Parents receive 'controversial' note urging them to stop giving their children HAM SANDWICHES for lunch: "This is just ridiculous"

It seems that one of the children's lunch box favourites – the humble ham sandwich – has come under attack again, after previous allegations that they may cause food poisoning at school.

A directive distributed to parents of public school students asked them to avoid giving their children ham sandwiches as processed meat may increase the children's risks for bowel cancer. Instead, they should seek healthy alternatives like cheese, hummus, BBQ chicken, or leftover home-cooked meat.

"Ditch the ham sandwich," read the message from the Cancer Council in New South Wales, which was included in leaflets inserted in the children's school newsletters that are sent home to their parents.

The instruction has received massive backlash not only from parents but also from pork producers, butchers and even politicians slamming the recommendation and its "politically correct message".

_lZB6aCDVYTxj7KTR9NeXhntdN1gaO5VUXy_rskmDLrhGDJltR5y-RbVYUYqsoEugeu5z5XUWs5vSdpPAfpzZ5Oc4rGiMLMs09ZBL4ANDqrPojLQy9RwMWos9SvIx4ptIWR3iDXft0UoM8tzaQ

A leaflet from the Cancer Council encouraged parents to "ditch the ham sandwich", resulting in backlash. Credit: Getty Images.

On Tuesday morning, Today host Karl Stefanovic hit out at the "un-Australian" proposal to ban ham sandwiches in school canteens, calling it "the woke brigade coming after butchers".

"I think this is just ridiculous. I don't know where they get off doing this," Karl said that morning while he, co-host Ally Langdon and newsreader Alex Cullen were all enjoying their ham sandwiches at the desk.

"The kids of Australia are making their choice anyway. There are some things you've just got to say no to and this is one of them," he added.

David Bligh, the owner of Bringelly Pork and Bacon, agreed and said the proposal from the Cancer Council was "political correctness getting off the rails" and they are making things blow out of proportion.

"How can you say ham sandwiches for kids aren't a good thing?" the butcher asked.

"People bring up all sorts of issues about food and chemicals and things like that, but a lot of the preservatives and things that are put in ham and bacon are actually naturally occurring chemicals and preservatives because these sorts of things are found in spinach and vegetables and all of those sorts of things," he later explained.

"It is just blown out of proportion. Ham has been eaten for the last 5,000 years without any side effects."

A spokesperson from the Cancer Council has already responded to the issue at hand, saying that the leaflets are just part of a bigger health campaign to encourage children to eat healthier.

"There is strong evidence that eating processed meats and too much red meat is associated with increased risk of bowel cancer," said the representative. "Our cancer prevention messages advise everyone to limit their processed meat consumption and cut down on red meat."

She also added that the schools were only advised to avoid processed meat as much as possible, but they were not forced or put under any obligation to strictly comply.

The NSW Department of Education eased the fears of hundreds of Aussie parents by confirming that no public school had banned children from bringing ham sandwiches.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that schools should limit children from eating processed meat? Or is this another case of political correctness gone too far?

Sponsored
This is just like Ansul Keys and the sugar companies bribing the scientist to say that red meat and fat causes heart disease. Nothing wrong with cured ham. Wake up snowflakes. Ban the Carbs and sweets you idiots, :mad::mad::mad::mad:

What absolute rubbish we are having to deal with these days from the "woke" brigade. I've never heard anything so ridiculous !! It seems that anything you eat these days is going to give you cancer !!
Meat wont. It's an anti inflamitary. Carnivores are thriving. :)

How can this be “ politically incorrect”???????! It’s a health issue…. And not a suggestion at that!! Nothing else!!! Maybe revise what “Political correctness” actually means !
Good grief! Do we have to have these dramas about every little issue ??? Yes we do eat too much red meat!! And processed meat isn’t good for you!
Leave it at that!
People are dying!…. But not because of this!
FFS !
I'm a Carnivore and I am thriving. Scintists were bribed by the sugar companies to say that Red meat and fat causes heart disease. Meat is the proper human diet,

I guess I’m the lone voice of dissent here - I personally would not give ham sandwiches to children because I think it goes off quickly in the heat and also because of the processing. I don’t eat any cured or processed meat myself - and I wouldn’t mind the school updating me on new health facts. I guess it’s up to parents if they choose to ignore it, though they can’t say they didn’t know.
Meat processing is no longer the artisan process that our ancestors used, mainly curing through salt and woodsmoke. It’s all automated and fake flavours intended to produce something that tastes a bit like the original.
This is a widely acknowledged fact in the medical industry and can be researched on the internet, not just from the cancer council in Australia - the doctor who wrote the attached article is one of the most respected cancer researchists in the country. I would not be here if it wasn’t for his lifesaving treatments and knowledge.
I know most won’t agree with me here, but we’re not all here to agree with each other . . . Sorry!
I am aware of the facts you have stated, and I do agree.
However, I still eat ham on the odd occasion myself, but never put it in school lunches, as it does go off quickly. Too hot in summer and overheated corridors and classrooms in winter.
The salt content of processed meats is the ingredient which needs to be monitored.

