Popular deli buy at Woolies leaves QLD grandmother with third-degree burns: “It just exploded”

WARNING: Distressing images

One grandmother has claimed that a popular deli buy from Woolworths “exploded” while she was making dinner, which left her with third-degree burns all over her forearm.

Angela from Queensland said she has been a regular buyer of the supermarket’s Bag N Bake fish products, but this was the first time an incident like this had happened to her.

nBGUcmby80uLK4s5UsERw8brTv_yjIrU7ho7XsYAHM5cmYfJN_iTwagadF2XTZiUbUZ1JXrUdB_Rl6xXC-orcfWU6Bx7bexfAp7VCju0hPFvoOD_wZ9_2Xpg0x7_FPWocc9tskHA

Bag & Bake is only available in selected Woolworths stores nationwide. Credit: Facebook.
Woolworths’ Bag N Bake was first launched in early 2021 and is a seafood concept available in their supermarkets that allows customers to choose their own fish fillet and a free marinade sauce.

Then, staffers pack it in a ready-to-cook oven-proof bag provided at the store. All that’s left is for customers to pop it in the oven for a quick and easy meal.

On February 14, Angela was preparing dinner for her family when the unexpected incident happened, which has now left her with a very noticeable scar on her arm.

Thinking that a bag of fish fillet from Woolies sounds great for dinner that night, she popped one in the oven and waited until it finished cooking. However, she never expected what came next.

Just as she was about to remove the bag from the oven, the whole packet suddenly exploded. And since the bag had just finished cooking, the sizzling hot sauce inside burst out and ran down Angela’s arm.

“It was so, so painful,” she said.

y-k2VMud5ljkXt2UPFmqMmUlbEwTnk2su0rPv8RdWLXhWPq3pTu0cXaXnFOAaVuMnQNcwheLGRQK-VhgEC8LzmtofboUbmvDQIoZDCJsqwcGM8J8VTIu4Ac_GC2Xu2UKZBLUkMmm

A popular deli item has left a grandmother in “incredible pain” from third-degree burns after it “exploded” in her kitchen. Credit: 7News.com.au.
Angela immediately ran her hand under running water and put burn cream on to treat the injury. The next day, she went to a doctor who identified her injury as third-degree burns.

“He put all this cream on it, non-stick gauze on it and then triple wrapped it so it would stay moist the whole time,” she said. “I had to go back and get it re-dressed and cleaned every two days for about two weeks.”

Angela said the burn injury has been extremely difficult to deal with, and she found it hard to manage her usual daily routines. Burn injuries must be kept dry to avoid infection, so the grandmother had to wear rubber gloves every time she took a shower.

Adding to that, she was also left with a massive scar on her arm. “That scar won’t go away now. And it’s on an area of my arm where I can’t hide it.”

After the incident, Angela alleged that she received a “bad batch” of the Bag N Bake bag from Woolworths, which may have caused it to explode in the oven.

“It’s an oven-proof bag, it’s meant to go in the oven,” she said. “There was obviously something wrong with that bag.”

She also expressed concerns about the safety of people nearby, nothing her grandchild frequently keeps close to her every time she cooks dinner.

“It didn’t just spill on me, it spilled on the floor as well. If there was a child close by, and they’re lower than us, imagine if that had got them in the face or something?”

“My grandbaby stays with us twice a week - she’s always helping me and is close by saying ‘Let me see how you do it?’”

“What would’ve happened if there was a child nearby?”

Now, she’s warning other shoppers of the dangers of Woolies’ Bag N Bake and is hoping that the supermarket has already taken action to remove that bad batch of bags.

Woolworths Australia has responded to the claims and has already been in contact with the concerned shopper.

“Woolworths came back to me 10 minutes after I told them about the incident, and have asked me to put in a claim. There’s no hiding,” Angela said.

“I don’t think there was any malice from Woolworths, I honestly don’t.”

“But now that they’ve been made aware, they have hopefully removed that batch of bags or had that batch checked.”

