'Petrifying' sacs discovered in this mum's backyard! What could they be?

Content warning: This story discusses themes that may trigger arachnophobia. Please be advised.

For some, the heart of every home is the garden, providing much-needed outdoor respite with many plants and trees to bring beauty and serenity to the area.

But, as a mum found out very recently, there can be surprises lurking among the foliage–and it may not always be the pleasant kind.

Ashlee, a mum of two from the Sutherland Shire, was in for a 'petrifying' shock when she discovered a cluster of strange pods hanging from one of her palm trees.

'The palm branch is up high and poolside on my path to the clothesline. I just happened to look up this time', Ashlee recalled.

Photo_20230831_120152_0000.png
A cluster of strange pods was seen hanging from a mum’s backyard palm tree. Image source: Yahoo News / Ashlee.

She shared photos of the sacs, each about the size of a pear, and said she had ‘never seen anything like it’.

Unable to contain her curiosity over this peculiar find, Ashlee quickly took to a local community social media group to ask for answers.

The verdict? It was soon established that the pods contained spider eggs belonging to an Australian species known as the Magnificent Spider (Ordgarius magnificus).

‘I am petrified of spiders,’ Hannah said.

‘I had a hunch it was a spider, but they looked way too big,’ she added.

‘I honestly want to tear down the branch as I have two young girls under two, but that means getting near it.’

A single sac can hold up to about 600 of these distinctive spiders, making for up to 3,600 potential hatchlings in Ashlee's garden.

Magnificent Spiders are often mistaken for dangerous critters, but they are completely non-venomous and harmless to humans according to Simon Hinkley, Museums Victoria Research Institute's Collection Manager of Terrestrial Invertebrates.

Magnificent Spiders dwell in native trees in dry and wet Australian forests and sometimes pop up in suburban gardens.

The spider earned its 'sushi' and 'marshmallow' nicknames due to the unique markings on its abdomen.

‘The female magnificent spider is very distinctive in its markings. It is white with two bright yellow knobs on its abdomen, and a number of salmon-coloured spots and blotches as well,’ the Australian Museum explained.

Some_image.width-800.c2ea78f.jpg
The Magnificent Spider has been called ‘sushi’ or ‘marshmallow’ spider. Image source: Australian Museum.

Ashlee’s post garnered attention from other users on social media. Surprisingly, despite the general aversion to spiders people have, some expressed awe at the mum’s garden discovery.

A user said, ‘Omg never seen anything like this.’

‘Beautiful...bring them to [my garden]! Don't kill them,’ another added.

And of course, some didn’t let the opportunity for cheeky humour pass, with a third mentioning the pods looked like ‘aliens’.

Ashlee, upon learning what they really were, said: ‘I’m thinking I may need to hire someone to perform a ritual or burn the house.’

In response, a calmer user recommended ‘cutting off the palm frond and placing it somewhere away from your house’.
Key Takeaways

• A Sydney mum discovered six pear-shaped sacs hanging from a palm tree in her backyard, prompting her to consider removing the tree.
  • The sacs, which many on social media believed to be spider eggs belonging to the Magnificent Spider, naturally caused fear as they could potentially contain up to 3,600 spiders.
  • Although the spiders are not harmful to humans, they are commonly found in both dry and wet Australian forests and have been known to appear in suburban gardens.
  • Ashlee, the mother who made the discovery, expressed her fear and joked about possibly hiring someone to perform a ritual or burn the house down.
As you very well know, Australia is also home to very dangerous spiders.

We previously shared the story of a man advised against killing a venomous funnel-web spider for a rather practical reason. You can read more on this story here.

How about you, members? Have you ever seen these pods in your backyard before? What other spiders have you roaming around your home? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Content warning: This story discusses themes that may trigger arachnophobia. Please be advised.

For some, the heart of every home is the garden, providing much-needed outdoor respite with many plants and trees to bring beauty and serenity to the area.

But, as a mum found out very recently, there can be surprises lurking among the foliage–and it may not always be the pleasant kind.

Ashlee, a mum of two from the Sutherland Shire, was in for a 'petrifying' shock when she discovered a cluster of strange pods hanging from one of her palm trees.

'The palm branch is up high and poolside on my path to the clothesline. I just happened to look up this time', Ashlee recalled.

View attachment 28776
A cluster of strange pods was seen hanging from a mum’s backyard palm tree. Image source: Yahoo News / Ashlee.

