Parties double down on call to split Coles, Woolworths duopoly amid soaring supermarket prices

As we all navigate the ever-tightening squeeze of the cost-of-living crisis, it's become increasingly clear that Australian shoppers are bearing a heavy burden.

Recent reports have highlighted a startling reality about food prices.

The staggering figures have sparked a heated debate about the dominance of Coles and Woolworths in the supermarket sector, and whether it's time to break up their duopoly.

According to Labor MP Andrew Charlton, Aussie shoppers are paying some of the highest prices for food in the developed world as they navigate a cost-of-living crisis.

‘Australians are paying 54 per cent more than the world average for food,’ he said.

This revelation intensified the push on the government to dismantle the dominance of Coles and Woolworths, prompting lawmakers to develop new legislation.

photo.jpg
The Greens, Nationals, and Liberals are proposing their own laws to counter soaring food prices and address the dominance of Coles and Woolworths in the supermarket landscape. Credits: Shutterstock

The data from the World Bank is eye-opening, to say the least.

Australians are forking out up to 41 per cent more for meat, 45 per cent more for dairy, and an astonishing 46 per cent more for fruit.

However, the price hikes don't stop there.

Bread costs Australians as much as 73 per cent more, and seafood 63 per cent more.

While for those who enjoy a tipple, beer and wine are up to 85 per cent more expensive Down Under.

Charlton laid the blame for these exorbitant prices at the feet of the major supermarkets and multinational food suppliers.

‘The global executives of these companies call Australia “Treasure Island”,’ he asserted, suggesting they charge premium prices simply because the market allows it.

While Coles and Woolworths report profits exceeding a billion dollars, consumers are struggling to afford their weekly groceries, and farmers are voicing concerns that their prices are being undermined.

In response to this, the Greens introduced a divestiture bill to the Senate, which proposes giving the government the power to dismantle supermarket businesses if they are found to be abusing their market power.

Such divestiture laws are not new concepts, as they are already in place in countries like the United States and the United Kingdom to break up companies that engage in anti-competitive practices across various industries.

Meanwhile, the Nationals and Liberals are crafting their own legislation.

Nationals Leader David Littleproud emphasised a focus on supermarkets, seeking to avoid broader economic repercussions.

‘The bill that the Greens put in place was deficient in design,’ he asserted.

‘We’re very proud of the fact that Peter (Dutton) and the Liberals want to work through this to make sure there are no unintended consequences and there’s fairness in prices from the farm gate to your plate.’

Under the proposed laws, grocery retailers that engage in 'egregious' anti-competitive behaviour could be compelled to sell stores to smaller independents.

However, Littleproud insisted that safety tests must be applied to ensure these actions do not inadvertently harm competition.

‘That makes sure that there is a smaller competitor that can come in and take that,’ he stated.

Despite these legislative efforts, the government expressed reluctance to endorse divestiture proposals for supermarkets, citing potential job losses at some of the nation's largest employers.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the threats to dismantle the big two as akin to 'Soviet-style laws' and instead initiated several inquiries into the pricing practices of Coles and Woolworths.

‘My government’s determined to hold them to account,’ he declared.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians are paying significantly more for food, with prices soaring above the world average in the midst of a cost-of-living crisis.
  • There is growing pressure on the government to address the dominance of Coles and Woolworths, and consider breaking them up to encourage more competition.
  • Proposed divestiture laws, similar to those in America and Britain, might give the courts and consumer watchdog the power to break up supermarkets if they misuse their market power.
  • Although there were divergent views on the best approach, with safety checks to avoid adverse effects on competition, the government had thus far dismissed divestiture, citing concerns about potential job losses.
Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? Do you believe breaking up the supermarket duopoly could lead to fairer prices, or are there other solutions we should explore? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Littleproud, the guy that was going to fix live exporters, with little change. Thanks but UR help is worthless.
I know the emphasis is on the duopoly, but the other retailers are no cheaper, in fact those with a smaller share of the pie are often dearer again, with little value in their competition.

You are wasting your breath.... I gave up long ago. DON'T SHOP AT EITHE COLES OR WOOLLIES. That will make them sit up and take note.....they will not make the extortionate profits they do and that is not good for shareholders...
The others are dearer again.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Australia has become the greedy country in the world. We are all being ripped off no matter what we buy. This is why we have to stop buying from these places. The government has not made an effort to stop this why because they are also collecting money from the hierarchy. Wake up Australia and stop buying from the larger money making supermarkets. Support your local grocery store.
Yes it's so much cheaper there.

