Over 4.7 million Australians to get a Centrelink payment boost - Here’s how much more money you could be receiving!

As the cost of living continues to rise, many people are feeling the pinch. However, those living on fixed incomes, such as pensioners, are often hit the hardest.

With limited funds available, many struggle to make ends meet and afford necessities like food, housing, and healthcare.

For these individuals, any increase in their pension payments can be a welcome relief, providing them with some much-needed financial support.

If you’re one of those people who are looking forward to payment boosts, then we’ve got news for you!

More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20, to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

male-hand-taking-australian-bank-260nw-1716396631.jpg copy.png
A significant increase in the pension and allowance payments for more than 4.7 million Australians is expected to come into effect this month. Credit: Shutterstock.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight and couples will now enjoy an extra $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings their payments to $1,064 and $1,604 respectively.

Non-pensioners who rely on Centrelink payments will also get some relief. Here’s a breakdown:

• JobSeeker and ABSTUDY payments will increase by $24.70 bringing the fortnight payment to $701.90 for single recipients aged over 22 with no children.
• Parenting Payments will rise by $33.90 to $967.90 a fortnight for single parents.
• Commonwealth Rent Assistance will increase by $5.60 for singles, $6.58 for recipients with two children, and another $7.42 for families with three or more kids.

Centrelink payment increases (effective March 20)_.jpg
Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation, ensuring that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation

Surprisingly, the increase in pension payments has outpaced that of wages, with pensions rising at twice the rate of wages in recent months.

In September, pensions saw a significant increase of 4%, followed by another substantial hike of 3.7% in March.

In contrast, Australian wages rose by 3.3 per cent last year, which was the quickest pace in ten years. However, this increase was far below the inflation rate, which stood at 7.8 per cent - the highest since 1990.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said the good news will be a real ‘lift’ for those relying on welfare payments, who have felt the pinch of increasing prices on commodities.

She remarked: ‘Indexation is a pillar of our social security system and we want more money in the pockets of everyday Australians so they can better afford essentials.’

'Australia's social security system exists to support our most vulnerable citizens, and we know they are feeling the pinch.'

As exciting as this news is, we must accept that it’s not truly ‘rainbows and unicorns’. We still have to brace ourselves with the likelihood of double-digit mortgage hikes, with the RBA tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise on Tuesday.

The cash rate is expected to increase to 3.6 per cent from 3.35 per cent after the RBA’s comments last month suggested it was growing impatient with high inflation.

This increase represents a 63.8 per cent rise in repayments. At that time, the major banks were providing an average fixed rate of 1.92 per cent.

It should be noted that Australia’s biggest lender, Commonwealth Bank, is currently offering a one-year fixed rate of 5.99%.

Meanwhile, NAB has raised its variable rate for borrowers with a mortgage of less than 20% deposit by 0.2 percentage points to 6.44%.

Key Takeaways

• More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20.
  • Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, couples will enjoy an extra $56.40 and other welfare recipients will receive increases.
  • The increase comes as part of twice-yearly indexation, to ensure that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation.
  • The RBA is tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise. Major banks are offering fixed rates of up to 5.99%.

So, there you have it, folks! While many pensioners welcome this boost, we must be realistic and recognise that it's not a quick fix. As pensions grow, so does inflation and the cost of living.

This creates a vicious cycle where pensioners are forced to tighten their budgets even further just to keep up or find themselves falling behind.

What are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think the payment boosts offer enough relief for those who live on fixed incomes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Thank you for all the info. Senior Discount Club is getting better and better every day. I now actually read the news each day, but who are Jonathan, Vella, Sean, James, Sethia, April, Jarred, Ally & Maddie? The more I read the more I'd like to know the faces behind the names😂👍 to appreciate more.Maybe provide pictures of you?