She shared photos of the sacs, each about the size of a pear, and said she had ‘never seen anything like it’.

Unable to contain her curiosity over this peculiar find, Ashlee quickly took to a local community social media group to ask for answers.

The verdict? It was soon established that the pods contained spider eggs belonging to an Australian species known as the Magnificent Spider (Ordgarius magnificus).

‘I honestly want to tear down the branch as I have two young girls under two, but that means getting near it.’

A single sac can hold up to about 600 of these distinctive spiders, making for up to 3,600 potential hatchlings in Ashlee's garden.

Magnificent Spiders are often mistaken for dangerous critters, but they are completely non-venomous and harmless to humans according to Simon Hinkley, Museums Victoria Research Institute's Collection Manager of Terrestrial Invertebrates.

Magnificent Spiders dwell in native trees in dry and wet Australian forests and sometimes pop up in suburban gardens.

The spider earned its 'sushi' and 'marshmallow' nicknames due to the unique markings on its abdomen.

‘The female magnificent spider is very distinctive in its markings. It is white with two bright yellow knobs on its abdomen, and a number of salmon-coloured spots and blotches as well,’ the Australian Museum explained.

View attachment 28777
The Magnificent Spider has been called ‘sushi’ or ‘marshmallow’ spider. Image source: Australian Museum.

Ashlee’s post garnered attention from other users on social media. Surprisingly, despite the general aversion to spiders people have, some expressed awe at the mum’s garden discovery.

And of course, some didn’t let the opportunity for cheeky humour pass, with a third mentioning the pods looked like ‘aliens’.

Ashlee, upon learning what they really were, said: ‘I’m thinking I may need to hire someone to perform a ritual or burn the house.’

In response, a calmer user recommended ‘cutting off the palm frond and placing it somewhere away from your house’.
Key Takeaways

• A Sydney mum discovered six pear-shaped sacs hanging from a palm tree in her backyard, prompting her to consider removing the tree.
  • The sacs, which many on social media believed to be spider eggs belonging to the Magnificent Spider, naturally caused fear as they could potentially contain up to 3,600 spiders.
  • Although the spiders are not harmful to humans, they are commonly found in both dry and wet Australian forests and have been known to appear in suburban gardens.
  • Ashlee, the mother who made the discovery, expressed her fear and joked about possibly hiring someone to perform a ritual or burn the house down.

We previously shared the story of a man advised against killing a venomous funnel-web spider for a rather practical reason. You can read more on this story here.

How about you, members? Have you ever seen these pods in your backyard before? What other spiders have you roaming around your home? Share them with us in the comments below!
MORTEIN!! RAID!! PEA-BEAU!!! Once bitten twice shy especially after being bitten by a spider that caused my foot and half the lower part of a leg to swell up and turn bluish purple plus a afternoon in hospital on a drip and 2-3 weeks antibiotics. The leg/foot survived but now every spider dies no matter what. No sympathy for the critters. Don't care. I chose me over them. I'm not risking going through that again.

• Love
Reactions: Granny*Deb
MORTEIN!! RAID!! PEA-BEAU!!! Once bitten twice shy especially after being bitten by a spider that caused my foot and half the lower part of a leg to swell up and turn bluish purple plus a afternoon in hospital on a drip and 2-3 weeks antibiotics. The leg/foot survived but now every spider dies no matter what. No sympathy for the critters. Don't care. I chose me over them. I'm not risking going through that again.
😥

View attachment 28776

View attachment 28777

Key Takeaways

A rather pretty spider but the picture shows it having only 6 legs. Spiders have 8 legs.

View attachment 28776

View attachment 28777

Key Takeaways

Absolutely harmless to humans. Please don't kill them.

My husband says I'm decidedly strange. I'm not scared of spiders, snakes, lizards, goannas or such.
But, I freak out at moths, don't like chooks, can't take fish off the line or go into the bird aviary, I can't stand anything that "flaps,"
After reading this I actually think he may be right. lol

My husband says I'm decidedly strange. I'm not scared of spiders, snakes, lizards, goannas or such.
But, I freak out at moths, don't like chooks, can't take fish off the line or go into the bird aviary, I can't stand anything that "flaps,"
"can't stand anything that flaps" ... I am surprised that you entered this thread! It seems that there are a lot of people that flap away about a little spider. Heh heh heh.

😂😂