets.

A family of four in Adelaide experienced a harrowing event as flames engulfed their residence, leading to a total loss.

The suspected culprit? A faulty extension lead was used to charge a phone on a bed.

This tragic event unfolded on a quiet Tuesday evening in Aberfoyle Park as firefighters rushed to the scene of the rental property.

compressed-pexels-markusspiske-216369.jpeg
Charging phones in flat surfaces is crucial, as charging devices in soft and plush surfaces can trigger overheating and fires. Image Credit: Pexels/Markus Spiske

The family and their pets escaped the inferno that claimed their home and possessions.

Shelly Hudson received a frantic call from her daughter around 8 pm and alerted her of the disaster.

The household had experienced a power outage—and the flames followed shortly after.

While investigating the fuse box, one member discovered a bed in flames—a mark of the beginning of their nightmare.

The damage to the Hudson family's home is estimated at a staggering $600,000, with their daughter losing all their belongings.

'It's absolutely devastating,' she recounted.

Neighbours reported that the entire house was consumed by fire within minutes of seeing smoke.

South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service Community Engagement Manager Gavin Allen expressed relief about the family's safety.

He also reiterated the importance of vigilance when charging electronic devices.

'The MFS recommends that any power cords or electrical device being used have adequate ventilation, don't lay them across any combustible items such as your bed, rug or carpets. Don't cover them up.'

The MFS also recommended installing interconnected 240V photoelectric smoke alarms throughout their homes, including living areas, bedrooms, and garages.

These alarms should be tested monthly, cleaned of dust build-up every six months, and replaced every ten years to ensure functionality.

As we continue to enjoy the benefits of modern technology, let's not forget the simple yet crucial steps we can take to protect ourselves and our loved ones:
  1. Always charge your devices on a hard, flat surface and ventilated areas.
  2. Avoid charging devices on beds, sofas, or soft furnishings that can catch fire.
  3. Regularly inspect your charging cables and extension leads for signs of damage. Replace them if necessary.
  4. Invest in high-quality charging equipment from reputable manufacturers to reduce the risk of electrical faults.
  5. Install and maintain smoke alarms per fire authorities' recommendations.
In a related story, a mum found her iPhone charger on fire after it had sparked and started a small fire on her rug.

Apple's iPhone user guide states the devices should only be charged with compliant cables from Apple or third parties, warning that others may pose a risk.
Key Takeaways

• A family was left homeless after their house caught fire caused by a faulty extension lead used.
  • Fire investigators pinpointed the fire's origin to the bed where the phone was charging, highlighting the risks of improper charging practices.
  • The fire resulted in an estimated $600,000 worth of damage, with one member losing all possessions.
  • The Metropolitan Fire Service emphasised the importance of safe charging, advised against laying power cords across combustible items, and recommended homeowners install smoke alarms for safety.
Have you taken any specific measures to ensure safe charging practices in your home? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
And check that your cables are okay. One of mine started to get a bit warm so it was disposed of very quickly, but not before my husband had chopped it in half. Teds very vigilant about electric cards & chargers. I don’t want false alarms on the smoke alarms as one of them will call the fire brigade.

Very sad. I always put a metal tray in the bedrooms when the grandkids stay with instructions if they charge phones etc they must do it on the tray, not on the bed anywhere. There are bedside tables the tray sits on, which are moved away from the bed when charging. I charge all my devices in the family area on a hard flat metal surface and keep an eye on them and switch chargers off as soon as the charge is complete. I unplug all chargers not in use.

Far too many people take charging devices for granted because they are low voltage.
its not hard or inconvenient to spend an extra minute or two to be cautious And follow the safety instructions that originally were included with the device, and using a little bit of common sense can prevent disastrous consequences.

I would never leave any device to charge overnight. I always make sure there is nothing touching the cable except the device itself and the socket into which it is plugged. I do not plug anything in to charge unless I am there to watch it as I am terrified of fire of any kind. If the power goes off I always unplug everything and don't plug them in until I know the power is back on.

Reading through the article, it does mention that the house had suffered a power failure, which indicates that the circuit breaker or breakers had automatically activated and cut off the power supply, but unfortunately the charging device had already got hot enough and given that it was left onto something that was easily flammable, the fire started. I cannot emphasise enough the importance of reading the safety instructions that accompany any item, be it a simple charging device as in this case, or a power tool, vacuum cleaner, coffeemaker, anything. The first two or three pages of an instruction manual are covered with safety instructions, read them carefully, they have been printed there for a very good reason, combined with a little bit of commonsense avoids serious disastrous consequences.