So, let me get this right, Peter Dutton suggests that the big 2 supermarkets should be forced to sell some of their stores to the smaller chains to increase competition? The smaller chains will not have the millions of dollars of cash to buy the stores in the first place. If they do scrape together the millions required they will need to get a return on funds (ROF) to get their initial purchase costs back and to satisfy their shareholders of an acceptable return on their investments. That means they will have to increase their selling prices to satisfy these areas because they do not have the buying power of the main competitors. I just don't understand the logic.

I don't see anywhere in these comments how breaking up Woollies & Coles is going to result in any competition. If anything, it will reduce, the buying power of these 2 also make the suppliers keep their prices down. How doe a smaller retailer in the middle of nowhere in Australia ever have the buying power to make their prices competitive? Number of time we read about excessive prices charged in rural areas will be the same story that will result if the 2 big boys are out of the picture. Equally, I don't see how they can be forced to be broken up and (like the banking royal commission outcome) go back to the same conglomerate in a couple of years when they slowly acquire the small operators as they go out of business. Don't see anyone saying they do their entire grocery shopping at an IGA near a Woollies or Coles, as their prices & range just don't compare. Even Aldi acknowledges through their advertising they know they aren't the one stop shop for all your needs. As long as shoppers are prepared to shop in a clone of Aldi where the range is home branded and minimal alternatives then stop complaining and take your business where you think you are getting best price options.

• Love
Reactions: Mr Chips
You get charged the same at IGA? Give me a break! They take price gouging to a whole new level.
Rubbish. They are usually on a par with the majors and it costs me much the same to shop there. I had a friend buy Darrell Lea speckled Easter eggs for her grandkids this week from Woolworths and she was so happy they were on special for $4.00 per packet as opposed to the $5.50 they are full price. She should have gone to IGA as they were $2.75 there!

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I'm scratching my head as to why they keep saying it's only Coles & Woolies that are overpriced, when you get charged the same at IGA and only a few cents less at Aldi!
Seems to me it's the whole food industry that needs a complete shake up if you want to be truthful... just saying❣️
Coles andWoolies are the leaders and the others are followers the leaders control the market ,if the followers dont play ball they will be bought up by the leaders its all about control.Coles and woolies collect more money per annum than the govt collect in tax (and employ less people than the govt.)their power CONTROLS the farmers ,manufacturers,dairy,grocers etc AND competition and to a degree the govt , increasing wages only helps these monopolies, every time wages increase $1 these monopolies recover $2 -$4 from adjusting prices and we (the workers)keep asking for more to catch up..(.newsflash that will never happen) that why Australians are among the highest paid people on earth. Soon every Australian home owner will be a millionaire if not already... Hard to imagine Australia the land where everyone is a millionaire. who is going to mow our lawns when we are old? and what will it cost....(glad I wont be here to find out)

It's a bit rich when a politician made the comparison of how much more this country pays for selected items but neglect to also compare what politician in this country are paid to the same countries he make the comparison, then you'll really see disparity . No mention of exchange rate. Use the same measurement table not select the one that best suits the argument. Supermarket bread in the US (price adjusted) $3:50 in Aust $2:50. The Nationals best be prepared for an opening up of the most protected produce market in the world. Australia prevents or protects growers from overseas fresh produce being dumped on our shores. Then see the biosecurity of this country join the rest of the worlds infestation of disease and insect outbreaks. As is evident from gas prices in this country, we may produce it, but we also pay the same price the world pays, same applies to produce in this country. If China, Japan or anywhere that take our fresh produce is prepared to pay xyz $'s the suppliers expect the domestic market to pay the same price. It's called supply and demand.

Am in the U.K. atm, and thoroughly enjoy food shopping and of course eating it!!
Avocados 50p, Swedes and turnips 15p, potatoes £ 1.49 per kilo, bread, 99p loaf, and it’s good bread. A duo Jelly and strawberry trifles 86p,
IF ANYONE SAYS SUPERMARKET FOOD IS EXPENSIVE HERE, it’s just not true.
Eating out is a different ball game, that is expensive, it’s on par with £ and $? eg
eggs Benedict £10.00, in Aus it’s around $20-24.
55pence =. $1.00
The variety of supermarkets is amazing also. And I can’t bring any of it home in my suitcase, except tinned or vacuum packs.
Not sure where in the UK you maybe referencing. My recent trip to London the price comparison conversion app showed basic cost of living in London was 14% higher than Melb. Rent was 33% higher than Melb. Same result when I travelled back through the US (staying with family & friends for the most part). Prices (exchange compared) were also more expensive, clothing cheaper, fuel but definitely not food. Paid $100 USD ($153 AUD) for 2 beers and 2 basic hamburgers at a restaurant (equivalent of Grill'd), can't say other than the high end restaurants in Melb I've ever paid $100 AUD ($65 USD) for the same. Australia is an expensive country to live full stop, no questions asked, but the earning in this country are also well above those of comparable economies. Medium average wage (UK govt 2024) £682 weekly Aust (ABS) $1880. Buying power is Aust is at least 1/3 more than that of the UK so that equates to higher prices, can't have it both ways, cheap prices but also have higher income.