I receive compensaion from Dust Diceease Board for my Wife and I . Our pensions Drop as this is classed as earnings

• Sad
Reactions: Jenny07
You are not going to get the full increase until there has been a clear 14 days since 20 March ... the increase you are seeing in your Centrelink account is pro-rata for the period from 20 March until 2 days before your payment date (which is the cut-off for your pension).
Correct, I was told April 5th would be the day of the increase for me. I’m not sure if everyone gets their age pension on the same day, or if it has to do with the day you are approved for it and fortnightly from then.
Does anyone know this?

OLD AGE PENSIONS ARE NOT WELFARE WE PAID OUR TAXES THERE WAS A SEPERATE PENSION WHICH EAS PAID BY ALL WORKERS BUT AS USUAL IT WAS TAKEN BY GOVERMENT TO PAY FOR THE 1939-1945 WAR THE THEY INCREASED TAX BY A SMALL PERCENTAGE AND SAID YOU WOULD GET A PENSION WHEN YOU TURNED 65 I REITERATE PENSION NOT WELFARE
I Agree the tax increase after the war then built up again until the Howard Costello years when a sneaky piece of legislation allowed them to move that money to consolidated revenue hey presto the much lauded Costello Surplus!!! and we are screwed again!!!

Well folks I come back to what I have been telling my friends time and time again preparation, preparation, preparation for those who have been retired for some time there is unfortunately little that you can do, however for those about to retire you need to prepare. Make no mistake Governments would prefer that we all pass away at or before 67 yrs Joe Hockey made that abundantly clear in 2015 when he increased the retirement age. So I took the hint and prepared. So if you are able, preparation is the key, own your home if you can, make your home as self sufficient as you can (solar, water, etc) we have done this and our living costs are consequently very low. an example is the total cost of all utilities over the last quarter (electric, water, sewerage) was $102.60 which is $15.78/ fortnight which included charging a Plug in Hybrid Vehicle PHEV. We don't have a lot of savings BUT we are able to live very comfortably and cheaply.

You were getting 21% electricity rebate? Here in Victoria the concession on electricity bills was 17.5% all along.
My rebates on electricity account is then counter balanced by additionsl fees which then balances the final figure back to the original account and so there is no discount at all.. it's just presenting numbers that do nothing.. then pay attention to estimated accounts when they are they are unable to present for a reading for whatever reading they conjure up as they sun charged you with a reading fee that they have estimated only. Our purse pockets are a lucky dip for whoever wants a handout at our expense imo..

As the cost of living continues to rise, many people are feeling the pinch. However, those living on fixed incomes, such as pensioners, are often hit the hardest.

With limited funds available, many struggle to make ends meet and afford necessities like food, housing, and healthcare.

For these individuals, any increase in their pension payments can be a welcome relief, providing them with some much-needed financial support.

If you’re one of those people who are looking forward to payment boosts, then we’ve got news for you!

More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20, to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

View attachment 15005
A significant increase in the pension and allowance payments for more than 4.7 million Australians is expected to come into effect this month. Credit: Shutterstock.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight and couples will now enjoy an extra $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings their payments to $1,064 and $1,604 respectively.

Non-pensioners who rely on Centrelink payments will also get some relief. Here’s a breakdown:

• JobSeeker and ABSTUDY payments will increase by $24.70 bringing the fortnight payment to $701.90 for single recipients aged over 22 with no children.
• Parenting Payments will rise by $33.90 to $967.90 a fortnight for single parents.
• Commonwealth Rent Assistance will increase by $5.60 for singles, $6.58 for recipients with two children, and another $7.42 for families with three or more kids.

View attachment 15021

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation, ensuring that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation

Surprisingly, the increase in pension payments has outpaced that of wages, with pensions rising at twice the rate of wages in recent months.

In September, pensions saw a significant increase of 4%, followed by another substantial hike of 3.7% in March.

In contrast, Australian wages rose by 3.3 per cent last year, which was the quickest pace in ten years. However, this increase was far below the inflation rate, which stood at 7.8 per cent - the highest since 1990.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said the good news will be a real ‘lift’ for those relying on welfare payments, who have felt the pinch of increasing prices on commodities.

