Do you think the sentiment of respecting your elders has been lost on the new generation?

• Yes

Votes: 75 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
I was always taught that respect had to earned, we as a generation respected our elders for what they had been through during the war years.

Unfortunately good news doesn't sell newspapers. We always told our kids that in order to get their names in the papers all they had to do was one wrong thing. That would far outweigh 100 good things they did.:(

I'm sure that the vast majority of the young these days do respect their elders, it just doesn't make the news or sell papers.;)

Respect is a two way street, if we give it to our youth for their achievements we will reap it in spades.:)

Poll: Do you think the sentiment of respecting your elders has been lost on the new generation?

Happy Sunday, members!

We have something new for you today: a poll!

We love reading your comments and emails and today we’re looking for your thoughts on this generation of teenagers. This topic has been on our mind for a while but this shocking story of a ‘teenage orgy in Westfield’ and the increasing disrespect towards Remembrance Day really tipped the scale.

Our question to you is: Do you think the sentiment of respecting your elders has been lost on the new generation?

You can vote above but feel free to comment and explain your choice!
We are so lucky with our gorgeous family including our grandkids. I taught them that manners are free and to always respect the elderly. But I do shudder when I hear or see not only kids but some adults how they behave in public.

Growing up in Britain throughout the war and living with the privations and restrictions Post-War, we as childrenteenagers were in awe of (1) our parents and other elders (as poor as they were) (2) our teachers (no-one spoke unless spoken to), and also (3) the law. If we saw a policeman there was a collective intake of breath combined with the fear of God. Politeness and good manners were as important as clean hands, shiny nails and polished shoes - even if those shoes had cardboard soles and had been passed down the line. Today, I have no elders to respect, but I still respect the law and those struggling to teach rude, out of control, entitled children where it is the case.
And now at 85, I have become invisible and irrelevant - passed over in queues, privy to loud phone calls in public with the incessant profanities for all to hear, pushing and shoving. Methinks I should be a bit more aggressive and "pushy" but that is not who I am - I always let others go before me and offer help in a "situation". I like myself that way.

As a traveller I have found that most youth in country rural areas have respect for their elders. But not in cities. In cities not only are we a boring nuisance, most of the time we are invisible. So yes and no to your poll.

Poll: Do you think the sentiment of respecting your elders has been lost on the new generation?

Happy Sunday, members!

We love reading your comments and emails and today we’re looking for your thoughts on this generation of teenagers. This topic has been on our mind for a while but this shocking story of a ‘teenage orgy in Westfield’ and the increasing disrespect towards Remembrance Day really tipped the scale.

Our question to you is: Do you think the sentiment of respecting your elders has been lost on the new generation?

There's a lot of respectful teenagers out there, but sadly there's also a lot that have no respect for other people or property. The world has changed unfortunately, but not for the better.

My personal experience with one of my children shows he has no respect for me. He was bought up showing how important it is to always show respect to all people. I have always been there for him in many ways, sickness, help when twins were born (every night on my way home from work) breakup of marriage particularly, I was there when he went into deep depression & helped him thru it, but, when he met his current partner it all stopped & he never comes to my house, apparently always ‘too busy’. I go to his house every fortnight for dinner, only way I get to see my grandsons, it breaks my heart.
That is so sad and yet wasn't they way you raised him. I would have to say it's to do with his partner.
I have a son who married someone who changed him and to me he has loss all respect for his family including me.

• Sad
Reactions: JayKay and Ricci

Happy Sunday, members!

So what's changed?

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”​

― Socrates

And here's the link

So what's changed?

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”​

― Socrates

And here's the link

So.... nothing new in the world!! :)

Reactions: JayKay
Respect is taught in the home. Sadly a lot of young people just do what they want to do in life and that is very sad
My grandchildren respect me and love me I’m very grateful they have been brought up well
I have also seen the uncontrollable teenagers , no disapline allowed to do what they want to do it at your expense.
Definitely comes back to the parents, and their children’s upbringing, respect is taught in the homes to have respectful children

Happy Sunday, members!

The younger generation has no respect for elderly people. They have Been spoilt by our generation but especially technology and social media advancement has been a big part of what they think about, want and what they think they are “owed”.
My son was taught to respect people as he also taught his teenage son but the majority of kids today weren’t taught respect.

My late husband was caught smoking as a teenager by a policeman, the policeman clipped my husband round the ear and hauled him home to his parents who also delivered punishment! An English town where everyone knew everyone. The governments everywhere stopped the police, teachers and even parents from using strict punishment.
I also believe every generation wants to give their kids better than they had, and this younger generation have been given everything, especially technology. A lot….. not all, have reached the stage of entitlement and think whatever they want they can take. They have no respect for their elders or anyone ! And none for property either. Lack of teaching or lack of discipline ? I don’t know 🤷‍♀️
But it’s not just the young is it ? Just look at how the world is right now, Russia threatening nuclear weapons, road rage, violent protestors, ordinary people using weapons,, gangs. It’s not a nice place anymore in my opinion.

I've always tried to teach my kids respect, which teaching respect covers a lot of things

Respect and trust us as your parents

Respect your siblings ...this includes ask them when you want to use what is theirs , I instilled this from when they were young.

Don't do unto others what you don't want done to you.

We have to teach our kids respect but they have to also be respected. I taught my kids to be respectful to their elders but in return those elders also needed to respect my kids.

I sincerely believe once the kids go off to high school that's where the battle begins. Your kids have to be strong enough to stand on their own and do what is right and not be tempted by others.

I have to say my last 3 boys went to Marrist College and every time I went to the school never did I come across disrespectful boys.
Never heard swearing. They were always neatly dressed
They made good friends and even today when their friends come here the respect they show is incredible

Yet my youngest two girls wanted to go to the local high school and gosh every time I went there , you heard kids swearing , girls full of make up. My daughter said you couldn't use the toilet as they were full of kids smoking. She said that kids made out at the back of the school. And this school is not in a bad area

My daughter who is a teacher , said I was wasting my money sending the boys to Marrist , that public schools are good until she was sent to a catholic school and she saw a difference , she said it amazed her not only were the students respectful the teachers were less stressful and even the parents were more approachable.

Don't get me wrong there is good and bad everywhere but my family as a parent and as a teacher has seen a difference in schools
Same - my son had always gone to private school through primary. As a single parent without assistance from ex-husband or Govt handout, I struggled to keep up with the cost. Come high school and I toyed with the idea of public but one visit changed my mind. No private high school close by so I placed him in a Marist boarding college in Goulburn. Totally different atmosphere - respect from the top Haadmaster through all classes of boys - not just for parents but also for fellow students. Never had a problem with him even through Uni right up to now that he is in the RAAF. My D-I-L and grandkids (2) are also so respectful of both Grandmothers.
It starts at home - respect given is respect received. Peer group pressure is the biggest influencer as they grow up - up to the parents to cull any sign of disrespect.

I saw my only son this week for the first time in 5 years. He has always been very respectful to me he & his second wife took me to lunch as they were down in Brisbane for a reunion at the army barracks where my son was posted during some of his Army years. It was the first time in 5 years he has travelled as he has suffered from health problems. I also have a 24-year-old granddaughter who has learned respect for the older generation. Whereas her 18-year-old brother has no respect for anyone or anything.

Happy Sunday, members!

My two boys, in their early 30s, were raised to respect everyone, especially elders, but many young people do not have that mindset.

Too much power and having 'rights', which they have not earned, leaves them feeling privileged, superior and disrespectful. Constant release after arrest adds to their rebellious mindset.

This is predominantly due to the young ones' upbringing, lack of parental control and non-existent family training/programming.

Those raised with love, discipline and support pass these attributes onto their children.

I was in the Army Cadets for 6 years and these types of organised activities do much to instill values, self-respect and....dare I say again....discipline.

Lack of discipline and repercussions adds to the rebellious mindset, unfortunately. "Old school" methods wouldn't do any harm now-a-days to bring the young ones back into line.

Last edited:
I am very proud i

Happy Sunday, members!

I am very proud of how my grandchildren have been raised by their parents, they are respectful, considerate, really good sports, and great team competitors, they have nice manners and are a pleasure to take out. The three of them are teenagers and are quite normal teenagers, their home is always full of their friends and they give me encouragement to see the country is in good hands for the future.

• Love
Reactions: Ricci

Happy Sunday, members!

I'm not sure if you would call it "sentiment" because bringing up children today means parents have lost the ability to have rules in their home. They are undermined every which way they go from school to workplaces. Most of it is negative input and I do find in small communities' manners still are in place. Things like back answering, putting feet on the lounge, not eating what is put in front of you, saying please and thankyou etc seem to be dominated by the pull of outsiders.....yet my grand children tow the tine when they come here!

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay

Happy Sunday, members!

yes

I am very proud i

I am very proud of how my grandchildren have been raised by their parents, they are respectful, considerate, really good sports, and great team competitors, they have nice manners and are a pleasure to take out. The three of them are teenagers and are quite normal teenagers, their home is always full of their friends and they give me encouragement to see the country is in good hands for the future. young people also call us by
Ifeel the idea of grandchildren using Christian names of grandparents a bit disrespectful. A lotof young ones call everyone by christian name.

I teach my grandchildren how to show respect. This morning the six year old said 'if Grandma makes a promise she keeps it'.
It's made my day, because I've never said that.

Having RESPECT is the best human response to all living and dead life, humans and animals. It comes from teaching others with respect always, that is why family, schools and carers are the most important education for young people. It can be difficult to control manners in tough situations but it needs to be you controlling your behaviour.