Controversial 17-word text from Coles confuses shoppers—find out why!

In the digital age, where convenience and communication are at our fingertips, it's not uncommon to receive updates and offers from our favourite stores via text message.

However, a recent incident involving a 17-word text message purportedly from Coles raised eyebrows and sparked controversy among Australian shoppers.

The text message in question seemed to offer Coles customers a chance to 'cash in' their rewards points, reading: 'Howdy, Coles Rewards member! Your 3022 points are on their way out. Time to cash in, cobber!'

At first glance, the message might appear to be a legitimate communication from the supermarket chain, especially to those eagerly awaiting their rewards.

c1a7718449edef8c7fc54f976995f3d3a2a693b9-4x3-x0y0w1087h815.jpg
Several shoppers received a message from ‘Coles’. Image source: X (Twitter)

But upon closer inspection, the overly Australian term 'cobber' has left many recipients scratching their heads and questioning the authenticity of the message.

Social media platforms quickly became hotspots for discussion and concern as recipients of the text tried to decipher its legitimacy.

Some found the term 'cobber' endearing and wondered if Coles was adopting a more colloquial marketing approach.

Others, however, were rightly sceptical.

'Cobber is such a strange term to see in a scam text, wondering if this is actually authentic,' one shopper mused online.

Another expressed their confusion, 'Confused by the use of the word “cobber”. Is this real, Coles?'

The confusion was understandable, as the term, while affectionate and traditionally Australian, is not commonly used in modern marketing communications.

The confusion was soon addressed by Coles, as a spokesperson for the supermarket giant confirmed that the message was indeed a scam, a phishing attempt designed to trick customers into divulging personal and financial information.

'Coles advises customers to be aware of websites, competitions, and other unsolicited communications that use the Coles brand without Coles’ permission or which promote Coles rewards in an attempt to appear legitimate,' the spokesperson warned.

‘These offers predominantly attempt to collect your personal details or financial information, and Coles will never request personal or banking details in unsolicited communications,’ they added.

‘We encourage people to report any suspicious communication you may have received to the ACCC via their Scamwatch page.’

Phishing scams like this are becoming increasingly sophisticated, often using familiar branding and language to lure in unsuspecting victims.

This incident serves as a timely reminder for all, especially those who may not be as tech-savvy, to remain vigilant about our digital security.

Coles customers, in particular, are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the supermarket's scam warning page, which provides valuable information on how to spot and avoid such deceitful tactics.

Earlier in the week, Coles customers were also targeted with a different scam on Facebook, promoting a fake $3 Smeg kettle sale. This goes to show that scammers are using multiple platforms to try and catch consumers off guard.

So, members, let's take this as a learning opportunity. Always approach unsolicited messages with caution, even if they seem to come from trusted sources.

Verify any offers or rewards directly through official channels, such as the retailer's official website or customer service line.

And remember, if an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Key Takeaways
  • A scam text message circulated among shoppers, purporting to be from Coles, and caused confusion.
  • The text message claimed Coles Rewards members could 'cash in' their points and used the term 'cobber'.
  • Coles confirmed that the message was a phishing scam and was not sent by the supermarket.
  • Coles advised customers to be aware of unsolicited communications and to report any suspicious activities to the ACCC via the Scamwatch page.
Have you or someone you know encountered a similar scam? How did you respond? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below to help your fellow readers stay safe from these digital-age tricksters.

Sponsored
I had one today go straight to spam folder. Same 3022 points but slightly different wording. I know how many points I have.

Reactions: Wattoval
Two weeks again, I received email from Coles letting me know that my Fly Buy points were going to be deleted unless I contacted them.
Considering that the points are low and I rarely use my card, I deleted and blocked so called email details.
I did ask on my next shopping venture to Coles and yes they had a number of people that asked same.
I delete every email that seems to good to be true and I admit there are many.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I looked at it and when I was cobber that is a dead give away when traveling all the Asian men greet you with g'day cobber and that is where most of the scams seem to come from but not all sso I just delete them

My fake txt from Coles said my points were about to expire and to click on the link to secure my points. I don't even shop at Coles. Plus the link was nothing like coles real address.