Plan to reduce pension access for claimants with drug and alcohol-related conditions is scrapped

The Albanese government has put an end to a disability support pension (DSP) proposal that would have made it more difficult for claimants with drug and alcohol-related illnesses to access pensions.

A spokesperson for the Department of Social Services confirmed the development as part of the budget process.

‘The reversal of this measure is a clean slate on this issue, as the department continues its review of the disability support pension impairment tables,’ they said.

A similar move gained ground in 2018 under the former Coalition government, but it was rejected by the Senate.

But despite this plan being scrapped, the Albanese government is still being pressured to act on problems with the structure of the DSP.

In 2021, a Senate inquiry found ‘serious flaws’ with the disability support pension system, which led to recommendations of improvements such as allowing applicants to qualify for DSP with an accumulated 20 points and not 20 points under one assessment table.

For an applicant to qualify, they must satisfy strict requirements such as obtaining a 20-point ‘severe’ rating under one table.

vgsbgvka.png
The government has backed down on a proposal that would have endangered the access of those with drug and alcohol-related issues from disability support. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Cottonbro Studio

The government uses various tables to assess applicants for DSP, which covers many bodily functions such as brain function, digestive and reproductive function, and limb function.

The inquiry, led by Greens senator Janet Rice (we’ve included a useful video at the end of the article), also pushed for the review of a rule requiring a condition to be ‘fully diagnosed, treated, and stabilised’ over concerns it holds back many people with systemic access issues from getting aid.

Now, the Albanese government has proposed new impairment tables as part of once-a-decade reviews on rules governing disability pension eligibility.

‘The proposed changes to the Impairment Tables are to improve consistency, address advancements in medical technology and terminology, provide clearer guidance and improve accessibility.’ the Department of Social Services said.

‘The changes aim to ensure there is better clarity around eligibility for the Disability Support Pension.’

Other key changes are requirements for health conditions to just be ‘diagnosed, reasonably treated, and stabilised’ to qualify for DSP.

Persons with conditions like cancer are also expected to have easier access to DSP, while those with mental health conditions must first obtain evidence from registered psychologists.

pexels-photo-2610963.jpg
A 2021 Senate review found many points for improvement in Australia’s disability guidelines. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Anas Aldyab

But the new tables have received mixed reactions, with some concerned they are still preventing many people in need of financial aid from accessing disability aid.

For one, Rice claimed the changes were ‘a few minor tweaks’ that ignored her Senate panel’s findings in 2021.

One key criticism from her was that the rule on illnesses being ‘diagnosed, reasonably treated, and stabilised’ should have been scrapped outright as it still presented a hurdle for those with disabilities.

This is an opinion shared by Kristin O’Connor, a DSP recipient and spokesperson of the Antipoverty Centre.

‘If it’s functionally impairing you, why should you need to have those criteria fulfilled?’ she asked.

Others also saw the need for improvement despite the welcome changes.

‘Too often the word “unable” appears in the suggested reforms, rather than “experiences severe difficulty in performing”,’ said Ian Turton of the Illawarra Legal Centre.

‘These are meant to assess their ability to work. In the workplace, the issue isn’t the ability to do something once off and then rest. It’s “can this person sustain tasks like this in a work-based environment?”’

‘Some of the tables are still an “all or nothing” test. I’ve seen Centrelink lawyers say, “This client picked up a pen, which means they can lean forward and pick up a light object”, which is one of the tests in the tables. There are too many gotcha moments in the changes.’

Australian Council of Social Service Chief Executive Cassandra Goldie meanwhile found a few things to celebrate in the revised impairment tables, such as improved recognition of disabilities and conditions, including neurodiversity.

‘Ultimately, however, amendments to the impairment tables can only go so far,’ she said.

‘The real issues with access to DSP will still need to be addressed.’

