Popular bakery reverses controversial cashless policy after public outcry

In the bustling streets of Perth, where the aroma of freshly baked bread and the clinking of coffee cups are a daily symphony, a popular bakery chain found itself at the centre of a heated debate.

Mary Street Bakery, a well-known cafe with five locations across the city, made a bold move during the pandemic to go cashless, citing time-saving benefits and a nod to the increasing digitalisation of commerce.

However, this decision was met with a swift and vocal backlash from the community it served.

The bakery's owner, Paul Aron, quickly learned that while technological advancements can streamline operations, they can also inadvertently exclude valued patrons.

The push to go cashless, initially seen as a modern step forward, turned into a stumbling block as customers voiced their discontent, some even resorting to verbal abuse towards staff over the policy.

Screenshot 2024-06-07 073603.png
A popular cafe in Perth decided to accept cash again after customer backlash. Image source: @mary_street_bakery/Instagram

'I also realised over time that it is difficult for some people not to use cash, and I don't want to alienate any of our customers,' Mr Aron explained.

This realisation prompted a U-turn on the cashless policy, reinstating the acceptance of notes and coins to ensure inclusivity for all customers, regardless of their preferred payment method.

The return to traditional currency was not without its challenges. The bakery had to navigate the logistics of processing daily cash takings in an era where bank branches are becoming increasingly scarce.

Mr Aron stated: ‘It's time that it takes for our stores to count cash in the morning, in the afternoon and when they close, and it's the time it takes my accounting team to reconcile seven cash drawers and to figure out unders and overs, and the closure of bank branches is making it really hard to bank.’

'It's quite an expense and a bit of a pain, actually, but my overarching sentiment is that I was happy to bring it back because it's about making sure everyone who wants to come can come—and about protecting my staff,' he explained.

This local story echoes a national conversation about the role of cash in Australian society.

Independent federal MPs Andrew Gee, Bob Katter, and Dai Le introduced the Keeping Cash Transactions in Australia bill to parliament, underscoring the importance of maintaining cash as a viable payment option.

The proposed legislation aims to ensure that businesses in 'face-to-face settings' accept cash payments up to $10,000, with significant penalties for non-compliance.

Under the bill, individuals could be fined up to $5,000 and businesses up to $25,000, with an exemption only for security reasons.

The bill's proponents argued that it is 'crucial in protecting the availability and acceptance of cash payments across the nation,' recognising that while digital payments offer convenience, they should not come at the cost of accessibility and choice.

As we navigate the complexities of a rapidly evolving economy, stories like these highlight the enduring value of cash and the need for businesses to remain adaptable and attuned to the diverse needs of their community.
Key Takeaways
  • Mary Street Bakery, a popular cafe chain in Perth, reversed its decision to go cashless following customer backlash.
  • The bakery had originally stopped using cash during the pandemic to save time but decided to accept cash again due to the difficulty some customers faced and to prevent staff abuse.
  • Returning to cash transactions presented challenges, including accounting for daily takings and banking issues due to the closure of bank branches.
  • New legislation, known as the Keeping Cash Transactions in Australia bill, has been introduced to parliament requiring businesses to accept cash payments up to $10,000, with penalties for non-compliance.
So, dear members, we invite you to share your thoughts on this matter. Have you faced similar situations where cashless policies have affected your shopping experience? Do you welcome the convenience of digital payments, or do you believe there's still a place for cash in our wallets? Join the conversation and let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
In the mid north coast town of Nabiac, NSW, on the Pacific Highway, there is an extremely popular stop-over. They sell all inhouse made produce. They breed their own wagu cattle which you can see grazing on the way back paddocks which are used in their inhouse produce. It's a totally incredible situation. We often go there for the sheer experience of totally enjoying the cuisine. They too, are "Cashless". I give them a "AAA+" rating on everything.

It doesn't really worry us having to use the credit card on purchases at their establishment. But, I fully agree that cash has to remain the extremely & most important way of life.

In the mid north coast town of Nabiac, NSW, on the Pacific Highway, there is an extremely popular stop-over. They sell all inhouse made produce. They breed their own wagu cattle which you can see grazing on the way back paddocks which are used in their inhouse produce. It's a totally incredible situation. We often go there for the sheer experience of totally enjoying the cuisine. They too, are "Cashless". I give them a "AAA+" rating on everything.

It doesn't really worry us having to use the credit card on purchases at their establishment. But, I fully agree that cash has to remain the extremely & most important way of life.
Do you voice your opposition to them not accepting cash, while quietly tapping your card?

