Over 400 critical medications now in short supply in Australia

The health and well-being of Australians are currently facing a significant challenge as the nation grapples with widespread medicine shortages.

This alarming situation has raised concerns among healthcare professionals and patients alike as the availability of essential medications dwindles.

According to the Therapeutic Goods Administration's (TGA) medicine shortage database, there are 424 medicines listed as being in short supply, with at least 20 of these drugs considered to be at critically low levels.

The shortages span a range of medications, including Ritalin, commonly prescribed for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Benzathine Penicillin, an antibiotic used for treating upper respiratory tract infections, and the antidepressant fluoxetine.

pexels-pixabay-159211.jpg
Over 400 medicines in Australia are now in short supply. Image source: Pexels

One particularly concerning shortage is that of Ordine, a morphine oral liquid crucial for managing severe pain, which has been unavailable in Australia since February.

The TGA has pointed to temporary local-level disruptions and the ongoing impacts of COVID-19 as factors contributing to these shortages.

The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) expressed deep concern over the situation, emphasising that vulnerable patients are the ones suffering the most.

On Thursday, May 23, the RACP called on the federal government to take immediate and more effective action to address the crisis.

RACP President Professor Jennifer Martin said: ‘Government needs a better strategy to redirect existing critical medicines supplies within the country to priority groups and patients.’

‘Current approaches often get very difficult for both patient and physician and need to be fixed urgently.’

Physicians are currently facing the daunting task of navigating a complex and often confusing system to find and source alternative medications for their patients.

This struggle can result in patients with the same health conditions experiencing vastly different outcomes, leading to significant national health equity concerns.

The impact of these shortages is far-reaching, affecting not only those who require medications for chronic conditions but also those in need of acute care.

The situation underscores the importance of a robust and resilient pharmaceutical supply chain, capable of withstanding disruptions and ensuring that no patient is left without the necessary treatment.

For those concerned about how these shortages might affect their health or the health of their loved ones, it is recommended to visit the TGA website for the full list of impacted medicines.

Staying informed and in communication with healthcare providers is crucial during this time.

As members of the Seniors Discount Club, it is essential to be proactive in managing your health.

If you or someone you know is affected by these shortages, reach out to your healthcare provider to discuss potential alternatives or solutions.

It's also important to voice your concerns to local representatives, advocating for a more sustainable and equitable healthcare system.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia is currently experiencing widespread medicine shortages, affecting more than 400 drugs.
  • At least 20 of these medicines are critically low, including Ritalin, Benzathine Penicillin, fluoxetine, and Ordine.
  • The TGA attributes the shortages to local disruptions and the impacts of COVID-19.
  • The RACP is calling on the government to devise a better strategy to manage and distribute the existing supplies of critical medicines to those in need.
Have you or someone you care for been affected by the medication shortages? How have you navigated these challenges? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
There is plenty of natural remedies out there that will take the place of all of these drugs. The trouble is the big drug companies have a monopoly over everybody.
They also forget to mention that there are other medications to take the place that are short.

There is plenty of natural remedies out there that will take the place of all of these drugs. The trouble is the big drug companies have a monopoly over everybody.
They also forget to mention that there are other medications to take the place that are short.
please name me a natural remedy for type 1, lymphoma blood cancer, and a very poor immune system.

About 2 years ago I experienced an upsetting situation with my local discount Chemist, it was around the end of the Covid-19 era. I am Diabetic 2 and rely on Metphormine for treatment and have done for a number of years. I was running low so visited my discount pharmacy to pick up my regular supply. I was looked after by an older, stern-looking lady and gave her my scripts, 5 in all for different items. She came back shortly afterwards and said "We have no Metphormine". I asked if they had any substitute and was told no. I asked if they knew when they would have a new supply and was told we don't know but we think that it is being discontinued. My nerves were in pieces and I was planning on visiting my GP who has his surgery is in the next street. In between my GP and the discount chemist was another pharmacy, Cincottas. I thought I would see if they might have any. I went in and asked the lovely lady would they happen to have any Metphormine left and was told with a smile that they definitely did so they provided me with a supply immediately. Imagine my relief. This was a case of either the lady at the discount chemist being too lazy or perhaps even overworked to check with someone about my needs or else a lack of information flowing down to the front-of =house staff. Needless to say, my business has been with Cincotta's ever since and they never let me down.

