Which years of your life were the happiest?

• 0-10

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • 11-19

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • 20's

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • 30's

Votes: 42 29.2%
  • 40's

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 50's

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • 60's

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • 70's

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 80's

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 90+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
20’s. During school all I wanted to be was a teacher. I studied hard to finish the course in 1984 with very little support emotionally & financially graduating officially in May 1985 to my great delight. After the mandatory health check we were discouraged to learn it would take many years before we received a placement as the list of available teachers waiting to be employed was extremely long.
So, I decided I would look for a job, any job to support myself in the meantime. In the local paper I saw the Whale Car Wash were advertising for a cashier. I did not have any experience with cash registers as during college I had worked as a waitress at the Pizza Hut, however, I was willing to give it a go so boarded the next bus to the site. It was a busy Saturday when I was greeted by the current cashier a lovely women who went to enormous lengths to show me the ropes before introducing me to “the boss”. After exchanging a few words to my great surprise he offered me the position which I gladly accepted. While working as a cashier at “The Whale” as they called it, I spied a typewriter in the corner of the office. After gaining permission to use it in my lunch hours, I typed letters to every private school in Sydney to let them know while I was enjoying my time at ‘the whale’ it was a teaching job I really wanted. With all my heart (I did not write that in my application but hopefully my passion came through!). After posting an armful of mail, I forgot about my lunchtime antics over the past week as the chance of receiving a reply (except to acknowledge my efforts) was remote.
One week later, on the way home from the car wash I had one of those unexplainable moments you hear about, where somehow I knew there was an important letter for me waiting in the mail box. Not imagining what it could be, I ran all the way home until I reached my destination & there it was, an invitation for an interview at a small private school called Claremont in Randwick. After completing the interview I overheard the secretary say to the principal “they are all (all candidates) nice. It’s going to be hard to choose”. Well it just so happened that the principal had a daughter with the same Christian name as me and after marriage the same sir name so years later I discovered she had also said to her secretary “ this is too much of a coincidence let’s go with that one”.
The rest is history as they say. From Claremont I went on to teach at Kambala Girls’ School, St Andrews Cathedral school & Newington College. To say my years at Claremont & Kambala were bliss would be an understatement. I was practically floating, the joy I felt was…well there are no words to describe such happiness. One day in my 20’s I woke up & said to myself ”you are living the dream”. I still have to pinch myself when I think of those days - where one day I was living the ordinary & the next the extraordinary.

You can't choose. There are ups and downsat every age throughout life whether you are happily married or not. So choose now. You are alive, you got out of bed this morning, you had something to eat, the sun is shining somewhere, you have enough to live on and you have a roof over your head. What else do you want? You have all you need! Remember those who don't and be happy.

• Love
Reactions: Joy G
I voted 80 even though I’m 71 Yet to find a happy stage in my life . Hoping by 80 I find one🤪🙏

Poll: Which years of your life were the happiest?

Happy Sunday, members!

Today, we're curious about what you consider the happiest years of your life. You don't need to explain your choice, but if you'd like to, we'd love to hear from you in the comments.

Perhaps you were happiest in your childhood, running amuck before technology took over. Some of you will consider those first years as parents as the best (but hardest) years. Maybe you're in your golden years of happiness now.

We're looking forward to seeing the results!
I had to wait 40 years before I could return to Australia. I wish I had applied for citizenship then! These current years are the happiest I have ever known in my entire life.

Reactions: Kawi
I picked the 70's but I have had such a wonderful life sure there have been hard times and mistakes I've made a few but the very best year of my life has been this last one at 76 this time last year I found my Birth sibling all twelve of them and even got to meet some of them in June and have spoken to many of the the others. The thing that I cherish most is that I got to speak to my eldest brother before he passed away on Friday.

I picked the 60s because mainly we owned our home had no debts and had raised a couple of fantastic kids had 6 grandchildren and became Great Grandparents for the first time ----we also became Grey Nomads and travelled around Australia for the next 22 years visiting family who now lived in every state except for the NT ---but i do miss the Sunday roasts at Mum and Dads when the whole family got together unfornatutely when Dad passed away and the shipyards took their home that all ended sadly those days are long gone

My formative years were spent in England during WWII with nightly air-raids, blackouts, masks and bombings. Being a sickly child I was evacuated into the country and visits from mum were rare as dad was fighting and she was raising two other siblings one year older than me and one younger,. The years after the war were poverty stricken - we had powdered potatoes (POM) powdered eggs powdered milk and no fresh fruit. We all had ration books - 2 ozs of sweets per week for children. When we left school and found a job our wages were handed to mum and dad for the general upkeep of our rented home - I got 5 shilling a week pocket money. Only when I got engaged was I allowed to keep my wage and save for a deposit on a house. However, we emigrated to Melbourne and that was the best Ten Pound ever spent. I think my war experiences and deprivations gave me an inner determination to improve my life and that of my children. Those were the best years - building our first home and raising three beautiful Aussies. I was blessed to have two wonderful soulmates over the last 65 years - both leaving me bereft at their loss, having also lost all my family in England. Last year my son also passed away during COVID, and I grieve for my losses every day. I have plenty of time as Iive alone, eat alone and many days do not speak to a sole. I envy my friends who still have their partners....I was so lucky to have been loved but the loneliness of the past 17 years has been crippling as I am a very shy person. So, at the end, I am again wearing a mask, keeping lights low and being frugal - just like in the beginning.....

