Is self-checkout a good thing or a bad thing?

• A good thing

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • A bad thing

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I don't have a strong opinion either way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Poll: Do you think that Coles/Woolies self-checkout is a good thing or a bad thing?

Hi guys. A member emailed in recently responding negatively to a story we ran about a new type of auto-scanning on some Woolies self-checkout machines.

Her point was that self-checkout was taking jobs away from a lot of people who need them, like middle-aged people who need to support themselves and are not eligible for assistance or young people putting themselves through university.

I have always personally enjoyed the convenience of self-checkout, but I do see her point.

What do you think?

Hi guys. A member emailed in recently responding negatively to a story we ran about a new type of auto-scanning on some Woolies self-checkout machines.

Her point was that self-checkout was taking jobs away from a lot of people who need them, like middle-aged people who need to support themselves and are not eligible for assistance or young people putting themselves through university.

I have always personally enjoyed the convenience of self-checkout, but I do see her point.

What do you think?
I agree with that member and for basically the same reason, jobs are in short enough supply as it is. Plus there is the added benefit that assistance is available for the elderly among us.

Well I'm not in favor of them and have never used one. For the reasons stated above, but also for the fact that prices continue to go up and one of the reasons is the stealing, most of which happens in a self serve section.
BTW, do we know what is the item most stolen from supermarkets?
I'll tell you if you want to know.

Not at all in favour for many reasons but mostly for taking jobs away from people. Tried one once as queues were long at checkouts. Worst experience ever for this disabled customer, with little or no help from the staff member in attendance. I now do click and collect but when I do have to enter a store I ALWAYS use assisted checkouts.

I agree with the above posts. Self-checkouts take jobs away from people. The supermarket does not have many check-outs open, only a couple, because people use the self-checkout so it means waiting in line. I have used them and guaranteed, I always need to call the supervisor because the machine stuffs up and won't record an item...every damn time.

• Angry
Reactions: Xe
Well I'm not in favor of them and have never used one. For the reasons stated above, but also for the fact that prices continue to go up and one of the reasons is the stealing, most of which happens in a self serve section.
BTW, do we know what is the item most stolen from supermarkets?
I'll tell you if you want to know.
Please share. Maybe gum if I had to take a guess

Not at all in favour for many reasons but mostly for taking jobs away from people. Tried one once as queues were long at checkouts. Worst experience ever for this disabled customer, with little or no help from the staff member in attendance. I now do click and collect but when I do have to enter a store I ALWAYS use assisted checkouts.
If I may ask, @Dot, what made it difficult for you? If you don't mind sharing...

Please share. Maybe gum if I had to take a guess
Thanks for asking, Xe.
I heard a breakfast announcer once ask his listeners for their opinions on what was the most stolen article from a supermarket.
This announcer had had the discussion a few days prior with a supermarket manager.
The manager had told him that, without a doubt, the most stolen article was vitamin tablets.
Countless people rang in with their guesses (some even said gum, like you).
Then a woman rang in with the right answer. He asked her how she knew, or what made her guess that.
She replied that she had a small child. Even knowing that it was wrong, she would "steal" a banana to keep her child busy whilst shopping.
(These days, most supermarkets leave free fruit out for kids.)
When putting the banana skin in a bin inside the supermarket, she would often notice costly vitamin tablet containers in the bin.
The thieves would pick up a container, empty the expensive contents into their purse/pocket and then dump the container in the rubbish bin.
Simple, eh?

What do you think?
When they pay me to scan and bag my shopping then I will use this option. Although sometimes it would be less tedious😀😀

Reactions: LadyMoonlight
Thanks for asking, Xe.
I heard a breakfast announcer once ask his listeners for their opinions on what was the most stolen article from a supermarket.
This announcer had had the discussion a few days prior with a supermarket manager.
The manager had told him that, without a doubt, the most stolen article was vitamin tablets.
Countless people rang in with their guesses (some even said gum, like you).
Then a woman rang in with the right answer. He asked her how she knew, or what made her guess that.
She replied that she had a small child. Even knowing that it was wrong, she would "steal" a banana to keep her child busy whilst shopping.
(These days, most supermarkets leave free fruit out for kids.)
When putting the banana skin in a bin inside the supermarket, she would often notice costly vitamin tablet containers in the bin.
The thieves would pick up a container, empty the expensive contents into their purse/pocket and then dump the container in the rubbish bin.
Simple, eh?
That's crazy I never would've thought of that. What's annoying is that vitamins are so overpriced. They use trigger words to make people believe they have amazing properties when in fact most of them contain the same thing. It's sad for older folk who actually need these vitamins.

Reactions: Placid