Points of caution: ACMA warns Aussies of loyalty scam surge amid digital convenience!

As we navigate the digital age, the convenience of loyalty programs has become a staple for many Australian shoppers.

From Telstra to Coles, accumulating points can lead to significant savings and rewards amid the current cost-of-living crisis.

However, with this convenience comes a new risk as a warning has been issued about a concerning phenomenon.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) recently issued a warning about a sharp increase in fraudulent schemes designed to trick consumers into handing over personal information to redeem loyalty points.

These scams often arrive as text messages that appear to be from legitimate companies like Telstra, Optus, Coles, Woolworths and other brands that have well-known loyalty schemes, urging customers to act quickly to use or redeem points before they supposedly expire.

The messages contain links to fake websites meticulously crafted to mimic the real ones, complete with the brand's logo and familiar layout; however, don't be fooled—these sites are traps set to harvest your login details and financial information.

Web version scam alert - 14 May.png
ACMA cautioned about an increase in scam texts posing as real companies and prompting customers to redeem loyalty points. Credits: ACMA

To help you stay safe, there are a few red flags to watch out for.

Firstly, be wary of any message that creates a sense of urgency, claiming that your points or bonuses are on the brink of expiration. This tactic is designed to rush you into clicking without thinking.

Secondly, examine the website address carefully. According to the ACMA, scammers often use URLs with subtle inaccuracies, such as ‘misspellings, unusual words or random letters and numbers’.

If you received such a message, the ACMA advised taking a moment to pause and verify before clicking any links or entering any personal details.

If you're uncertain about the authenticity of a message, it's best to directly contact the company through official channels, such as their customer service phone number or website.

If you fall victim to one of these scams, it's crucial to act swiftly. Contact your bank immediately to protect your finances and inform the company of the scam message purported to represent.

Additionally, report the incident to ScamWatch to help prevent others from being scammed.

As Australians face warnings about loyalty points scams involving major companies like Telstra, Optus, and Coles, it's evident that consumers need to stay vigilant about their rewards programs.

Meanwhile, controversy arose over a seemingly innocuous 17-word text from Coles, leaving shoppers confused and curious about the message's true meaning.

This juxtaposition highlights the complexities of modern consumer interactions and the importance of clarity and transparency in retail communications.
Key Takeaways
  • ACMA warned about a rise in scam text messages pretending to be from legitimate companies and urging customers to redeem loyalty points.
  • The scammers direct victims to a fake website that may look real but has a URL with misspellings or unusual characters, where they're asked to enter personal information.
  • The authority advised the public to be wary of any urgent claims of expiring points or bonuses and to verify any suspicious messages before clicking on links.
  • If caught in a scam, individuals should immediately contact their bank, inform the respective company, and report the incident to ScamWatch.
Have you or someone you know encountered a loyalty points scam? What would you advise others to protect themselves from falling victim to this scheme? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Trying to contact any Customer Service facility by phone, means waiting around for ages until a robot is available to answer only preprogrammed questions and your question won't be one of them. If you do get a reply it's usually a set of multiple choice answers and again, your answer won't be there.

Reactions: Davmes and PattiB
I also got scammed. Went to coles they told me it was a scam
Also there is a vege cutter that is being advertised by curtis stone is also a scam
Lost my money on that.just be aware .

Yes received a few from Fake Telstra I block or put in the spam folder but that doesn’t usually work because they scammers use different addresses all the time. Just have to be careful and aware !

Yes had these. I don’t respond but went into the app if I wanted to redeem my points. Noticed different amount of actual points. Reported

Trying to contact any Customer Service facility by phone, means waiting around for ages until a robot is available to answer only preprogrammed questions and your question won't be one of them. If you do get a reply it's usually a set of multiple choice answers and again, your answer won't be there.
Welcome to the modern digital age! It is SO convenient!

Reactions: relljube
I had one of these messages purportedly from Coles yesterday. Very easy to work out it was a scam, as Coles never do this. Very simple rule. If in doubt never click on a link. Another rule of mine is to never click on a link where a supposed celebrity is telling you something is a good buy.

Scams like this one are banking on the FOMO psychology in order to work.

Put it this way, if you didn't see the offer (whatever it is) would you be worse off for not taking it up. Getting any such offer via a text message is a great big RED FLAG that should be yelling at you to just delete it. No need to phone any customer service line to ask about it, just delete and move on.

There is a website that gives early notice of current scams. Just search for something like 'scam warnings' or to make it easier, go to https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/ for help.