Key Takeaways

• The Albanese government has backed down from a proposal that would have made it harder for people with drug and alcohol-related conditions to get access to the disability support pension.
  • Advocates have had mixed reactions to the proposed revisions, which have been criticised by welfare groups for blocking many people from government support.
  • But advocates say the language in some of the new impairment tables would be problematic for some applicants.

DSP varies on a case-to-case basis, but the maximum basic rate for a single person aged 21 and above without a child per fortnight is currently $936.80.

Figures from the Department of Social Services earlier revealed that around 358,000 Australians, about 43.1%, on JobSeeker payment only had a ‘partial capacity to work’ for 15-30 hours weekly.

These people included those with various ailments, including cancer, musculoskeletal or connective tissue diseases, and mental health conditions.

What is your reaction to this story? What other changes do you think could be done so more people with disabilities can access the disability support pension?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/Australian Greens

Sponsored
As a 45 year old who has been on DSP due to mental health issues most of my life, (I was moved from Newstart to DSP in 2007 by a supportive Centrelink employee in Perth, WA). It’s unfortunate most of them don’t realise what it’s like living with it. I have lost friends I’ve had for over 20+ years because they didn’t and refused to understand it. If someone who hasn’t experienced mental health issues and are supposedly close to you and won’t support you, how do we trust the government can do the right thing by us?? I have a friend whose granddaughter in her late 20’s, suffers from severe PCOS, migraines and mental health issues as well. She is bedridden most of the time from these debilitating symptoms. She does work from home which is great her company allows her to do that, she started out working in the office, but her bosses have taken her issues into consideration. As long as she gets her work done, they understand that she can’t work normal, long hours yet with taking her much needed breaks etc, it’s working kind of, for her. But what about the people that can’t do that? This young lady has been refused DSP several times only because of her age. It’s heartbreaking to see her stress about not being able to get her work done if she has a really bad day.

I worked for many years and loved my job . But after surgery gone very wrong I suffer pain in my stomach and back and the worst thing is severe depression and anxiety.

I was one of those who use to think why can't someone control their mind and thoughts.

After my surgery in November 2019, I went from a person who helped others, worked hard and enjoyed life. Now I've gone to someone who sometimes just can't get out of bed, who cries for no reason, who sees nothing but blackness, there you go I'm shaking and crying now.

I've been seeing a psychologist for over a year at a cost of $180, I get a certain ammount each year under Medicare but unless I've hit the threshold I am still out of pocket $80.

I had to stop work beginning of 2021 due to the chronic infection in my stomach and depression, I went on jobseeker which I have to give a medical certificate every 3 months

My psychologist told me on Wednesday to apply for disability payment that she will do my forms. I'm on Lyrica for nerve pain and Escitalopram for depression.
Both my GP and psychologist want me to see a psychiatrist to get stronger medication.

I haven't applied for DSP as people have told me it's hard to go on although my brother who is 4 years younger than me , he is 57 has been on it for 5 years due to being an alcoholic .

This is the first time I've been on centrelink, I've always worked and paid my taxes and became the breed winner 15 years ago.

They need to fix this and give it too the people who need it

I worked for many years and loved my job . But after surgery gone very wrong I suffer pain in my stomach and back and the worst thing is severe depression and anxiety.

I was one of those who use to think why can't someone control their mind and thoughts.

After my surgery in November 2019, I went from a person who helped others, worked hard and enjoyed life. Now I've gone to someone who sometimes just can't get out of bed, who cries for no reason, who sees nothing but blackness, there you go I'm shaking and crying now.

I've been seeing a psychologist for over a year at a cost of $180, I get a certain ammount each year under Medicare but unless I've hit the threshold I am still out of pocket $80.

I had to stop work beginning of 2021 due to the chronic infection in my stomach and depression, I went on jobseeker which I have to give a medical certificate every 3 months

My psychologist told me on Wednesday to apply for disability payment that she will do my forms. I'm on Lyrica for nerve pain and Escitalopram for depression.
Both my GP and psychologist want me to see a psychiatrist to get stronger medication.