As a pensioner I have noticed that food, fruit and vegetables and meat are just over the top in prices. Recently I have noticed that Flora margarine 1kg tubs went from $5 before covid and rose to $8 for a while. It is only now that having the big supermarkets checked has the price dropped to a reasonable $6.95. That is just 1 item. How many more are they ripping us on. Make them give their shoppers a $500 voucher for all the money it has cost us over 3 years.

It's a bit rich when a politician made the comparison of how much more this country pays for selected items but neglect to also compare what politician in this country are paid to the same countries he make the comparison, then you'll really see disparity . No mention of exchange rate. Use the same measurement table not select the one that best suits the argument. Supermarket bread in the US (price adjusted) $3:50 in Aust $2:50. The Nationals best be prepared for an opening up of the most protected produce market in the world. Australia prevents or protects growers from overseas fresh produce being dumped on our shores. Then see the biosecurity of this country join the rest of the worlds infestation of disease and insect outbreaks. As is evident from gas prices in this country, we may produce it, but we also pay the same price the world pays, same applies to produce in this country. If China, Japan or anywhere that take our fresh produce is prepared to pay xyz $'s the suppliers expect the domestic market to pay the same price. It's called supply and demand.
Tell me. Where do you buy your bread from. $2.50 in Australia? More like $4.50 here.

It really hurt when I paid $3.40 for a 35gram packet of Spencers parsley flakes. They were the only ones on the shelf at the time. I know there are cheaper ones but no others were on the shelf at the time. My husband was horrified at the price as was I.
So ,grow some parsley in a pot. :unsure:

• Love
Rubbish. They are usually on a par with the majors and it costs me much the same to shop there. I had a friend buy Darrell Lea speckled Easter eggs for her grandkids this week from Woolworths and she was so happy they were on special for $4.00 per packet as opposed to the $5.50 they are full price. She should have gone to IGA as they were $2.75 there!
Your Easter egg price comparison would have to be a rare exception. All the IGA’s around where I live are notoriously higher priced than the bigger supermarkets.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Luckily in WA have local grown Spud Shed,did all my shopping there yesterday didn't bother to go to the other supermarkets.Great checkout service too
. Saved heaps

ANd the government shifts the blame again, it's not only the duopoly it's also the high taxes our government charges, together we are paying a lot more. We have taxes on the taxes.
High taxes? You are joking. Even Maggie Thatcher held top-rate taxes to 60%, down from 83%, after the Tories had won (if that is the word to describe how a minority of the British electorate had first put her into power as PM) the 1979 General Election.

You are wasting your breath.... I gave up long ago. DON'T SHOP AT EITHE COLES OR WOOLLIES. That will make them sit up and take note.....they will not make the extortionate profits they do and that is not good for shareholders...
But where else is there to shop for food? Aldi? No Aldis here.The local grocer? Colesworth have put them out of business years ago. The street market on Saturday; from which wholesaler does the street market get its vegies and other food? Woolworth's wholesale people?

Reactions: IAN3005
They are more expensive and they spout off saying they get locally grown and are cheaper. Their specials come down to the normal price of other supemarkets. Never shop there now
Your Easter egg price comparison would have to be a rare exception. All the IGA’s around where I live are notoriously higher priced than the bigger supermarke

Reactions: AlanQ
Tell me. Where do you buy your bread from. $2.50 in Australia? More like $4.50 here.
As everyone on this site seems to talk up the joys of Aldi I'll use the (evil) Coles as the price measurement. white $2.40 wholemeal $2.70. multigrain $3:70 Bread is something that I buy fresh and if day old, toast it.

Reactions: Liz
But where else is there to shop for food? Aldi? No Aldis here.The local grocer? Colesworth have put them out of business years ago. The street market on Saturday; from which wholesaler does the street market get its vegies and other food? Woolworth's wholesale people?
By being 'put out of business' you mean the locals didn't support and subsequently they went out of business. I think you have just hit the nail on the head, if the local grocer can't buy in the quantities that Coles or Woollies can, then needless to say the price isn't going to be competitive and subsequently the choice is then up to the consumer, support the local knowing the price is higher or shop with the hip pocket nerve in play.