Overcharged at the butcher - could you be getting ripped off too?

One of our wonderful members, Helen, has been kind enough to inform us of an issue occurring at her local butcher. If you’re concerned you’re being overcharged, or if it’s not something you’ve considered much before, please read on.

Helen lives in a country town in WA but her situation is likely common regardless of where you live. You may or may have noticed your butcher weighing your meat on a tray or once it’s already wrapped in paper – but is this legal?

With an absence of choices and a desire to avoid larger supermarkets like Woolies, Coles and ALDI, member Helen has been searching for a good local butcher to support.

shutterstock_1669867618 (1).jpg
Are you being overcharged? Image Credit: Shutterstock

Here’s her latest experience:

‘I was being served by a lady and asked her for two chicken schnitzels which were on sale for $18.50 per kilo. She dutifully picked out two as I had requested but then took a large black plastic tray-like thing and placed the two schnitzels on it and then placed the lot on the scales. I spoke to her and said she was weighing and charging me for this black tray and she shouldn’t be weighing it at the same time as the chicken schnitzels. She couldn’t understand what I meant and I repeated my request not to weigh the tray and then had to repeat it again.

‘Obviously, the actual butcher could hear what was going on and came out from his back section and told her to take the tray away and just weigh the chicken, which she did. It was also then that I realised that she had also done this with my first purchase of 4 lamb chops. But by this stage (and as a couple of other people were waiting to be served) I decided not to say anything more about the chops and paid for what I had bought which were now each on these little black trays and covered with plastic and decided that this butcher certainly wouldn’t be my new choice to shop at. I even wondered if this is legal.

‘When I got home I actually weighed one of the trays and I think if I remember correctly it was 5 gms. And when I calculated how much that would have added to the cost of the chicken it was about 90 cents.

‘I must admit that I sort of felt the butcher and his lady server thought I was a nasty complaining customer, but I never spoke loudly or nastily but just requested my meat be weighed without the addition of the added weight of the tray.’

Is it common for butchers to weigh products in the tray? If anyone has some clarity on this situation, we’d love to hear from you.

Helen is also curious about the reliability of the price being charged and the lack of evidence.

‘I usually purchase a week or more worth of meat at a time and at the two previous butchers I have been dealing with, you ask for each individual item and it is put on the scales and they usually write something down on a piece of paper. When you are finished, they add it all up themselves (not on a machine) and then tell you it is $78.00 or whatever. You pay them and are given no indication of what each selection was charged for and you are left wondering if they were able to add it correctly and just tell you the final payment.

‘This seems to be the routine at most butchers I have tried here and is the reason I was looking for a new butcher as I wasn’t really happy with how the one I was going to was working out the total of my purchases. I should also add this second one that I was trying out and was using the black trays and that charge also went into the total (say like 5 or 6 trays!!!!!) also just said a total figure you had to pay without any breakdown of the individual prices. I know you could ask them each time they weighed one of the purchases how much it was and then write it down and do your own adding and then have to query their total if it wasn’t the same as what you had worked out. But with lots of people at the counter who all think you are antagonistic, you don’t like to make a spectacle of yourself. I suppose the answer is just to buy my meat from Coles or Woolworths where it is already marked how much each individual choice is. But I would like to help the local butchers but it would seem they are just out to charge more and more.’

Trade measurement laws regulate the retail and wholesale sale of meat in Australia. Here are two relevant rules:
- staff must use the scales in the correct manner (e.g. level and indicating zero before use)
- position the scales so that the customer can easily see the weighing process (if not, the butcher must provide a written statement of the weight)

According to the federal government, the National Measurement Act 1960 and the National Trade Measurement Regulations 2009 regulate how meat is sold using measurement.

Butchers found to be short-measuring customers, could be fined up to $222,000 per offence.

The SA government states, ‘you have a right to expect that any goods you purchase by weight or volume have been accurately weighed and measured and that all pre-packed goods are labelled with their correct weight.’