Woolworths has received no other reports similar to this, and Angela’s case is at present believed to be an isolated incident.

If you ever find yourself in an emergency situation like Angela, watch this video below to learn about appropriate first aid steps for dealing with burns:

Credit: SAFE STEPS.

Sponsored
Ahem ... "so it would stay moist the whole time"; "Burn injuries must be kept dry". Two different statements. Something not quite explained there?

Reactions: Mummette and Ricci
Ahem ... "so it would stay moist the whole time"; "Burn injuries must be kept dry". Two different statements. Something not quite explained there?
That is what I thought too but recently my son came off his bike and had huge scrapes and skin taken off. the doctor who treated him said he had to keep it all covered to keep it moist and didn't want any scabs to form. I queried this and was told I'm out of touch, scabs are so old school. His injuries healed scar free so maybe there's something in it.:confused:

I have never seen these bags in my local woolies but I don't think I'll be searching them out any time soon.;)

It's not really incongruent. The actual damaged skin has to be kept moist, which is achieved by the moisture retaining dressing.
This dressing is what has to be kept dry.....under the shower it needs to be protected, it can't get wet while washing dishes or hosing the garden etc.
Hope this explains the mystery.

Last edited:
Popular deli buy at Woolies leaves QLD grandmother with third-degree burns: “It just exploded”

One grandmother has claimed that a popular deli buy from Woolworths “exploded” while she was making dinner, which left her with third-degree burns all over her forearm.

Angela from Queensland said she has been a regular buyer of the supermarket’s Bag N Bake fish products, but this was the first time an incident like this had happened to her.

nBGUcmby80uLK4s5UsERw8brTv_yjIrU7ho7XsYAHM5cmYfJN_iTwagadF2XTZiUbUZ1JXrUdB_Rl6xXC-orcfWU6Bx7bexfAp7VCju0hPFvoOD_wZ9_2Xpg0x7_FPWocc9tskHA

Bag & Bake is only available in selected Woolworths stores nationwide. Credit: Facebook.
Woolworths’ Bag N Bake was first launched in early 2021 and is a seafood concept available in their supermarkets that allows customers to choose their own fish fillet and a free marinade sauce.

Then, staffers pack it in a ready-to-cook oven-proof bag provided at the store. All that’s left is for customers to pop it in the oven for a quick and easy meal.

On February 14, Angela was preparing dinner for her family when the unexpected incident happened, which has now left her with a very noticeable scar on her arm.

Thinking that a bag of fish fillet from Woolies sounds great for dinner that night, she popped one in the oven and waited until it finished cooking. However, she never expected what came next.

Just as she was about to remove the bag from the oven, the whole packet suddenly exploded. And since the bag had just finished cooking, the sizzling hot sauce inside burst out and ran down Angela’s arm.

y-k2VMud5ljkXt2UPFmqMmUlbEwTnk2su0rPv8RdWLXhWPq3pTu0cXaXnFOAaVuMnQNcwheLGRQK-VhgEC8LzmtofboUbmvDQIoZDCJsqwcGM8J8VTIu4Ac_GC2Xu2UKZBLUkMmm

A popular deli item has left a grandmother in “incredible pain” from third-degree burns after it “exploded” in her kitchen. Credit: 7News.com.au.
Angela immediately ran her hand under running water and put burn cream on to treat the injury. The next day, she went to a doctor who identified her injury as third-degree burns.

“He put all this cream on it, non-stick gauze on it and then triple wrapped it so it would stay moist the whole time,” she said. “I had to go back and get it re-dressed and cleaned every two days for about two weeks.”

Angela said the burn injury has been extremely difficult to deal with, and she found it hard to manage her usual daily routines. Burn injuries must be kept dry to avoid infection, so the grandmother had to wear rubber gloves every time she took a shower.

Adding to that, she was also left with a massive scar on her arm. “That scar won’t go away now. And it’s on an area of my arm where I can’t hide it.”