I haven't applied for DSP as people have told me it's hard to go on although my brother who is 4 years younger than me , he is 57 has been on it for 5 years due to being an alcoholic .

This is the first time I've been on centrelink, I've always worked and paid my taxes and became the breed winner 15 years ago.

They need to fix this and give it too the people who need it
I completely understand the blackness and not being able to foresee anything. I loved working and even now I help my parents and their friends with tech stuff or getting onto telstra with complaints etc.

You’re case is definitely one that you NEED to be on DSP! The stress from having to get those medical certificates is making your mental health issues worse. I know because I went through that!

As you mentioned the psychologist appointments. Yes you get some little rebate but you still need to pay that upfront. I can’t afford that. I’m limited to “free” mental health services due to being in a regional area. Also being a single middle-aged female without children, there’s no support services for us. We fall through the cracks. I have tried the free counselling but I couldn’t do it. Having agoraphobia as well, I find it hard to gel with people, if I don’t feel comfortable, I can’t open up!
Although I’m doing great on here! 😁

I had to go through several medications before they found the correct one for me so I agree you should try and find a psychiatrist. They’re generally more expensive and It stupidly takes forever to get in for your initial appointment.

I wish you well Suzanne, and I really hope the government pulls their heads outta their wazoos to realise people like you need DSP More so than alcoholics or addicts. Nobody put a gun to their head and made them drink or take drugs, it was their choice!

Whereas people like us, we don’t have a choice x

The Albanese government has put an end to a disability support pension (DSP) proposal that would have made it more difficult for claimants with drug and alcohol-related illnesses to access pensions.

A spokesperson for the Department of Social Services confirmed the development as part of the budget process.

‘The reversal of this measure is a clean slate on this issue, as the department continues its review of the disability support pension impairment tables,’ they said.

A similar move gained ground in 2018 under the former Coalition government, but it was rejected by the Senate.

But despite this plan being scrapped, the Albanese government is still being pressured to act on problems with the structure of the DSP.

In 2021, a Senate inquiry found ‘serious flaws’ with the disability support pension system, which led to recommendations of improvements such as allowing applicants to qualify for DSP with an accumulated 20 points and not 20 points under one assessment table.

For an applicant to qualify, they must satisfy strict requirements such as obtaining a 20-point ‘severe’ rating under one table.

View attachment 9428
The government has backed down on a proposal that would have endangered the access of those with drug and alcohol-related issues from disability support. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Cottonbro Studio

The government uses various tables to assess applicants for DSP, which covers many bodily functions such as brain function, digestive and reproductive function, and limb function.

The inquiry, led by Greens senator Janet Rice (we’ve included a useful video at the end of the article), also pushed for the review of a rule requiring a condition to be ‘fully diagnosed, treated, and stabilised’ over concerns it holds back many people with systemic access issues from getting aid.

Now, the Albanese government has proposed new impairment tables as part of once-a-decade reviews on rules governing disability pension eligibility.

‘The proposed changes to the Impairment Tables are to improve consistency, address advancements in medical technology and terminology, provide clearer guidance and improve accessibility.’ the Department of Social Services said.

‘The changes aim to ensure there is better clarity around eligibility for the Disability Support Pension.’

Other key changes are requirements for health conditions to just be ‘diagnosed, reasonably treated, and stabilised’ to qualify for DSP.

Persons with conditions like cancer are also expected to have easier access to DSP, while those with mental health conditions must first obtain evidence from registered psychologists.

View attachment 9427
A 2021 Senate review found many points for improvement in Australia’s disability guidelines. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Anas Aldyab

But the new tables have received mixed reactions, with some concerned they are still preventing many people in need of financial aid from accessing disability aid.

For one, Rice claimed the changes were ‘a few minor tweaks’ that ignored her Senate panel’s findings in 2021.

One key criticism from her was that the rule on illnesses being ‘diagnosed, reasonably treated, and stabilised’ should have been scrapped outright as it still presented a hurdle for those with disabilities.

