Police arrest mum in her underwear over unpaid bill

Content warning: This article contains distressing content, including the use of force. Reader discretion is advised.

A shocking police arrest has left a Gold Coast community reeling after officers forcibly detained a mum in front of her child and neighbours wearing only her underwear.

It all started in June when Ms Belinda Goodwin entered a 7-Eleven petrol station and tried to pump fuel into her car for $58. However, her Apple Pay app was not functioning, so she promised the staff that she'd return later with the money.

Two months after the unpaid fuel incident, Ms Goodwin received a court hearing notice. She believed she wouldn’t need to attend the court hearing once she paid, and the case would be closed.

Photo_20231121_091937_0000.png
Belinda Goodwin was arrested at her home in her underwear. Credit: A Current Affair

But this quickly spiralled out of control when officers arrived at her home on Saturday, November 18.

The officers showed up at the door, informing her that she was under arrest for failing to appear in court.

Goodwin said, 'So I open the door, and I was like, literally naked. And they just said, “Can you put something on? We're going to come and sit and talk to you.”’

The distressing incident was recorded by Goodwin's daughter, Summer, who shared the footage of her mother being forcibly taken by the police into a van.

‘It was very humiliating for me as well because we just moved in, like what if they thought that my mum had done something very wrong,’ Summer said.

In the video shared by Channel Nine’s A Current Affair, the officers told Goodwin, 'You're under arrest', before Goodwin said to them, 'I’ve never been arrested before,’ and screamed for help from her neighbours.

As she was dragged out of her home, Goodwin asked, ‘What for? What have I done?’

The officers replied, ‘You’re under arrest by virtue of a warrant.’

Goodwin asked the officers, ‘You’re going to leave my child here?’

‘Yes, she’s 12,’ they responded.

Jenny, Goodwin’s neighbour who barely knew the family, looked after the frightened girl until her mum returned.

‘Just completely over the top. It was so aggressive, so aggressive. You would think she’s a murderer or something,’ Jenny said.

‘She (Summer) didn’t know where her mum was going, how long she would be gone for, she had no contact details, she had her mother’s phone so she had no way to contact her, and she was just in tears.’

‘She had no key to get back up there.’

In the video, an officer told Summer, ‘Your room is all unlocked, you’re able to stay by yourself, you’re 12 years old. OK?’

Summer asked, ‘How long? I’ve never stayed by myself… Do I have to stay by myself for a night?’

The officer replied, ‘No, not for a night. She’ll be back soon.’

The officers continually asked Ms Goodwin to 'stand up' after she fell to the ground multiple times.

They also returned and asked Summer to get a pair of pants for her mother as she wasn't allowed at the station in her underwear.

Goodwin’s neighbours went outside after being alerted by the commotion.

After the ordeal, Goodwin now wants an apology from the police.

‘I want a public apology. I want them to come here and apologise to my neighbours. I want them to apologise to my daughter,’ she said.

‘I just want them to say sorry like they shouldn’t have done that,’ Summer added.

The official police statement regarding the incident stated that a senior supervisor reviewed ‘the body-worn camera footage of the officer’s interactions in this matter, which were found to be considered appropriate and lawful’.

‘Once the woman was advised she was being placed under arrest, she became obstructive to officers, refusing to accompany them willingly, at which time a 12-year-old girl at the property became upset,’ the statement said.

‘Given the short period of time the woman was expected to be with police, neighbours cared for the child while officers dealt with the woman before returning her home.’

‘The matter regarding the alleged outstanding fuel payment was just one of the matters police wanted to speak to the woman about, but it was not the primary purpose officers attended.’

‘Regarding the stealing complaint, police have not received any advice from the service station of a desire to withdraw the matter.’

Police officers are expected to act professionally and maintain maximum tolerance in times of trouble. However, at times, they have also been known to resort to means some would consider excessive.

In a previous story, an investigation was launched after the police used a taser and pepper spray on an elderly man.

