Police arrest mum in her underwear over unpaid bill

Content warning: This article contains distressing content, including the use of force. Reader discretion is advised.

A shocking police arrest has left a Gold Coast community reeling after officers forcibly detained a mum in front of her child and neighbours wearing only her underwear.

It all started in June when Ms Belinda Goodwin entered a 7-Eleven petrol station and tried to pump fuel into her car for $58. However, her Apple Pay app was not functioning, so she promised the staff that she'd return later with the money.

Two months after the unpaid fuel incident, Ms Goodwin received a court hearing notice. She believed she wouldn’t need to attend the court hearing once she paid, and the case would be closed.

Photo_20231121_091937_0000.png
Belinda Goodwin was arrested at her home in her underwear. Credit: A Current Affair

But this quickly spiralled out of control when officers arrived at her home on Saturday, November 18.

The officers showed up at the door, informing her that she was under arrest for failing to appear in court.

Goodwin said, 'So I open the door, and I was like, literally naked. And they just said, “Can you put something on? We're going to come and sit and talk to you.”’

The distressing incident was recorded by Goodwin's daughter, Summer, who shared the footage of her mother being forcibly taken by the police into a van.

‘It was very humiliating for me as well because we just moved in, like what if they thought that my mum had done something very wrong,’ Summer said.

In the video shared by Channel Nine’s A Current Affair, the officers told Goodwin, 'You're under arrest', before Goodwin said to them, 'I’ve never been arrested before,’ and screamed for help from her neighbours.

As she was dragged out of her home, Goodwin asked, ‘What for? What have I done?’

The officers replied, ‘You’re under arrest by virtue of a warrant.’

Goodwin asked the officers, ‘You’re going to leave my child here?’

‘Yes, she’s 12,’ they responded.

Jenny, Goodwin’s neighbour who barely knew the family, looked after the frightened girl until her mum returned.

‘Just completely over the top. It was so aggressive, so aggressive. You would think she’s a murderer or something,’ Jenny said.

‘She (Summer) didn’t know where her mum was going, how long she would be gone for, she had no contact details, she had her mother’s phone so she had no way to contact her, and she was just in tears.’

‘She had no key to get back up there.’

In the video, an officer told Summer, ‘Your room is all unlocked, you’re able to stay by yourself, you’re 12 years old. OK?’

Summer asked, ‘How long? I’ve never stayed by myself… Do I have to stay by myself for a night?’

The officer replied, ‘No, not for a night. She’ll be back soon.’

The officers continually asked Ms Goodwin to 'stand up' after she fell to the ground multiple times.

They also returned and asked Summer to get a pair of pants for her mother as she wasn't allowed at the station in her underwear.

Goodwin’s neighbours went outside after being alerted by the commotion.

After the ordeal, Goodwin now wants an apology from the police.

‘I want a public apology. I want them to come here and apologise to my neighbours. I want them to apologise to my daughter,’ she said.

‘I just want them to say sorry like they shouldn’t have done that,’ Summer added.

The official police statement regarding the incident stated that a senior supervisor reviewed ‘the body-worn camera footage of the officer’s interactions in this matter, which were found to be considered appropriate and lawful’.

‘Once the woman was advised she was being placed under arrest, she became obstructive to officers, refusing to accompany them willingly, at which time a 12-year-old girl at the property became upset,’ the statement said.

‘Given the short period of time the woman was expected to be with police, neighbours cared for the child while officers dealt with the woman before returning her home.’

‘The matter regarding the alleged outstanding fuel payment was just one of the matters police wanted to speak to the woman about, but it was not the primary purpose officers attended.’

‘Regarding the stealing complaint, police have not received any advice from the service station of a desire to withdraw the matter.’

Police officers are expected to act professionally and maintain maximum tolerance in times of trouble. However, at times, they have also been known to resort to means some would consider excessive.

In a previous story, an investigation was launched after the police used a taser and pepper spray on an elderly man.

You can read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland mother, Belinda Goodwin, was arrested in her underwear in front of her neighbours and daughter for an unpaid petrol bill.
  • Goodwin had failed to pay for $58 worth of fuel in June and had received a court notice, which she thought would be resolved once she paid the bill.
  • The arrest was filmed by Goodwin's 12-year-old daughter, who was left alone while her mother was taken to the local station.
  • Despite Goodwin requesting an apology from the police, a Queensland Police spokesman stated the officers' actions were 'considered appropriate and lawful.'
Members, do you think the officers’ act is appropriate and lawful? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Nobody in their right mind would open the door half naked!!! Why didn't she honour her promise to return? I think she like to be a victim. Poor police are only doing their job. As for the daughter - what is the issue as a neighbour was looking out for her. No sympathy whatsoever - apart from the daughter having a mother like that!!