This is an opinion shared by Kristin O’Connor, a DSP recipient and spokesperson of the Antipoverty Centre.

‘If it’s functionally impairing you, why should you need to have those criteria fulfilled?’ she asked.

‘Too often the word “unable” appears in the suggested reforms, rather than “experiences severe difficulty in performing”,’ said Ian Turton of the Illawarra Legal Centre.

‘These are meant to assess their ability to work. In the workplace, the issue isn’t the ability to do something once off and then rest. It’s “can this person sustain tasks like this in a work-based environment?”’

‘Some of the tables are still an “all or nothing” test. I’ve seen Centrelink lawyers say, “This client picked up a pen, which means they can lean forward and pick up a light object”, which is one of the tests in the tables. There are too many gotcha moments in the changes.’

Australian Council of Social Service Chief Executive Cassandra Goldie meanwhile found a few things to celebrate in the revised impairment tables, such as improved recognition of disabilities and conditions, including neurodiversity.

‘Ultimately, however, amendments to the impairment tables can only go so far,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• The Albanese government has backed down from a proposal that would have made it harder for people with drug and alcohol-related conditions to get access to the disability support pension.
  • Advocates have had mixed reactions to the proposed revisions, which have been criticised by welfare groups for blocking many people from government support.
  • But advocates say the language in some of the new impairment tables would be problematic for some applicants.

DSP varies on a case-to-case basis, but the maximum basic rate for a single person aged 21 and above without a child per fortnight is currently $936.80.

Figures from the Department of Social Services earlier revealed that around 358,000 Australians, about 43.1%, on JobSeeker payment only had a ‘partial capacity to work’ for 15-30 hours weekly.

These people included those with various ailments, including cancer, musculoskeletal or connective tissue diseases, and mental health conditions.

What is your reaction to this story? What other changes do you think could be done so more people with disabilities can access the disability support pension?

Good for people going through debilitating cancers etc, drug and alcohol however need to be monitored closely with consideration that people are genuinely trying to get sober even though it's a life long disease. Too many staying on methadone and other treatments for years and still using.

I completely understand the blackness and not being able to foresee anything. I loved working and even now I help my parents and their friends with tech stuff or getting onto telstra with complaints etc.

You’re case is definitely one that you NEED to be on DSP! The stress from having to get those medical certificates is making your mental health issues worse. I know because I went through that!

As you mentioned the psychologist appointments. Yes you get some little rebate but you still need to pay that upfront. I can’t afford that. I’m limited to “free” mental health services due to being in a regional area. Also being a single middle-aged female without children, there’s no support services for us. We fall through the cracks. I have tried the free counselling but I couldn’t do it. Having agoraphobia as well, I find it hard to gel with people, if I don’t feel comfortable, I can’t open up!
Although I’m doing great on here! 😁

I had to go through several medications before they found the correct one for me so I agree you should try and find a psychiatrist. They’re generally more expensive and It stupidly takes forever to get in for your initial appointment.

I wish you well Suzanne, and I really hope the government pulls their heads outta their wazoos to realise people like you need DSP More so than alcoholics or addicts. Nobody put a gun to their head and made them drink or take drugs, it was their choice!

Whereas people like us, we don’t have a choice x
It's 4 months to see a psychiatrist and $800 for first visit. My psychologist is trying to get me into a government one

View attachment 9428

View attachment 9427

Key Takeaways

I don't feel that drugs and alcohol are a dissabillity. The person chose to take those. People that can never work again due to back problems, (due to no fault of their own)that can't sit or stand for a period of time greater than 15mins should be able to get onto dissabillity payments, not anyone that continues to consume drugs and/or alcohol.

View attachment 9428

View attachment 9427

Key Takeaways

Drug and alcohol addiction is self inflicted and I don't think it should be classed as a disability there is always help available.

I had a car accident in 1978, and it's been an uphill battle to convince anyone, especially doctors, that I really do have a disability - just because I'm not in a wheelchair, it doesn't mean that the pain is any less. I can sit for limited periods, but even to carry a handbag around unless it's on my back, and even then, it's nearly impossible, as my muscles are aching all the time. My sleep is sometimes non-existent due to the pain.

