'People are very desperate': Aussies resort to drastic measures amid cost-of-living crisis

In the face of a relentless cost-of-living crisis, Australians are getting creative—and sometimes controversial—in their strategies to save money.

With budgets stretched thin, the line between frugality and fraudulence is becoming increasingly blurred for some.

Sports and comedy podcast Kick it Forward asked their audience about their money-saving tips.

Their responses ranged from harmless free food schemes to suspicious activities.

Starting with the clever hacks that won't land shoppers in hot water, Coles and Woolworths offer vouchers for a free roast chicken if they're out of stock.

compressed-Australian Dollar.jpeg
Aussies shared their ways of saving money on a podcast. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Andrzej Rostek

This tip may need effort and timing, but it's a great way to snag free food that could last several meals.

Shoppers need to check the stores' policies and hours for this offer, and it is not available online.

There's a silver lining for Victoria renters if their landlords decide to sell the property they are living in.

Renters should be entitled to compensation for the inconvenience of inspections.

This compensation could vary from up to half a day's rent or $30, whichever is greater.

One Kick it Forward listener shared that they made around $450 by exercising this right.

Some Aussies admitted to pretending to be someone else to score discounts or freebies.

This included impersonating shopping centre employees for retail discounts.

Other comments pretend to be delivery drivers at fast food restaurants and walk away with an unpaid order.

While these schemes could save a few dollars, they could lead to legal trouble.

A commenter has been using a subscription trick involving bank cards with no funds to avoid paying for streaming services.

The rise in retail theft also became a prevalent issue.

Some Australians now view shoplifting as a 'badge of honour' to make ends meet.

Cases of supermarket theft led to several drastic security measures, such as cameras on checkout counters or GPS devices on fresh produce.

These measures also contribute to higher prices as stores recoup their losses.

Finder's personal finance expert Sarah Megginson spoke about the lengths some Aussies go to in order to shave dollars off their monthly expenses.

'People are very desperate, and they are driven to those measures,' Megginson stated.

'There's no part of our budget that is not being impacted at the moment, so people are literally looking at any opportunity they can to save.'

Watch a clip of the Kick it Forward podcast here:

Source: @thekickitforwardpodcast/TikTok

While it's understandable to want to save money wherever possible, illegal actions will always have consequences.

Not only could shoppers face legal repercussions, but these actions can also have a broader impact on the community and economy.
Key Takeaways

• Australians started adopting various tactics to save money due to the cost-of-living crisis.
  • Major supermarkets started offering vouchers for free roast chickens, which some customers take advantage of.
  • Other shoppers resort to less ethical tactics, with a significant percentage of Australians justifying retail theft under financial pressures.
  • Finder's personal finance expert Sarah Megginson cautioned against certain practices like pretending to be disabled for discounts, which count as fraud.
What do you think of some of these 'money-saving tips'? Share your experiences or budgeting tips in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Shoplifting is so easy! I witnessed an acquaintance casually stroll out of a Melbourne JB Hi Fi with a 65 inch Samsung television still in the box! He even said thank you to the security dumbo at the door!
I must look guilty then ! J B security always have asked to see my receipt 😂

its still stealing and ends up eventually adding to the basic cost of products as part of overheads...so dont complain about the outrageous cost of something because the price has little to do with the actual product but the merchandising of it which includes pilfering, breakages, damage etc

Up until 24 years ago before my partner passed away I found it hard just going from payday to payday. He had to have his beer every day which meant I was I was finding it hard to get meals. After he passed I started paying a small amount into my electricity,gas,rent and pharmacy for my medications. It was a struggle but I finally managed to get in credit with them all and now have no bills. I still pay in each fortnight and am now left with a nice amount to feed me. I don't go out, get takeaway or anything like that but feel great knowing I'm not going to get a bill where I have to try get the money to pay them. I don't own a house, no super or savings to fall back on but feel secure.

I've seen too many people take advantage of free meals, food stamps etc.
Yes, we are ALL struggling, but they need to see people who are literally malnourished and underfed - even starving, and living in the dark with no heat.
Unless you are in that situation, you are NOT eligible for freebies.
Every time you take one, you are starving someone else.
The temptation is there, but so is it in every store on the planet. You may not be stealing from a store owner, but now, even worse, stealing from the most vulnerable.
People have to learn the difference between Want and Need!

Last edited:
Some of 5he people that steal from supermarkets are not necessarily on the poverty line. I know of people that go to places that give out food to the disadvantaged, and they can certainly afford to buy food.
Yes I must agree. There are a lot of freeloaders about. It's terrible when they can buy food themselves but they are taking out of the mouths of those that need it and can't afford it. Should be ashamed of themselves but they don't care as long as they can get freebies
Think I might have ratted on this person
Well they deserved it. That's worth $900 at least. They were in the wrong and where do they get off thinking they can just take things without paying for them. They actually cause harm to innocent people as well but don't give them a second thought. Good on you♥️😍

Reactions: Ezzy
Just be honest.
I have never had things in my life, eldest of 11 children and had 9 of my own. Doesn't leave money left over for special treats and that. I have managed in the last 24 years to make sure my bills were paid and with paying a little extra each payday have managed to get in credit with all my bills, Telstra, gas and electricity and my chemist. I haven't got money leftover but know I'm bill free. Feels good, but never think of shoplifting or stealing from anyone. I have a free conscience and can easily live myself. I feel proud in what I have achieved for the first time in my life. Growing up it was a case of if you can't afford something go without.