After the incident, Angela alleged that she received a “bad batch” of the Bag N Bake bag from Woolworths, which may have caused it to explode in the oven.

“It’s an oven-proof bag, it’s meant to go in the oven,” she said. “There was obviously something wrong with that bag.”

She also expressed concerns about the safety of people nearby, nothing her grandchild frequently keeps close to her every time she cooks dinner.

“It didn’t just spill on me, it spilled on the floor as well. If there was a child close by, and they’re lower than us, imagine if that had got them in the face or something?”

“My grandbaby stays with us twice a week - she’s always helping me and is close by saying ‘Let me see how you do it?’”

Now, she’s warning other shoppers of the dangers of Woolies’ Bag N Bake and is hoping that the supermarket has already taken action to remove that bad batch of bags.

Woolworths Australia has responded to the claims and has already been in contact with the concerned shopper.

“Woolworths came back to me 10 minutes after I told them about the incident, and have asked me to put in a claim. There’s no hiding,” Angela said.

“But now that they’ve been made aware, they have hopefully removed that batch of bags or had that batch checked.”

Woolworths has received no other reports similar to this, and Angela’s case is at present believed to be an isolated incident.

If you ever find yourself in an emergency situation like Angela, watch this video below to learn about appropriate first aid steps for dealing with burns:

I must admit I have never bought this product. But I use to buy frozen veggies in a pack to microwave, but after a few close calls...I decided it was unsafe. So I am back to cooking the 'old way' !!

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
The actual burn area must be kept moist with the "cream" the Dr applied BUT the outer dressing must bet kept dry. Poorly worded but it does make sense. I fail to see how wearing rubber gloves in the shower would have achieved the desired out come...better to wrap the arm in cling wrap and tape each end thus leaving the fingers free. Good idea for a burnt arm/leg is to put the limb in a plastic bag ( bread bags are good for kids_) then tape each end with sticky tape multiple layers.
This would have been a difficult injury to cope with witness anyone who has cut their finger and everything one touches hurts or is in the way. I just looked back and saw someone else also answered this questions.
I too will not be using these bags I think this maybe why the original oven bags lost popularity, because if you forget to prick them they also explode/.

I feel sorry for the lady but nothing was mentioned about the conditions of use, i.e. the temperature of the microwave setting and the length of time the bag was subjected to high temperature. There are several products on the market which require cooking at a certain temperature, in a microwave with a certain wattage level, for a designated time, and for post-cooking rest prior to opening the packet. An "explosive" event is quite possible if instructions and common sense are not followed.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
I feel sorry for the lady but nothing was mentioned about the conditions of use, i.e. the temperature of the microwave setting and the length of time the bag was subjected to high temperature. There are several products on the market which require cooking at a certain temperature, in a microwave with a certain wattage level, for a designated time, and for post-cooking rest prior to opening the packet. An "explosive" event is quite possible if instructions and common sense are not followed.
There was no mention of a microwave in the article. A microwave and an oven are two distinctly different appliances. Yes, there would be specific instructions and warnings for the handling procedures. We need to carefully read the article

I applaud Woollies for responding so quickly

There was no mention of a microwave in the article. A microwave and an oven are two distinctly different appliances. Yes, there would be specific instructions and warnings for the handling procedures. We need to carefully read the article
Robbo, Ever heated a packet of food in an oven? Do you like the taste of plastic? Common sense to assume that the packaged food was intended to be heated by a microwave and not an oven!

Reactions: Ricci
Robbo, Ever heated a packet of food in an oven? Do you like the taste of plastic? Common sense to assume that the packaged food was intended to be heated by a microwave and not an oven!
As I said, we need to carefully read the article...... The article did not mention that it was in a microwave.
Yes, I have heated a packet of food in the oven without any taste of plastic.
Again hdhensel, pay attention to the detail. The packaging for this product shows that it is OVEN AND MICROWAVE READY.
Should have gone to Specsavers!
Have a lovely day

Reactions: Ricci