I had a great chiropractor who I'd been seeing since 1986 when I moved to Canberra, and he actually diagnosed the fibromyalgia. He sent me to a doctor friend of his who had studied the condition and its co-morbidity with osetoarthritis, and agreed. Since then I've had to move away from Canberra (can't afford the rental market on a single pension), and have had no end of troubles convincing my now doctor that I actually have the condition, as most 'rural' doctors rarely come across the condition, let alone studied it.

Those who think that drug and alcohol addiction are not disabilities and are self inflicted are very very wrong. I used to be judgemental on these issues until I was personally affected in my family. There is very little help out there. Thank God for the Salvation Army and their rehab and 12 steps program who eventually saved us from this misery.

The whole system is a complete stuff up Sometimes I wonder if the people who work out who and who doesn't qualify have a degree in stupidity.
Many years ago, my daughter who has an intellectual disability, moved with us from WA to SA
On arrival we received paperwork requiring her to reapply for her DSP???
I assured them that if her disability was going to disappear because we crossed the Nullabor we would have done so many years before.
She was then reinstated, but 5 years later again same thing happened
A friend was also made to prove again that her son had downs syndrome.
Are these people who work in these govt departments complete morons, perhaps they should apply for the DSP themselves!!!
People with children who have complex conditions have enough stress and worry in their lives without all this crap.

View attachment 9428

View attachment 9427

Key Takeaways

My son is on dsp has been for half his life. He has 2 mental health issues,diagnosed in hospital. The struggle is so hard. He can seem normal (whatever that is) hold conversation but this is because he finally realised his condition is for life . And will take his meds. He will attend his ,now GP reviews , but if for some reason he misses his meds stay away .
He tried working some would try to trip him up would talk about him ( the last was his fault no safety hat watching for critters as branches were removed, he didn’t see the need, that shut down for tge day& he wasn’t asked back) so he has a diagnosis and he can’t handle money. DSP assists in him getting and taking his meds etc to appear average .He’s complicated oh don’t get into science or physics he will love it and he was no good at either at school . (I can’t afford him lol)

After several years of military service, I studied, retrained and worked in the same profession for four decades, that work eventually ruined my physical and mental health. My last job with Q Health ended when I was forcibly "retired" due to my declining health conditions.
Centrelink then decided that I was capable of working 30-40 hours a week.
"Newstart"???? What an insult to ones intelligence especially after fifty years of constant employment!
I took a ream of paperwork from consultant surgeons, physicians and psychiatrists, physiotherapists, occupational health and psychologists, including agents from Dept. of Veterans Affairs, all testifying to my disability, to C-link only to have it rejected by a brat with a checklist. The extra stress of having to apply for several jobs per week further weakened me.
It took five years of repeated applications and arguing with the dullards in C-link before I was finally accepted as being unfit to work. I was beginning to believe that the only evidence of disability, they would accept, would be my death certificate!

The fact is that Centrelink usurp the medical opinion of specialists. Surely if a specialist defines a disability, it is sufficient to access payment. I know of cases where up to 3 specialists have defined the disability but the claim was denied by Centrelink.

Those who think that drug and alcohol addiction are not disabilities and are self inflicted are very very wrong. I used to be judgemental on these issues until I was personally affected in my family. There is very little help out there. Thank God for the Salvation Army and their rehab and 12 steps program who eventually saved us from this misery.
I do agree that drug and alcohol problems cause great disability to the user, having a 50 year old son with drug problems.
However, I think the point that people are making is that was the choice of the user.In the case of my son, he has caused great stress and mental anguish in my life, thinking that every knock on the door could be the police to tell me he is dead.
Meanwhile, his sister (disabled) struggles on with her life and has been cursed with oral cancer 3 times.

Sorry, but I find it hard to sympathise with addicts, this was their choice.