Pensioners to receive $20 per fortnight boost to their payments — here are all the details

Some Centrelink recipients can expect an increase in their payments starting this Sunday, March 20.

Pensioners, including both the aged and disability support pension recipients, along with their carers, will receive a boost to their payments as the federal government seeks to cover rising inflation.

The boost means a $20.10 per fortnight increase for individuals to $987.60 and a $30.20 increase for couples combined at $1488.80.

Asset test limits will also receive a boost, allowing more Australians to access a part pension.

The move means the asset cap will rise by $6,750 to $599,750 for single homeowners, while a $10,000 boost to $901,500 for homeowner couples.

It was reported that almost five million people will benefit from the aforementioned payments.

However, Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese called out the government for being "out of touch", labelling the move as a "spin" to the situation.

“This government is so out of touch that they’re prepared to spin out there saying how well pensioners are going to be off,” he said.

“When they get to the supermarket to buy products they find that everything‘s gone up."

“The rise in the pension will not keep up with the costs of living. Pensioners are doing it really tough at the moment.”

Credit: YouTube/Sky News Australia

Meanwhile, Social Services Minister Anne Ruston described the boost in pension payments as "putting money in the pockets of all Australians who rely on our social security system”.

It was reported that other measures to alleviate the impacts of the post-pandemic economic recovery and the Ukraine-Russia conflict — which caused the tremendous hike in fuel prices — to the cost of living are being considered by the federal government.

Additionally, calls to increase the disability support pension by $100 per fortnight are being campaigned.

It was said that the current pension payments for disabled people are below the minimum wage of $1,545 per fortnight — in fact, even with the $100 increase, the total would only be $987.60, which is still way below the minimum.

Rent assist payments will also receive a “boost”, with singles getting an additional $3 per fortnight to $145.80, for families with up to two children an additional $3.50 to $171.50, and for families with three kids or more will receive an additional $3.92 to $193.62 next week. With increases so low, it’s hard to see how this is a “boost”.

gfgl8pm__Qs_ACrarW3ds8Ivb4CXbcythmIamg4UFIvrSbPBLrdbX-MMFVrAEUHAOjB9WrHS_LzEUFK3iun9SGKFHyz_0g3Foos9TNKq8rxv5W6x2IhlErM-YSaEockkxypfodM

The move was described as "putting money in the pockets of all Australians who rely on our social security system”. Credit: AAP/Julian Smith.

So, there you have it, folks! We encourage our members who are pensioners to check their accounts for additional funds.

In case you have received emails that are asking for your personal information so Centrelink can give you a refund or a boost, please check this article where we explained how scammers are using email accounts to disguise themselves as myGov employees and what you can do to avoid getting scammed.

Let us know in the comments below what you think about this new pension boost? Will it be enough at the rate in which the price of living is increasing?

Sponsored
It’s not going to help me much at all because of the CPI being 3.5% this year I now have been told my rent is going up $14 a fortnight so that leaves me with $6 so how’s that going to cover petrol and food because they have all risen, it’s a joke that they think we can live on this, I would like to see them try to live on the pension, rant over.

• Sad
Reactions: Nonna24 and Ricci
To all the people who find this increase not enough, a joke, insulting etc., you can all transfer your increase to me........ I will be very grateful and thankful, and you won't have to stress about what to do with the extra 20 bucks.... Thank you all for your generosity

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Unfortunately this isn’t going to help me much! 10.00 a week! I have to be very careful when I do my weekly shopping now!
Big deal everything up in price in the next budget Gas electricty you name it will go up huge boost in Pension who are they kidding I feel for the unemployed they are even getting a lower amount My friend tells me $16 a fortnight that is disgusting my friend is 62 years of aget cannot work because of health problems her rent will probably go up $3.00 per fortnight rent assisant that is indeed an insult

• Sad
Many people struggle on the pension.Our parliament people receive a high wage and when they retire they get a whopping pension so they can holiday all over the world.nana@goulburn

Pensioners to receive $20 per fortnight boost to their payments — here are all the details

Some Centrelink recipients can expect an increase in their payments starting this Sunday, March 20.

Pensioners, including both the aged and disability support pension recipients, along with their carers, will receive a boost to their payments as the federal government seeks to cover rising inflation.

The boost means a $20.10 per fortnight increase for individuals to $987.60 and a $30.20 increase for couples combined at $1488.80.

Asset test limits will also receive a boost, allowing more Australians to access a part pension.

The move means the asset cap will rise by $6,750 to $599,750 for single homeowners, while a $10,000 boost to $901,500 for homeowner couples.

It was reported that almost five million people will benefit from the aforementioned payments.

However, Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese called out the government for being "out of touch", labelling the move as a "spin" to the situation.

“This government is so out of touch that they’re prepared to spin out there saying how well pensioners are going to be off,” he said.

“When they get to the supermarket to buy products they find that everything‘s gone up."

“The rise in the pension will not keep up with the costs of living. Pensioners are doing it really tough at the moment.”