She remarked: ‘Indexation is a pillar of our social security system and we want more money in the pockets of everyday Australians so they can better afford essentials.’

'Australia's social security system exists to support our most vulnerable citizens, and we know they are feeling the pinch.'

As exciting as this news is, we must accept that it’s not truly ‘rainbows and unicorns’. We still have to brace ourselves with the likelihood of double-digit mortgage hikes, with the RBA tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise on Tuesday.

The cash rate is expected to increase to 3.6 per cent from 3.35 per cent after the RBA’s comments last month suggested it was growing impatient with high inflation.

This increase represents a 63.8 per cent rise in repayments. At that time, the major banks were providing an average fixed rate of 1.92 per cent.

It should be noted that Australia’s biggest lender, Commonwealth Bank, is currently offering a one-year fixed rate of 5.99%.

Meanwhile, NAB has raised its variable rate for borrowers with a mortgage of less than 20% deposit by 0.2 percentage points to 6.44%.

Key Takeaways

• More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20.
  • Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, couples will enjoy an extra $56.40 and other welfare recipients will receive increases.
  • The increase comes as part of twice-yearly indexation, to ensure that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation.
  • The RBA is tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise. Major banks are offering fixed rates of up to 5.99%.

So, there you have it, folks! While many pensioners welcome this boost, we must be realistic and recognise that it's not a quick fix. As pensions grow, so does inflation and the cost of living.

This creates a vicious cycle where pensioners are forced to tighten their budgets even further just to keep up or find themselves falling behind.

What are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think the payment boosts offer enough relief for those who live on fixed incomes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
It’s good to compare increases in the pension to incomes getting wage increases. Please take into account that if the cost of living increases are, for example, $10 per fortnight the pensioner get only 27% of that increase. Where as an income earner gets an increase based on the full $10, 100% of the cost of living increase. Then if you live in Government funded housing they will take 25% of the increase. I am not complaining about my pension, where would I be without it. I am very lucky to have what I have. I suppose I am bringing into conversation that every time inflation goes up $10 the pension gets a rise of $2.70. That equates to $7.30 below the inflation. Every time this happens the pension falls behind buy 73%. Add that up over just the short term and you can very easily see how far behind the pension gets in comparison to what the cost of living is. The silver lining is the every little bit helps.

Sorry for you Rotten Ronnie, at least you have a secure roof over your heads. Some of us are trying to pay mortgages . Be grateful , there is always someone worse off. 🥰
And some of us are trying to pay private rents - all in all everyone is paying rent of some sort or a mortgage - at least with a mortgage, you are buying your own place, and if a person chooses too can sell it - so in effect it still remains also an asset - anyone who has a roof over there heads, whether it be private rent, a mortgage, public housing, share housing, is safe & secure whilst they have it - there are so many now - living in cars, sheds-if they are lucky, and on the streets - that is a disgrace for anyone to have to experience in this out beautiful country!

My landlords have noted with delight that my pension is due to be upgraded and have raised my rent to take all of the raise. I live in an ex- veterans village in Victoria and served for 22 years. The motto for our management is - We serve those who served. Haha! It’s just a joke. I also have to pay for medication prescribed by my doctors which isn’t covered by the PBS. This costs over $150 a month. I am very grateful for a roof over my head and for my disability pension, however all is not well with the lack of understanding from overpaid politicians and the employees of Centrelink who think it’s fine for people over 65 to have to find employment in the current job market especially when health is compromised after doing physically tough work since leaving school. Bodies are not machines. You cannot go to Bunnings and buy spare parts. You have to wait several years for replace surgeries and if your health is compromised by other illnesses you then become ineligible all together. Judith S.

View attachment 15005

View attachment 15021

Key Takeaways

Pension amounts and wages seem to be way behind the cost of living, so many are on the bread line. Up these rates, is the first thing so more don’t go on the job seeker, invalid and seniors pension - that’s my suggestion to government.