‘Pay only for the product, not the packaging material - e.g. if you buy potato salad at the deli counter, you should only pay for the salad, not for the weight of the plastic container. In many stores, the electronic checkout scales are set to automatically deduct the weight of the packaging during the weighing process. In other stores, staff manually set the scale to deduct the weight of the packaging materials.’

The WA government doesn’t seem to list any specific rules but it’s reasonable to assume that the federal rules for zeroing before weighing imply the package should not be included in the charged weight.

It’s my opinion (April), that you find a new butcher.

Members, do you have any advice or thoughts on this? Does your butcher provide a breakdown of individual prices? Do they weigh in or out of the tray? We (and Helen) would love to hear from you.

Sponsored
I think that Helen needs some help with the numbers. 5 grams is 1/200 of a kilogram.
1/200 of $18.50 is $0.0925.
For 9 cents would you really bother?
you say its only 9 cents... how many of these sales are done during the day.... how many different lots of meat does one purchase per visit.... It all adds up and at the end of the week/month how much has the retailer scammed of their customers.... So YES the 9 cents matters

Quite often, as in the deli at supermarkets, the scale is adjusted to accommodate the weight of the tray or container. Sometimes meat has water weight that may lessen before you get home or the purchaser's scale is not as accurate as the butcher's scale. These days small businesses would not want to get a bad reputation as they are relying on their customers to keep them going.

Reactions: Ricci
It’s not only at butchers and delis
A friend bought a large tin of tuna but noticed it wasn’t as full, as it use to be and yes on weighing out of the tin it was close to half.
I remember mum feeding 6 with a tin of tuna or a can of soup … it’s not really possible now

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Macarj
I think that Helen needs some help with the numbers. 5 grams is 1/200 of a kilogram.
1/200 of $18.50 is $0.0925.
For 9 cents would you really bother?
With a one off, single purchase , the 9 cents may not seem very much to worry about.
But if you are buying 6 items or more weekly or more often, it adds up.
That's for one customer.
Add up the number of customers for the shop per day, per week, per month, per year....that's a lot of 9 cents.
Big profit for the butcher.
And it's theft, even if unintended.

That's a silly complaint.
With electric weighing scales, there is a 'tare' function with doesn't weigh the container, just the food.
To use the tare function, you need to place the tray on the scales first, then zero it, then place the meat on the tray and that is the weight of the meat.
I think Helen said the server placed the chicken on the tray then weighed it. So the weight of the tray was included.

One of our wonderful members, Helen, has been kind enough to inform us of an issue occurring at her local butcher. If you’re concerned you’re being overcharged, or if it’s not something you’ve considered much before, please read on.

Helen lives in a country town in WA but her situation is likely common regardless of where you live. You may or may have noticed your butcher weighing your meat on a tray or once it’s already wrapped in paper – but is this legal?

With an absence of choices and a desire to avoid larger supermarkets like Woolies, Coles and ALDI, member Helen has been searching for a good local butcher to support.

View attachment 9441

‘I was being served by a lady and asked her for two chicken schnitzels which were on sale for $18.50 per kilo. She dutifully picked out two as I had requested but then took a large black plastic tray-like thing and placed the two schnitzels on it and then placed the lot on the scales. I spoke to her and said she was weighing and charging me for this black tray and she shouldn’t be weighing it at the same time as the chicken schnitzels. She couldn’t understand what I meant and I repeated my request not to weigh the tray and then had to repeat it again.

‘Obviously, the actual butcher could hear what was going on and came out from his back section and told her to take the tray away and just weigh the chicken, which she did. It was also then that I realised that she had also done this with my first purchase of 4 lamb chops. But by this stage (and as a couple of other people were waiting to be served) I decided not to say anything more about the chops and paid for what I had bought which were now each on these little black trays and covered with plastic and decided that this butcher certainly wouldn’t be my new choice to shop at. I even wondered if this is legal.

‘When I got home I actually weighed one of the trays and I think if I remember correctly it was 5 gms. And when I calculated how much that would have added to the cost of the chicken it was about 90 cents.

‘I must admit that I sort of felt the butcher and his lady server thought I was a nasty complaining customer, but I never spoke loudly or nastily but just requested my meat be weighed without the addition of the added weight of the tray.’