You can read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland mother, Belinda Goodwin, was arrested in her underwear in front of her neighbours and daughter for an unpaid petrol bill.
  • Goodwin had failed to pay for $58 worth of fuel in June and had received a court notice, which she thought would be resolved once she paid the bill.
  • The arrest was filmed by Goodwin's 12-year-old daughter, who was left alone while her mother was taken to the local station.
  • Despite Goodwin requesting an apology from the police, a Queensland Police spokesman stated the officers' actions were 'considered appropriate and lawful.'
Members, do you think the officers’ act is appropriate and lawful? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Content warning: This article contains distressing content, including the use of force. Reader discretion is advised.

A shocking police arrest has left a Gold Coast community reeling after officers forcibly detained a mum in front of her child and neighbours wearing only her underwear.

It all started in June when Ms Belinda Goodwin entered a 7-Eleven petrol station and tried to pump fuel into her car for $58. However, her Apple Pay app was not functioning, so she promised the staff that she'd return later with the money.

Two months after the unpaid fuel incident, Ms Goodwin received a court hearing notice. She believed she wouldn’t need to attend the court hearing once she paid, and the case would be closed.

View attachment 35317
Belinda Goodwin was arrested at her home in her underwear. Credit: A Current Affair

But this quickly spiralled out of control when officers arrived at her home on Saturday, November 18.

The officers showed up at the door, informing her that she was under arrest for failing to appear in court.

Goodwin said, 'So I open the door, and I was like, literally naked. And they just said, “Can you put something on? We're going to come and sit and talk to you.”’

The distressing incident was recorded by Goodwin's daughter, Summer, who shared the footage of her mother being forcibly taken by the police into a van.

‘It was very humiliating for me as well because we just moved in, like what if they thought that my mum had done something very wrong,’ Summer said.

In the video shared by Channel Nine’s A Current Affair, the officers told Goodwin, 'You're under arrest', before Goodwin said to them, 'I’ve never been arrested before,’ and screamed for help from her neighbours.

As she was dragged out of her home, Goodwin asked, ‘What for? What have I done?’

Jenny, Goodwin’s neighbour who barely knew the family, looked after the frightened girl until her mum returned.

‘Just completely over the top. It was so aggressive, so aggressive. You would think she’s a murderer or something,’ Jenny said.

‘She (Summer) didn’t know where her mum was going, how long she would be gone for, she had no contact details, she had her mother’s phone so she had no way to contact her, and she was just in tears.’

In the video, an officer told Summer, ‘Your room is all unlocked, you’re able to stay by yourself, you’re 12 years old. OK?’

Summer asked, ‘How long? I’ve never stayed by myself… Do I have to stay by myself for a night?’

The officers continually asked Ms Goodwin to 'stand up' after she fell to the ground multiple times.

They also returned and asked Summer to get a pair of pants for her mother as she wasn't allowed at the station in her underwear.

‘I want a public apology. I want them to come here and apologise to my neighbours. I want them to apologise to my daughter,’ she said.

‘I just want them to say sorry like they shouldn’t have done that,’ Summer added.

The official police statement regarding the incident stated that a senior supervisor reviewed ‘the body-worn camera footage of the officer’s interactions in this matter, which were found to be considered appropriate and lawful’.

‘Once the woman was advised she was being placed under arrest, she became obstructive to officers, refusing to accompany them willingly, at which time a 12-year-old girl at the property became upset,’ the statement said.

‘Given the short period of time the woman was expected to be with police, neighbours cared for the child while officers dealt with the woman before returning her home.’

‘The matter regarding the alleged outstanding fuel payment was just one of the matters police wanted to speak to the woman about, but it was not the primary purpose officers attended.’

‘Regarding the stealing complaint, police have not received any advice from the service station of a desire to withdraw the matter.’

Police officers are expected to act professionally and maintain maximum tolerance in times of trouble. However, at times, they have also been known to resort to means some would consider excessive.