Reactions: paulamc52
Do you voice your opposition to them not accepting cash, while quietly tapping your card?
No! One reason they are going cashless is bcz the kids they employ CANNOT COUNT!! Remember when your change was POLITELY given to you and COUNTED as they placed it in your hand? When was the last time that occurred? Now, cash is just dumped in yr hand, and you are left to work out exactly how much they just gave you from what you paid for yr item!
It is sheer LAZINESS and INCOMPETENCE. This is another appalling result from overpaid incompetent teachers, and the failure of “shopkeepers” to ensure manners and respect are part of their core business strategy.

No! One reason they are going cashless is bcz the kids they employ CANNOT COUNT!! Remember when your change was POLITELY given to you and COUNTED as they placed it in your hand? When was the last time that occurred? Now, cash is just dumped in yr hand, and you are left to work out exactly how much they just gave you from what you paid for yr item!
It is sheer LAZINESS and INCOMPETENCE. This is another appalling result from overpaid incompetent teachers, and the failure of “shopkeepers” to ensure manners and respect are part of their core business strategy.
I was quite surprised the other day when my change was counted back to me at the servo. Mind you she wasn't a kid.

I have had tap and go facility removed from my cards. It is possible.
If their is a card only policy , l look for another vendor.
Have ordered in a couple of stores ,then told it's card only, have rejected product and walked out.
Even had one store capitulate and sell it cheaper for cash.
This operator has seen sense.

Ha ha ha ... aint that the truth....when I got my first job there were no cash registers... everything was written in a daily book and a receipt for the customer and the change was counted back to the customer. The book had to balance at the end of the day or the shortfall came out of your next pay packet.... the youngsters of today have got it so good.

WOW! Get out the Andrews Liver Salts.

Sick of hearing about the enormous costs incurred by businesses accepting cash. In my many years in retail, I found that collating the many EFTPOS merchant copies and reconciling them with the daily merchant summary was more time consuming than counting the days cash receipts, deducting the float(s) and bagging the cash to bank the next day. Also, when dealing in cash, the customer pays for the goods or service and receives a receipt or docket, transaction finalised. EFTPOS receipts have to be retained by the merchant for months. If they are not retained, the customer can action a charge back and claim that they have been charged for something they didn't purchase.
However I do agree that the disappearance of Bank Branches does create a new set of problems. Why do we mere mortals have to constantly complicate things 🙄

store owners have got it all wrong...copy the experts at conning the public "the banks and the oil companies" Remember STAN THE MAN'...a few cents off for pumping your own gas, some did and some didn't BUT in the end we got used to it then the others fell in line and goodbye the few cents off and goodbye STAN and now we pump our own gas and pay the increased price....works every time. Banks are the experts at screwing the public, and frankly we deserve it...we let them

There should always be a place for cash. I find it amazing the owner of this bakery is complaining about cashing up at the end of the day. Unreal, what about the good old days where it was cash only. He soon learnt people would not bother coming to his business if it is card only.
I am sorry his staff were abused no place for that. You make your point by just not going there.
Wake up business owners, there will always be a place for cash transactions.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I have had tap and go facility removed from my cards. It is possible.
If their is a card only policy , l look for another vendor.
Have ordered in a couple of stores ,then told it's card only, have rejected product and walked out.
Even had one store capitulate and sell it cheaper for cash.
This operator has seen sense.
But you still have a card?? What is that for, pray tell?

It may be inconvenient for shop owners to count and bank their cash but a lot of people don’t like being told what they can or can’t do in relation to every day choices And some have an aversion to using cards or don’t feel confident. Not only that Banks depend on money being deposited and have a duty to be readily available for their clients who pay their wages👎🔆

Sick of hearing about the enormous costs incurred by businesses accepting cash. In my many years in retail, I found that collating the many EFTPOS merchant copies and reconciling them with the daily merchant summary was more time consuming than counting the days cash receipts, deducting the float(s) and bagging the cash to bank the next day. Also, when dealing in cash, the customer pays for the goods or service and receives a receipt or docket, transaction finalised. EFTPOS receipts have to be retained by the merchant for months. If they are not retained, the customer can action a charge back and claim that they have been charged for something they didn't purchase.
However I do agree that the disappearance of Bank Branches does create a new set of problems. Why do we mere mortals have to constantly complicate things 🙄
Hear hear! Well said