• Sad
Reactions: Joy G
My early years I grew up on a dairy farm and we made our own fun, playing cubbies with whatever we could find. I found it was carefree life back then. When it was hot we swam in the creek that bordered our farm. Helping out around the farm with Dad I enjoyed. Didn't lock the house when we went to town to do our shopping. The school was a one teacher school (the headmaster, the teacher). Looking back I think they were some of the best years.

We had freedom that the kids of today would not even be able to conceive of. We could play outside till after dark, go down to the creek to catch tadpoles, sleep out on the back deck on hot nights (that is, until Dad found a funnelweb spider climbing the back stairs one night), and generally do what we wanted as long as we caused no harm.

Reactions: debjoel21
As other people have said, its hard to pick an era which was best for me. There was good and bad in most era's. 60s onwards retiring, and having wonderful grandchildren (three beautiful girls) came into our lives. Down side of getting old is health not the best. Over all we keep going and enjoy life. When in our mid 30s we came to Australia, now that was a great idea, that worked out very well.

I could not choose a decade. Every decade has been wonderful, and every decade has had its challenges. I started to list the good and the bad, but the story was too long. In short, we are now in our 70s, reasonably healthy, debt free. We have great children and grandchildren, cheap medicine when we need it. We can't ask for more.

I always tried to enjoy life but was always up against the clock. I still have nightmares of being hours late for work, which never actually happened.
Waking each day and knowing that every minute is mine to spend is the best feeling ever.

Reactions: Zelda333
Poll: Which years of your life were the happiest?

Happy Sunday, members!

Today, we're curious about what you consider the happiest years of your life. You don't need to explain your choice, but if you'd like to, we'd love to hear from you in the comments.

Perhaps you were happiest in your childhood, running amuck before technology took over. Some of you will consider those first years as parents as the best (but hardest) years. Maybe you're in your golden years of happiness now.

We're looking forward to seeing the results!
I chose now, my 60's. Although I did have some good times as a child and a teen, a lot of it was overshadowed by abuse. I lived with an undiagnosed mental illness until my mid 40's. Being diagnosed, counselled and medicated didn't make things better overnight. The doctor had to tweak the medications a few times before finding the perfect combo for me. Now I'm in my 60's and feel much more balanced and settled in my life. I lost some loved ones over the years, but found this a lot easier to handle than I would have before I was medicated, diagnosed and counselled. I actually don't mind technology. I use it to my advantage. I find it's a good way to stay connected with friends and family from all over.

I always tried to enjoy life but was always up against the clock. I still have nightmares of being hours late for work, which never actually happened.
Waking each day and knowing that every minute is mine to spend is the best feeling ever.
I agree. It used to give me the worst insomnia. Was always afraid of being too late.

Although I had a very happy childhood myself being the youngest of six I put down the 30s. Bringing up my 2 sons allowing them to have a wonderful childhood and seeing their every step of growing up was my happiest time.

We are Grey Nomads every day is a new adventure We have been on the road now 13 years and make the most of every day We have been married 50 years Lived on three continents are best friends Each day we wake up is the best day of our life

What if there were no years in my life that were happy? Seeing the parameters are in decades, I have to say never.
There may have been moments of happiness, but they were fleeting. Abusive parents, abusive carers, institutional homes and paedophiles for most of the first two decades. Living with chronic depressive illness and anxiety for the last five decades since has not left me with much to be happy about. I am alone. I am physically and socially isolated. Any remaining family is out of reach or out of touch. Any friends I have had have gone. The one woman I ever trusted and loved, the one person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, died. No there have been no years in my life that were happiest.
Thanks for asking.
:cry:

I chose number ten, up and till the age of twelve I was happy being a farm serf, some of you will think that is a strange situation but I knew nothing different. At the late age of twelve I was taken by the then authorities and place in an institution Salvation Army Boys Home and treated like a mongrel dog, that’s when my happiness ended.
😢

In my 30s, doing a bachelor degree in Commerce as a mature student, husband, father of two youngsters, Youth Group leader at church and middle manager at work.
Forty plus (pre 38hr week) hours/week at work, 3 nights at uni plus assignment/study time; Friday evenings at Youth groups and Sundays at church. Life was full, always something to keep my focus and making contributions to Australia on all fronts. Loved it.