Playing these games could be lowering your risk of dementia

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we know eating right and sleeping well are key to keeping our minds in good shape as we get older. But we love a good challenge and having fun too!

Good news: a recent study says playing certain games and doing puzzles might also help keep our brains healthy and lower the chance of getting dementia.

Recently, the prestigious JAMA Network Open journal published a study looking into the effects of engaging in various activities on dementia risk in older adults.

The data was collected from over 10,000 people aged 70 and up, all of whom lived outside of nursing homes and had no signs of cognitive impairment at the time.

image2.jpg
Can games help keep dementia at bay? Image source: Pixabay.

At the start of the study, the participants answered questions about their leisure activities, contact with close family and friends, and whether they kept up with educational classes, letter writing, computer use, and more.

As the research progressed, the participants were assessed for symptoms of dementia during routine visits.

The researchers observed that the people who regularly engaged in stimulating activities such as playing games and solving puzzles were 9%-11% less likely to develop dementia than those who did not.

But why are some activities better for brain health than others?

Dr Dale Bredesen, a neuroscience researcher, suggests that 'It likely depends on what parts of the brain are stimulated and in what way’.'

Speed and memory games are known to provide the best benefit, contrary to activities that just improve a single skill.

Michael Cuccaro, PhD, co-director of the John P. Hussman Institute for Human Genomics at The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, agreed with Dr Bredesen.

In addition, he highlights the need for variety in performing mentally stimulating tasks.

‘Our brains are quick to figure out ways to perform certain activities to allow us to conserve resources,’ he said. ‘Those activities that are fairly unchanging will not provide benefit over time.’

He also points out that 'The greatest impact will be activities that require the active engagement of mind and body in diverse settings with other people!'’

But how do puzzles and games lower dementia risk?

According to Patrick Porter, PhD, they ‘stimulate the brain by challenging it to find patterns, make connections, and think creatively’, thus enhancing cognitive abilities that are important for brain health.

Not only that, they also provide enjoyment and stress relief. Cuccaro adds that consistent mental challenges promote sustained brain development, making our brains ‘agile and receptive.’

image1.jpg
Puzzles are a great way to stimulate the brain. Image source: Pixabay.

What's the role of social engagement in reducing dementia risk?

While the study didn't directly link social activities to lower dementia risk, Cuccaro says social engagement is still ‘significant.’

He suggests the results may be skewed because participants were already socially active and concludes that the findings support ‘the importance of integrating games, puzzles, and challenges into social settings’.

Key Takeaways

• Regular games and puzzles can reduce the risk of dementia by 9%-11%.
  • Speed and memory games offer the most cognitive benefits.
  • Being socially active is also important for cognitive health.
  • Games improve cognitive abilities and provide stress relief.

Members, these fascinating studies are an incredible reminder of just how beneficial it can be to stay socially and mentally active.

Share in the comments: What SDC game are you currently enjoying, and how does it help you? Know someone who could benefit from our games? Invite them to join us at SDC!

Sponsored
Same as when you teach young children jigsaw puzzles skills Tupperware ball of shapes, colouring in. Rods in school infants departments. Choose your own adventure stories, sudoku, crosswords , solitaire, monopoly, life board games, sitting around the table board games, and Bingo of course.

Same as when you teach young children jigsaw puzzles skills Tupperware ball of shapes, colouring in. Rods in school infants departments. Choose your own adventure stories, sudoku, crosswords , solitaire, monopoly, life board games, sitting around the table board games, and Bingo of course.
Ahhhh....Crusinaire rods to get you counting skills started.

I taught my son (now 25) how to count and recognise colours by watching the greyhounds on Fox of all things!

When, once again, I fail to get 10 out of 10 for the SDC trivia quiz, I remind myself that I'm just keeping my brain occupied, not playing for sheep stations.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
This is more of a question, then a reply. I have just started playing Lawn Bowls again, which involves a degree of skill, plus it is also socializing. would this type of sport help with dementia? I am not really into sitting around doing crosswords and other games, more of a active person that gets bored very easily unless I am mobile.

This is more of a question, then a reply. I have just started playing Lawn Bowls again, which involves a degree of skill, plus it is also socializing. would this type of sport help with dementia? I am not really into sitting around doing crosswords and other games, more of a active person that gets bored very easily unless I am mobile.
It doesn't matter where the stimulation comes from, whether it's physical or psychological or both, it will aid in all types of benefits such as circulation and cognitive ability.

Reactions: Littleboy8