phantomrose101

Mar 27, 2022
Phishing

Hi Everyone. I received 2 emails like this today. Have reported and forwarded to PayPal’s Phishing email. Be careful!

[email protected]
Date: 2 July 2024 at 22:49:50 AWST
To: [email protected]
Subject: You've got a money request

Hello, no-reply@conglos. onmicrosoft. com
PayPal
Stephen Bulgarelli sent you a money request
Payment request details
Amount requested
$378.87 USD
Note from Stephen Bulgarelli:
Payment preauthorized and auto-renewal successful. Expect payment to reflect within 48 hours. M”cafee protection is now active. Ignore as paid already For support, contact +1 888 299 7623
Transaction ID
U-0214371656785020Y
Transaction date
July 2, 2024
Don't recognize this request?
Before paying, make sure you recognize this person. Don't engage with this request if you're unsure about it. PayPal won't contact you through a money request. Learn moreabout common security threats and how to spot them.
PayPal

Help & Contact | Security | Apps
Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
LinkedIn
PayPal is committed to preventing fraudulent emails. Emails from PayPal will always contain your full name. Learn to identify phishing
Please don't reply to this email. To get in touch with us, click Help & Contact.
Not sure why you received this email? Learn more

Copyright © 1999-2024 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
PayPal RT000186:en_US(en-US):1.3.0:f624aed151503
ts

Hi there, I have had the same problem. I had to block my debit card, and then cancel it cause. The bank re-issued new card, but takes about 5 days.! I contacted PayPal, and they said that it was going to collections! I will now pay out the remaining balance, but I won’t use PayPal again. The hacker was someone in Canada. Good luck with your stress. Gezabel.

Reactions: Ezzy and Gersman
Well done phantomrose1.
Thanks for sharing. Good work on letting Paypal's Phishing Dept know.

Very happy to know Paypal is not directly involved in this.

There is a bit of google search traffic about this and the name Stephen Bulgarelli going back some time.

The text is from a spoofed legit paypal number, the 1800 number is the number for the scam, do not call it.
Thanks Gersman. Heaps of spoofed numbers getting around. Banks reporting they are being hit constantly by hacker-types and well as having their numbers spoofed.

Well done phantomrose1.
Thanks for sharing. Good work on letting Paypal's Phishing Dept know.

Very happy to know Paypal is not directly involved in this.

There is a bit of google search traffic about this and the name Stephen Bulgarelli going back some time.
Yes got it. Went into the App to check. Thanks for the reminder. Be careful out there

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock
Yes I also received a scary email on 8th July late at night from supposedly PayPal saying a request for $199.99 from a Mackenzie McCarty McCarty was pending and was to be paid on the 9th July. Of course I was concerned and went into my PayPal account and YES it was showing on my account that this payment was pending to be paid on the 9th. I freaked and had to wait until 8am the next morning to contact PayPal as the resolution tab on the website was not connecting for me. They assured me that until I actually approved the transaction they would not have paid. Whew! Apparently because I had bought something recently through either facebook or instagram that this is where they (BITCON) have got my details and Pay Pal account details. If I had of paid by my credit card direct and not through PayPal I would of lost nearly $200. Lesson learnt ALWAYS GO TO THE WEBSITE TO PURCHASE GOODS- NOT THROUGH FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM . ThankGod I use Paypal where ever I can.....

Yes I also received a scary email on 8th July late at night from supposedly PayPal saying a request for $199.99 from a Mackenzie McCarty McCarty was pending and was to be paid on the 9th July. Of course I was concerned and went into my PayPal account and YES it was showing on my account that this payment was pending to be paid on the 9th. I freaked and had to wait until 8am the next morning to contact PayPal as the resolution tab on the website was not connecting for me. They assured me that until I actually approved the transaction they would not have paid. Whew! Apparently because I had bought something recently through either facebook or instagram that this is where they (BITCON) have got my details and Pay Pal account details. If I had of paid by my credit card direct and not through PayPal I would have lost nearly $200. Lesson learnt ALWAYS GO TO THE WEBSITE TO PURCHASE GOODS- NOT THROUGH FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM . ThankGod I use Paypal where ever I can.....
Always worry though if PayPal is on express payment

Reactions: Nana Zorak
Yes I also received a scary email on 8th July late at night from supposedly PayPal saying a request for $199.99 from a Mackenzie McCarty McCarty was pending and was to be paid on the 9th July. Of course I was concerned and went into my PayPal account and YES it was showing on my account that this payment was pending to be paid on the 9th. I freaked and had to wait until 8am the next morning to contact PayPal as the resolution tab on the website was not connecting for me. They assured me that until I actually approved the transaction they would not have paid. Whew! Apparently because I had bought something recently through either facebook or instagram that this is where they (BITCON) have got my details and Pay Pal account details. If I had of paid by my credit card direct and not through PayPal I would of lost nearly $200. Lesson learnt ALWAYS GO TO THE WEBSITE TO PURCHASE GOODS- NOT THROUGH FACEBOOK OR INSTAGRAM . ThankGod I use Paypal where ever I can.....

Thank you, that's a well put together story. Easily read and understood. Leaves no doubt as to what happened, and what not to do.