S

Sean Camara

Plant enthusiast’s “GAME-CHANGING” hack for growing plants using an unlikely hair accessory goes viral

We all know that plants are good for us. They help purify the air, boost our moods, and can even help us focus better.

Oftentimes, growing plants is a complicated process that discourages some of us to pursue the hobby (is there a term that means the opposite of ‘greenthumb’? Let us know in the comments below).

But did you know that an unlikely hair accessory can help you propagate plants easily?

That's right! In a recent TikTok video, plant enthusiast Krystal reveals a surprising hack for turning bare stems on trailing plants into full and vibrant plants.

And the best part? All you need is a pack of bobby pins!

Credit: TikTok/@plantswithkrystal

Krystal's method for encouraging leaf growth on her neon pothos is both creative and effective.

So, how does Krystal make use of bobby pins to grow plants?

In her video, the plant enthusiast said that all you need to do is to pin the stem into the soil before inserting bobby pins next to each node.

Krystal explained that the method ensures that the plant gets the nutrients it needs to produce new leaves.

She also noted that aside from neon pothos, the tip also works for string of pearls and devil's ivy plants.

uK_XYotPRCWxq7qsZi9DqHIhoags2vwopH-rrI9sBkgWhW5kxwiA2-N63mZjF_Lfm8RYoHHxXSUZDGeUphncBJyyuMd9-Xg7jdJVVn_56rEgfUqqEPtPCTDbpZvRRUtsORkovNBqlQ5edHPB

A plant enthusiast took to TikTok to share how an unlikely hair accessory can help you grow plants easily. Credit: TikTok/@plantswithkrystal.

The hack has proven its popularity among plant keepers, amassing more than 380,000 views.

One person wrote: "Thanks this is exactly the problem I have with my pothos right now!"

"It's like you read my mind. Every time I have a plant thought it's like you come out with a video on that topic. Get out of my head!" another joked.

A third added: "Oh wow… Game changer!"

A handful of commenters claimed that Krystal's tip is not always successful.

One person said: "I am not discouraging anyone from doing this as I've seen it work for many people but for me every time it turns brown and dies. I think it's my water."

To which Krystal responded with: "Really? oh man! I've grown my other strands that way. I just have to keep the pins down when I water."

WTayBpfP32Ur9x6Wi7Jx4ughbLegnyYhANVtoRHgSmDCRWlVYX6O2bOO2Bqa6wTAHPJBk1fwSx6y_MvPkSfZp1qoQXNu4rmnlxaZUcV1jnrAYd75A4p4CY9EN2nC8wNubFBtBrpoJvrrHjSH

The tip also works for string of pearls and devil's ivy plants. Credit: TikTok/@plantswithkrystal.

We're not sure how well this hack actually works, but it's definitely worth a try if you're looking for a way to boost plant growth. And it's definitely cheaper than buying a fancy grow light!

If ever you try this tip and find that standard bobby pins are too narrow for your plant, you may also try using wider pins such as bun pins and floristry pins.

Have you tried this hack? Better yet, do you have hassle-free tips for propagating plants? Let us know in the comments below.

Worth a try! I can use all the help I can get when it comes to plants :(

Reactions: Ricci
I'm a bit of a green thumb, I have prapopagated camillias, roses, gardenias, daphnes, ferns, begonias....lots and lots, but I can't maintain gerberers. I have had petunias come up year after year which must be over 30 years old, and my dahlias and chrysanthemums are over 20 years old.
I have daffodils and jonquils and lilac bushes which belonged to my Mum in the 1950s, still healthy and beautiful as ever.

Plant enthusiast’s “GAME-CHANGING” hack for growing plants using an unlikely hair accessory goes viral

We all know that plants are good for us. They help purify the air, boost our moods, and can even help us focus better.

Oftentimes, growing plants is a complicated process that discourages some of us to pursue the hobby (is there a term that means the opposite of ‘greenthumb’? Let us know in the comments below).

But did you know that an unlikely hair accessory can help you propagate plants easily?

That's right! In a recent TikTok video, plant enthusiast Krystal reveals a surprising hack for turning bare stems on trailing plants into full and vibrant plants.

And the best part? All you need is a pack of bobby pins!

Credit: TikTok/@plantswithkrystal

Krystal's method for encouraging leaf growth on her neon pothos is both creative and effective.

So, how does Krystal make use of bobby pins to grow plants?

In her video, the plant enthusiast said that all you need to do is to pin the stem into the soil before inserting bobby pins next to each node.

Krystal explained that the method ensures that the plant gets the nutrients it needs to produce new leaves.

She also noted that aside from neon pothos, the tip also works for string of pearls and devil's ivy plants.

uK_XYotPRCWxq7qsZi9DqHIhoags2vwopH-rrI9sBkgWhW5kxwiA2-N63mZjF_Lfm8RYoHHxXSUZDGeUphncBJyyuMd9-Xg7jdJVVn_56rEgfUqqEPtPCTDbpZvRRUtsORkovNBqlQ5edHPB

A plant enthusiast took to TikTok to share how an unlikely hair accessory can help you grow plants easily. Credit: TikTok/@plantswithkrystal.

The hack has proven its popularity among plant keepers, amassing more than 380,000 views.

One person wrote: "Thanks this is exactly the problem I have with my pothos right now!"

"It's like you read my mind. Every time I have a plant thought it's like you come out with a video on that topic. Get out of my head!" another joked.

A third added: "Oh wow… Game changer!"

A handful of commenters claimed that Krystal's tip is not always successful.

One person said: "I am not discouraging anyone from doing this as I've seen it work for many people but for me every time it turns brown and dies. I think it's my water."

To which Krystal responded with: "Really? oh man! I've grown my other strands that way. I just have to keep the pins down when I water."

WTayBpfP32Ur9x6Wi7Jx4ughbLegnyYhANVtoRHgSmDCRWlVYX6O2bOO2Bqa6wTAHPJBk1fwSx6y_MvPkSfZp1qoQXNu4rmnlxaZUcV1jnrAYd75A4p4CY9EN2nC8wNubFBtBrpoJvrrHjSH

The tip also works for string of pearls and devil's ivy plants. Credit: TikTok/@plantswithkrystal.

We're not sure how well this hack actually works, but it's definitely worth a try if you're looking for a way to boost plant growth. And it's definitely cheaper than buying a fancy grow light!

If ever you try this tip and find that standard bobby pins are too narrow for your plant, you may also try using wider pins such as bun pins and floristry pins.

Have you tried this hack? Better yet, do you have hassle-free tips for propagating plants? Let us know in the comments below.

It works I’ve been doing it for quite a while

Reactions: Ricci