In a previous story, an investigation was launched after the police used a taser and pepper spray on an elderly man.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland mother, Belinda Goodwin, was arrested in her underwear in front of her neighbours and daughter for an unpaid petrol bill.
  • Goodwin had failed to pay for $58 worth of fuel in June and had received a court notice, which she thought would be resolved once she paid the bill.
  • The arrest was filmed by Goodwin's 12-year-old daughter, who was left alone while her mother was taken to the local station.
  • Despite Goodwin requesting an apology from the police, a Queensland Police spokesman stated the officers' actions were 'considered appropriate and lawful.'
Members, do you think the officers’ act is appropriate and lawful? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
When that happened to me because I left home without wallet and had already filled before I realised I left my watch while went to ger my wallet, when I got back he said he was hoping that I wouldn't be back!!

I think it was a completely 🤔 over the top action by the Police officers, and must have been frightening for the young lady, although she was mature enough to film the incident.
12 yr olds are not little innocent kids anymore ,they are tough and street smart , crime wave from this age group should be proof enough ,Qld is proof of what is happening ,these little sh#ts are out of control.

Reactions: Knell and DLHM
When that happened to me because I left home without wallet and had already filled before I realised I left my watch while went to ger my wallet, when I got back he said he was hoping that I wouldn't be back!!
Lucky you did .

Good idea leaving your watch. Win Win situation! 👍🏻

It was about bloody time that someone was made an example of for not honouring her promise, Two months is a long time to keep a small business waiting for their money. She should have checked if she was able to avoid the court appearance not just assumed that she didn't have to turn up. You know what assume means it makes an ass of you & me! my wonderful granddaughter decided at 12 that she was not going to live with her mum any more. So at 12 the police had a right to think that the child in the story could look after herself but obviously not. Must have a helicopter parent.

Last edited:

View attachment 35317

Key Takeaways

Next time she might not take 4 months to pay for her fuel and might choose to attend future Court hearings. Sorry, not sorry.

Reactions: Knell
It was about bloody time that someone was made an example of for not honouring her promise, Two months is a long time to keep a small business waiting for their money. She should have checked if she was able to avoid the court appearance not just assumed that she didn't have to turn up. You know what assume means it makes an ass of you & me! my wonderful granddaughter decided at 12 that she was not going to live with her mum any more. So at 12 the police had a right to think that the child in the story could look after herself but obviously not. Must have a helicopter parent.
I started babysitting for other people at 12yrs…no adult supervision and the children were toddlers and babies. Where I lived at the time, that was the norm. Admittedly, there are some 12yr olds who are still more like 8 or 9 yr olds, but I think they are the minority. The girl who had the thief mother most likely knew what was going on and why.

Yep, that child wasn't too upset to not get out a phone and press record in order to post on social media.

View attachment 35317

Key Takeaways

The woman betrayed the trust of the petrol station so she deserves everything that happened. Two months after the unpaid fuel incident, Ms Goodwin received a court hearing notice.

A most unfortunate affair, handled badly by the police, yes she should have paid sooner but did at least pay it, It is apparent from many remarks here that a lot of commentators do not know how frightening it can be to be confronted by the police something most of us will hopefully never experience, the petrol station management were also at fault not advising the court that the bill had been paid.
It doesn't appear that it was paid as it said they refused to drop the charges.
It also said that wasn't the only thing they were there to see her about.
As stated previously they don't issue warrants for first offenders.
Obviously this wasn't this ladies first dealing with the police. Most people who have made a genuine mistake don't carry on like this in front of their child.
This is how a feral acts.
You say a lot of people on here have no idea how scary the police can be, you obviously have no idea how these feral people operate.

It doesn't appear that it was paid as it said they refused to drop the charges.
It also said that wasn't the only thing they were there to see her about.
As stated previously they don't issue warrants for first offenders.
Obviously this wasn't this ladies first dealing with the police. Most people who have made a genuine mistake don't carry on like this in front of their child.
This is how a feral acts.
You say a lot of people on here have no idea how scary the police can be, you obviously have no idea how these feral people operate.