Sit down, MINISTERS, and put together just the cost of actual barest minimum grocery requirements for a family of 4 to live on, not counting the cost of rent, utilities, transport to and from work and the bare essentials to live from day to day. I’m sure you will find there is a huge discrepancy between living a normal life and living on and below the breadline and on the streets begging for food and money. Pay yourselves this amount and start from scratch buying food for your family - I would bet you cannot, and don’t know how to, eat for a week with the amount you are paying these people.

Reactions: Me-Ant and Jenny07
There is never enough for some people. No matter the amount provided! Lets all be thankful the welfare of the little people are prioritised by this government
Little People? Guess you'd be a big person then. And clearly not relying on 'welfare', a term I resent. Welfare is something give free; a pension has been earned by paying tax for 60 years.

Thank$
Sadly pensioners in Housing SA homes lose 25% of every cost of living or other payments that aren't one off payments :( A single gets $9.375 less to pay for other items . $28.125 per fortnight.
It's the same here in nsw. I'm 63 and lost my job and have to survive on jobseekers. I'm grateful I'm in housing or I would be on the streets

I wonder what the total Payment figure is, funded by Taxpayers, for all Centrelink Payments.

Taxpayers must willingly support Pensions/ Allowances, as do I, but it must be a very large figure.

Grateful for the increase as a single pensioner. It will not even cover the extra $600 in electricity cost increases since last May. So already eaten up in increased cost of living pressure.. Still not going to get a holiday anytime soon!
Our electricity bill is around $50 a month. Admittedly we have a small one kilowatt solar system.
Most of our bill is the "service charge" (what service ?).
If your bill has increased $600 in 10 months, as a single pensioner, maybe you need to investigate other providers costs.

If you are moaning re electricity bills then you probably voted the wrong way. This government is getting away with murder. The money they have wasted so far on so-called clean energy would have fixed up all the coal-producing energy and then some. THEN no moaning. When I came here 1993, I paid $93 for 3 months back in NZ I paid $100 for one month, and I worked for a power board. Alas, times change and we need to do the same and possibly be grateful for small mercies.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: Jenny07 and Me-Ant
The increase is pathetic. Hardly helps at all. We work and pay taxes all our lives and the govt treats pensioners like 3rd class citizens. What comes next. Old age euthanasia to save money.
“What comes next. Old age euthanasia to save money.” Don’t let the politicians get in on the act. It will probably have been considered, but given the reaction to Robodebt, it has probably been shelved (for the moment)…

Reactions: Jenny07 and Rjwatto
If you are moaning re electricity bills then you probably voted the wrong way. This government is getting away with murder. The money they have wasted so far on so-called clean energy would have fixed up all the coal-producing energy and then some. THEN no moaning. When I came here 1993, I paid $93 for 3 months back in NZ I paid $100 for one month, and I worked for a power board. Alas, times change and we need to do the same and possibly be grateful for small mercies.
Given the previous Fed Gov’ts proposal (which only came to light AFTER the election) to increase ALL Energy charges, I don’t see how that comment is appropriate…

Pensioner payments will always be like a dog chasing its tail you will never be better off you will just have enough to survive that all politians should be made to live on pension payments and see how long they last my guess would no even be the fortnight between payments they would spend more in a few days on lattes than the small indexation rise

Reactions: Jenny07 and Maurie7
In addition to my previous thoughts on this, I think that as the cost of living has been increasing every week and all the government is doing is giving a "snapshot increase". Below is a chart showing what a fortnightly cost of living increase looks like to achieve the sum being "given" next week. In other words, pensioners should have been receiving and continue to receive an amount which matches the rise in costs every fortnight. This means we should be getting "back pay" for all the times the pension has failed to keep up. On these figures, Singles should get $243.75 and Couples $366.60 for the period. And the coming six months will be worse!

Date​
Singles​
Couples​
21/09/22​
$2.68​
$4.03​
05/10/22​
$5.36​
$8.06​
19/10/22​
$8.04​
$12.09​