Is it common for butchers to weigh products in the tray? If anyone has some clarity on this situation, we’d love to hear from you.

Helen is also curious about the reliability of the price being charged and the lack of evidence.

‘I usually purchase a week or more worth of meat at a time and at the two previous butchers I have been dealing with, you ask for each individual item and it is put on the scales and they usually write something down on a piece of paper. When you are finished, they add it all up themselves (not on a machine) and then tell you it is $78.00 or whatever. You pay them and are given no indication of what each selection was charged for and you are left wondering if they were able to add it correctly and just tell you the final payment.

‘This seems to be the routine at most butchers I have tried here and is the reason I was looking for a new butcher as I wasn’t really happy with how the one I was going to was working out the total of my purchases. I should also add this second one that I was trying out and was using the black trays and that charge also went into the total (say like 5 or 6 trays!!!!!) also just said a total figure you had to pay without any breakdown of the individual prices. I know you could ask them each time they weighed one of the purchases how much it was and then write it down and do your own adding and then have to query their total if it wasn’t the same as what you had worked out. But with lots of people at the counter who all think you are antagonistic, you don’t like to make a spectacle of yourself. I suppose the answer is just to buy my meat from Coles or Woolworths where it is already marked how much each individual choice is. But I would like to help the local butchers but it would seem they are just out to charge more and more.’

Trade measurement laws regulate the retail and wholesale sale of meat in Australia. Here are two relevant rules:
- staff must use the scales in the correct manner (e.g. level and indicating zero before use)
- position the scales so that the customer can easily see the weighing process (if not, the butcher must provide a written statement of the weight)

According to the federal government, the National Measurement Act 1960 and the National Trade Measurement Regulations 2009 regulate how meat is sold using measurement.

Butchers found to be short-measuring customers, could be fined up to $222,000 per offence.

The SA government states, ‘you have a right to expect that any goods you purchase by weight or volume have been accurately weighed and measured and that all pre-packed goods are labelled with their correct weight.’

‘Pay only for the product, not the packaging material - e.g. if you buy potato salad at the deli counter, you should only pay for the salad, not for the weight of the plastic container. In many stores, the electronic checkout scales are set to automatically deduct the weight of the packaging during the weighing process. In other stores, staff manually set the scale to deduct the weight of the packaging materials.’

The WA government doesn’t seem to list any specific rules but it’s reasonable to assume that the federal rules for zeroing before weighing imply the package should not be included in the charged weight.

Members, do you have any advice or thoughts on this? Does your butcher provide a breakdown of individual prices? Do they weigh in or out of the tray? We (and Helen) would love to hear from you.
Other than packaging I 'm more concerned with some of the more nefarious practices of some butchers and supermarkets

To use the tare function, you need to place the tray on the scales first, then zero it, then place the meat on the tray and that is the weight of the meat.
I think Helen said the server placed the chicken on the tray then weighed it. So the weight of the tray was included.
I have an electric weighing scale at home so I do the tare.
Probably the butcher server was a human error in that case.

The issue with some Butchers is they don't show a use by date in their display counter, unless it's packaged.
I won't buy it.

• Wow

View attachment 9441

My butcher weighs things in the plastic bags the meat is placed in. The weight and the price of each item are printed on the docket.

Until the rise in price & increase in the delivery fee, I used to buy direct from the pig & chicken farm for my meat. I have to admit that free-range meat is better but paying $50 for a kilo of bacon was way beyond the shop price & to pay over $200.00 for perhaps 5 meals was just too constricting of my budget. I now buy my meat from Aldi where the range of choice is amazing & I usually get 15 meals of meat & all my essentials for just $250.00 or so. this gives me enough over to pay for my doctor's visit my medicine, rent & a bit over for things needed during the weeks between pension days.

View attachment 9441

You could always ask for an itemised docket because you are also 'buying for someone else and need to know how much they owe you'.

My butcher places my meat on a piece of cling film to weigh it (for cleanliness reasons) it then shows itemised on the printed docket.