Meanwhile, Social Services Minister Anne Ruston described the boost in pension payments as "putting money in the pockets of all Australians who rely on our social security system”.

It was reported that other measures to alleviate the impacts of the post-pandemic economic recovery and the Ukraine-Russia conflict — which caused the tremendous hike in fuel prices — to the cost of living are being considered by the federal government.

Additionally, calls to increase the disability support pension by $100 per fortnight are being campaigned.

It was said that the current pension payments for disabled people are below the minimum wage of $1,545 per fortnight — in fact, even with the $100 increase, the total would only be $987.60, which is still way below the minimum.

Rent assist payments will also receive a “boost”, with singles getting an additional $3 per fortnight to $145.80, for families with up to two children an additional $3.50 to $171.50, and for families with three kids or more will receive an additional $3.92 to $193.62 next week. With increases so low, it’s hard to see how this is a “boost”.

gfgl8pm__Qs_ACrarW3ds8Ivb4CXbcythmIamg4UFIvrSbPBLrdbX-MMFVrAEUHAOjB9WrHS_LzEUFK3iun9SGKFHyz_0g3Foos9TNKq8rxv5W6x2IhlErM-YSaEockkxypfodM

The move was described as "putting money in the pockets of all Australians who rely on our social security system”. Credit: AAP/Julian Smith.

So, there you have it, folks! We encourage our members who are pensioners to check their accounts for additional funds.

In case you have received emails that are asking for your personal information so Centrelink can give you a refund or a boost, please check this article where we explained how scammers are using email accounts to disguise themselves as myGov employees and what you can do to avoid getting scammed.

Let us know in the comments below what you think about this new pension boost? Will it be enough at the rate in which the price of living is increasing?

I'm on a disability pension and I have huge medical costs.

• Sad
I think u are bluffing with people ur making fun of the pensioners that’s not enough pls

A good test for politicians to decide an appropriate increase to the pension is to spend at least 6mths in our shoes with no other income coming in to see how they can survive paying rent/mortgage, food, petrol and utility bills. Their pay packets are so grossly over the top that they are out of touch with the cost of living for the normal families who are struggling to just pay rent let alone other survival necessities.
Wouldn't it be great and worthwhile if anyone running for parliament had to spend a minimum of 12 months living on a pensioners wage prior to any election . They should not take handouts from family. . I'm not trying to be nasty , but I think it really would be a worthwhile exercise . If they decline then ok we know our best interests as a country are not important enough to them . One can only imagine the landslide victory for a politition willing to do this . Might sound silly , but it all comes down to genuine care for the people

Pensioners have worked their lives helping to build a better country then along comes some over paid bellhop and decides that politicians deserve to be paid stupid wages for destroying our way of life because of their stuff ups. The pensioners should have the golden handshake not politicians. Bring their pension down to the pensioners payments and see how fast things change

The Pension increase may be $20 but if you live in Aged Care you only receive an extra $4.20 as the Aged Care home takes the rest!! Ripped off!!
Living in Aged Care means we would need an extra $120/fortnight to catch up & that’s never going to happen. We can’t even afford our Pharmacy bill for March.

• Wow
The Pension increase may be $20 but if you live in Aged Care you only receive an extra $4.20 as the Aged Care home takes the rest!! Ripped off!!
Living in Aged Care means we would need an extra $120/fortnight to catch up & that’s never going to happen. We can’t even afford our Pharmacy bill for March.
Only got $14 dollars not $20.

• Sad
Reactions: BJM and Ricci
A good test for politicians to decide an appropriate increase to the pension is to spend at least 6mths in our shoes with no other income coming in to see how they can survive paying rent/mortgage, food, petrol and utility bills. Their pay packets are so grossly over the top that they are out of touch with the cost of living for the normal families who are struggling to just pay rent let alone other survival necessities.
Agree with you 100%

Reactions: BJM and Ricci

Hooray, probably the largest increase in pensions in forever and NO it will not keep up with inflation (it never does) but it's a boost to the economy which is the reason we have been given it because we (the pensioners) will go out and spend it in some form or another. I might just have a coffee and muffin whilst at the shops next week.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
The pension increase twice yearly has been far too low in past years however this new increase will certainly help but not cover all the new costs. The government has had the worst 3 years and has had to go into incredible debt to keep us afloat......there is only so much money to go around and I, for one am thankful for the increase and the pension as a whole. So many countries do not give much, if any help to it's people.
Well said. I'm so sick of hearing people whinge.
We are incredibly lucky to get any pension at all.
Mind you, I'd still like to see the churches and big corporations pay their fair share of taxes. Maybe then, those in need could be helped more.
Personally I'm lucky enough to own my home, and with a little careful budgeting can lead a comfortable life despite the recent increases in cost of living.

I'd prefer to see the increase go to those who need it more than I do. Not popular among voters though and probably an administrative nightmare.

Love to see the government live on a pension
With their Govt Pension to supplement this l would suggest it would be like a walk in the park for them. Besides that l am sure they are aware of little perks we do not know where things are cheaper or free.