I certainly agree with you. I am in my 77th year and do NOT use any meds but do use preventative. My husband who is 78 and had 2 heart attacks 9 years ago went OFF all his meds last year and has felt so much better. Not surprised that more medications are needed with ALL the V***** injuries but yet some people are still continuing to have boosters. What can we expect when MSM only trickle through a truth now and again.

Well Australia may well be a better place without all these medications!. Great to hear your comments around alternative remedies! I had a stent put in a number of years ago and was told to live on medication for the rest of my natural days. Went off all the medications within 3 weeks. No further implants and no illness. Statins are THE worst...
I note there's no shortage of COVID-19 vaccines nor their associated booster medications... Why is that?

Pharmonies did warn. Govt to arrogant to listen. 60 day script would do this. No not te time...double the quantity. Pharmaces would have to chose to whomever they gave medication. As for the govt..stupid is as stupid does. Not wanting to heed dound advice. Made your bed ...now sleep in it!!

Well Australia may well be a better place without all these medications!. Great to hear your comments around alternative remedies! I had a stent put in a number of years ago and was told to live on medication for the rest of my natural days. Went off all the medications within 3 weeks. No further implants and no illness. Statins are THE worst...
I note there's no shortage of COVID-19 vaccines nor their associated booster medications... Why is that?
Are you taking any natural remedies as I’m also on the nasties and the problems that you get with them ,would be interested to know as I have 2 stents and GPS are no help .

Reactions: Ann Melling
My husband also had a stent and was told the same thing and I said to the Dr "I hope not" unfortunately it took a LOT longer than you for my hubby to believe me and others and only that he had Liver overload did he decide to go off all meds. Great that you went off after only 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Are you taking any natural remedies as I’m also on the nasties and the problems that you get with them ,would be interested to know as I have 2 stents and GPS are no help .
Husband is using natural remedies as preventative

When my hubby was in ICU with toxic shock, the team there did an amazing job looking after him, and, indeed saving his life.
Once hubby got past the danger point, the team placed a lot of importance upon medication evaluation, and, whether he needed everything that was being taken.
It was quite a thorough process and resulted in a major turn around of the meds he actually needed. If this is not done regularly, the risk is there that one medication can make the effects of another medication different, or even dangerously counter active.
We now both go through regular medication review and as a result, the big long list has dramatically lessened. It's just as well. Cancer treatment puts another light on effectiveness and interaction of medications, so, care has to be taken.
I have been a believer in natural products that can act as a preventative measure. So far, so good.
We really need to learn more about how our body works and what can trigger adverse reactions.
The shortage of certain medications has been around since COVID. We have not had any issues, even after the cancer treatment started. A good chemist will work with people on this to give the best outcome possible. I am fortunate that we have a pro-active chemist who keep their finger on the pulse.

Reactions: PattiB
All fine and dandy if you can afford seeing a naturopath and paying the high price for the natural remidies

Reactions: PattiB and Leenie
please name me a natural remedy for type 1, lymphoma blood cancer, and a very poor immune system.
I bought a book called The Lost book of Herbal remedies, It is a marvelous book. It names 38 plants to boost the immune system, also cancers etc. It is worth a read if you want to get off meds. It is up to the individual to take charge of their health.

Reactions: Leenie
Make an appointment to see your local witch doctor he can always make up some formula for you.

Not all medications can be replaced with others. Most are tailored to a specific health problem and the alternate medication does not have the required effects even though the ingredients are said to be the same. Sometimes the specific medication is the only one available hence the shortage.

I bought a book called The Lost book of Herbal remedies, It is a marvelous book. It names 38 plants to boost the immune system, also cancers etc. It is worth a read if you want to get off meds. It is up to the individual to take charge of their health.
If only it was that simple !!!

I have been waiting a good while for my shingles booster and my doctors are still waiting for the supply to be delivered.

CUBA is manufacturing prescription drugs and selling them to countries it can , depending on the US embargo... New Zealand sells powdered milk to CUBA..... why can't Australia purchase medicines etc from CUBA.... BECAUSE ALL education is free in CUBA... One out of 3 or 4 [sorry I cannot remember] is a Medical Doctor... Maybe We could do with a few of those also.... especially in country areas in NSW etc...

Reactions: oldsalt