Pandemic cashback scheme to roll out in the coming weeks

We all know how tough the pandemic was – and still is. Millions of Aussies were forced to stay home for long periods of time, many were unemployed or underemployed, and we all worried about our health and the health of our loved ones.

Now that things are gradually returning to normal (or at least a 'new normal'), it's nice to hear some good news for a change. Private health insurers across Australia are giving us something to smile about in the form of cashback payments!

Australians will start to receive cashback payments in a move by health insurers to return COVID savings to millions of members. This means that if you're a private health insurance policyholder, there's a good chance you'll be getting some extra funds before Christmas. Yay!

Here's everything you need to know about this welcome windfall…

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.58.26 AM.png
Health insurers in Australia are getting ready to give pandemic payouts to their millions of customers. Credit: Pexels/Leeloo Thefirst.

HCF, one of the biggest private health insurance companies in Australia, said in September that it would return $130 million to its 1.8 million policyholders due to savings incurred as a result of the pandemic – and now, the payments have started rolling in.

HCF began notifying members about the amount they would receive and when expected payments would start arriving last month.

The payment will differ for each member depending on their cover and state, but according to the company's website, all customers should expect to receive their payment before Christmas this year. So keep an eye on your inbox and bank account!

The insurance provider claimed that the savings were a part of a bigger support package offered to members since the pandemic began, which has included additional financial and health services support.

Sheena Jack, HCF's Chief Executive Officer, explained that the refund was made as part of the company's continued effort to reduce the cost of health insurance for their customers.

'Given the changing healthcare landscape over the past three years, it's only fair we work hard to find more ways to give back and to help members manage the mounting cost of living pressures,' Jack said.

'A strong commitment to putting our members before profit remains a guiding force in all of the decisions we make for our members.'

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.58.14 AM.png
Bupa is also providing pandemic cashback relief to policyholders. Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio.

Similarly, starting in October, up to 3.4 million Bupa customers were eligible to receive cashback payments from the insurance company. Depending on the specifics of their policy, members can expect to get cash rebates ranging from $16 to $118, for a total payout of $155 million.

Payback amounts will vary from state to state, depending on how severely the area was affected by the pandemic – so customers in NSW and VIC, who were severely impacted, due to strict government lockdowns, can expect to receive a higher payback amount.

The fund will use the bank details listed with each account, so if you think you might be eligible, be sure to check that your personal and contact information is up to date. And if you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch with your provider directly.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are set to receive cashback payments from health insurers in a move to return COVID savings to millions of members.
  • The payments have started rolling in as private health insurer HCF began notifying members last month how much they would receive. Policyholders can expect to receive the payment before Christmas.
  • Similarly, up to 3.4 million Bupa customers were also set to receive cashback payments from October.
Members, take this as a reminder to check your health insurance policies and information! We hope you get a nice little boost from this unexpected cashback and that it helps you out this holiday season.

Sponsored
Like, wow, man! We're with one of the biggies, paying about six hunnert a month for top cover (pregnancy not included, no claims this year), and we're due to receive the munificent amount of about two hunnert and fifty. Can they afford it?

We all know how tough the pandemic was – and still is. Millions of Aussies were forced to stay home for long periods of time, many were unemployed or underemployed, and we all worried about our health and the health of our loved ones.

Now that things are gradually returning to normal (or at least a 'new normal'), it's nice to hear some good news for a change. Private health insurers across Australia are giving us something to smile about in the form of cashback payments!

Australians will start to receive cashback payments in a move by health insurers to return COVID savings to millions of members. This means that if you're a private health insurance policyholder, there's a good chance you'll be getting some extra funds before Christmas. Yay!

View attachment 9775
Health insurers in Australia are getting ready to give pandemic payouts to their millions of customers. Credit: Pexels/Leeloo Thefirst.

HCF, one of the biggest private health insurance companies in Australia, said in September that it would return $130 million to its 1.8 million policyholders due to savings incurred as a result of the pandemic – and now, the payments have started rolling in.

HCF began notifying members about the amount they would receive and when expected payments would start arriving last month.

The payment will differ for each member depending on their cover and state, but according to the company's website, all customers should expect to receive their payment before Christmas this year. So keep an eye on your inbox and bank account!

The insurance provider claimed that the savings were a part of a bigger support package offered to members since the pandemic began, which has included additional financial and health services support.

Sheena Jack, HCF's Chief Executive Officer, explained that the refund was made as part of the company's continued effort to reduce the cost of health insurance for their customers.

'Given the changing healthcare landscape over the past three years, it's only fair we work hard to find more ways to give back and to help members manage the mounting cost of living pressures,' Jack said.

'A strong commitment to putting our members before profit remains a guiding force in all of the decisions we make for our members.'

View attachment 9776
Bupa is also providing pandemic cashback relief to policyholders. Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio.

Similarly, starting in October, up to 3.4 million Bupa customers were eligible to receive cashback payments from the insurance company. Depending on the specifics of their policy, members can expect to get cash rebates ranging from $16 to $118, for a total payout of $155 million.