Content warning: This article contains distressing content, including the use of force. Reader discretion is advised.

A shocking police arrest has left a Gold Coast community reeling after officers forcibly detained a mum in front of her child and neighbours wearing only her underwear.

It all started in June when Ms Belinda Goodwin entered a 7-Eleven petrol station and tried to pump fuel into her car for $58. However, her Apple Pay app was not functioning, so she promised the staff that she'd return later with the money.

Two months after the unpaid fuel incident, Ms Goodwin received a court hearing notice. She believed she wouldn’t need to attend the court hearing once she paid, and the case would be closed.

View attachment 35317
Belinda Goodwin was arrested at her home in her underwear. Credit: A Current Affair

But this quickly spiralled out of control when officers arrived at her home on Saturday, November 18.

The officers showed up at the door, informing her that she was under arrest for failing to appear in court.

Goodwin said, 'So I open the door, and I was like, literally naked. And they just said, “Can you put something on? We're going to come and sit and talk to you.”’

The distressing incident was recorded by Goodwin's daughter, Summer, who shared the footage of her mother being forcibly taken by the police into a van.

‘It was very humiliating for me as well because we just moved in, like what if they thought that my mum had done something very wrong,’ Summer said.

In the video shared by Channel Nine’s A Current Affair, the officers told Goodwin, 'You're under arrest', before Goodwin said to them, 'I’ve never been arrested before,’ and screamed for help from her neighbours.

As she was dragged out of her home, Goodwin asked, ‘What for? What have I done?’

Jenny, Goodwin’s neighbour who barely knew the family, looked after the frightened girl until her mum returned.

‘Just completely over the top. It was so aggressive, so aggressive. You would think she’s a murderer or something,’ Jenny said.

‘She (Summer) didn’t know where her mum was going, how long she would be gone for, she had no contact details, she had her mother’s phone so she had no way to contact her, and she was just in tears.’

In the video, an officer told Summer, ‘Your room is all unlocked, you’re able to stay by yourself, you’re 12 years old. OK?’

Summer asked, ‘How long? I’ve never stayed by myself… Do I have to stay by myself for a night?’

The officers continually asked Ms Goodwin to 'stand up' after she fell to the ground multiple times.

They also returned and asked Summer to get a pair of pants for her mother as she wasn't allowed at the station in her underwear.

‘I want a public apology. I want them to come here and apologise to my neighbours. I want them to apologise to my daughter,’ she said.

‘I just want them to say sorry like they shouldn’t have done that,’ Summer added.

The official police statement regarding the incident stated that a senior supervisor reviewed ‘the body-worn camera footage of the officer’s interactions in this matter, which were found to be considered appropriate and lawful’.

‘Once the woman was advised she was being placed under arrest, she became obstructive to officers, refusing to accompany them willingly, at which time a 12-year-old girl at the property became upset,’ the statement said.

‘Given the short period of time the woman was expected to be with police, neighbours cared for the child while officers dealt with the woman before returning her home.’

‘The matter regarding the alleged outstanding fuel payment was just one of the matters police wanted to speak to the woman about, but it was not the primary purpose officers attended.’

‘Regarding the stealing complaint, police have not received any advice from the service station of a desire to withdraw the matter.’

Police officers are expected to act professionally and maintain maximum tolerance in times of trouble. However, at times, they have also been known to resort to means some would consider excessive.

In a previous story, an investigation was launched after the police used a taser and pepper spray on an elderly man.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland mother, Belinda Goodwin, was arrested in her underwear in front of her neighbours and daughter for an unpaid petrol bill.
  • Goodwin had failed to pay for $58 worth of fuel in June and had received a court notice, which she thought would be resolved once she paid the bill.
  • The arrest was filmed by Goodwin's 12-year-old daughter, who was left alone while her mother was taken to the local station.
  • Despite Goodwin requesting an apology from the police, a Queensland Police spokesman stated the officers' actions were 'considered appropriate and lawful.'
Members, do you think the officers’ act is appropriate and lawful? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
I think it was a completely 🤔 over the top action by the Police officers, and must have been frightening for the young lady, although she was mature enough to film the incident.

I don't understand why she chose to fight about the arrest, and she also asked her daughter to grab her phone and film it. we are also only seeing the footage from when she asked her daughter to film, not what happened beforehand.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Firstly why didn't she go back like promised and pay for the petrol . Two months is an awful long time.

Secondly if you received a letter to attend court wouldn't you attend regardless if money was paid back or at least contact the court . She hadn't paid it back in 2 months so I'm guessing she paid it just before the police arrived.

The police were a little heavy handed but to me looks like she was refusing to get dressed and even cooperate with the police.

Not going back straight away like she promised to pay for the petrol I think this is actually theft especially not being still being unpaid at two months

Sorry I actually don't think they were heavy handed and is no way the same as those elderly people being tasered completely different .
She was lucky she wasn't tassered

Last edited:
Just a belligerent whinger. If you had paid for the fuel, all done. The article also implies she paid the bill so did not attend court, yet at the ending the petrol station is not withdrawing the matter. So did she pay or not.!?
And answering the door naked, WTF.
A lowie trying to play victim.
And shame on you SDC for likening this to the sad event of tasering the elderly lady in a nursing home. Totalling different.

I feel very sorry for her daughter for having such a mother. Fine example she sets for her daughter
Firstly she doesn't keep her word and return and pay for the fuel, then she doesn't turn up in court, next she answers the door in her underwear for heaven's sake, then gets narky with the police who are only doing their job. Dropping herself on the floor, screaming to the neighbours for help, etc that's called resisting arrest.
And then she expects an apology.
You must be kidding, she's the one who should be apologising, to her daughter, for being such a poor excuse of a mother.
All of these things could have been avoided, everything is her fault
She could and should have gone with the police quietly instead of making a public display of herself and upsetting her daughter.
None of this was the fault of the police. Honestly, who would have their job, they have to deal with morons like this every day
This is nowhere near at all similar to tasering an elderly person and shouldn't even be considered as such.

Just a belligerent whinger. If you had paid for the fuel, all done. The article also implies she paid the bill so did not attend court, yet at the ending the petrol station is not withdrawing the matter. So did she pay or not.!?
And answering the door naked, WTF.
A lowie trying to play victim.
And shame on you SDC for likening this to the sad event of tasering the elderly lady in a nursing home. Totalling different.
I'd say not, otherwise the service station would have dropped the case,

View attachment 35317

Key Takeaways

If it was for the $58 petrol - this is more than excessive.
They do not know what was going on on this woman's life at that time and it could have been an oversight on her part.
The police telling a 12yr old that she can stay on her own, is completely out of order.
What if some criminal had witnessed this and decided to robb the house and hurt the girl - are they - police - going to take responsibility for leaving the CHILD alone - NO.
Police are getting away with unlawful treatment of non criminal people - AND LEAVING THE HARD CORE CRIMINALS FREE RANGE.
More like the

I think it was a completely 🤔 over the top action by the Police officers, and must have been frightening for the young lady, although she was mature enough to film the incident.
You have to be joking, she was resisting arrest, she bought this whole situation on herself. How would you like to be a police officer and deal with morons like this every day. All she had to do was go with them, like she should have and like any half way intelligent person would have.
People are always in a hurry to blame the police for everything.
Sure some make bad decisions, but just where would we be without them.

View attachment 35317

Key Takeaways

It is unclear whether or when she paid the petrol bill. If not, she has only herself to blame.

If it was for the $58 petrol - this is more than excessive.
They do not know what was going on on this woman's life at that time and it could have been an oversight on her part.
The police telling a 12yr old that she can stay on her own, is completely out of order.
What if some criminal had witnessed this and decided to robb the house and hurt the girl - are they - police - going to take responsibility for leaving the CHILD alone - NO.
Police are getting away with unlawful treatment of non criminal people - AND LEAVING THE HARD CORE CRIMINALS FREE RANGE.
More like the
Honestly, read the story again. She was being arrested for not turning up in court.
The neighbour looked after the child
She resisted arrest .
Any normal person, knowing they had done the wrong thing, would have gone quietly, asked the neighbour to keep an eye on the child, and avoided all this unnecessary trouble.
And yes she is a thief, doesn't matter how much it is and she has no respect for the law
As far as her daughter was concerned, her mother wasn't giving any consideration to her at all or she wouldn't have been carrying on the way she did. Lovely example she was setting, I feel sorry for the child, what sort of a life is she going to have with a mother like that
As far as it being an oversight, get real, first she doesn't pay, then she doesn't turn up in court,
Must have a very bad memory

Last edited:

View attachment 35317

Key Takeaways

It seems a bit over the top but we don't know the full story. It amazes me that there is always someone with a phone camera when police "do the wrong thing" but never for the other 99% of the time when they are risking themselves or doing good things for the community.