Reactions: DrivingGirl
Most kids are fussy eaters I say, give them what they like. Give them something they will eat. I gave my kids ham or cheese but they were throwing them in the bin. I asked them what they wanted and they said jam. My husband was horrified that I was sending the kids to school with jam sarnies but to me, they had a good breakfast and a good dinner so jam in school was good too. At least then they started to eat lunch
I introduced my now 9yr old grandson to Plum Jam and Cheese sandwiches over the Covid lock down in 2020 when he and his brother stayed with me to be home schooled. His mum (D.I.L) was horrified when that is the only thing he would then eat on his sandwiches for school for like the next year. LOL He still loves them but occasionally varies them with Peanut Paste & Treacle or Vegemite mixed with Peanut Paste.

I've been eating Ham sandwiches for years and I'm OK
When my Daughter was in Primary School She had Cheese and Vegemite sandwiches every day' would not have anything else.
Do you suppose they will say that's not good for them.
Absolutely - too much fat in the cheese and too much salt in the vegemite - so they say this week - next week the food police will pick on something else. You would think we have a brain and free choice - not!

Reactions: JayKay
If we followed the advice of institutions like the Cancer Council and all the others warning us of the dangers and increased risks in everything we do.......nobody would die of cancer........... starvation would become the leading cause of death in the world.
Everything can cause cancer in vulnerable people, so folks just choose your poison and get on with it, we are all going to die in the end guaranteed!

This is a factual list of cancer-causing foods:- processed meat, red meat includes pork, beef, veal, and lamb, barbecues, charred meat, overcooked or burnt foods, alcohol, alcoholic beverages, salted fish, salt-cured, and pickled foods, sugary drinks or non-diet soda, fast foods, and other processed foods, hot beverages, dairy, refined carbohydrates, and sugar, microwave popcorn, food dyes, whole grains, and soy-based products.
Other reasons for causing cancer:- obesity, weight loss, direct sunlight, smoking, vaping, ultraviolet (UV) rays includes tanning beds, engine exhaust, wood products or furniture, and some fabrics, bush fires, and smoke from BBQs.

And the list goes on - if we were to believe everything that is listed as cancer-causing we would end up either starving to death, naked, not wearing any clothes, not buying houses, furniture or appliances, taking medications, or purchasing pharmaceutical products.

Each person is different and that's what makes us all unique. If you are a person who has low iron stores, you are required to have at least 4 pieces of red meat a week or you'll become anemic if you're not already and then there will be other health issues.

Your overall diet (what you eat day to day) is more important than individual foods for reducing your cancer risk. Everything should be in moderation. Whilst our practices have changed over the years for manufacturing we still have a long way to go, just like science has a long way to go, there are great strides that are made each and every day, and with each day we learn something new.

Reactions: DrivingGirl
This is a factual list of cancer-causing foods:- processed meat, red meat includes pork, beef, veal, and lamb, barbecues, charred meat, overcooked or burnt foods, alcohol, alcoholic beverages, salted fish, salt-cured, and pickled foods, sugary drinks or non-diet soda, fast foods, and other processed foods, hot beverages, dairy, refined carbohydrates, and sugar, microwave popcorn, food dyes, whole grains, and soy-based products.
Other reasons for causing cancer:- obesity, weight loss, direct sunlight, smoking, vaping, ultraviolet (UV) rays includes tanning beds, engine exhaust, wood products or furniture, and some fabrics, bush fires, and smoke from BBQs.

And the list goes on - if we were to believe everything that is listed as cancer-causing we would end up either starving to death, naked, not wearing any clothes, not buying houses, furniture or appliances, taking medications, or purchasing pharmaceutical products.

Each person is different and that's what makes us all unique. If you are a person who has low iron stores, you are required to have at least 4 pieces of red meat a week or you'll become anemic if you're not already and then there will be other health issues.

Your overall diet (what you eat day to day) is more important than individual foods for reducing your cancer risk. Everything should be in moderation. Whilst our practices have changed over the years for manufacturing we still have a long way to go, just like science has a long way to go, there are great strides that are made each and every day, and with each day we learn something new.

I guess you pick your poison, and where you want to spend your time and money!
I prefer to source healthy food and cook at home, it takes longer - might cost a bit more.
But you can also eat whatever you want and tap into the medical advances that help us fight the lifestyle diseases humanity suffers from these days. You can also choose the middle ground and do a bit of both. It’s all of our personal choice. No judgement here!

Reactions: Cher and JayKay