Payback amounts will vary from state to state, depending on how severely the area was affected by the pandemic – so customers in NSW and VIC, who were severely impacted, due to strict government lockdowns, can expect to receive a higher payback amount.

The fund will use the bank details listed with each account, so if you think you might be eligible, be sure to check that your personal and contact information is up to date. And if you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch with your provider directly.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are set to receive cashback payments from health insurers in a move to return COVID savings to millions of members.
  • The payments have started rolling in as private health insurer HCF began notifying members last month how much they would receive. Policyholders can expect to receive the payment before Christmas.
  • Similarly, up to 3.4 million Bupa customers were also set to receive cashback payments from October.
Members, take this as a reminder to check your health insurance policies and information! We hope you get a nice little boost from this unexpected cashback and that it helps you out this holiday season.
Bupa sent me a letter telling me I will be getting $157. Last year it was $55.

Reactions: Zoya, Liz and Ricci
There's no way we would be that lucky with HBF. They just take and take. When we were AHM from time to time they would refund money to us. Once, quite a sizeable amount.

• Sad
Reactions: Zoya, Liz and Ricci
I'm getting $110 from Bupa ... last year it was $20.
I don't know how they work out different amounts for people.
All I know is it costs lots of $$ every month/yearly.
I would prefer a discount on the premium paid.

Reactions: Liz and JudyM
Like, wow, man! We're with one of the biggies, paying about six hunnert a month for top cover (pregnancy not included, no claims this year), and we're due to receive the munificent amount of about two hunnert and fifty. Can they afford it?
Us too nice christmas present

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci

View attachment 9775

View attachment 9776

Key Takeaways

I’ve already received mine, and was wondering what it was all about. Thank you NIB.

Reactions: Liz
Nothing from HBF, we pay $444 a month (does not include pregnancy but does include gap. which I have claimed for, for visits to the OT, physio and glasses which covered the bills so I was not out of pocket.

View attachment 9775

View attachment 9776

Key Takeaways

HBF doing anything?

Well we have all received the letters to tell us our Premiums were all going UP on the 1st of November so big deal give with one hand and sure as hell take with the other thanks HCF for not much at all, I have very expensive Dental and Glasses $2000 a year because I don't use the rest I'm healthy at the moment BUT when I compared it was roughly the same price for not the same cover. Something should be done about the way they just automatically put it up every year and the amount you get back is dropping, used to get $250 yr on scripts not covered by PBS but down to $180 and dished out in $50 increments so thats all you get for a bill of $300 instead of just giving the whole lot. I hate health insurance. BUT an EVIL necessary.

Well we have all received the letters to tell us our Premiums were all going UP on the 1st of November so big deal give with one hand and sure as hell take with the other thanks HCF for not much at all, I have very expensive Dental and Glasses $2000 a year because I don't use the rest I'm healthy at the moment BUT when I compared it was roughly the same price for not the same cover. Something should be done about the way they just automatically put it up every year and the amount you get back is dropping, used to get $250 yr on scripts not covered by PBS but down to $180 and dished out in $50 increments so thats all you get for a bill of $300 instead of just giving the whole lot. I hate health insurance. BUT an EVIL necessary.
Having medical insurance is expensive. Bupa increased $38/month in November for our cover.
Over the years, Drs have been charging more & more each year with hospital stays making the gap costing hundreds/thousands in some cases.
Some Doctors have become greedy & think their expertise is worth more than others. Such a slight on their colleagues!
No wonder those type of Doctors are called 'Rock Star Doctors'.
As for your glasses, you need to shop around as Optometrists charge varying prices so it's worthwhile comparing.
I recently got my first pair of bifocals with non glare lenses costing $16 gap.

Having medical insurance is expensive. Bupa increased $38/month in November for our cover.
Over the years, Drs have been charging more & more each year with hospital stays making the gap costing hundreds/thousands in some cases.
Some Doctors have become greedy & think their expertise is worth more than others. Such a slight on their colleagues!
No wonder those type of Doctors are called 'Rock Star Doctors'.
As for your glasses, you need to shop around as Optometrists charge varying prices so it's worthwhile comparing.
I recently got my first pair of bifocals with non glare lenses costing $16 gap.
I actually get 2 pair of glasses with no cost at all, and Optometrist charge is Free to everyone, I get 2 free visits with a clean and scale and fluoride treatment from HCF BUT like I said $2000 for those 2 things makes them pretty expensive

Reactions: Penny4
Is HBF doing this as well as I am a pensioner and pay a lot fortnightly so would be good to get some cash back

Reactions: Penny4
Hey James, that's some fantastic news! It's heartwarming to see health insurers giving back during these challenging times. Those cashback payments will surely bring smiles to many faces. For even more saving, I suggest you guys use the best coupon apps from this list. It helps me save every time I go shopping. Thanks for sharing this positive update!

Last edited: